PDA

View Full Version : Best "outros" in songs?

XYlophonetreeZ
07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Whatta gay term.

But anyway, we had one of these threads for the best intros in songs a while back, so I thought it made sense to do this one.

First, the only 3 that matter:

The Beatles- Hey Jude
Simon & Garfunkel- The Boxer
The Cooper Temple Clause- Into My Arms

Now, the rest, in no order except the order I think of them.

Minus the Bear- Pachuca Sunrise
AFI- Affliction
Foo Fighters- On the Mend
Jimi Hendrix- Angel
The Books- There is No There
Midtown- Give it Up
Nifewaste- Married to a Robot
Sponge- Molly
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Wet Sand
Phoenix- Victim of the Crime
System of the Down- Toxicity

Hmm, actually this was a lot harder than the intros because so many bands pussyfoot around having to write an ending that's actually good. Usually by either fading out or letting the last chord ring and going "DRUMROLL! DRUMROLL! ABRUPT REPETITION OF FINAL POWERCHORD!"

Nineteen Seventy Nine
07-19-2006, 07:21 PM
"Otherside"- Red Hot Chili Peppers is my all-time favorite. I love the back-up vocals and how they go from the solo back to the chorus.

"I Was A Teenage Hand Model"- Queens of the Stone Age: The simplicity in the end of the song makes it memorable.

"Zero"- Smashing Pumpkins: By the end of the song, I just can't help but think, wow.

"Cut The Curtains"- Billy Talent: They fade away the singing making it sound like the song's over, and then explodes with a louder, improved chorus.

0r4ng3
07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Working Class Whore by Pulley has a good outro. It has a nice, calm feeling to it.

Devil in a Midnight Mass by Billy Talent is good, too. I love that whole "whisper whisper" part at the end.

Exsanguination by AFI is another good one. For the first two choruses, it's just vocals and drumming, but in the very last one, they add guitar, which gives it this neat effect.

Edit:
Oh, and Mass Nerder by the Descendents has a great one.

We must read!
We must read!
We must read!
We must read!
Somebody get me a book!

Retard
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
the only one i can think of is Hopeless by Goldfinger.

great hardcore/metal breakdown until it fades away.

0r4ng3
07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
According to the song playing on my iTunes, Million Miles Away has a cool outro. Y'know, with the four vocal tracks, the increased cymbaling of the drums, that whole thing is just powerful at the end.

All About Eve
07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah, that's the only reason I ever listen to Million Miles away.

Octavarium's is good, because it completes the circle by ending with the same intro as track one.

Some Apocalyptica songs have good "outros" too.

Llamas
07-20-2006, 12:56 AM
BEGINNINGS- CHICAGO

hands down.

Marco
07-20-2006, 01:24 AM
-Million Miles Away - The Offspring
-mOBSCENE - Marilyn Manson
-Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day
-I Believe in a Thing Called Love - The Darkness
-Still Waiting - Sum 41
-any Queen live song
-Wore Out the Soles of My Party Boots - NOFX
-Thank You for the Venom - My Chemical Romance
-The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
-Punk Rock 101 - Bowling for Soup

Retard
07-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Operation MOVE by Leftover Crack has a really great outro, gives me chills almost everytime i listen to it.

and again thats all i can really think of.

bd007h
07-20-2006, 09:55 AM
My favorite is New Way Home by the Foo Fighters. The song has the perfect outro to end the album.

coke_a_holic
07-20-2006, 10:18 AM
The Stray Cat Strut by the Stray Cats has the greatest outro ever. Similarly, Harold of the Rocks by Primus has a great outro, too.

Yatesy
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
When Foo Fighters perform My Hero live, the ending is just perfect. they sort of have a slow corus then they go into some really funky guitar riff. I love it.

Knights of Cydonia by Muse also ends on a high, the riff alone is just brilliant, great way to end the album.

I'll add more when I can think of more.

bd007h
07-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Just remembered two more. Undone (The Sweater Song) and Only In Dreams by Weezer

Mooose
07-20-2006, 01:15 PM
2 best are Seek and Destroy by Metallica and Eyes of a Criminal by Chimaira

BREAK
07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
The Beatles- Hey Jude

You said it. What's the point?

Retard
07-21-2006, 09:32 PM
i hate Hey Jude's Outro way to fucking long.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
You continue to live up to your name.

0r4ng3
07-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Don't we all, XYlophonetreeZ?

Thomas
07-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with Million Miles Away.

As far as The Offspring go, I love Pay The Man's, I'll Be Waiting's (now let me close my eyes because I don't wanna see anything anymore...), and Hypodermic's endings were my favorites.

I actually like Hey Jude's outtro, even though it is a bit long. Stairway to Heaven, Rock and Roll (also Led Zeppelin), and, however cheesy it may be, Rush's 2112 Overture has also been one of my favorite outtros ever.

EDIT: Faith no More's "Epic" is awesome, too.

Come out and smash'em up!
07-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Nirvana rape me and Terretorial pissing
System of a down - soil

Living in Chaos
07-25-2006, 03:43 AM
With The Offspring, I really liked the ending of Way Down the Line.

Harnum
07-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Dimension - Wolfmother
Where Eagles Have Been - Wolfmother

Ok, I like them a lot!

BREAK
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
In all seriousness, I present to you Jake's top 10 rock codas:

10. The Appleseed Cast - Steps and Numbers

Just a lovely, repetitive guitar figure with a bunch of moodilicious organs and noises droning in the background. Heavenly.

9. U2 - Gloria

Overdubbed guitars, overdubbed voices, and probably overdubbed drums make up this bombastic outro, creating the effect of a choir singing a hymn or an army of Bonos saying "Gloooooria! Gloriiiiia!" over and over again. This is what all Christian rock should be like.

8. Faith No More - A Small Victory

After plowing through a variety of great hooks both musical and vocal, this song finally peters out with Mike Patton intoning "If I speak at one constant volume/at one constant pitch/at one constant rhythm/right into your ear/you still won't hear." Anthemic!

7. Botch - C. Thomas Howell as The 'Soul Man'

This outro actually constitutes the entire second half of the song, when it loses it thrashing speed and technical chaos and suddenly becomes a lumbering, three-note pattern with all kinds of ridiculous/impressive doubled guitars on top and just when you think it's over, it jolts back to life for the finale. Wicked-ass!

6. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Monsoon

Pseudo-classical musical crescendo with strings and crap. Sweeping, majestic, triumphant end to a song that builds up to nothing.

5. Converge - Jane Doe

A massive, 11-minute Zeppelin-esque monstrosity, this epic moves through several sections of pounding, screaming, guitar wailing and even some actual melody incorporated along the way before slamming headlong into its abusive finish, a huge buildup that just fades out without seeming to lose any of its power.

4. Settlefish - We Please The Night, Drama

Another big buildup, this one occurs at the end of a rather understated song, gradually taking on a shape of its own, gaining new intensity and becoming a payoff in itself.

3. At The Drive-In

YEAAAAAH. YEAAAAH. YEAAAAH. YEAAAAAH. Let's just say this song wouldn't be nearly half as good without the ending.

2. Mission of Burma - Red

Oooooo-ooo-OOOO-oooo. Ooooooo-ooo-OOOO-oooo. Then the squealing tape loop sort of scratches deep marks into your head.

1. Fugazi - Epic Problem

One of those beautiful choruses that come out of nowhere, following a tremendously asskicking guitar section that just lays waste to the entire first part of the song (which is good by itself). No wonder they saved it for the end. The best song from the best band ever.

BREAK
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
With The Offspring, I really liked the ending of Way Down the Line.

Didn't someone once say it was a rip off of "D'yer Mak'r"?

I Make SweetLove 2Nirvana
07-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Nirvana rape me and Terretorial pissing

ya!! me 2!!

opivy21
07-25-2006, 09:59 AM
California Uber Alles.

Jakebert
07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Sonic Youth- Total Trash.

Retard
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
the ending to the last song on AFI's new album is a good way to end both the song and the cd.

and even though u all wont agree i think the way Instant Crassic on Wolves in Wolves Clothing is pretty good, since it goes along with the way Crass would end their songs.

Goodnight, by the beatles has a better outro than fucking hey jude.

BREAK
08-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Botch - C. Thomas Howell as The 'Soul Man'

This one has really been haunting me lately, so I felt the need to re-emphasize how much I love it. I should've made it number one. It's difficult to put into words exactly what visceral feeling I get from this song (sure did a shitty job describing it in my original post), but imagine something like an insanely heavy barrage of guitars, drums and screaming that suddenly gives way to a psuedo-psychedelic midtempo doubled guitar part that moves and grooves until everything drops out except for the 3-note bassline. But then the screaming and the guitars and drums reenter in an monolithic, thundering crash and take on an entirely new dimension, like the feeling of the destructive force of a thousand destroying angels coming to burn all the proud and strong on this earth, finally pouding to its close, leaving a ponderous, evil little guitar riff to sweep up the wreckage. Truly this is a sonic dead end, as any band even attempting to approximate the sheer power and brutality of this tune can only come off sounding ridiculous. Botch somehow made it work. The Dillinger Escape Plan and Converge sound like little kids compared to this.

pretty fly 88
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
When I saw Weezer play "Photograph" live, they added part of Blur's "Song 2" at the end. I thought that was an awesome outro.

SaiKYoU
08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
LOCOMOTIVE - Guns n' Roses

yarock
02-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Running across this thread and with all the new album hype, I gotta say Hammerhead has a really strong outro.

Llamas
02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
BEGINNINGS- CHICAGO

hands down.

It's not often that I agree with 2006 Llamas, but here, I was spot on. Best outro EVER.

Omni
02-12-2012, 08:48 PM
"The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac.
"Shadow on the Sun" by Audioslave.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
The Beatles- Hey Jude
Minus the Bear- Pachuca Sunrise
Foo Fighters- On the Mend
Jimi Hendrix- Angel
Midtown- Give it Up
Sponge- Molly
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Wet Sand
I included some stupid ones in my original list, but these are all still pretty good. Except Wet Sand's is more like the entire second half of the song rather than an outro.

Gotta add "Surgeon" by St. Vincent for sure.

As an aside, Hammerhead is probably my favorite Offspring song of all time, which is interesting because RAFRAG was the only album to come out after I stopped being a fanatical Offspring fan.

Llamas
02-13-2012, 05:04 AM
As an aside, Hammerhead is probably my favorite Offspring song of all time, which is interesting because RAFRAG was the only album to come out after I stopped being a fanatical Offspring fan.

Ha, you know, RFRG is actually my favorite Offspring album - and the same is true for me, that it's the only album that came out after I stopped being a crazy fan. Though the only ones that came out WHILE I was obsessed were CO1 and Splinter, considering Americana was my introduction to the band.

samseby
02-26-2012, 02:26 AM
The Who - Baba O'Riley
But then again the whole song is a masterpiece ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZerKlpIk9A

WebDudette
02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
the Blood Brothers - the Shame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlOzO_XyFL0)

the song is 5:30 minutes of build up, then is just ends, like 'fuck you.' I'm pretty sure that's what they were trying to get across, 'fuck you.'

this is still the first song I think of when someone asks me about album outros, but I think it fits for this. I'll try to think of some more.

bighead384
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I think there's this song by I think Pearl Jam. It was a popular single.

It's sort of a haunting melody. It's a vocal line that's in a lower octave in the first part of the song, and then in the outro, it's a higher octave and is played on guitar.

Uh, I don't like it all that much though, but it's such an outro. Like, totally an outro.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-28-2012, 04:24 PM

the song is 5:30 minutes of build up, then is just ends, like 'fuck you.' I'm pretty sure that's what they were trying to get across, 'fuck you.'

this is still the first song I think of when someone asks me about album outros, but I think it fits for this. I'll try to think of some more.
I always thought the same thing. There are a few other songs like that too- the earliest one I can think of is The Beatles- I Want You (She's So Heavy). I think that ended the A-side of Abbey Road.

I like the ending, but on the whole The Shame isn't one of my favorite Blood Brothers songs.

nieh
02-28-2012, 04:54 PM

That song has always sounded to me like a bunch of broken people trying to make something beautiful. I love it.

WebDudette
02-29-2012, 01:35 AM
I always thought the same thing. There are a few other songs like that too- the earliest one I can think of is The Beatles- I Want You (She's So Heavy). I think that ended the A-side of Abbey Road.

I like the ending, but on the whole The Shame isn't one of my favorite Blood Brothers songs.

Yeah, it's not my favorite stand alone song, but I love the way it wraps up the whole album. I think the Blood Brothers had a great way of ending albums, Devastor and Giant Swan are both great outros as well.

Semi-related, does anyone else really fucking love when outros are just a big clusterfuck of all the albums other songs? It's not always outros, Mae Shi did it in the middle of HLLLYH and I don't particularly like that song because it's 11 minutes long. But in a lot of cases having one track that borrows from every other track is an awesome thing to do.

bighead384
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Chop Suey by System of a Down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY&ob=av2e

Doesn't have to be long to be a friggin' perfect outro.

Defender
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Chop Suey by System of a Down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY&ob=av2e

Doesn't have to be long to be a friggin' perfect outro.

Yeah! That's awesome!

frunsi
04-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Eddie, Bruce And Paul by NOFX

Mindblowingly perfect two-minute guitar solo (sometimes two-part) in style of Iron Maiden, falsetto singing and some really neat basslines/guitar riffs. Plus, highspeed punk rock drumming at its best.

Gregmau5
04-24-2012, 05:22 AM
We Are One has a perfect outro.

Also, Killing In The Name by RATM.