PDA

View Full Version : Da

Noodles is gay
12-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Anyone using the word 'da' instead of 'the' deserves to be shot.

Also:

This is a comma; ',' please use it correctly. They indicate a slight pause in the spoken sentence and used where there is a listing of items or to separate a non-restrictive clause or phrase from a main clause.

They're = they are.
Their = belonging to.
There is a difference, please note it and use it. 'There' is another word, also different to the preceding two, please use it correctly too.

It's = it is.
Its = indicates possession.

Sorry to be so meticulous, however I felt this issue needed to be addressed.

Flame ahead! :D

Tijs
12-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Annoys the crap out of me too. But this isn't going to help. N00bs are just too.. stupid.

Offspring_01
12-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Annoys the crap out of me too. But this isn't going to help. N00bs are just too.. stupid.

Well said :D

Tizzalicious
12-18-2004, 04:02 PM
They're = they are.
Their = belonging to.
There is a difference, please note it and use it. 'There' is another word, also different to the preceding two, please use it correctly too.

This, is SOOOO annoying. Why is it that people who aren't even English usually make less mistakes doing that than people who are?

Izie
12-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Da = yes.
Da in the function of "the" = pointless, stupid, and completely incorrect in every way.

Ignore this, I'm being strange.

nieh
12-18-2004, 04:04 PM
This is a comma; ',' please use it correctly. They indicate a slight pause in the spoken sentence and used where there is a listing of items or to separate a non-restrictive clause or phrase from a main clause.

This is a comma:",". Please use it correctly. They indicate a slight pause in the spoken sentence, are used whenever there is a listing of items, and to separate a non-restrictive clause or phrase from a main clause.

Sorry to be so meticulous; however, I felt this issue needed to be addressed.

the_GoDdEsS
12-18-2004, 04:06 PM
I love grammar nazis.

Zee
12-18-2004, 04:18 PM
This, is SOOOO annoying. Why is it that people who aren't even English usually make less mistakes doing that than people who are?

Exactly, they are mostly native English speakers who writes like that.

ThrashedThrasher
12-18-2004, 04:27 PM
You sound like my English teacher, although she stupid and doesn't do what she tells us to do.

wliethof
12-18-2004, 04:33 PM
weeeee i agree with everything on that. except that i don't use capitals and 's a lot.

Chainsaw
12-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks, i finally understood what's the difference between its or it's :)

wheelchairman
12-18-2004, 05:00 PM
although she stupid and doesn't do what she tells us to do.
I nearly crapped myself.

Noodles is gay
12-18-2004, 05:46 PM
This is a comma:",". Please use it correctly. They indicate a slight pause in the spoken sentence, are used whenever there is a listing of items, and to separate a non-restrictive clause or phrase from a main clause.

Sorry to be so meticulous; however, I felt this issue needed to be addressed.

:confused: If we are being completely pedantic here, your version is actually grammatically worse than mine. You have missed out the word Ďandí and instead used a comma, however, I actually accidentally missed out the 'are' -the comma wasn't required (yes I admit it, even the best make some mistakes. But I was drinking tea, eating tuna and incredibly annoyed at a poster, who shall remain nameless, at the same time).

Random fact: the word grammar comes from the Ancient Greek word; gramma, meaning something written :D

GreenTerror
12-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Anyone using the word 'da' instead of 'the' deserves to be shot.

Also:

They're = they are.
Their = belonging to.

It's = it is.
Its = indicates possession.

Flame ahead! :D

some people on here really need to copy and paste that into Word and save it.

nieh
12-18-2004, 07:23 PM
:confused: If we are being completely pedantic here, your version is actually grammatically worse than mine. You have missed out the word Ďandí and instead used a comma, however, I actually accidentally missed out the 'are' -the comma wasn't required (yes I admit it, even the best make some mistakes. But I was drinking tea, eating tuna and incredibly annoyed at a poster, who shall remain nameless, at the same time).

Random fact: the word grammar comes from the Ancient Greek word; gramma, meaning something written :D

if you're making a list of three or more things things:
"I'm going to read, write, and take a crap"
then you only include the word "and" before the last one, not in between each and every item in that list. You wouldn't say "I'm going to read and write and take a crap"

Up until about a week ago, I never heard the word "pedantic", but since then I've heard it about 20 times...did linguists just recently discover its existence or something?

ThrashedThrasher
12-18-2004, 08:07 PM
I nearly crapped myself.
Fuck off, I was on the phone when I typed that, I can't multi-task.