PDA

View Full Version : Post-rock.

Jakebert
07-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Lately I've been really getting into Pelican and Godspeed! You Black Emporer, and I'm just curious if there's any other bands similar to those that I should look into.

Yatesy
07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Hmm I'd try Isis, they're really good. And Pelican=excellent choice in music!

nieh
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Panopticon by Isis is amazing but I wasn't too fond of the earlier stuff I heard by them.
Sigur Ros are inconsistent but are awesome when they're on. Check out Untitled #8 (The Pop Song).
Slint's album Spiderland is generally regarded as one of the best as well as being the first. It's WAY overrated among the people that have heard it but it's not bad.

Lars
07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Isis are playing the entire of Oceanic on Sunday in London. I'm hoping to catch it.

Yatesy
07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Isis are playing the entire of Oceanic on Sunday in London. I'm hoping to catch it.

That reminds me, I need to download that album.

bd007h
07-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Isis is awesome. I have Oceanic, Panopticon, and Red Sea. So far I've only listened to Panopticon in full though

DeAtHsTaR
07-20-2006, 01:15 PM
POST-rock?

Fuck genres, man. It's basically saying that rock is dead.

BREAK
07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
In addition to Slint and Isis (who aren't really post-rock, but listen to them anyway) you may find Mogwai and Murder By Death to your liking. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead and The Appleseed Cast are two bands who kind of blend post-rock with post-hardcore and who rule, also.

Lars
07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of DeadSomeone scared me into thinking I missed some tour of theirs over here, but it turned out he went and saw them in Holland. Extreme disappointment was averted. Hopefully later on in the year as all things seem to be pointing towards.

Yatesy
07-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I've always been curious about ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead but never got round to actually listening to them. Any songs/albums I should look out for?

Jakebert
07-20-2006, 04:37 PM
POST-rock? Fuck genres, man. It's basically saying that rock is dead.

Shut up. If you have nothing to say, just don't post.

As for everyone else: thanks, I'll check those out next time I go on a downloading spree.

BREAK
07-21-2006, 06:52 PM
I've always been curious about ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead but never got round to actually listening to them. Any songs/albums I should look out for?

Start with either Source Tags & Codes or The Secret of Elena's Tomb, they're both really good. Don't bother with their other stuff unless you become a really huge fan somehow.

Thomas
07-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Call me stupid if you want, but what exacly is post-rock? how would you define it? What mainstream bands would be considered post-rock?

0r4ng3
07-21-2006, 09:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_rock

I don't know much about it, either.

Jakebert
07-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Call me stupid if you want, but what exacly is post-rock? how would you define it? What mainstream bands would be considered post-rock?

The Wiki page should explain the overall idea, but I want to add that there really aren't any mainstream post-rock bands because it's almost always instrumental.

Tired_Of_You
07-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Looking at the list of post rock bands from Wikipedia I found out that The Album Leaf is apparently post rock. I really like what I've heard from them. I also realised that I like quite a few bands from that list ; Sigur Ros, Mum, etc.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, apparently The Mercury Program count as post-rock too. I love them when I'm in the right kind of mellow mood. Usually I listen to them while falling asleep or when driving home alone late at night.