PDA

View Full Version : Punchline?

All About Eve
07-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Tomorrow I'm seeing a Lucky Boys Confusion concert, and Punchline is going to be there as well. I'm wondering if anyone knows about them and if they're good or not. Even if they're bad it won't stop me from going, I'm just curious.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I saw them last night! LBC rocked of course (will this be your first time seeing them?) even though their set was a little short. As for Punchline, their music wasn't horrible on its own, but their singer and bassist would not shut the fuck up with their stupid jokes, they constantly pretty much pleaded with the fans to get their hands in the air and make some noise, and generally acted like fags.

Also, the Bowling for Soup singer has the most scarily high-pitched voice I've ever heard in my life. If you think his singing voice sounds prepubescent, oh man, wait until you hear him speak! I only stuck around for maybe 4 songs, but I was genuinely creeped out listening to this guy. And as you've probably seen, their guitarist is the fattest motherfucking guy on the planet. It's actually amazing that he's able to put his fingers on one string at a time.

The real highlight, though: Army of Freshmen. Basically an American J-Pop band, and their lead singer is the least talented person I've ever seen. They have the most hilariously cheesy lyrics, like "To her I was some dude, but to me she was my everything!" and "I'm working on a battleplan and wishing on a star, but I doubt that she'd go out with me 'cuz I don't have a car." Seriously though, their live show is fairly entertaining because (a) you can't hear their horrible lead singer, and (b) one of their keyboard players goes fucking crazy and has immeasurable energy.

Llamas
07-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I caught LBC and punchline recently... didn't catch AOF or BFS (whom I hate). punchline is interesting. Live, they sound rather emo. Their cd is much more pop punk. I really enjoy the "37 everywhere" cd. They put on a decent show, but LBC's was better. :)

Fifty-Four Forty or Fight
07-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I have never heard of Punchline, so I cannot tell you about them.

All About Eve
07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah, first time seeing LBC. Idk if AoF will be there. I don't especially like Bowling for Soup, but I do think they'd be funny.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM
If you're brave, stick around long enough to at least hear the BfS guy say a few things. Holy God, I'm getting shivers.

I think AoF are supposed to be there. I was sorta kidding about them being the highlight, but nonetheless they're an amusing band, as in unintentionally pathetic. Been to their myspace yet? (http://www.myspace.com/armyoffreshmen) Includes a video for "Juliet," their new single, and I have to say it's an instant Army of Freshmen classic. Quintessential. Shakespeare would be proud of their stirring homage.

Have fun losing your LBC virginity.

All About Eve
07-28-2006, 12:02 AM
LBC's set was way too short, and they didn't do enough talking or jokes or anything. I actually stayed through the whole BfS set, because they're so funny.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, they had a time slot to fill. If they did more talking and jokes then their set would have been even shorter. Double-edged sword. But yeah, it still sucked that their setlist was so short. Unfortunately it's rare to catch them as the headlining act unless you go to a Chicago show. Which I was lucky enough to do one time. It was before Commitment even came out, so they played almost the entire Throwing the Game album.

And I wish they'd closed with 3 to 10 like they always used to.

All About Eve
07-28-2006, 09:46 AM
They only even played Bossman from Throwing the Game, and didn't even have the reggae part. =(

They're way to good to not have had their own tour by now. They closed with Cigarretes, although Medicine and Gasoline would have been much better.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Only Bossman? They didn't do their 15-minute long rendition of Do You Miss Me?

All About Eve
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh right, that one too. They wasted a lot of time on that, most of the "entertainment" in that was kind of boring.

Bowling for Soup was hilarious, either way. On Punk Rock 101, the last song, right before the last chorus, they go, "Ladies and gentlemen, you've been a great crowd, and now you get to experience something awesome. We are now going to take our first mid-show beer break." And they stop playing, go sit down, and drink beer for about a minute.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I've gotta be straight with you, man. Throughout this thread so far I've just been holding back my disappointment and ire at your reaction to the show so far. I thought Punchline's and BfS's stage shenanigans were mostly what made them unwatchable and lame, and LBC's moderate approach to the jokes and shenanigans was a big reason why they were good. I guess I'm more of the "shut up and play some fuckin' tunes" concertgoing persuasion. Showmanship and energy is great, but I prefer it while they're playing music. Shit, it doesn't even have to be good music, but that's why I go to the concerts. Perfect example: Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to one of their albums ever, but they're the best live act I've ever seen.

All About Eve
07-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I respect that. I consider the inbetween stuff part of the act, though. I thought Bowling for Soup was very funny, and actually enjoyed a lot of their songs. I hated Punchline's shenanigans as much as I hated their music. I can enjoy a band that plays a lot of good music but doesn't do (or in LBC's case, have enough time) to do much otherwise, and I can also enjoy a band that may not be as good but is also funny, which is where Bowling for Soup fell, except I *did* enjoy songs like "Almost", "Trucker Hat", and "Get Happy". LBC put on a great show, but so did BfS. I'd go see either one again, definitely.

coke_a_holic
07-28-2006, 09:55 PM
A band has to connect with the audience at some point during the show; a few shows I've been to just had set times that required bands to simply not even speak to the audience (or tell them the name of the group) JUST to fit enough songs in. Thirty minutes is a lame-ass time limit for any great band.

On the other hand, some bands (nofx) waste their time/my money telling jokes. Good thing I don't like NoFX very much, or I'd be angry they had wasted my time pretending to forget lyrics/basslines and telling lame jokes.

I'd like to be spoken to, but only enough to get a good connection with some of the band members.