PDA

View Full Version : body worlds

Llamas
07-29-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.bodyworlds.com/index.html

Has anyone seen this exhibit? I don't know if it's national right now, but I think it's a touring exhibit... there's one in st paul, MN right now, and I just spent 4 hours there. A FUCKING MAZING. Tons and tons of cadavars in different poses and dissections... so amazing to see every little detail of the human body.

I got to see what a fetus looks like inside of a pregnant woman (apparently this woman got sick while she was pregnant, and knew she'd probably die before the baby was born, so she offered up her body to science... I respect that so much). And I saw what fetuses look like at every stage of birth. After seeing that a baby has arms legs, fingers, toes, brains, eyes, etc before 2 months into pregnancy... seeing that made me feel so bad about pro-choice ideas in the world. I think some of the coolest parts were the entire bodily circulatory system, plasticized. Just the entire system, with no other parts... amazing.

It was also incredible to actually see what smoking does to your organs... and what tumors do... and what aneurisms do... and what hemmorhages do... I was blown away.

Some of the cadavars were so ripped. Some of those men and women were in impecible shape. Also, seeing the differences in the internal organs of obesity... it's insane! Very cool that there were some cadavars where you can kind of tell the nationality of the person even with nothing but their circulatory system. There was an asian family (I think korean, but I wasn't sure) (depressing that it was a whole family) and I could tell they were asian just by their facial layout of arteries and veins...

I studied biology for years, but never got to see anything inside a real human... seeing this just made me realize how absolutely phenominal the human body is. From the perfection of the ball/socket mechanism of our shoulders and hips, to the absolute maniacy of our muscle and tendon structures.

Has anyone else seen body worlds or anything like it?

Preocupado
07-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Awesome, but, by the pictures, they look a bit... plastic (wax made). It's definetly something you gotta see in person to fully enjoy.

opivy21
07-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I saw it in Houston a week ago. The exhibit wasn't huge, but it had at least 10 bodies. There was a guy holding his own skin, and another guy on a skinless horse. The coolest thing was seeing the systems without anything else. The nervous system just looks like a plant. That part was pretty interesting.

I don't care how immature it is - I got an uncomfortable laugh out of seeing people's "southern parts" without any skin.

Seriously, I enjoyed it.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 04:09 PM
oh yeah it looks like the one in houston was smaller... "body worlds 3". the one here was the big one, I guess. There were a good 30 some bodies atleast. I did kinda giggle a bit at the dead male bodies with the testes just hangin' there... hehe.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Awesome, but, by the pictures, they look a bit... plastic (wax made). It's definetly something you gotta see in person to fully enjoy.

yeah. it's crazy cause a lot of it actually looks wax made in real life. But it's all real... a lot of it is plasticized (when they have to make an entire system stand on its own without the skeleton... but it's still real, just injected with plastic). There were a couple times when I was like "this just looks fake. it can't be real". I think that's part of what makes it so cool... seeing that stuff up close, it's so hard to believe it's real.

Nina
07-29-2006, 04:13 PM
I refused to watch it when my class went to see it two or three years ago.
I heard the people whose bodies he uses were not okay with it. And a lot of other nasty shit.
I have nothing against the human body and I am not even grossed out by it (I usually would be) but I believe this person is insane. He seems like it.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Body Donation for Plastination

All anatomical specimens on display in the BODY WORLDS exhibitions are authentic. They belonged to people who declared during their lifetime that their bodies should be made available after their deaths for the qualification of physicians and the instruction of laypersons. Many donors underscore that by donating their body, they want to be useful to others even after their death. Their selfless donations allow us to gain unique insights into human bodies, which have thus far been reserved for physicians at best. Therefore, we wish to thank the 6000 living and 300 deceased body donors.

here's von hagens biography from the site http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/gunther_von_hagens.html

what about him makes him seem insane?

Nina
07-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I couldnt be bothered for long, I found this on German Wikipedia:

"Im Januar 2004 erhob das Magazin „Der Spiegel“ Vorwürfe gegen Gunther von Hagens, für seine Ausstellungsstücke Leichen chinesischer Hinrichtungsopfer zu verwenden.

Nach der Beendigung der Ausstellung in Frankfurt im Frühjahr 2004 erklärte Gunther von Hagens, keine weiteren Ausstellungen mehr in Deutschland veranstalten zu wollen."

Which means that some people say the Chinese corpses he used were from people who got executed in China. Obviously not donated by the...er, owners.
He doesnt want to "perform" in Germany anymore. ha.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 07:25 PM
well, there were only like 3 asian bodies, from what I could tell. And just because some people say that's true, doesn't mean it is.

I have a feeling he's not "performing" in germany anymore because he's money hungry and knows the money is in North America. I did read several times that all the bodies were donated willingly... I dunno. I guess I'm not one to judge based on rumours that I don't know the origin of.

Plus I didn't pay for the exhibit, so he didn't get any of my money even if he is a dick :-P

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Is this the same person who did the Bodies exhibit in NYC? I just saw it on Monday...fucking fascinating.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't think so... body worlds is only currently showing in boston, houston, and St paul. There are a couple "knock offs" going around... body works maybe? what was the one you saw like?

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2006, 08:28 PM
This one is just called Bodies, and it's TONS, like HUNDREDS, of bodies and body parts, preserved in plasticky stuff. They even had a ton of portions of veins and arteries and such without the body tissue around, floating around in water. The exhibit took a good hour to get through.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 08:37 PM
hmm... yeah sounds different. This one took us nearly 3 hours to get through, and we went pretty quick. This was mostly full bodies. There were probably atleast 30 some full bodies (each in different poses to exemplify different features, and with different parts showing, different systems, etc), and for every body there was a long glass case full of organs from different systems. Skeletal, circulatory, nervous, reproductive, urinary, etc... plus an entire room devoted entirely to fetal life. A pregnant woman and tons of fetuses at different ages, some with various birth defects. Plus a ton of the organs they had had several in a case, some with various defects... diseases and such. The only things that were plasticized were bodies that didn't have skeletal structures (where they inject everything with a fluid that hardens into a plastic for support and preservation).

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2006, 08:41 PM
wait, so most of the bodies weren't preserved with the plastic stuff?

Llamas
07-29-2006, 08:44 PM
the injected stuff? sorry, I worded that weird. I'm not sure how the bodies with skeletal structures were preserved. They looked completely raw, but there must have been something preserving them. The only bodies that I knew were obviously preserved had the stuff inside them, not coating them.

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Right, the bodies aren't coated with the stuff, but it makes them all plasticky. At the end there were some that they let you touch and it was really creepy. THere was a BRAIN. I held it!

Llamas
07-29-2006, 09:30 PM
oh this exhibit doesn't let you touch *anything*. I'm not really sure what that means.

the_GoDdEsS
07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
I can imagine it would be interesting to see. I think we're still having da Vinci right now.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
What's that? (I can assume, but just wanna be sure, seeing that I've not heard of it.)

Tizzalicious
07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
It sounds pretty interesting, but I don't think it'd be my thing. I'm scared shitless of dead bodies.

the_GoDdEsS
07-29-2006, 11:05 PM
What's that? (I can assume, but just wanna be sure, seeing that I've not heard of it.)

Leonardo da Vinci's life, work and inventions. It's currently touring Europe, you could say. But I have not seen it.

Llamas
07-29-2006, 11:29 PM
It sounds pretty interesting, but I don't think it'd be my thing. I'm scared shitless of dead bodies.

yeah... the only thing that really relentlessly makes me super queasy is needles... but I still found myself a little sick to my stomach after so many dead bodies.

and the da vinci thing would be cool, but I was never into his stuff enough to pay for that. are you planning on seeing it?

the_GoDdEsS
07-29-2006, 11:48 PM
I kind of forgot about it till now. My brother seemed a little interested so I might buy us tickets since I'm the older sister with the money, lolz. But I don't know when or if at all.

Italia311
07-29-2006, 11:58 PM
there is this place In TORONTO like this. Its weird...I could give a better explination if I wasnted done..like...dinnner. Alora...ya..in Toronto. Great City..best city in this country.