PDA

View Full Version : I want to give PC a hug.

Vera
07-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Been watching the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads on Youtube. Aww, I love John Hodgman, he's too cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hst5XguULdA&mode=related&search= - Pie-charts can be fun!

0r4ng3
07-30-2006, 07:59 AM
I find those ads annoying, but this (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513) I think is really funny.

notoriousdoc
07-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Lots of of roffles at that, I'm PC 4 lyf.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Both of those complimented each other. The ad was funny, the comic was funny and made the ad even funnier. ftw!

Vera
07-30-2006, 08:07 AM
The pie-chart ad was the only one that made me laugh out loud. Love the TrueNuff parodies, though: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TrueNuff

The Linux guy is priceless.

Jakebert
07-30-2006, 10:49 AM
That was pretty funny when he was on the Daily Show talking about the net neutrality act and John coaxed him into saying "I'm a PC". They need to have him on more than they do. It's not nearly enough.

Anyone here read his book? Funny stuff.

Sunny
07-30-2006, 11:01 AM
the daily show thing was awesome. ehe.

and i love the ads. <3<3<3.

some of the parodies are really lame and basically say "zomg, im a dy-hard pc userrr and i got pwnzored by an apple commershul!!! i am sew offendended!!".

Endymion
07-30-2006, 11:03 AM
i really hate to say this but every time i saw one of those commercials on tv i'd think "inaccurate, the guy should be saying 'i'm windows' because that's what he's really talking about".

JohnnyNemesis
07-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Nah, the parodies are awesome because they make fun of users of both. Besides, the areas where PCs own Macs in those parodies are totally true, the same way the areas where Macs embarrass PCs in the original commercials are totally true.

0r4ng3
07-30-2006, 11:04 AM
i really hate to say this but every time i saw one of those commercials on tv i'd think "inaccurate, the guy should be saying 'i'm windows' because that's what he's really talking about".
I wonder what the Linux guy would look like.

Endymion
07-30-2006, 11:14 AM
and the security one is right. bsd isn't all that like linux. there are tons of differences... and os/2 isn't all that like windows (95) either.

Vera
07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Details schmetails.

Yeah, loved the Daily Show segment.

Llamas
07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I hate macs. the pie chart commercial was funny, but most of them were lame. I like this, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7Xh0m_Oco&NR

Jebus
07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
"I am root!"

I fucking loved that. That has to be my new title...but I'm not using Red hat anymore and ubuntu doesn't really have a root..I am Sudo?

Sin Studly
07-30-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't get it. I have music and movies on my PC.

killer_queen
07-30-2006, 12:36 PM
I find those ads annoying, but this (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513) I think is really funny.
This is funny, indeed. But also incredibly cute.

Llamas
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
the new iFlea :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8fFP2Zyzm8

wheelchairman
07-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Here's the thing. Mac Users are the world's most insecure folks in the world (like ipod users, firefox users, and those people from WWF on the street, that is the World Wildlife Foundation, not the World Wrestling Federation).

It's like they have to prove that their purchase was justified by talking about their super-superior product all the time. ugh. Annoying.

Sin Studly
07-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I could probably agree with that, Per.

and i love the ads. <3<3<3. some of the parodies are really lame and basically say "zomg, im a dy-hard pc userrr and i got pwnzored by an apple commershul!!! i am sew offendended!!".

Especially after reading that ^

Anyway, I remember some guy from primary school (the one before high school) would always talk about how great Macs were, and print out ads for Macintosh with lame little slogans like "If your computer is too slow with Win-Doze, get a Mac!" and put them up all over the classroom.

He had less friends than the kid who took erasers to school in her lunchbox and ate them.

Seriously, wtf is the deal with Macs? I used one and don't see anything decent about them, even once I got past the uncomfortable interface and annoying 'widgets'. Why are the users almost worse than linux geeks with thier "omg u use mirc on winBLows lol ur a lamer!"

wheelchairman
07-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I always loved the kids who used window$$. It was probably left wing geeks. But either way, it implies that Mac isn't a profit seeking company...

Sin Studly
07-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Anyone who types "win-doze", "winblows" or "window$$" deserves to be shot out of a cannon into the centre of the sun.

And I'm not saying this because I like windows. I don't like or dislike windows. Having an OS preference that extends beyond "I like this because I already know how to use it" is ; in my opinion ; infinitely lame.

Llamas
07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I'd say they are... based on how hard it is to use an ipod with a pc...

wheelchairman
07-30-2006, 03:53 PM
You just walked into my second rant. I hate ipod users. They all say how hard they are to use with, how often they break, and how expensive they are. zzzzzomg.

Sin Studly
07-30-2006, 03:55 PM
The fuck is the difference between an ipod and a regular mp3 player anyway? People talk about "ipods" like they're some kinda different thing altogether. (they aren't are they?)

the_GoDdEsS
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I've never seen an iPod and did not know what the fuck it was till just a few months ago when all the 10 year old rich kids kept telling me what they want for Christmas. So yeah, what's the difference?

wheelchairman
07-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Ipods look different. And are the "original." And they use a different program (but they all do to preserve brand loyalty.)

I guess the price would be the difference.

Llamas
07-30-2006, 04:21 PM
to my knowledge, the ipod was the first mp3 player to have a hard drive in it... now there are others that do (creative zen, phillips, toshiba, iriver, etc). iPod is the only one that is made to be most compatible with macs... and it's supposedly the easiest to use. However, it's not a completely seperate thing from all the rest... I don't see why it's the most popular mp3 player. I love my creative zen vision M, and have never had any problems with it... whereas my friend who just got an ipod around the same time I got my zen has had to take it to the apple store twice to get the whole thing reset because it fucks up absolutely no reason. I hate ipods. And I agree that people who use them (well, those who love them and live and die for them) are fucking annoying. Fortunately for me, the creative zen has everything the ipod has plus more, so now whenever someone goes on about their stupid ipod, I can refute it all. except the zen is a little thicker than ipod.

Tizzalicious
07-30-2006, 11:30 PM
I always hear people whine about how their Ipods break.

It's fine if you have an Ipod, and are happy with it, but people just stare blind on Ipods when they never had any kind of MP3 player before, like there's nothing else out there. That's just stupid.

Jakebert
07-30-2006, 11:57 PM
My parents got me an iPod for my birthday because some person at Best Buy conned them into buying it when they could have gotten a generic MP3 player for cheaper.

I like it and I'm glad I have it, but those people that obsess over the fact that they have an iPod and show them off all the time piss me off to no end.

Ninty Man
07-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I have an Ipod... but fuck, I have to change it cause it's system failed

Vera
07-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Eh, I have an iPod mini and I dig it. After the difficulties I had with it at first (mostly thanks to my comp being older than the wheel), it is pretty easy to use.

I think in today's world, it's kind of lame to consider your a consumer of any product and define yourself through it. What's the point? But sadly it's what you see people doing, especially youngsters. Hence the zomg must get an iPod!111 I personally wanted one because they look neat, are small and hold loads of music you can carry with you for easy access.

In a way you could say the I'm commercials parody the consumerist self-definition without meaning to. I use PC, therefore I am PC etc.

The real reason I posted this wasn't to have geeky cock-fights or bash on anybody, I just LOVE John Hodgman. <3

Sunny
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
"geeky cock-fights" made me snort.

but yes, this thread doesn't contain anywhere near as much john hodgman love as it should.