PDA

View Full Version : Home cooking

the_offsprings_monkey
07-30-2006, 07:38 PM
How good would you say you are at cooking and what sort of foods do you cook at home?

Also, does anyone have experience with cooking, like in a restaurant an other such places.

0r4ng3
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I once burned cereal. Fact.

Little_Miss_1565
07-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I make a meeeaaan breakfast, yo. Homefries, eggs, and toast.

The secret to my amazing rice and beans is using veggie stock to boil the rice, and then lots of tamari to season.

I put tamari in my homefries, too, actually. It's kind of a magical condiment.

I recently switched from normal pans to using cast-iron skillets. I'm never going back. <3333 my skillets.

sk8ter-hater
07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
I've wanted to be a chef at one point in my life, but I never really prepared. I wouldn't mind being a chef, though. As for my skills, I think they're pretty good. I make some mad mashed potatoes with bacon and gravy. Once, I tried to make some strawberry cake, but the inside was all gooey. worst. cake. ever.

Sin Studly
07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I cook a mean kangaroo-steak.

Tizzalicious
07-30-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm good at it. I can basicly make anything as long as I know how. I just need to know how to do something, (like have a recipe or have my mom tell me) and I can make it. I try my own things sometimes too, which usually end up nice.

I can't cook when someone is watching me though, I get nervous and burn things.

Betty
07-30-2006, 11:58 PM
www.allrecipes.com is my resource.

I like to cook and like to think I'm good at it. I just decide what I want to make, look at a few recipes and choose the elements I want to include/not include in my dish, and then test it out. I know what I like and usually I can tell whether it will be a good or a bad taste combination beforehand. For example, somebody put up a recipe for lobster with chocolate sauce on the web and a bunch of people actually TRIED it... I shake my head.

Anyway, some of my best recipes that I've found and modified include: veggie risotto, mustard/dill/garlic glazed salmon, avocado/tomato/feta salsa, greek pita pizzas, chocolate caramel pecan cheesecake, caesar chicken breast...

And then I have recipes stolen from family and friends like my mom's pizza dough, my dad's chicken noodle soup, my best friend's chocolate chip cookies, mac 'n cheese, shrimp fettucine alfredo (aka heart attack on a plate), baked back ribs...

Preocupado
07-31-2006, 12:41 AM
Several types of pasta, rice and beans, pizza, cooked vegetables and all that basic stuff.

To grab someone by the stomach, i've got two specials: shrimp pancakes with white cream and a rib cooked in the beer (yes).

Jebus
07-31-2006, 01:03 AM
The only things I could cook are eggs or any other thing that comes in boxes with instructions(ex: macaroni and cheese). Since my mom cooks all the main dishes, I've never really had a chance to experiment with stuff like meat. I only cook quick and easy stuff when my mom isn't home or I'm feeling a bit peckish. Cooking seems like something I could do easily if I have a recipe in handy but my experimenting will have to wait untill I'm on my own.

HornyPope
07-31-2006, 01:37 AM
I cook all sorts of meat, plus rice or pasta as a sidedish.
But I need a woman to make those extra awesome dinners. Mushrooms + frozen vegetables and steak. Mmmm!

Izie
07-31-2006, 01:51 AM
I'm good at it. I can basicly make anything as long as I know how. I just need to know how to do something, (like have a recipe or have my mom tell me) and I can make it. I try my own things sometimes too, which usually end up nice.

Yup, what she said. Except I try my own thing more often, usually out of laziness. Like, I'm making rice and I have no onions. This means I'd have to go out and buy them. But why go buy onions, when you can stick in peanuts and soysauce and see what that's like! You like all 3, it can't go bad! And it never goes bad :p

I'd eat mushrooms + maize + cauliflower all day, except it mixes too many different things I can't eat :( Le sad! But recently I've discovered cabagge + zuccini + sesame + soysauce as my veggie-food for my veggie-day. I can eat that all day man, it's yumz! Or paprikas with cheese? Oh yum. And cakes? Oh yum cakes. I feel like cooking now, thanks. Good thing I'm actually supposed to make lunch!

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 02:07 AM
How good would you say you are at cooking and what sort of foods do you cook at home?

Also, does anyone have experience with cooking, like in a restaurant an other such places.

I'd say I'm probably pretty decent at cooking. I don't usually make anything particularly fancy, but most things I make turn out to be fairly tasty and filling. Tonight I made mashed potatoes, and heated up some salisbury steak and vegetables. Simple and easy, but a satisfying meal.

I'd like to learn to cook a wider variety of things, and use higher quality ingredients. Unfortunately I'm on a very modest budget, so it won't be happening anytime soon.

I used to work in a kitchen. I was the storeroom manager and also in charge of keeping the kitchen clean. I didn't cook, other than helping out the chefs a couple of times. If you're considering that line of work I'll tell you what they told me. Don't be a chef. The work is hard, the hours are long, and the pay is shit. That's what they told me. Of course, it looked to me like their work was easier than mine and paid better, but whatever.

The only things I could cook are eggs or any other thing that comes in boxes with instructions(ex: macaroni and cheese). Since my mom cooks all the main dishes, I've never really had a chance to experiment with stuff like meat. I only cook quick and easy stuff when my mom isn't home or I'm feeling a bit peckish. Cooking seems like something I could do easily if I have a recipe in handy but my experimenting will have to wait untill I'm on my own.

I was exactly the same way. Then when I moved out from home I began experimenting with my own cooking and calling my mum to see how she made all her best stuff. I still think my mum cooks most of it better than I do, but that may just be sentimentality.

I can't cook when someone is watching me though, I get nervous and burn things.

I can relate to that. I don't usually burn anything, but I can't enjoy cooking if I'm being watched.

SkunkIt
07-31-2006, 02:13 AM
I'd say i'm an ok cook, I've gotten better over the years. I also came up with some of my own recipes and discovered some new good foods, after making tons of bad tasting combinations.

Fact: I don't like cooking meat, so I don't. I also make some things from scratch.

Some things I can make:

Breakfast- bacon, sausages, almost every kind of egg, hash browns, cheese omlette, pepper omlette, egg white omlette, vegetable omlette, meat lover's omlette, potatoes O' Brien, pancakes, biscuits.

Dessert: Cakes, cookies, jello, flan, cada, fluffer nutter, chocolate, sundaes, brownies, smores.

Lunch/Dinner - Egg Drop Soup, hamburgers, brautwurst, hotdogs, beans, stir fry, hommous, lemon shrimp kebabs, lemon pepper shrimp kebabs, pasta, macaroni, most salads, Greek salad, nachos, bread/cheese thingies, some fish, fries, citrus fries, cheese steak, pizza (lolz, box), subs, sandwiches, steak, soup, tuna salad, brocolli & cheese.

Classes taken: High School- some cooking class and Creative Cookery

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Fact: I don't like cooking meat, so I don't...Some things I can make:

bacon...sausages... meat lover's omlette...hamburgers..brautwurst...hotdogs...chees e steak...steak

So, are you saying you CAN cook these things, but you don't?

SkunkIt
07-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Yup.
ten characters.

Betty
07-31-2006, 02:30 AM
I too am mystified.

Although I can relate that cooking raw chicken/beef/pork etc, particularly when you have to prepare the raw meat (deskin/debone/defat) is much more intimidating than throwing some frozen burger or bacon or sausage in a pan.

Edit:... and my theory was wrong...

SkunkIt
07-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Actually, the main reason is, I don't like the blood, but yes, in general handling meat sucks. I'll only make it if I absolutely have to for other people. I don't even like using eggs.

Edit: If I absolutely HAVE to cook meat, It better be organic.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 02:39 AM
So, are you saying you CAN cook these things, but you don't?

I don't either, unless they have been pre-cut. I always buy chicken in little chunks (I don't like eating them when they aren't cut up, or on bones anyway), because I am terrified of touching raw meat. You won't see me making meatballs either. Yuck.

Then again, I'm a complete meat-hypocrit, I don't eat anything that looks like meat too much, it reminds me of the fact that it's an animal.

Izie
07-31-2006, 02:49 AM
I don't either, unless they have been pre-cut. I always buy chicken in little chunks (I don't like eating them when they aren't cut up, or on bones anyway), because I am terrified of touching raw meat. You won't see me making meatballs either. Yuck.

Then again, I'm a complete meat-hypocrit, I don't eat anything that looks like meat too much, it reminds me of the fact that it's an animal.

I make awesome meatballs XD

Want some? :p

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 02:50 AM
Yes please, come here with your balls.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Then again, I'm a girl, I don't eat anything that looks like meat too much, it reminds me of the fact that it's an animal.

I fixed your sentence for you.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 03:01 AM
I just munched down on half a jar of whole baby octopi. Food never tastes so good as when it's still in the original form of the animal. Anyways,

I can relate to that. I don't usually burn anything, but I can't enjoy cooking if I'm being watched.

Learn to get over it. When you invite a girl over for a homecooked dinner you'll want to time it so you're just finishing up as she arrives, so you can awe her with your cheffery.

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 03:03 AM
I cook all sorts of meat, plus rice or pasta as a sidedish.

There we go. That is pretty much the extent of my cooking ability. I can also make French toast.

Izie
07-31-2006, 03:05 AM
I fixed your sentence for you.

Lies, I'm a girl too and I eat meat like crazy. And I have no problems with it coming from an animal.

What lameo girls do you know? Psh!

the_GoDdEsS
07-31-2006, 03:10 AM
I agree with Izie. I love meat too. Grr.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 03:13 AM
Lies, I'm a girl too and I eat meat like crazy. And I have no problems with it coming from an animal.

What lameo girls do you know? Psh!

Girls like me? :(

Izie
07-31-2006, 03:22 AM
Girls like me? :(

Aryans!

But I love you anyway :p

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 03:24 AM
I agree with Izie. I love meat too. Grr.

Well, obviously I was talking about normal girls, not slavs.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Aryans!

But I love you anyway :p

Good! <3333 you too!

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 03:52 AM
And I have no problems with it coming from an animal.

Not even the cannibalism thing, you mudskin nigger animal?

Izie
07-31-2006, 04:31 AM
Not even the cannibalism thing, you mudskin nigger animal?

I merely bite humans, dear.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 05:04 AM
Slavs eating humans wouldn't be cannablism, dumbfuck.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 05:06 AM
Oh, and....

I make a meeeaaan breakfast, yo.

No you don't. Only the British ; and those who follow in their breakfasting traditions are capable of making a mean breakfast. The Deep South of the US is an exception, although the Brits still win.

My undying hatred of the British should give you an idea of how fucking awesome a full English breakfast is for me to actually be giving them credit for anything.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Only the British ; and those who follow in their breakfasting traditions are capable of making a mean breakfast.

Justin continues his trend of never being wrong about the British.

Izie
07-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Slavs eating humans wouldn't be cannablism, dumbfuck.

Fine, I merely bite SLAVS.

But I wouldn't wanna eat westerners anyway, their meat might make me pussified or something :(

On topic, the british breakfast is way awesome.

nieh
07-31-2006, 07:17 AM
I normally survive on things that require 2-3 steps (one of which may be "remove from wrapper")and 15 minutes or less to make. Every now and then I'll try doing something that requires a litle more effort and it normally turns out fine except for when I try doing steak. What's a good way to cook steak with a conventional oven?

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 07:58 AM
What's a good way to cook steak with a conventional oven?

Slowly, on a low heat, I would guess.

I rarely cook steak at home because when I can actually afford it I'd rather spend a little more and let a real chef cook it for me. That way I don't run the risk of ruining an expensive treat.

The few times I've cooked steaks I used a frying pan, and chucked in mushrooms and onions with them. They were good.

Nina
07-31-2006, 08:03 AM
I can cook pretty well, but I hardly ever do. Everything I do on my own tastes better than when I have instructions, which bothers me more than it makes me proud.
What bugs me is that I can't cook Persian yet. But my mommy didnt learn it until she married in her mid-twenties, either. So I still have some hope left.
Also, I'm not a picky eater. And I love meat.

Little_Miss_1565
07-31-2006, 08:11 AM

...then why do you eat meat in the first place?

nieh
07-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Slowly, on a low heat, I would guess.

I rarely cook steak at home because when I can actually afford it I'd rather spend a little more and let a real chef cook it for me. That way I don't run the risk of ruining an expensive treat.

The few times I've cooked steaks I used a frying pan, and chucked in mushrooms and onions with them. They were good.

I've tried slow-cooking it in the oven and cooking it in a frying pan on top. The frying pan came out the better of the two but I think I could do better. Neither were outright BAD but they were dull and almost flavorless. Maybe I didn't get good beef? I ended up getting some steak seasoning stuff I put on it which didn't help nearly as much as I expected it to.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Neither were outright BAD but they were dull and almost flavorless.

The best general advice would be to never cook it more than medium. So much flavour in the blood. Yum.

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 08:55 AM
I can cook pretty well, but I hardly ever do. Everything I do on my own tastes better than when I have instructions, which bothers me more than it makes me proud.
What bugs me is that I can't cook Persian yet. But my mommy didnt learn it until she married in her mid-twenties, either. So I still have some hope left.
Also, I'm not a picky eater. And I love meat.
I went to a Persian restaurant about a year ago. It was really good. Lot's of meat. (meat is what makes food good.)

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 08:57 AM
...then why do you eat meat in the first place?

Because I like the taste?

That's why I said I'm a hypocrit, I don't wanna think about what I eat, but I do like how it tastes.

nieh
07-31-2006, 09:15 AM
The best general advice would be to never cook it more than medium. So much flavour in the blood. Yum.

In a frying pan are you supposed to cook the outside of the steak really hot at first to lock the juices in or is that other types of food I'm thinking of? And I think you may be right that I've been over-cooking it without realizing it.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 09:30 AM
In a frying pan are you supposed to cook the outside of the steak really hot at first to lock the juices in or is that other types of food I'm thinking of?

Good question. I'm far from an expert though, so hopefully someone else can adequately answer that. I'm interested myself now.

killer_queen
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
If there's one thing that I love more than cooking it must be watching people while they're eating what I cook. I wish I had a boyfriend who loves eating (and who is not fat, of course).

And meat is the greatest thing to eat when it's over cooked. Otherwise I can't even look at it.

Nina
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
(and who is not fat, of course).

I love you a lot right now.

Sunny
07-31-2006, 10:44 AM
i can make some random stuff. like breakfast tacos (egg tacos: egg, potatoes, cheese, jalapenos maybe). and migas, which are super awesome. (being married to someone from texas has its perks).

meat=no. but i like cooking seafood because i'm gross like that. tuna steak with ginger/wasabi sauce stuff, mussels in white wine, grilled shrimp, lemon and herb salmon. and it's all so good. weeeo.

i also make random odds and ends like salads, wraps, and the best tiramisu EVER.

Little_Miss_1565
07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
That's why I said I'm a hypocrit, I don't wanna think about what I eat, but I do like how it tastes.

There are lots of veggie burgers and Gardenburger riblet things and all kinds of other stuff that tastes like meat without being actual animals.

Sunny
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.lightlife.com/products.html

i <3 smart deli ham.

Nina
07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
There are lots of veggie burgers and Gardenburger riblet things and all kinds of other stuff that tastes like meat without being actual animals.

Why should she stop eating meat? She likes the taste, she said. She just doesnt like thinking that what she eats used to be a cow with eyes, and a tail, and a butt. No big deal?

Sunny
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
i'm guessing what sarah meant is that if tizz is uncomfortable with the idea of her food having had eyes and a tail, she can get rid of that discomfort by eating stuff that tastes very similar, but doesn't actually come from a living creature.

Nina
07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I really hope she means that. But to me it sounded like another "why not eat meat"-discussion. And it's a cooking topic ffs :[

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 11:08 AM
It's bad enough Tizz drinks soy milk. If she starts cooking veggie burgers, she's doing it outside my apartment. yuck.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm fine with eating meat as long as I don't think about the fact that it's meat. I like veggie burgers too though.

And soymilk ftw!

(Per, don't worry, if I turn out to have gluten allergy, I can't have any of the veggie stuff, it all has gluten. Yay for you!)

Sunny
nina - we'll see once she replies. =p

moral concerns aside, i think meat substitutes are worth bringing up/looking into just for health reasons. kinda like soymilk, even though i'm not vegan. =p

Nina
But I SWEAR, soy milk only tastes disgusting at first. I hated it and gaged when I tried it the first three times. Now that's the only "milk" (yeah whatever) I drink.

Sunny
07-31-2006, 11:11 AM
hahah. yes, yes it does at first.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I think normal milk is disgusting, so soy milk is better no matter what, but I don't drink it plain, only in coffee and stuff. Because my stomach sucks and it's easier to digest.

Little_Miss_1565
07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
I really hope she means that. But to me it sounded like another "why not eat meat"-discussion. And it's a cooking topic ffs :[

Um, no, Sunny got exactly what I meant. One of my bandmates is writing a book about eating meat and I tag along with his "research" all the time. I don't care if anyone eats meat or not, but I was merely pointing out that if Tizz is grossed out by meat coming from animals, she can easily bypass it altogether and not miss out on the taste.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I quite like veggie-burgers. But they don't taste like meat. At all. They taste like veggie-burgers.

Izie
07-31-2006, 02:57 PM
moral concerns aside, i think meat substitutes are worth bringing up/looking into just for health reasons. kinda like soymilk, even though i'm not vegan. =p

I like soymilk. My body isn't a huge fan of the regular milk, so it's good for me sometimes.

And I like soy in general, but I don't think I'll cut out meat completely. And aren't there like veggie-burgers that are supposed to taste like veggie-burgers, and then the ones that are supposed to substitute meat? Because I've had the former, and they're obviously not meat-like... I wouldn't know about the latter, never tried those.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 02:59 PM
I had the ones that are supposed to taste like meat, and Justin is right, they don't. Using the quorn thingies in pasta sauce and stuff will end up tasing meatlike, because it's more the structure that you taste then, but the other stuff...not meat-tasting. But still nice!

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
None of them taste like meat. They're quite good, in their own special way, but nobody's gonna be sitting at the dinner table with a big cheesy grin shoulding "Wow, I can't believe it's not ribeye steak!".

Yatesy
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm an alright cook, I can't do anything fancy really just food that I can eat and survive. However I've been told I make great Pancakes! =D

nieh
07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
I feel the need to point out that I just finished making my first actually pretty good steak ever.

Betty
07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
I still don't get men and steak. I guess it's just personal preference. But I LOVE meat. I love chicken. I LOVE a good pork roast or roast beef. Or bacon. Or a gigantic burger. Ham is meh. Turkey is meh. But steak? It's alright, but I'd rather eat roast beef or stewed beef or ground beef much more than a huge piece of steak. And if I do eat steak, I enjoy it much better well done... or at least medium-well done. One time I had it probably relatively rare and it was gross. Steak is overrated.

nieh
07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Steak isn't something I'd ever really want to eat often, it's just that on the rare occasion I get a craving for it, it's awesome.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=Betty]But steak? It's alright, but I'd rather eat roast beef or stewed beef or ground beef much more than a huge piece of steak. And if I do eat steak, I enjoy it much better well done[QUOTE]

I used to feel exactly the same way. Then I discovered I just hadn't ever had really good steak. But my favourite meat, when cooked correctly, is lamb. Oh god, I haven't had that in years now.