PDA

View Full Version : people who type "lol"

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
For those of you who use "lol" almost as if it were punctuation, do you actually sit at your computer in a state of almost constant maniacal laughter while typing the most mundane things? Do you actually "laugh out loud" everytime you want it to be excessively clear that you are not being serious? Because in my head you're all sitting there sadly, fighting back tears of frustration because you just don't know how to communicate effectively. In my head you all loathe yourselves. But perhaps I'm just an optimist.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
yes lol

0r4ng3
07-31-2006, 01:08 PM
You beat me to it rofl

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
that's so funny lol

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
I hate you all.

lol

the_GoDdEsS
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Didn't you expect such lolling replies?

0r4ng3
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
To be fair, I haven't "lol'd" yet.

lmao.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Didn't you expect such lolling replies?

Well, of course. But I'm also hopeful that someone who genuinely uses it in the most horrifying manner might give me some insight into why they do it. Because I swear to God, I honestly don't understand why anyone does it. And I am of course talking about the people that do it excessively. Once every ten words or so, on average. I've been exposed to a lot of them lately, and I just don't get it.

the_GoDdEsS
07-31-2006, 01:19 PM
It's an internet abbreviation and kinda popular among the kids, especially those who are relatively new to the internet. Plus, as you know teens love to condense and change language (SMS lingo) and like to keep it short and "cool". Is a simple sociolinguistic thing. It's also funny to watch the abbreviation become some kinda word per se, like: I did it for the lol. I lol'ed. etc.

0r4ng3
07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the "lol punctuation" thing is a symptom of BKS, or Broken Keyboard Syndrome, which I recently discovered. The syndrome mostly consists of spastic, nonstop typos.

By the way, the only cure for BKS is "Death".

Edit: Oh, and also... http://iamthelol.ytmnd.com/

Strider
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
I believe most of the Lol's aren't actually Lol's... they would be some ironic haha's or the punctuational (does that word even exist? LOL) humph's in oral speech... but I guess people find it more practical to type LOL... the two letters are close on the keyboard... After me! L, go up! O, go down! L, start again!

LOL.

Yatesy
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
A lot of people usually just use it when they just don't know how to finish a sentence. It also sort of becomes a bit of a habit, you know you go on the internet too much when you say OMG out loud without meaning too. :o

Sunny
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
For those of you who use "lol" almost as if it were punctuation, do you actually sit at your computer in a state of almost constant maniacal laughter while typing the most mundane things?

now that's a beautiful mental image.

personally, i use "lol" as a substitute for "heh", as i find them to be interchangeable on the internet. i'm sure other people do it too.

as for using "lol" instead of a regular word (ie: "lol-worthy, lol-inducing"), i find it quite humorous. i use it not because i lack the vocabulary to come up with a real word, but because it's funny. kind of like saying "zomg wtf bbq", which also makes very little sense.

regarding the lol-abusers this thread is originally about.. i've noticed that they like to add other meaningless embellishments to their syntax. perhaps because they feel the sentence is incomplete? like.. "i had to take the SATs today, it really sucked lol :confused: ;) :rolleyes: :eek: "

edit: wow, i love how my smileys are all.. color coordinated!

Punk-Freak
07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I have never laughed while sitting by my PC, no shit.

My friends says that I never laugh (not true, I do laugh), but just because I don't laugh, it doesn't mean that I don't find anything funny.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 01:36 PM
It's an internet abbreviation and kinda popular among the kids, especially those who are relatively new to the internet. Plus, as you know teens love to condense and change language (SMS lingo) and like to keep it short and "cool". Is a simple sociolinguistic thing. It's also funny to watch the abbreviation become some kinda word per se, like: I did it for the lol. I lol'ed. etc.

But...it's not keeping it short. It's often used completely unnecessarily, and is in fact just making something longer. I understand what you're saying, but so often I see it have completely the opposite of what must be the intended effect.

A lot of people usually just use it when they just don't know how to finish a sentence.

I've noticed that. But why? There's something drastically wrong with the world if so many people don't know how to finish a sentence.

personally, i use "lol" as a substitute for "heh", as i find them to be interchangeable on the internet. i'm sure other people do it too.

as for using "lol" instead of a regular word (ie: "lol-worthy, lol-inducing"), i find it quite humorous. i use it not because i lack the vocabulary to come up with a real word, but because it's funny. kind of like saying "zomg wtf bbq", which also makes very little sense.

That's all totally understandable, and even endearing when used well. I have no problem with that at all.

Sunny
07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
I've noticed that. But why? There's something drastically wrong with the world if so many people don't know how to finish a sentence.

you know what i realized? a lot of the time "lol" isn't even used after a funny statement. sooo maybe "lol" in that context is the internet equivalent of a nervous nerdy giggle/snort. like "i'm not sure if what i said was funny or if it will be well received, uhh.. lol".

0r4ng3
07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Basically, the "lol" is a badge of insecurity. I like it.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Sunny, I've noticed that too. It's probably part of why it irritates me. When someone is speaking to me, I like it to be in a confident manner. They have to act like what they're saying is worthwhile or I have a really hard time paying attention.

Vera
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I've tried to avoid using 'lol' because it's one of those words like 'dude' that if you start using it, you will never get rid of using it. It'll just be dude this, dude that, hey dude, oh my god dude, whatever dude.. Same with lol, sarcastic "oh LAWL!" to the serious half-snort-half-laugh "lol!" to the exaggerated "lololololololol".

And since the excessive online use may lead to excessive offline use, I try to steer clear of the lawl-disease. :/

killer_queen
07-31-2006, 02:52 PM
It can be really annoying if you don't know what it means. When I first came to this board - and when I was posting at GOD - everyone, every fucking one was using at least three lols in a sentence. I looked for its meaning in the dictionary for a thousand times and couldn't find it. It was like everyone else using a special language and I was the only one who didn't know that.

Okay, enough of my stupid stories. It's still annoying when people over use it. But I don't mind "lolz". I don't know why but I always imagine people actually saying lolz when they're typing it.

Izie
07-31-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm way too lazy tonight, I'll just agree with Sunny on everything she said.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
I try to restrict my use of lol and lol-variants to discussing the Holocaust.

Tizzalicious
"lol" is the Dutch word for "fun", so we dutchies have an excuse to use it in spoken language.

I don't though. But "lolz" is too good not use.

Paint_It_Black
Okay, enough of my stupid stories.

You mean adorable stories.

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 02:55 PM
I try to restrict my use of lol and lol-variants to discussing the Holocaust.

Hololcaust?

Vera
07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
"lol" is the Dutch word for "fun", so we dutchies have an excuse to use it in spoken language.
That is still the coolest thing ever. Het lol!

Sinister
07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
For some reason I seem to use far less lol's on the BBS than on MSN, maybe because I sort of use it as a conversation-filler for instant messenging. And like Vera said, it's one of those words you can't stop using - but that doesn't mean I don't try.

I suggest something to be discussed next : action-denoting asterisks, such as this : *bangs fist on desk*

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 02:59 PM
I suggest something to be discussed next : action-denoting asterisks, such as this : *bangs fist on desk*

Alright, what's your opinion on it?

*stops paying attention until Simon goes away* lol :P

Tizzalicious
07-31-2006, 03:00 PM
That is still the coolest thing ever. Het lol!

It's actually "de" lol, but you were close!

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Hololcaust?

The Final Lolution?

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
It's the Lollocaust. Started by Alolf Hitlol. Für die Deutch Vlolk. I could go on.

Richard. I started using lol in conversation as a joke. Now it's seeped into everything.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Rommel? More like Roffel, amirite?

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
You want a shower in Zyklol B?

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Zomg its the lufteroffle!

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
The Luftroffle is useless without a Blolztkrieg!

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Watch out for the 'Night of Lol Knives'.

Paint_It_Black
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
And the Kristlolnacht.

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
That was terrible. I'm sending you to Buchenlold.

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 04:59 PM
He's going on Schindler's Lolst.

If you think about it. The plot of Schindler's list is much better backwards.

HeadAroundU
07-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Edit: Oh, and also... http://iamthelol.ytmnd.com/
OMFG lOlocopter

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 05:33 PM
*invades Ploland*

HeadAroundU
07-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Rommel? More like Roffel, amirite?
youaresoright! :D

Jakebert
07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
There's a Wikipedia page about LOL. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOL_%28Internet_slang%29)

"LOS — Laugh out silently, used in the generally correct assumption that few people really laugh out loud when typing "LOL" "

0r4ng3
07-31-2006, 08:05 PM
How do you laugh out silently? I'm assuming it's making the exact same movements as someone who is laughing out loud, but without any sound whatsoever.

Betty
07-31-2006, 08:31 PM
I have always avoided any kind of abbreviation whatsoever as well as any kind of smiley whatsoever. I'll use "ha" or "haha" to denote a joke... or something said lightheartedly, or in response to something that's funny. "Hahahahahaha" probably means I chuckled or at least smiled. If something makes me laugh a LOT I'll usually say "That made me laugh a lot" or something along those lines.

I guess if "lol" were used where I would use "haha" then that's alright. But it does start to bother me when it's randomly put in everywhere. "How are you lol?" "I'm okay lol" I'd agree it sounds like it's punctuating insecurity or lack of something interesting to say.

I don't mind the flipside where people use the "omg" and "lolz" and whatever in almost a mocking sort of fashion, but personally I think that usage is even a little excessive. But I'm just a serious person like that.

Little_Miss_1565
07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
But I'm just a serious person like that.

*snort* lol

But seriously, folks. Per, Justin, I am not only laughing but crying out loud at this most recent exchange of yours. Is it the heat? The sleep deprivation? Perhaps. But oh the lols.

Llamas
07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
I didn't read every post in here, but here's my take on LOL.

I use it when:

-I am physically laughing at something

-If it were real life, I would be laughing.

I tend to laugh at things out loud more in real life than when nobody is around. I think that's probably true for a lot of people. I don't type "lol" if I wouldn't be laughing in real life. However, it is a dumb abbreviation.

I say "WTF" and "BTY" in real life, but only because WTF is stupid cause it takes longer to say WTF than WHAT THE FUCK, and BTY is an inside joke (obviously meaning by the way but spelled wrong).

Sin Studly
07-31-2006, 11:01 PM
But seriously, folks. Per, Justin, I am not only laughing but crying out loud at this most recent exchange of yours. Is it the heat? The sleep deprivation? Perhaps. But oh the lols.

Nah, it's just the immense comedic value of the Holocaust. Klols Barbie. LOL!

SkunkIt
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
lol great thread.

roflmfao

WebDudette
08-01-2006, 01:15 AM
What really annoys me is when people not only end a sentence with "lol" but begin the same sentence with it.

I ocassionaly use "lol" if it was something that I would have laughed about in real life or atleast smiled at. But I usually just say something like "heh" or "haha"

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 05:12 PM
To be fair, I haven't "lol'd" yet.

lmao.

Being honest I actually laughed out loud there.

Ninty Man
08-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Mmm???

Lol?¿

0r4ng3
08-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Bumped, because I can think of a certain member who desperately needs to see this.

Vera
08-07-2006, 02:46 PM
is it me lol

MuddahFukkah
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Bumped, because I can think of a certain member who desperately needs to see this.
No need to tell me!....... I AM HEEEERREEEEEEE!!!!......

Sheena-brfan
08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I have actually been laughing at this entire conversation. But, honestly, the reason people use it all the time is because they're too lazy to write, 'ha ha, that was kinda funny but I didn't really laugh that loudly.' It's easier to type lol and have people know what you mean.

MuddahFukkah
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I have actually been laughing at this entire conversation. But, honestly, the reason people use it all the time is because they're too lazy to write, 'ha ha, that was kinda funny but I didn't really laugh that loudly.' It's easier to type lol and have people know what you mean.
Exactly my point... However, some people seem to be pissed off by that...

Preocupado
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
sorry, but it's pretty clear that you're unable to see a point.

no_way
08-07-2006, 03:18 PM
The reason people use it all the time is because they're too lazy to write, 'ha ha, that was kinda funny but I didn't really laugh that loudly.' It's easier to type lol and have people know what you mean.

No, I think LOL actually means something like 'what you [I] said was really funny/I appreciate it' kind of thing. But we could make a short form for what you mean, AND WE CAN MAKE IT FAMOUZZ!!! HERE WE GO:

HH, TWKFBIDRLTL

WOOOOOOOOOWWW *faints*

0r4ng3
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
BTTWAHM

That's short for "bumping this thread was a huge mistake".

no_way
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
It was at the top on the new posts, at the moment I started reading it, sorry :( :(

OOPS I did it again

Paint_It_Black
08-08-2006, 01:40 AM
OOPS I did it again

He was talking about his own mistake, you idiot.

JoY
08-08-2006, 05:18 AM
"lol" is the Dutch word for "fun",

I was about to mention that.

Harnum
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I used to "lol" (not really laugh, just type it) every sentence on other forums. Did it here on my old account and got flamed. So, I stopped. It also makes so much more sense not to type it every sentence. It gets annoying now that you don't do it and see others do it.

JoY
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
in the beginning, when I'd just became a member of this forum, I didn't understand why everyone kept using a Dutch word in about the same sense as we know it. someone actually had to explain me what it stood for. quite embarrassing, you can imagine.

Vera
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
I remember my first encounter with "lol". It was in the chatroom of this site in like 2000 and this guy was like "lol" so finally I asked, "What does that mean?". He replied, "laughing out loud" but I insisted, "But what do you mean by that?" because he would literally answer yes/no questions with "lol" and I found that super-annoying.

Like, "How are you?" "lol" - "How's the weather?" "lol" - "Do you listen to Foo Fighters?" "lol"

dshfdkhgkjfhgkfhgkfhk DIE LAWLLERS DIE.

T-6005
08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
There's something drastically wrong with the world if so many people don't know how to finish a sentence.
*nods sagely*

the period lol

Llamas
08-08-2006, 11:06 AM
my first chatroom encounter, I was super confused by the term "IM me". I kept thinking, "Of course you're you. I don't get it. Why do people keep saying they're themselves?" Yeah.

- -Lauren- -
08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I used to write 'lol' when I was IMing, however, not really anymore. It's more of a 'haha' or something of that assortment.

I stopped my 'lolness' when girls started to actually say in person-to-person conversation "LOL" and "WTF?". Because when I thought about it, the whole concept of "lol" sounded completely rediculous.

no_way
08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
my first chatroom encounter, I was super confused by the term "IM me". I kept thinking, "Of course you're you. I don't get it. Why do people keep saying they're themselves?" Yeah.

I... Still don't know what "IM me" means...

suicide_thoughts
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I think IM means instant message.

no_way
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Ooooooh I get it. Thank you so much

Chev_Am
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Sometimes I use lol as a joke. But not in everyday chatting or anything like that. My friend says j/k or lol outside of the internet and it really pisses me off.