PDA

View Full Version : An Article on the British that I had to Share

wheelchairman
07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm translating this from the Danish daily paper "Urban". Which is free on our public transportation. (yay).

Early Pregnancy is a Carreer Choice

Babyboom
Great Britain is still battling one of Europe's highest percentages of teen pregnancy epidemics, but new research hints that it's not because of a lack of knowledge about birthcontrol.

by Lone Theils
(translated by me)

London - "I didn't care for school... I hated being there... It was horrible. So I just decided to get a baby and I knew that it would happen."

This is the way a 13 year old British girl describes her decision to change from being a student to being a mom in a research report from the organization Joseph Rowntree Foundation, a group that has taken a look at the reasons behind Great Britains abnormally high amount of teenage pregnancies.

The report show that the British government's attempt to solve the problem, which costs society over 700 million DKK (Danish Crowns) a year, has missed the point entirely.

The British health ministry has in recent years pumped millions of pounds into informing British teenages in socially unstable areas about the advantages of condoms, birth control pills, and abstinence. But according to the report, which has interviewed several teenage parents in these socially weak areas, that this isn't the key problem.

For many teenagers is the job of being a parent the only alternative they have to being unemployed, and if you're a mom or a dad, at least you're something. As an 18 year old mom explained:

"I view being a mom as a job. If I wasn't a mom, I wouldn't have any job, so it was probably a good decision for me personally."

A Positive Choice
In other words, becoming pregnant is a career choice. A choice which according to the report is percieved as a positive choice,which the youth feel they have control over.

Other explanations were about what is socially acceptable in the near environment, like the 15 year old mother who found inspiration in her own family.

"I've always wanted to do what my mother did. It worked for her. She didn't want anything else, and it was the same for me. It's hard but my daughter is a good baby and I would rather do this than work."

Many teenagers, including young men, say that they feel like they are under direct pressure from their surroundings to settle down and start a family. A 15 year old looks back on the year she got pregnant and wonders how she thought about her future. "We spoke about family and getting married. We were only 14." She says.

Others say that they see having children and starting their own families as setting a band-aid on the wound from their own screwed up childhoods.

The report according to Researcher Suzanne Cater will be used to identify those teens who dream about being parents very early in their lives.

"Hopefully the report will be used to support those who aren't getting support already." she says.

A culture that shuns education and supports pregnant teens. Ugh.

HeadAroundU
07-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Now that's some crazy shit!

It's all about retarded parents.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Oooh, I forgot to tell you this! When we were waiting in line for my flight back home, those people in front behind us who were talking to the guy & girl in front of us, were talking about how many baby carriages Copenhagen had! And then they mentioned that Denmark has one of the highest teen-pregnancy rates (they were talking about how many young women walk around with baby carriages, much more than in Holland, which is true), and I was thinking: What about Britaiiiiiiin?

And I was dying to tell you they were talking about baby carriages, but well, they were right next to us.

Vera
08-01-2006, 01:00 AM
I fear this may actually be very true. English education is in such deep shit, I swear to god.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 02:34 AM
English education is in such deep shit, I swear to god.

Speaking as someone who had an English education, I fully agree.

Idiot
08-01-2006, 03:38 AM
I had one too, and also agree. :-|

the_GoDdEsS
08-01-2006, 07:28 AM
This is one of the times I really love our system of education. The whole thing sounds sick.

nieh
08-01-2006, 07:43 AM
I know England has a reputation for not having a really good school system but what exactly is so wrong with it that so many people just stop going at like 13? We don't hear many specifics about it here. Regardless of how bad the school system is, it sounds more like the kid's or the parent's problem than the school's. The fact that they're willing to drop out so young and become a parent because they feel like there's no way for them to be something any other way. Anyway, whatever the cause, this problem bothers the hell out of me. The fact that kids so young (or anyone at any age for that matter) have that mindset is scary.

Little_Miss_1565
08-01-2006, 07:45 AM
*reads article, has a stroke*

mrconeman
08-01-2006, 07:48 AM
I know England has a reputation for not having a really good school system but what exactly is so wrong with it that so many people just stop going at like 13? We don't hear many specifics about it here. Regardless of how bad the school system is, it sounds more like the kid's or the parent's problem than the school's. The fact that they're willing to drop out so young and become a parent because they feel like there's no way for them to be something any other way. Anyway, whatever the cause, this problem bothers the hell out of me. The fact that kids so young (or anyone at any age for that matter) have that mindset is scary.
I fully agree with this, the school system is pretty fucked, but its definatly more the retarded people than the school system being all that bad.

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 08:40 AM

I just see TOM and COG all over this. I mean they were talking about families, engagements and marriage too. And they were 14. In America, at this age. We have retarded puppy-love overly serious relationships too (source: Road Trip). But in Britain they just take it a step further.

the_GoDdEsS
08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
I just see TOM and COG all over this. I mean they were talking about families, engagements and marriage too. And they were 14.

It is exactly what crossed my mind. Them and their engagement crap or whatever.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
It really explains why Lee was talking about feeling bad about being a girlfriend because he is getting "old" and wants babies soon, too.

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 08:53 AM
It really explains why Lee was talking about feeling bad about being a girlfriend because he is getting "old" and wants babies soon, too.Sigged! I mean wtf?

Sunny
08-01-2006, 08:54 AM
oh, jesus, that's depressing.

and ew @ lee babies. :/

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
I need to think when I type. I meant he felt bad about not having a girlfriend of course.

And Sunny, yes indeed. When he said that, all I could think was: "I'm so glad I'm not with him anymore."

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I know England has a reputation for not having a really good school system but what exactly is so wrong with it that so many people just stop going at like 13?

I don't know why anyone stops going at 13. No one I know did that. I didn't even think you could do that, under any circumstances. But I can say a few things about what's wrong with education in England.

One of the biggest problems is it's often not perceived as cool to try hard in school. It is permissable to be naturally intelligent and do well academically, as long as you do it mostly effortlessly and still spend your free time doing absolutely non-academic things. When I was in school no kids who were perceived as geeks had any kind of popularity. Some didn't care and worked hard in school anyway. These were usually the types that would have found it difficult to gain any measure of popularity anyway, such as the ugly or very shy kids. But this left the vast majority of average kids being under-achievers because they simply didn't want to put in any effort, or just didn't want to be seen putting in any effort. Interestingly, this applied far more to boys than to girls. I'm assuming it's a large part of why english girls generally score better than english boys. And of course the theory that modern schooling systems inherantly favour girls.

The English can't teach English. At least in my experience, and it's backed up by the atrocious writing of most english kids that find their way here. I left highschool with an A in both English Language and English Literature. Yet I couldn't have told you the difference between a verb and an adjective, and I'm still unsure on when to use a semi-colon. I had no idea what it meant to diagram a sentence. Fortunately for me I was always naturally good with english. I had an intuitive sense of what sounded mostly right. Probably because I read a lot from a fairly young age. That's the only reason I came out with those two A's, my actual "education" didn't have much to do with it. I would probably never have known how bad my education was had I not become friends with some Americans.

Well, that's enough to be going on with for now. I should probably add that I noticed college was a lot better than highschool. Suddenly it was ok to try harder. The problem is that a lot of students were left poorly equipped to deal with college after a shitty highschool education.

Oh, and Per? Stop abruptly ending sentences. It's confusing as fuck.

nieh
08-01-2006, 10:04 AM
One of the biggest problems is it's often not perceived as cool to try hard in school. It is permissable to be naturally intelligent and do well academically, as long as you do it mostly effortlessly and still spend your free time doing absolutely non-academic things.

That's hardly the school system's fault and it happens everywhere I would imagine. I know I definitely experienced it here in America. It's kind of a social thing among youngins than anything else, the whole "what loser wastes their time working when they could be having fun?" thing. I'm sure the schools could do a LITTLE to make this better, but I doubt it would really help on a large scale.

Regarding the whole English not being able to teach English thing, I'll take your word for it. It certainly does seem that way with the way they all write when they join here. I was going to say it's possible it's not entirely the school's fault, it could just be that the kids don't care and don't pay attention, but you've experienced it and I haven't, so I won't even try arguing that.

Idiot
08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Not all of us write like 14-year olds who can't spell shit.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
That's hardly the school system's fault and it happens everywhere I would imagine. I know I definitely experienced it here in America.

I've lived in America for 6 years now and can confidently say that kids here care way more about their grades, in general. I'm sure you're right and it does happen everywhere, the problem is it happens excessively in England.

Although it's not the fault of the school system, there are things they could be trying to do about it. For example, my school offered no school based clubs to be a part of. No extra-curricular activities, other than a few sports teams that nobody cared about. The vast majority of the kids just saw school as a place you had to go to everyday and couldn't wait to get out again. The school did pretty much nothing to ever make you want to be there. They could have tried offering incentives for academic success. They had a series of privileges that all came with age, such as being allowed to enter the buildings during lunchtime, or leave school property during breaks. It would have been far better if these incentives came with academic success. This is just some stuff off the top of my head, I'm sure if I really thought about it I could come up with plenty of strategies to try and get at least some kids to be more interested and try harder.

I was going to say it's possible it's not entirely the school's fault, it could just be that the kids don't care and don't pay attention, but you've experienced it and I haven't, so I won't even try arguing that.

Some of it is the kids not paying attention or caring. But I paid attention, and in English I cared quite a lot because I liked that subject. And I believe my education was woefully inadequate. It's possible that the whole country might not have been as bad as my school, but I'm fairly certain that it was a problem with the curriculum and all schools were teaching the same thing.

Not all of us write like 14-year olds who can't spell shit.

That's not good enough though. It won't be good enough until the vast majority don't write like 14-year olds who can't spell shit. And then that won't be good enough either, because a 14 year old should be able to fucking spell. There's something very wrong with education in England, and just because some of us turned out alright it doesn't negate that. I mean, look at this damn bbs. Most foreigners can type in english better than most of the english kids. And that's fucking embarressing.

Idiot
08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I agree, it is embarassing. I also agree that its pathetic that not many of English teenagers know how to write etc. properly.
I was just making a point to Nieh who said "with the way they all write", that we aren't all like that, even if a lot of us English teenagers are.

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Richard, yeah it's a bad habit I picked up from Danish. Same with the commas.

And after reading Richard's posts, I keep getting "To Sir With Love" images in my head. How awful.

nieh
08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Those are actually pretty decent ideas. Does it seem like they're doing anything to start stuff like that or does it seem like there's not enough interest to justify the money that would need to go into it?

I agree, it is embarassing. I also agree that its pathetic that not many of English teenagers know how to write etc. properly.
I was just making a point to Nieh who said "with the way they all write", that we aren't all like that, even if a lot of us English teenagers are.

I never meant to imply it was that way with ALL English people, just that there's a very high percentage of people who start posting here from ENGLAND and aren't capable of writing ENGLISH. It normally requires less effort to understand someone where English is a second language to them.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I have no idea. Since I moved to America I haven't followed much of what goes on in England, except for whatever makes it on American news or my family tells me.

I never meant to imply it was that way with ALL English people, just that there's a very high percentage of people who start posting here from ENGLAND and aren't capable of writing ENGLISH. It normally requires less effort to understand someone where English is a second language to them.

Exactly. It's disgraceful.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Richard, yeah it's a bad habit I picked up from Danish. Same with the commas.

And after reading Richard's posts, I keep getting "To Sir With Love" images in my head. How awful.

They throw in random periods in sentences in Danish? I can't even get the commas right in Dutch, I'm never gonna learn Danish :(

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
They throw in random periods in sentences in Danish? I can't even get the commas right in Dutch, I'm never gonna learn Danish :(
They throw in random commas for sure.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
But you throw in random periods!

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM
But you throw in random periods!
Yeah that's because I type what I hear in my head, and sometimes I mean comma where I put periods. Because there are these grammatic pauses in Danish. However they are superfluous in English.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
You think weird.

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I think that they should disipline the kids more, this is ridiculous.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I type what I hear in my head

If the voices start trying to make you do things, seek immediate help.

Unless the voices tell you to seek immediate help. Then it might be some kind of trick.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
And you're British, I assume?

Edit: This is to Dude from Dudetown.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't think he is. My guess is American.

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
And you're British, I assume?

Edit: This is to Dude from Dudetown.

No, I am an American.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm so smart.

Edit: Here's how you can learn to tell. You see, English people say stupid things, but it's alright because you can't really figure out what the fuck they just typed anyway. Americans say stupid things, but they tend to spell it better.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:28 PM
He still can't spell.

But he got ridiculous right, he gets bonuspoints for that.

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:28 PM
He still can't spell.

I can spell, what are you talking about?

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
"disipline".

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah, alright, British education sucks. We're all fat. We have bad teeth. WE GET IT.

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
"disipline".

Yes, that's how I spelled it. :confused:

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Yes, that's how I spelled it. :confused:

...yes, you did.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, alright, British education sucks. We're all fat. We have bad teeth. WE GET IT.

A little touchy today?

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:32 PM
If you can answer my question seriously then I will leave this thread forever.

What does abstinence mean?

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
He still can't spell.

Hahaha, I saw you write "hypocrit" twice yesterday. I'm loving it.

No offense though, your language skills are obviously excellent in general.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
We're all fat. We have bad teeth. WE GET IT.

No, the Americans are all fat, not us.

We're the ones with the terrible food. Which could be why we aren't all fat. I guess everything has a plus side.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Hahaha, I saw you write "hypocrit" twice yesterday. I'm loving it.

No offense though, your language skills are obviously excellent in general.

Haha, I always forget how to spell that :( (Tell plz, kthx.)

Dude guy, I'm sure that threat will make people take you serious.

"Disipline" should be "discipline".

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Can you please answer my question four posts up?

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
I just did?

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
I want to know what abstinence means.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
www.dictionary.com

might come in handy anyway.

Lars
I came here when I was 14 from American schooling. I don't feel like I learned too much in the two years of GCSE's. Not to mention, no one explained what they were to me, I didn't realise this work I was doing counted towards some final marks until the second year.

Back to the pregnancy/baby discussion. There are those that also get free accomodation and other assistance if they have a baby. What better way to use (our) tax money. I'm assuming this is still (possibbly) the case, as this was a few years ago.

Dude From Dudetown
www.dictionary.com

might come in handy anyway.

It does not tell you exactly what it is, I need it from someone's own words.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
"Abstinence implies the willful avoidance of pleasures, especially of food and drink, thought to be harmful or self-indulgent"

That's not clear enough?

Idiot
08-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Now, you know he's American

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstinence

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:52 PM
"Abstinence implies the willful avoidance of pleasures, especially of food and drink, thought to be harmful or self-indulgent"

That's not clear enough?

Well, I'm surprised it said especially food and drink. I would have thought it was a word more commonly applied to sex.

And hypocrite is spelled with an "e" on the end. I notice that quite a lot of people don't get that one right.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, I'm surprised it said especially food and drink. I would have thought it was a word more commonly applied to sex.

And hypocrite is spelled with an "e" on the end. I notice that quite a lot of people don't get that one right.

Sex would be the first thing I thought about too actually.

A lot of people can't get "ridiculous" right either, that's not an excuse :( I lose at life.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Sex would be the first thing I thought about too actually.

That's because you're a postitute.

Hey, now I'm suddenly wondering if that amusing pun is actually a horrible spelling error. Since you lose at life.

0r4ng3
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
What is a "postitute" anyway?

Tizzalicious
No, Per told me to get it :( And I am his whore, so I do what he says.

Tizzalicious
What is a "postitute" anyway?

Per is a mailman ;) And, like I just said, I'm his whore.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
And I am his whore, so I do what he says.

Did he have to train you, or did he just get lucky and find you this way?

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Ask Tizz to tell the story of how she learned to spell "finish" correctly.

Dave, this clearly wasn't applicable to all Brits. No reason to get uppity about it. However instead of getting offended over a documented and researched fault (I view it as a fault) learn to find justifications for it. Richard just mentioned Americans are fatter. I would've countered with "there are some parts of Europe, like England, that are fatter than some parts of America. And vice versa." Allowing me to be unashamed of my background.

But then again, I don't come from England.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Did he have to train you, or did he just get lucky and find you this way?

He's a very lucky guy.

Per, the question is how I learned to misspell it.

0r4ng3
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Ask Tizz to tell the story of how she learned to spell "finish" correctly.
That reminds me of Mr. 10000.

I speak finish!

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I would've countered with "there are some parts of Europe, like England, that are fatter than some parts of America. And vice versa." Allowing me to be unashamed of my background.

Shut up fatty.

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Shut up fatty.

Per doesn't have any fat parts :(

Dude From Dudetown
08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Chicken Cheeze-Its

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Per doesn't have any fat parts :(
The only fat on your body is in your brain. :(

the_GoDdEsS
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I've already asked around about language classes, which did not seem that cool. Can anyone tell me what you guys in Britain do in literature class?

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what you guys in Britain do in literature class?

We mostly took turns reading aloud to the class. Which I hate, because I can only learn well when I read things myself, and can barely learn at all when I'm the one reading out loud. Then, we had mostly lame discussions.

I read Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Pride and Prejudice. There were probably others but I don't remember. Sucked for me being in the highest "set", because the class below me read Lord of the Flies, which actually sounded fun. Oh well.

We also read various poems. The only thing I got from that was an appreciation of war poets, such as Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon.

Just remembered also reading Animal Farm, Henry V, and oddly enough, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Idiot
08-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I read/studied the war poems that Paint_It_Black stated, as well as reading/studying MacBeth, Romeo & Juliet and Dr.Faustus.

the_GoDdEsS
08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Did the kids read the books and had to make like projects and discussions?

I hate reading out loud. When I do, I concentrate more on the form rather than the content. And when somebody else does, it just the way they read disturbs me. So yeah.

wheelchairman
08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah reading out loud is retarded. Because you don't process what you say yourself. And the others read slower than you think (unless you're Tizz.)

Tizzalicious
08-01-2006, 02:04 PM
H8 Per. Fo sho.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I hate reading out loud. When I do, I concentrate more on the form rather than the content. And when somebody else does, it just the way they read disturbs me. So yeah.

Fucking exactly.

Yeah, we had some projects and discussions. Usually nothing interesting though. Except when I had to play the part of Lady Macbeth and say something about a baby sucking on my nipple. That was fairly interesting.

Yatesy
08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I fear this may actually be very true. English education is in such deep shit, I swear to god.

Yeah it's true, finishing only 2 years ago I've not heard anything good about it ever.

Vera
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I think it can't be the "cool kids don't study"-thing, that happens almost everywhere (excluding third world where you're lucky enough if you can learn how to read).. I think what may matter more is what happens afterwards - it feels like in Finland, kids go two ways - high school or a school where you learn a profession. In senior high people usually understand that studying gets you somewhere and there's a bigger tolerance for "nerds" who actually vigorously study. Plus some senior highs are composed of ONLY the all A-grade kids so those places are competetive as hell.

The "no study" kids go their own ways, learn a profession, work in that profession, maybe move onto something else when they realize they don't want to be plumbers all their lives.

In Finland it helps that you have free education. You can take a year off, work, then enter a uni (after passing an entrance exam that is) and it's not a problem, and you don't need 10,000 euros to get a degree in something (supporting yourself while studying is enough trouble for most people). In Britain education isn't free so if you fall out, you just fall out and financially it is probably impossible to get back into the system, apply to study somewhere and get ahead in some way.

So you end up getting a kid, living on the dole and being like a character from Two Pints and a Bag of Crisps - low level, not much to look forward to, but at least you have a kid.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
I think it can't be the "cool kids don't study"-thing, that happens almost everywhere

Yes, but it possibly happens excessively in England.

By the way, education is free up until University as long as you meet certain criteria. I just thought I'd clarify that.

Sin Studly
08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
British food is good, though.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2006, 08:45 PM
British food is good, though.

Shh, that's a closely guarded secret.