PDA

View Full Version : Best Grunge Band?

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm sure everyone is going to vote for Nirvana, but these are all good grunge bands.

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Nine Inch Nails and Tool aren't Grunge.

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, they were popular during the grunge era.

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
So were millions of other bands.

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I've seen Nine Inch Nails and Tool classified as grunge before.

0r4ng3
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I'll say Soundgarden, but they only win my vote by default.

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I've seen Nine Inch Nails and Tool classified as grunge before.

Proof?

10 thingy's.

nieh
08-01-2006, 06:48 PM

NIN are industrial, Tool are grunge.

Pearl Jam were never really a grunge band, they just looked like one and came from Seattle the same time grunge was big there so they got labelled that way. Anyway, they're my favorite off the list.

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
NIN are industrial, Tool are grunge.

Yeah, i'd agree NIN are industrial, but i'd still say Tool aren't grunge. Or not what i'd class grunge as.

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Proof?

10 thingy's.
On Amazon.com I read a review for Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror Greatest Hits album that said there were 6 major grunge bands. The reviewer mentioned Tool as one of the 6 major grunge bands. As for Nine Inch Nails, I read a review for their Pretty Hate Machine album on Amazon that said it was the album that "brought 80's music in the the 90's." That's when Hair Metal was changing into Grunge.

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 06:55 PM
On Amazon.com I read a review for Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror Greatest Hits album that said there were 6 major grunge bands. The reviewer mentioned Tool as one of the 6 major grunge bands. As for Nine Inch Nails, I read a review for their Pretty Hate Machine album on Amazon that said it was the album that "brought 80's music in the the 90's." That's when Hair Metal was changing into Grunge.

I'll still take my personal opinion over amazon.com.

Anyway, from that list i'll say Soundgarden are the best grunge band.

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I'll say Soundgarden, but they only win my vote by default.
What do you mean by "by default?"

0r4ng3
08-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't hate them as much.

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Oh man, I've never known anybody who didn't like any of those bands. Well, I know some people that don't like rock and roll, but I've never known anybody that liked rock and roll but didn't like any of the bands on this poll.

opivy21
08-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Of those choices, Soundgarden, but I'm not really a fan of that list. And I don't know if Mudhoney are considered grunge (I haven't heard many songs by them, either), but they covered the Dicks so they're alright in my book.

Professor Chaos
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Tool is the only band on that list that doesn't blow, and they shouldn't even BE on the list.

Jakebert
08-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Pearl Jam. They're the only grunge band from the 90's era to actually last longer than the fad.

And Tool is not a grunge band. Those reviews on Amazon are done by normal people, and those same types of people call Angels and Airwaves the most amazing band of the last 20 years.

ThrashedThrasher
08-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Pearl Jam. They're the only grunge band from the 90's era to actually last longer than the fad.

Only because Eddie Vedder is a genious that did not fall under the influence of drugs. Quite honestly, I think Pearl Jam need to stop. Their new album absolutely blows and they seem to be more of an attention issue then a band anymore.

My vote goes toward Alice in Chains.

offspring fan
08-02-2006, 02:22 AM
ill say..... Pearl Jam.

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 05:45 AM

And Tool is not a grunge band. Those reviews on Amazon are done by normal people, and those same types of people call Angels and Airwaves the most amazing band of the last 20 years.
Yeah, I guess the 2nd half of that post is probably true, but Pearl Jam are not the only band on this list to outlast grunge. The Stone Temple Pilots broke up 2002, long after grunge had faded. Nine Inch Nails are still going. And I think Soundgarden broke up in 1999, didn't they? That was after grunge.

Athom
08-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Even though they're not exactly grunge (like 1/2 that list), I'd say Pearl Jam are easily my favourites.

nieh
08-02-2006, 07:25 AM

Tool are grunge. I don't know if I'd say they're STILL grunge because they have changed a little but Undertow and Aenima have tons of slow, sludging heavy metal in the mix.

pathfinder
08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
i think alice in chains but i love pearl jam to.
I dont realy like nirvana.
Its way to easy to like them.

Yatesy
08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
I personally wouldn't class NiN or Tool grunge but meh that's just my opinion. Out of that list I'd say Stone Temple Pilots or Alice In Chains, that list could've been bigger though.

Jakebert
08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Only because Eddie Vedder is a genious that did not fall under the influence of drugs. Quite honestly, I think Pearl Jam need to stop. Their new album absolutely blows and they seem to be more of an attention issue then a band anymore.

Their new album is one of the best that they've done. And the reason they've outlasted most of those other bands is because they managed to evolve and add in different styles of music over the years instead of sticking to the same formula.

Yeah, I guess the 2nd half of that post is probably true, but Pearl Jam are not the only band on this list to outlast grunge. The Stone Temple Pilots broke up 2002, long after grunge had faded. Nine Inch Nails are still going. And I think Soundgarden broke up in 1999, didn't they? That was after grunge

Yes, yes they are. The Stone Temple Pilots sucked, NIN is industrial and not grunge, and Soundgarden really didn't do anything good after the big 90's grunge boom. Pearl Jam has been making good music this whole time, despite a lot of the grunge fans disowning them for experimenting.

Even though they're not exactly grunge (like 1/2 that list), I'd say Pearl Jam are easily my favourites.

Pearl Jam fits in perfectly with the second wave of mainstream grunge. They mixed classic rock, metal, and punk into one sound. That's what grunge is.

cybermears
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
are the smashing pumpkins grunge?

0r4ng3
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I really, really don't think they are.

I just remembered who Stone Temple Pilots are, and now I wish I had voted for them.

DeAtHsTaR
08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I just remembered who Stone Temple Pilots are, and now I wish I had voted for them.
I personally think their first two albums are amazing, but everything after sucks, with the exception of a few select songs.

Athom
08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Pearl Jam fits in perfectly with the second wave of mainstream grunge. They mixed classic rock, metal, and punk into one sound. That's what grunge is.

Yeah I agree, but apart from a few songs they've never really had that dirty, grunge sound to them. When you listen to Screaming Trees or Green River and then Pearl Jam, they almost sound too clean.

Jakebert
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes, hence why I said they fit with the second wave of grunge that got huge in the early 90's.

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, yes they are. The Stone Temple Pilots sucked, NIN is industrial and not grunge, and Soundgarden really didn't do anything good after the big 90's grunge boom. Pearl Jam has been making good music this whole time, despite a lot of the grunge fans disowning them for experimenting.

How can you like Pearl Jam, but not the Stone Temple Pilots? They're pretty similar. I guess most of STP's music after the grunge era sucked, but I haven't heard a lot of Pearl Jam's post-grunge music. From what I hear, it isn't any better. NIN is pretty similar to the grunge bands if they are not grunge. Their music is kind of dark, and grunge music is dark. As for Soundgarden, I like their latest stuff the best actually. My favorite Soundgarden songs are "Blow Up The Outside World,""Ty Cobb," and "Bleed Together," all of which were recorded for their last album. I've always preferred those songs to "Outshined,""Black Hole Sun,""Fell On Black Days," etc. I know most people won't agree with me on that, but that's just my opinion.

As for Pearl Jam, I saw them in concert a few months ago and they were awesome, but I'm still not sure about their past few albums before this year. I do not believe they were any more popular than the last few albums of STP, NIN, and Soundgarden.

Jakebert
08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Pearl Jam has a lot more of a blues touch, and do a lot more folk influenced stuff than STP, plus Eddie is a way better songwriter than the guy from STP.

I wasn't talking about popularity as much as quality. Pearl Jam's post-grunge boom albums were all consistently good, even if they weren't anything groundbreaking. STP's post grunge boom stuff was shit, and Soundgarden's wasn't anything great.

NIN don't sound anything like grunge. NIN uses a lot of synths and computer effects, hence them being industrial. R.E.M.'s "Automatic For The People" was pretty dark and came out in 1992, but that doesn't mean it's grunge.

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I wasn't talking about popularity as much as quality. Pearl Jam's post-grunge boom albums were all consistently good, even if they weren't anything groundbreaking. STP's post grunge boom stuff was shit, and Soundgarden's wasn't anything great.

Well, that's just a matter of opinion.

ruroken
08-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Tool is the only band on that list that doesn't blow, and they shouldn't even BE on the list.
...What songs by Soundgarden have you heard?

bouncingcoles
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
ya i voted for nirvana. fuck soundgarden and shit, nine inch nails and tool are not even grunge anyway

Thomas
08-05-2006, 12:57 PM
I never really got into grunge, so i don't really know too much about it. I am pretty sure, though, that NIN are not grunge. Anyway, I voted for Tool because of their sheer talent.

Corpse
08-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Alice in Chains. Simple.