PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan

Jakebert
08-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Even though I'm sure this is the last place in the world to look for Bob Dylan fans: I got "Bringing it all Back Home" a week ago on a whim, and I really like it, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which one I should get next.

RickyCrack
08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Highway 61 Revisited -- Amazing Album.

bd007h
08-01-2006, 11:09 PM
He's got some good songs, but I prefer his son's band The Wallflowers

XYlophonetreeZ
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
As soon as I saw "bd007h" under "last post," I instantly knew the post would say that. I also instantly knew that you're gonna get flamed for that.

bd007h
08-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I know I'll get flamed too.

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 06:06 AM
My dad loves Bob Dylan, but I'm not a big fan. The Guns n Roses version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" blows the Bob Dylan version out of the water.

BREAK
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Get Blood on the Tracks, yo.

Jakebert
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
My dad loves Bob Dylan, but I'm not a big fan. The Guns n Roses version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" blows the Bob Dylan version out of the water.

Guns 'n Roses don't have shit on Dylan, sorry. Axl Rose is the definition of what a musician shouldn't be, and Slash is overrated.

Get Blood on the Tracks, yo.

I was planning on choosing between that and Highway 61 Revisited, actually. I was hoping there would be a majority vote in this thread to help me decide which one. Stupid tie.

the_GoDdEsS
08-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I like Gates of Eden, Blowing in the Wind and Subterranean Homesick Blues. Recommend some other good stuff?

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Guns 'n Roses don't have shit on Dylan, sorry. Axl Rose is the definition of what a musician shouldn't be, and Slash is overrated.

Then how come you're the one that asked if Guns n Roses had any new stuff in the last GNR thread?

Jakebert
08-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Because I was curious. One thing about the whole Chinese Democracy thing is that I'm really curious what an album that takes around 10 years to make sounds like.

Sin Studly
08-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Gates of Eden is the best Dylan song ever.

Offspring-Junkie
08-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Don't know if he wrote or performed it, but "stuck in the middle with you" and "The man in me" are great.

Not Ozymandias
08-25-2006, 01:11 AM
You should get Highway 61 Revisited since a) it's one of his 3 or 4 best; and b) it's the next album (dropped the same year even - why doesn't anyone do that (AND pull it off) anymore?) after Bringing It All Back Home.

If you like that you should get Blood on the Tracks or Time Out of Mind.

You can't really go wrong actually, unless you get Self-Portrait or anything from when he was a Christian (Slow Train Coming through Oh Mercy).

Not Ozymandias
08-25-2006, 01:30 AM
I like Gates of Eden, Blowing in the Wind and Subterranean Homesick Blues. Recommend some other good stuff?
A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
Like A Rolling Stone
Desolation Row
Visions of Johanna
Lay Lady Lay
Tangled Up in Blue
Shelter From the Storm

Llamas
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
He's got some good songs, but I prefer his son's band The Wallflowers

I'm also not surprised to hear that from you.

Jakob's got Bob beat as far as voice and guitar playing, but Jakob's not nothing on Bob for lyrics. I listen to Wallflowers more than Bob, though.

I only have one Bob Dylan album, and I don't remember which one. :(

mrconeman
08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
I only have the greatest hits, and my dad has a few of his albums I've been meaning to borrow, but yeah, Dylan's an amazing writer, The Hurricane, Jokerman, Knockin' on Heavens Door, Mr. Tambourine man, Like a Rolling Stone and Blowing in the Wind are my absolute Bob favourites.

As for Guns vs Bob on Knockin' on Heavens Door, I enjoy both versions alot, but the original clearly out-shines the Guns version, the song just has a magic to it.

/Puts on Bob Dylan.

RickyCrack
08-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Most of Bob Dylans songs aren't songs that he wrote. This isn't a bad thing, a big thing about folk musicians is that they all do their own versions of songs that were written during the Guthrie era and etc. These songs are passed down from generation to generation. Most of his greatest hits he wrote himself though.

Weird Sam Ramone
09-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Subterranean Homesick Blues and Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 are the best Bob Dylan Songs.

HornyPope
09-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Can't believe you guys missed:

Just like a woman
I want you
The times they are a-changing
Ballad of a thin man
Highway 61 revisted (the song)
Absolutly sweet Marie