PDA

View Full Version : The "Where do I start?" thread.

Pages : [1] 2

Jakebert
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
So, my Bob Dylan thread gave me an idea. If you want to listen to a band and get into them, but don't know where to start, this is the thread for you to ask, instead of having to make a new thread every time.

I personally don't have anything to ask right now, but I wanted to make the thread before I forgot.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I love the idea. One of the bands everyone is talking about, and that I only have a couple songs of, is Dragonforce. They sound like the kind of music I'd like, any suggestions?

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I've heard some really good Queen songs, but my dad has the album with "Bohemian Rhapsody," and besides that song, it SUCKS! Can anyone recommend a good Queen album?

jacknife737
08-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Guttermouth

and

The Mr T Experience

any suggestions?

pathfinder
08-03-2006, 05:42 AM
I wanne find some new bands. any suggestions???
I like almost every kind of rock.
Just not the really heavy stuff like death metal.

nieh
08-03-2006, 06:08 AM
The Mr T Experience

Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend
Thank You (for not being one of them)
You're the Only One
King Dork

I love those guys.

That_Guy91
08-03-2006, 07:09 AM
I know it's kinda dumb to ask for an entire genre, but can someone recommend me some jazz?

nieh
08-03-2006, 08:07 AM
I know it's kinda dumb to ask for an entire genre, but can someone recommend me some jazz?

Straight jazz or other stuff?

Sinister
08-03-2006, 08:13 AM
my request is special, but oh well.

where do I start if I want to play Metallica stuff on guitar ?

That_Guy91
08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Straight jazz or other stuff?
Um... I dunno. Anything.

Endymion
08-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Um... I dunno. Anything.
i love john zorn and ken vandermark. sun ra is hella good if you have the time for it.

ok, albums... um.

john zorn - bar kokhba
ken vandermark - cuts
and i still have a hard on for zorn/douglas/patton/laswell/burger/perowsky - the stone: issue one

if you want some stuff mixed with other genres...
the plot to blow up the eiffel tower - dissertation, honey
naked city - complete discography (i love the first disc the most)
yuma nora - jewels in the snakepit
anything you can find by silver daggers or night wounds

XYlophonetreeZ
08-03-2006, 09:58 AM

One and Nothing Else Matters. Everyone I know who plays guitar started out playing these songs. Seriously.

nieh
08-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Ryan,

Do you know if John Zorn's soundtrack albums any good? My cd store has copies of 3 different ones (I think XII, XVII and XVIII) and I have no idea what to expect from them.

Thanks,
Josh

I didn't realize I was writing this like an email until now. Work has finally ingrained itself into my brain.

DeAtHsTaR
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Recommend me some Helloween.

DeAtHsTaR
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I love the idea. One of the bands everyone is talking about, and that I only have a couple songs of, is Dragonforce. They sound like the kind of music I'd like, any suggestions?
Operation Ground and Pound, Storming the Burning Fields.

Yatesy
08-03-2006, 02:08 PM

The album Inhuman Rampage is a good place to start with, then I'd go for Sonic Firestorm.

jacknife737
08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend
Thank You (for not being one of them)
You're the Only One
King Dork

I love those guys.

Thank you!

All About Eve
08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Dave Matthews Band, anyone?

XYlophonetreeZ
08-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Save yourself. Don't start anywhere.

bd007h
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
good answer

All About Eve
08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Save yourself. Don't start anywhere.
I've always hated him. And still do. But there's always been a song here and there that I kind of find catchy, so I'm curious as to if there's anything besides those couple songs (Crash, and one other I can't remember the name of)

opivy21
08-03-2006, 03:48 PM
You should definitely check out all of the big names.

Charlie Mingus
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Wes Montgomery
Charlie Parker
Les Paul

Some of those are spread out across a couple decades, so you should listen to more than just one of them.

Mr. Noodles
08-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I'd like some reccomendations for The Flaming Lips, please.
I like "Bad Days", "In the Morning of the Magicians", "Nobody Told Me (cover)", "The Yeah Yeah Song". I have a cover of "Under Pressure" but still haven't listened to it yet.
Anything else I should check out?

Endymion
08-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Ryan,

Do you know if John Zorn's soundtrack albums any good? My cd store has copies of 3 different ones (I think XII, XVII and XVIII) and I have no idea what to expect from them.

Thanks,
Josh

I didn't realize I was writing this like an email until now. Work has finally ingrained itself into my brain.

no idea. 97% of his stuff is 100% awesome though, so it's probably worth checking out.

SkunkIt
08-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Any metal band like The Black Dahlia Murder? I'm not even sure what kind of Metal they are, but I like it.

Also, does anyone know any good bands, like Aqua, whatever genre Aqua is? (not sure)

I don't know the names of most sub-genres, I just listen to what I like.

Mr. Noodles
08-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Also, does anyone know any good bands, like Aqua, whatever genre Aqua is? (not sure)
I'm sure my mom would know.
The only song I really know is "Barbie Girl" and I say it's dance/techno.
Although I don't know much about the artist Cirrus, but I think the song "The Answer" is kinda catchy. It's a dance song.

Are there any J-Pop bands similar to The Pillows?

All About Eve
08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Any metal band like The Black Dahlia Murder? I'm not even sure what kind of Metal they are, but I like it.
Black Metal; try Dimmu Borgir or maybe Cradle of Filth (I used to like them:()

BREAK
08-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Dave Matthews Band, anyone?

I'm glad you asked! These are the songs by them I like:

Two Step
Drive In, Drive Out
Lie In Our Graves
Jimi Thing
Warehouse
Dancing Nancies
The Stone
Crush
There's this one funky song on Everyday that I like, but I don't know what it's called, so just listen to the whole album and if there's a good song on it, THAT's the one

Beware: the man (Dave) does some truly horrendous things with his voice at times, and they (the Matthews Band) have a bad habit of jamming endlessly that will probably bore you and they like to totally ruin a nice, somber dark mood with a completely out-of-place happy part. Other than that, they're fine, but I never get the urge to listen to them.

All About Eve
08-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Which album would you recommend? Torrents are my only way of downloading, so albums would be much easier.

BREAK
08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Crash, I guess. They're all interchangable to me.

All About Eve
08-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Alright, thanks.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-03-2006, 07:17 PM
The album Inhuman Rampage is a good place to start with, then I'd go for Sonic Firestorm.

Operation Ground and Pound, Storming the Burning Fields.

Thanks. Even though you both have different answers. I'll probably start with Inhuman Rampage.

Retard
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
For Guttermouth i'd go for either checking out the Musical Monkey Album, or if youre just looking for a couple of songs to get u into them i'd start with,

1-2-3 Slam
Lipstick
Chicken Box
Good Friday
or
Lucky the Donkey

they got a new album comin out this month, hooray!!!

anyone know where to start when it comes to Public Enemy or NWA?

jacknife737
08-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks Retard

anyone know where to start when it comes to Public Enemy

Uh album wise

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

or just a couple songs;

Fight The Power
911 Is A Joke
Bring The Noise

opivy21
08-04-2006, 04:38 AM
For Public Enemy, you could think about getting Power To The People And The Beats which is their greatest hits. Or get It Takes Nations of Millions... or Fear Of A Black Planet.

NWA have a greatest hits cd too, but I'm sure you can get by with just Straight Outta Compton.

If you're talking about songs,

Public Enemy - Don't Believe The Hype, Bring The Noise, Fight The Power, 911 Is A Joke, Rebel Without A Pause.

NWA - Express Yourself, Fuck Da Police, Straight Outta Compton.

H1T_That
08-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Which albums should i start with by:

Fugazi
Streetlight Manifesto
Reel Big fish
Everclear
Minus The Bear

all suggestions are greatly appreciated

Yatesy
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Everclear

Umm Slow Motion Day Dream and So Much For The Afterglow are good ones to start off with.

Jakebert
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Fugazi
Reel Big fish

For Fugazi, most people reccommend Repeater + 3 Songs, and it seems to be a good one to start with.

For Reel Big Fish, Turn the Radio Off is the only one I actually listen to at all anymore, so I'd go with that.

mrconeman
08-04-2006, 12:34 PM

Thats depends on how long you've been playing and what you're already playing and if you mean full songs including solos, so I'll just give some general info.

As odd as it sounds punk is a good place to start to build up your metal rhythm guitar playing. Offspring kinda stuff even, fast palm mutes and that.
Secondly dont dive straight into Metallica, they arent exactly really hard (trying to not sound patronising here) but there is other bands, a tad similar and a tad easier, like Black Sabbath rhythm's. Black Sabbath were a slower band so their stuff is easier to learn (this applies to solos too).

If you get some Sabbath (or Led Zeppelin actually) songs down pretty well, eventually the faster stuff will come easier (this is for solos btw.)

Also, buy a wah pedal and start to suck really hard, then you'll sound like Kirk Hammet. (shh I'm kidding...sort of.)

Really though the main thing it comes down to is, practice, practice, and more practice.

nieh
08-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Fugazi - End Hits is the most easily accessible out of the ones I've heard, so try that first
Streetlight Manifesto - They only have two and there's not too much difference between them. Go for whichever you find first.
Reel Big fish - Anything but Cheer Up. It wasn't bad but it was more pop/punk with horns rather than their typical ska/punk/pop stuff
Everclear - They're all interchangeable and aren't really worth getting into. So much for the Afterglow sounds exactly like Songs from an American Movie right down to the way the tracks are laid out. Of those two, I'd recommend the latter though because I personally got absolutely sick of the hits on Afterglow which made almost half the album worthless.
Minus The Bear - They Make Beer Commercials Like This is my favorite (it's just an EP though).

barangatang
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Streetlight Manifesto

Get Everything Goes Numb. It's actually their only full length album with songs they wrote on it.

Where should I start with...
The mad caddies
our lady peace
The dispatch
pearl jam

Yatesy
08-04-2006, 01:31 PM

pearl jam

TEN! That's the first Pearl Jam album you get. Another good album to start off with is Rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991-2003), although most greatest hits albums are terrible, this has 2 discs (33 songs) and covers their career pretty well. I'd also get the new album as that's pretty damn good.

killer_queen
08-04-2006, 01:56 PM
What about Belle & Sebastian? People always tell that they're great and I like great music.

nieh
08-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Get Everything Goes Numb. It's actually their only full length album with songs they wrote on it.

That's not entirely true. All of the songs on both albums were written by Tom Kalnoky.

And regarding Pearl Jam...it depends on who you ask. Everyone likes a different era more. If you want early Pearl Jam, I'd say Ten or Vitalogy (I prefer Vitalogy out of the earlier stuff). If you want later Pearl Jam I'd say Yield or Riot Act (I like them both and prefer their later stuff).

Come out and smash'em up!
08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
guitar songs for metallica
-enter sandman
-harvester of sorroe
-one
-fade to black
-seek and destroy
-wherever i may roam

bands like aqua
-pandora
-The cardigans

XYlophonetreeZ
08-04-2006, 03:02 PM
What about Belle & Sebastian? People always tell that they're great and I like great music.
I'd start with their album If You're Feeling Sinister. It's sort of their quintessential album, I think, and quite solid for the most part. "Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying" is a good song to start with. It's one of their more well-known songs and it's a really good example of their sound. One of those songs that just makes you want to sing along.

Tigermilk, their independently released debut, is surprisingly alrigh, but maybe wait until you already know you like them to check it out. But "The State I'm In" is a great song, and it's quintessential B&S, so that'd be alright for a sample download. And I really like The Boy With the Arab Strap, but it's more experimental. I don't have any of their other albums, but I really like what I've heard from Dear Catastrophe Waitress, especially "Piazza, New York Catcher." Alright, how 'bout I just shut up and give you a list of songs.

The State I'm In
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
Piazza, New York Catcher
She's Losing It
Me and the Major
Judy and the Dream of Horses
Sleep the Clock Around
Dirty Dream Number Two

barangatang
08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
That's not entirely true. All of the songs on both albums were written by Tom Kalnoky.

And regarding Pearl Jam...it depends on who you ask. Everyone likes a different era more. If you want early Pearl Jam, I'd say Ten or Vitalogy (I prefer Vitalogy out of the earlier stuff). If you want later Pearl Jam I'd say Yield or Riot Act (I like them both and prefer their later stuff).

Hmm, I guess your right since he wrote the songs on keasbay nights.

I think I'll be getting Ten. It has the only songs by them that I've actually heard before. I think it might be good to start with something that I'm a little familiar with.

nieh
08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
The problem with getting Ten is that you're already familiar with the best songs on it. On Vitalogy, most of the tracks are just as good as the songs that made it to the radio.

opivy21
08-04-2006, 06:19 PM
I want to get a record by Dead Prez, and I was thinking about "Let's Get Free". Is it good? Are there any better ones. It's a stretch to get a response, I know.

0r4ng3
08-04-2006, 06:30 PM

Fugazi
Streetlight Manifesto
Minus The Bear
With Fugazi, you should start with Repeater. Either Streetlight Manifesto album would work, but I'd rather get Everything Goes Numb. As for Minus the Bear, I've only been a fan for about a week, so I don't know which album to recommend. Though, if you like funny song titles, go for Highly Refined Pirates.

BREAK
08-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Since someone asked about Fugazi, I thought I'd mention I've been feeling Steady Diet of Nothing SO hard lately. But you really can't go wrong picking any of their releases as a starting point.

Retard
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
thanks for all the PE NWA suggestions guys. i'll be checking that stuff out soon.

opivy21
08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I don't think I've seen a single person suggest 13 Songs as a first Fugazi album. It's one of my favorites. You only really need to hear the first 5 seconds of Waiting Room before you realize that Fugazi is good.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Minus The Bear

Well, maybe it's just me, but Minus the Bear's EP "They Make Beer Commercials Like This" contains maybe 4 songs that crack my Top 10 Minus the Bear songs, which is pretty damn good for a 6-song EP. Highly Refined Pirates is alright, and a couple of highlights on it are fucking EXCELLENT with a type of charm you won't get from their later work, but there are a LOT of the same sounds over and over from the guitars and keyboards, and the guy's voice is pretty dull on it. They improve that stuff on Menos El Oso, but the songs aren't as well-written as, say, the best stuff on They Make Beer Commercials Like This. But if you want some songs to sample, I'll give you a few:

From Highly Refined Pirates:
Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse
Get Me Naked 2: The Electric Boogaloo
I Lost All My Money at the Cock Fights

From They Make Beer Commercials Like This:
Fine + 2 Pts
Pony Up
I'm Totally Not Down With Rob's Alien

From Menos El Oso:
Pachuca Sunrise
Drilling
El Torrente

They have a couple of earlier EPs too, but that stuff's kinda hit-and-miss. I wouldn't check those out until you've already become a fan.

Jakebert
08-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I don't think I've seen a single person suggest 13 Songs as a first Fugazi album. It's one of my favorites. You only really need to hear the first 5 seconds of Waiting Room before you realize that Fugazi is good.

It's not as much on this board, as I've read it in various professional reviews online, plus it's the album all of my friends recommended I check out first. So I figured since it worked for me, it might work for someone else.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I only own two albums (the first two Keeper albums), but I think Keeper of the Seven Keys 2 is better than the first part. But I have to say, I don't really like any of them now. Still, I've heard they're the best albums Helloween has ever released, so I guess you should listen to one of them and see what you think.
I haven't heard Walls of Jericho, but I think it might be good. I've heard some songs and they sound pretty cool. But it's Speed Metal (basically metal mixed with punk) and Kai is the singer so it doesn't sound like their later albums at all.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but which Candlemass album should I get? It's either Nightfall or Tales of Creation.

Yatesy
08-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I wanna know where I should start off with Mew, I have the song Zookeepers Boy and it's really good, so yeah any albums I should look out for.

Also anything for the following bands will do, I know a load of albums from these bands I just don't know which one I should go for:
-Megadeth
-Anthrax
-In Flames (before Soundtrack To Your Escape)

Thank you in advanced.

Original prankstA
08-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Bad Brains

mrconeman
08-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Anyone reccomend me some Yes? (Wishfull thinking on here I suppose)
I've only seen their guitarist Steve Howe on youtube, some of his classical stuff is amazing, I just hope the band is good.

Retard
08-05-2006, 07:40 PM
With Bad Brains theres two places you could start, either their selftitled debut(thats the one with the Capital gettin struck by lightning.) i got that one first on vynl so i havent listened to it as much as i should. but its an incredible album.

the other one would be Banned in DC:Greatest Hits. thats self explanatory. :D

Circle Jerks or Black Flag anyone?

rocketman
08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
For Circle Jerks, I'd say start with Group Sex. It's a short CD (none of the songs are over 2 minutes) but it's a great disc. For Black Flag, I would start with Damaged, but I really haven't heard much of their later stuff.

This is kinda vague, but can anyone recommend me some Funk, and also can someone tell me where to start with either DOA or Dead Boys?

Jakebert
08-05-2006, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Retard:Black Flag anyone?[/QUOTE]

The First Four Years is a good one. Keith Morris > Henry Rollins.

opivy21
08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Bad Brains - Self-titled unless you want their thrash stuff. If you want thrash, get I Against I (I think that's what it's called).

Circle Jerks - Get Group Sex immediately. Wild In The Streets is good too, but it can't touch Group Sex.

Black Flag - First Four Years if you want someone besides Rollins. Damaged if you want Rollins.

Dead Boys - Young Loud N Snotty.

DOA - Hardcore 81 or Something Better Change.

All About Eve
08-05-2006, 09:20 PM
I want to get into Sponge.

Also, I need some recommendations for Ash.

DeAtHsTaR
08-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Molly, Plowed, Rotting Pinata.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I recall you said earlier that it was easiest for you to download albums, so you should definitely get the whole Rotting Pinata album. Be forewarned, the rest of the album is a LOT grungier than you'd expect from Plowed or Molly, but there's still not a bad song on there.

I actually might think that New Pop Sunday is a slightly better album, but Rotting Pinata is quintessential Sponge... you just sort of have to start with it. After that, then you should look into New Pop Sunday, which is poppier, and Wax Ecstatic, which goes in the exact opposite direction from New Pop Sunday and is just a really dark album.

Their fourth album, For All the Drugs in the World, has some really good songs on it. Some of their best songs ever. But it's also the first Sponge album that has multiple BAD songs on it. And their latest album, The Man, just came out last year, and it's really disappointing. Their singer is the only original guy left in the band, and there's only a few songs on it that are worth listening to.

Yatesy
08-06-2006, 07:14 AM
This is kinda vague, but can anyone recommend me some Funk, and also can someone tell me where to start with either DOA or Dead Boys?

I suggest some Jamiroquai, Synkronized and Traveling Without Moving a;bums are probably the best 2 they've done, also maybe some Basement Jaxx perhaps. Oh and Gnarls Barkley are alright too, so yeah some funk for you.

mrconeman
08-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Also, I need some recommendations for Ash.

Burn Baby Burn.
Shining Light.
Girl From Mars.
Meltdown.
Star-Crossed.

For albums I still think 1977 is a complete master-peice of their work. Free all Angles was a great recovery from the absolute muck that was Nu-Clear sounds, avoid Nu-Clear sounds. And their latest effort Meltdown was very nice, probably the best guitar work on that album from Charolette and Tim.

If you were to get any of those though, definatly 1977 just very nice song writing, you could always get their greatest hits called "Intergallactic sonic 7's" to get a feel for them, I personnaly think the tracklisting wasnt the best choice on that album, its still good though.

opivy21
08-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Parliament Funkadelic (sp?) for straight funk. I would also like to recommend funk influenced music such as the Minutemen (especially their stuff on Double Nickles On The Dime), Gang Of Four, and The Big Boys.

All About Eve
08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Burn Baby Burn.
Shining Light.
Girl From Mars.
Meltdown.
Star-Crossed.

For albums I still think 1977 is a complete master-peice of their work. Free all Angles was a great recovery from the absolute muck that was Nu-Clear sounds, avoid Nu-Clear sounds. And their latest effort Meltdown was very nice, probably the best guitar work on that album from Charolette and Tim.

If you were to get any of those though, definatly 1977 just very nice song writing, you could always get their greatest hits called "Intergallactic sonic 7's" to get a feel for them, I personnaly think the tracklisting wasnt the best choice on that album, its still good though.
Which has Evil Eye? That's the only song I've heard, but I really like it.

mrconeman
08-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Thats off of Meltdown, I suppose that actually would be a pretty good place to start getting into them, very catchy album.

All About Eve
08-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks muchly.

Retard
08-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I bought POWER TO THE PEOPLE AND THE BEATS today, really fucking good cd, only complain(and its pretty little) is that Flava Flav isnt on it more. one of the first songs i heard by them was 911 is a joke. do they just switch off on songs like Tom and Mark would do with Blink182 or is that one of the only songs that Flav did?

other than that kick ass. thanks again guys.

opivy21
08-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Chuck D is the main vocalist. Flava is more like a hype man.

BREAK
08-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Anyone reccomend me some Yes? (Wishfull thinking on here I suppose)

Yours is No Disgrace
Roundabout
Long Distance Runaround
Wondrous Stories
Heart of the Sunrise
I've Seen All Good People
Starship Trooper
And You And I
Don't Kill The Whale (hahahaha)

They're a pretty good band, if you don't mind fruity-ass vocals/lyrics.

This is kinda vague, but can anyone recommend me some Funk

I'm a novice to the genre, but from what I've heard, you might as well get some James Brown, Prince, The Ohio Players, Kool & The Gang, Curtis Mayfield, The Meters and Brothers Johnson. Individual songs from non-funk artists like Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" also kick some ass.

0r4ng3
08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I've recently started to listen to The Bouncing Souls. I already have The Gold Record. What's the next album I should check out?

mrconeman
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks Break.

*downloading spree*

Retard
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I've recently started to listen to The Bouncing Souls. I already have The Gold Record. What's the next album I should check out?

I bought ANCHORS AWAY first but i didnt really start to love them until their Sefl titled. u could go with either, theyre both really good.

but me being me i'd buy the cheaper one first then get the other one next. :D

Rag Doll
08-07-2006, 09:06 PM
The first Minus The Bear cd I got was Menos El Oso...which, if you're more of a cd buyer than a downloader (I am), it'll prolly be the easiest to find.

Apathy
08-07-2006, 11:52 PM

Lots of albums are good.

Hopeless Romantic has 'Kid' and 'Hopeless Romantic'.
Anchors Aweigh has 'Kids and Heroes','Sing Along Forever, and 'Anchors Aweigh'
How I Spent My Summer Vacation has 'That Song', 'Private Radio', ' The Something Special', 'Manthem', and 'Gone'.

HISMSV is their most popular. Kid and Hopeless romantic are my favorite songs out of this bunch, but the rest of Hopeless Romantic isn't as good as the rest of the other two.

I'd get HISMSV.

opivy21
08-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Maniacal Laughter is good too.

08-10-2006, 06:46 AM
with anthrax you should sart with albums among the living,we've come for you all and stomp 442

Short_Attention_Span
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Have any of you heard of the band, Be Your Own Pet? They sound interesting. Recommended downloads?
________
Herbalaire (http://herbalairevaporizer.com/)

0r4ng3
08-16-2006, 10:14 PM
I've been listening to TSOL for a while, but I only have Divided We Stand, Disappear, and Dance With Me. I just need a list of all of their full-length albums, so I know what to get next.

H1T_That
08-18-2006, 05:04 AM
Have any of you heard of the band, Be Your Own Pet? They sound interesting. Recommended downloads?

I'd suggest you don't listen to them.

Kerr
08-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Doe anyone here like Aphex Twin? I have a couple of his (I think it's just a him) singles - Windowlicker and Come to Daddy, and I quite like those songs. I wonder if any other songs by him are good, or even albums, to see if they're worth listening to, and so if anyone can recommend any to me.

Dude From Dudetown
08-22-2006, 06:47 AM
I listened to goldfinger and theyy sound really cool, any suggestions.

Retard
08-22-2006, 09:04 AM
It depends on what songs you've heard, because their sound has changed almost every album.

I started with Open Your Eyes. I love that album. but actually anywhere but the last one they made (Disconnection Notice) is a good place to start.

Dude From Dudetown
08-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I heard that Disconnection Notice was not a very good album, but I want to get Hang-Ups because it has the song Superman, I love that song so much.

08-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Aphex twins song speed racer is good, with goldfinger i suggest superman,spokesman,99 red balloons and chris clayton

Retard
08-23-2006, 06:52 AM
I heard that Disconnection Notice was not a very good album, but I want to get Hang-Ups because it has the song Superman, I love that song so much.

Compared to Goldfingers other albums no it wasn't very good. I still listen to is, and i do enjoy it, but I'd definatly buy it, just buy it last. Hang-Ups is a pretty good place to start. The most ska influenced album, its got some metal tinges here and there, and yes its got Superman. I didnt find out until i had Stomping Ground and Open Your Eyes, that they were the ones who did that.

Hope you like the cd.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Tom Petty, plzkthnx.

jacknife737
08-23-2006, 08:07 PM

I would recommend either the album Hang-Ups (skaish) or Stomping Ground (less ska, more punk).

Edit: They also have a best of, which would be a great start.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Can someone recommend me some Peter Tosh?

Camilamazed
08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Can someone recommend me some Peter Tosh?

Like Reggae things?

XYlophonetreeZ
08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Does he have other things?

Anyway, yeah, reggae. My reggae listening is currently limited to Bob Marley and some of the newer dub-style artists.

0r4ng3
08-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I need TSOL recommendations. I already have Dance With Me, Disappear, and Divided We Stand. What other full albums do they have?

coke_a_holic
08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
What One Cool Guy songs should I check out? Seeing as I love ska music in general, and members of their band became members of one of my favorite bands (Streetlight Manifesto), I'd like to hear them.

Apathy
08-23-2006, 10:48 PM
What One Cool Guy songs should I check out? Seeing as I love ska music in general, and members of their band became members of one of my favorite bands (Streetlight Manifesto), I'd like to hear them.

Bill Kozby and Best Intentions. Those were the only two songs I've heard by them that I found all that good. Lots of people like the song Skank Away as well, but it never really struck me right.

Apathy
08-23-2006, 11:35 PM

If you like the poppy ska-punk songs like Superman, I'd either go with Hang-ups, or The Self Titled. Both are good albums.

If you just like pop-punk, get one of the last two albums. Actually, Even If you like Pop-punk, don't get one of the last two albums. They're awful.

Edit: double post, I know, I know.

coke_a_holic
08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
If you had waited and if I had posted this as fast as I was planning on it, this would've been between the two. One Cool Guy isn't nearly as good as I expected. Not enough horn stuff.

Dude From Dudetown
08-24-2006, 08:04 AM
I heard the song Spokesman, from Open Your Eyes, and I can't decide if its good or not. :(

Does the greatest hits have superman?

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 09:40 AM
All I've heard from Goldfinger is Superman, Spokesman (lolz i play pro sk8r can u tell?), and their cover of 99 Red Balloons (which is fucking AWESOME). Superman's alright. Spokesman fucking sucks.

Dude From Dudetown
08-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah i heard spokesman from thps4, it's catchy but not very good. I heard superman from thps1.

thps4 is an awesome game.

jacknife737
08-24-2006, 11:01 AM
I heard the song Spokesman, from Open Your Eyes, and I can't decide if its good or not. :(

Does the greatest hits have superman?

Yes, it has most of their best songs.

jacknife737
08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
If you just like pop-punk, get one of the last two albums. Actually, Even If you like Pop-punk, don't get one of the last two albums. They're awful.

I think that Open Your Eyes is decent.

Kerr
08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Aphex twins song speed racer is good
I did actually download several random songs anyway due to my impatience to listen to more of their stuff, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am downloading the song now.

Camilamazed
08-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Does anyone here have A time for peace by Stretch arm strong???

I've trying to download it from shareaza but it's pretty tough to get.

:)

All About Eve
08-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Tom Petty, plzkthnx.
Minus The Bear suggestions would be good, too.

0r4ng3
08-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I haven't been a Minus The Bear fan for too long, but I recommend either album. Specifically, Highly Refined Pirates is more melodic and atmospheric. Also, that one has funny song titles.

Thomas
08-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Okay, I've been listening to the radio and the more I hear them, the more I like them. ANyone know what is a good Blue Oyster Cult album?

Rag Doll
08-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Minus The Bear suggestions would be good, too.

josh & jon would prolly be better at this, cause they've listened to them longer...but anyway...

puchaca sunrise
memphis & 53rd
the pig war
hooray
fine + 2 pts
let's play clowns
dog park
monkey!!! knife!!! fight!!!
absinthe party at the fly honey warehouse
let's play guitar in a five guitar band

alex/jesse, if you guys want any mp3s, lemme know. i have almost all their stuff on my computer.

0r4ng3
08-27-2006, 08:14 AM
alex/jesse, if you guys want any mp3s, lemme know. i have almost all their stuff on my computer.
I have all of their stuff, too. Thanks anyway.

I still need TSOL reccomendations. Anyone?

BuddyHolly
08-27-2006, 08:21 AM
For TSOL:

Code Blue
and just check out some Nitro Records compilations

Jakebert
08-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Okay, I've been listening to the radio and the more I hear them, the more I like them. ANyone know what is a good Blue Oyster Cult album?

Agents of Fortune is supposidly their "masterpiece". I think it's just kind of average, but most die hard BOC fans love it.

Thomas
08-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Agents of Fortune is supposidly their "masterpiece". I think it's just kind of average, but most die hard BOC fans love it.
Cool. Thanks. I'll definitely check it out.

Tigger Army
08-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I have all of their stuff, too. Thanks anyway.

I still need TSOL reccomendations. Anyone?

if you want to buy an album your best choice would be Who's screwing who cause it contains every single song they play live.

by now I pretty much own their entire discography, including the rock 'n' roll cds they made without Jack Grisham.

my personal favorites would be:

Superficial love
Abolish the gouvernment/Silent Majority
THoughts of Yesterday
Die for me
Serious

and ofcourse Code Blue is a classic...

coke_a_holic
08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'll definitely check it out.
No! Get Secret Treaties! That album is superpwnage (it's the only one I have, but it's damn awesome), but I hear that Tyranny and Mutation is even better. I'm gonna get that next.

Tigger Army
08-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I need TSOL recommendations. I already have Dance With Me, Disappear, and Divided We Stand. What other full albums do they have?

Depends on what you call TSOL:

These are the albums:

Black EP/Weathered Statues
Dance with me
Beneath the shadows
Change Today
Revenge
Hit & Run
Strange Love
Disappear
Divided we Stand
Who's screwing who

Everything after beneath the shadows and before Disappear is with a different singer and drummer though. Besides that they went from Punk to Rock 'n' Roll in those days.

you probably want the punk work though I personally like the rock stuff a lot aswell (which is kind of a dangerous thing to say on the website of that band:D)

Tigger Army
08-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Someone recommended the two ' Keeper of the 7th key' albums and that's by far the best. If you can ignore the crappy production 'Time of the Oath' would be great aswell. And according to many people I speak with their album 'Rabbit don't come easy' (or something like that) is their first good album in years.

Autonomist
08-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I've recently got into the Manic Street Preachers, and already have and love the album The Holy Bible. Which of their albums should I look into next?

sk8ter-hater
09-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Are Angels and Airwaves any good?

0r4ng3
09-01-2006, 07:44 PM
No, but I downloaded their album anyway.

Shit, I should not have said that out loud. I don't listen to it or anything!

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
A&A are shit, i agree.

jacknife737
09-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Are Angels and Airwaves any good?

Their not that bad. (Although i think i'm the only person on the planet who thinks this way). I'd suggest downloading the album or a few songs, It Hurts, Distraction, and The War are the standout songs.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Sonata Artica, please?

0r4ng3
09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
As far as albums go, they're all good.

If you're looking for specific songs, go with "Wolf and Raven" or "FullMoon".

I'd recommend more, but I haven't been listening to them for too long.

Tigger Army
09-02-2006, 05:49 AM
As far as albums go, they're all good.

If you're looking for specific songs, go with "Wolf and Raven" or "FullMoon".

I'd recommend more, but I haven't been listening to them for too long.

As for albums I'd suggest Silence. The rest is good, but that one is devine. unless you care mostly for the fast stuff then it would be Ecliptica. The live one called Songs of Silence is a nice summary of the first 2 albums.

For songs first a few great fast ones:

Wolf & Raven
FullMoon
The Cage
Respect the Wilderness (but you need japanese cds for that track)
Abandoned, pleased brainwashed, exploited

Slow ones:
Gravenimage (if you don't like that one you probably like nothing slow from Sonata)
Sing in Silence
The end of this chapter

0r4ng3
09-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm considering downloading some Jawbreaker. Where should I start?

Apathy
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Their not that bad.

I'd suggest disregarding that comment.

Jawbreaker are awesome.

If you're just getting into them, I'd say that the 'Dear You' album is probably their most popular, however the hardcore fans seem to hate it.

Hell, you may have even heard the song 'Fireman'. It was relatively popular.

0r4ng3
09-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I was listening to those 30-second clips from last.fm. I think Fireman was one of them.

All About Eve
09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
As for albums I'd suggest Silence. The rest is good, but that one is devine. unless you care mostly for the fast stuff then it would be Ecliptica. The live one called Songs of Silence is a nice summary of the first 2 albums.

For songs first a few great fast ones:

Wolf & Raven
FullMoon
The Cage
Respect the Wilderness (but you need japanese cds for that track)
Abandoned, pleased brainwashed, exploited

Slow ones:
Gravenimage (if you don't like that one you probably like nothing slow from Sonata)
Sing in Silence
The end of this chapter
I completely disagree with Silence. It's their most ballad based album, and is much harder to get into, especially if you're new to the band. Ecliptica or Winterheart's Guild would be the best way to start off.

As far as songs, Fullmoon, The Cage, APBE, and Don't Say a Word are all good for fast songs. For slow songs, I recommend Gravenimage, Replica, Draw Me, and Shamandalie.

Tigger Army
09-08-2006, 11:06 AM
I completely disagree with Silence. It's their most ballad based album,

Yes and probably their most diverse one aswell.
That's why I said that when you go for speed you shouldn't take that one but Ecliptica. Most people I know like Winterheart's guild the least so I didn't even concider promoting that one.

Rag Doll
09-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm far too lazy to see if someone already asked this...if they did, just lemme know.

Goldfrapp.

JohnnyNemesis
09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Sarah LOVES Goldfrapp. Ask her!

Rag Doll
09-08-2006, 04:56 PM
I know she does ;p. She's the one that told me the name of one of their songs in the first place. I want a few opinions though (if, by chance, anyone else listens to them...).

sk8ter-hater
09-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Is Tsunami Bomb any good?
I saw them in last year's warped tour, but I only caught one song. I thought it was pretty good. Or maybe it was the lead singer who caught my attention. Anyway, what does everyone think of them?

Tigger Army
09-09-2006, 12:07 AM
I saw them in last year's warped tour, but I only caught one song. I thought it was pretty good. Or maybe it was the lead singer who caught my attention. Anyway, what does everyone think of them?

mediocre. Their first EP was great but the album was kind of disappointing (imo). I'd suggest the song ...not forever.

All About Eve
09-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Yes and probably their most diverse one aswell.
That's why I said that when you go for speed you shouldn't take that one but Ecliptica. Most people I know like Winterheart's guild the least so I didn't even concider promoting that one.
Depending on my mood, I like it more than Silence at time. But either way, I'm saying the songs that I've had the best success with in the past. No one I know has liked Silence the best right off.

Endymion
09-09-2006, 08:59 AM
mediocre. Their first EP was great but the album was kind of disappointing (imo). I'd suggest the song ...not forever.

correction: their first TWO eps were very good. mayhem on the high seas in particular.

HeadAroundU
09-09-2006, 09:19 AM
They are good and catchy. Lead singer is hot.

I suggest to download 2 albums, "The Invasion From Within" and "The Ultimate Escape".
Outstanding songs:
Swimming Through Molasses (the ultimate escape)
... Not Forever (the invasion from within)

Tigger Army
09-09-2006, 01:31 PM
No one I know has liked Silence the best right off.

It's time to meet: ME! ;)

correction: their first TWO eps were very good. mayhem on the high seas in particular.
ah yes I forgot mayhem...

0r4ng3
09-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned Reckoning Night. At all. What's the general opinion about that album?

All About Eve
09-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned Reckoning Night. At all. What's the general opinion about that album?
It's my favorite. Don't Say a Word is off that one, one of the fast ones i mentioned aboce. As is Shamadalie, one of the slow ones.

It's time to meet: ME! ;)

The ratio is still rather one sided towards doing better with other albums first.

Tigger Army
09-09-2006, 03:31 PM

not as good as the previous ones in my opinion. it's okay but not brilliant.

All About Eve
09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Not brilliant? It's easily the most consistent, not to mention has songs like Blinded no More and White Pearl, Black Oceans.

Tigger Army
09-10-2006, 01:13 AM
yes and now tell me about the good parts...? It's easily their most boring cd really

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I didn't know where to put this so I thought I'd post here. I want to get one or two more albums and I have these in mind, but I don't know which one or two to choose. I chose these albums because I have a couple MP3s from each CD.

Machine Gun Etiquette- The Damned
Time Is The Distance- Deviates
Danse Macabre- The Faint
Just Joined- Jughead's Revenge
To The Nines- Only Crime

WebDudette
09-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Whats a good place to start with Billy Talent?

0r4ng3
09-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Anything. Anything at all.

But seriously, album-wise, either one's a good place to start.

dysLEXIa
09-15-2006, 10:07 PM
*sounding completely idiotic*

Besides Smash, Americana, Conspiracy of One and The Greatest Hits, where's a good start for The Offspring? When I get some cash, I want to head to Virgin Records and pick up another one of their CDs. I've heard Ignition is a good place, but what do you guys think?

Tigger Army
09-16-2006, 05:11 AM
you already have most crap by them so unless you were planning on buying Splinter next you can't go wrong

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Whats a good place to start with Billy Talent?

Anything. Anything at all.

But seriously, album-wise, either one's a good place to start.

Well except for maybe Pezz. Billy Talent II is the better album, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Billy Talent. He's right, it is your choice. Billy Talent is more fast-paced and has a lot more yells from the lead singer. Billy Talent II is just pure unbelieveably great music.

Yatesy
09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm far too lazy to see if someone already asked this...if they did, just lemme know.

Goldfrapp.

They only have 3 albums and probably the best album to start off with is Supernatural as it's sort of the more catchier album than the other 2. Black Cherry is more experimental and Felt Mountain is more of a chill out album, very different than the other 2 albums.

jacknife737
09-18-2006, 07:18 PM
*sounding completely idiotic*

Besides Smash, Americana, Conspiracy of One and The Greatest Hits, where's a good start for The Offspring? When I get some cash, I want to head to Virgin Records and pick up another one of their CDs. I've heard Ignition is a good place, but what do you guys think?

Ignition for sure. Or Ixnay is another one that you could consider.

GBH2
09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
where do i start...

velvet underground?

BREAK
09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Get The Velvet Underground & Nico. It's the one with a big banana on the cover and everyone likes it best. Only weird people care about anything they did after that one.

GBH2
09-29-2006, 03:57 PM
recommend me some Joy Division. I have the songs "warsaw" and "interzone" and i am looking fr some songs like them; faster, and where the singer sounds edgier.

0r4ng3
09-29-2006, 08:49 PM
I was thinking of downloading some Pezz. By that I mean the American Pezz, not the "later known as Billy Talent" Pezz. Has anyone heard anything about them? Are they any good?

0r4ng3
10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok, you all know my taste in music, and what bands I listen to, right? Well, you're all going to recommend a new band for me to listen to, and justify your choice. I'm doing this because I don't know what to listen to next.

opivy21
10-06-2006, 04:34 AM
Listen to Richard Hell and The Voidoids, The New York Dolls, and Radio Birdman. Because they're good.

BREAK
10-06-2006, 12:27 PM
recommend me some Joy Division. I have the songs "warsaw" and "interzone" and i am looking fr some songs like them; faster, and where the singer sounds edgier.

Transmission
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Dead Souls
Failures
Glass
From Safety to Where
Novelty
These Days
Digital

Ok, you all know my taste in music, and what bands I listen to, right? Well, you're all going to recommend a new band for me to listen to, and justify your choice. I'm doing this because I don't know what to listen to next.

Mission of Burma
Wire
Television
Stereolab
Cave In
The Blood Brothers
Spoon
Botch
Air Miami
Dinosaur Jr
Otis Redding

C'mon, let me get some of your answers in the "Play" thread, u fucker. :mad:

0r4ng3
10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I've heard some stuff about The Blood Brothers. I'll consider checking them out. Where do I start?

Edit: Oh, and also, what do they sound like?

Edit 2 - Electric Boogaloo:
C'mon, let me get some of your answers in the "Play" thread, u fucker. :mad:Oh, that reminds me. *bumps "Play" thread*

I don't know
10-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I wanted to download some propagandhi stuff. where do I start?

WebDudette
10-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Techno ?

coke_a_holic
10-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I've heard some stuff about The Blood Brothers. I'll consider checking them out. Where do I start?

Ambulance vs. Ambulance and Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck.

If we tell you what they sound like, you won't want to hear it. Let your intrigue guide you the rest of the way to the music.

0r4ng3
10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm a few songs into "The Adultery is Ripe", and from what I gather, they are indeed awesome.

Edit: Hmm, lots of screaming. I'll learn to get past that.

Rag Doll
10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Edit 2 - Electric Boogaloo

*hearts*

uh. i'm too lazy to look through this whole thread to see if this was asked. but i heard something by head automatica that i liked. what else should i listen to by them?

Nina
10-10-2006, 04:37 AM
[Angles & Airwaves]
I'd suggest downloading the album or a few songs, It Hurts, Distraction, and The War are the standout songs.

Thanks. I was going to ask but I feared someone would beat me up.

Soulfly
Thrice
KMFDM

:]

Nina
10-10-2006, 05:13 AM
our lady peace

In Repair
Waited
Thief
Is Anybody Home?
Starseed
One Man Army

Yatesy
10-10-2006, 07:19 AM
uh. i'm too lazy to look through this whole thread to see if this was asked. but i heard something by head automatica that i liked. what else should i listen to by them?

From Decadence:
At The Speed of A Yellow Bullet
Please Please Please
Disco Hades II

From Popaganda:
Lying Through Your Teeth
Curious
God

Rag Doll
10-10-2006, 07:37 AM
thanks =D

i'll check them out when i come home from work tonight

0r4ng3
10-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Ok, I have all of the Blood Brothers albums now. What band should I look into next?

sk8ter-hater
10-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Sparta.

Everywhere.

NMHFBD
10-15-2006, 03:59 AM
tell me please if MxPx is worth getting into?

0r4ng3
10-15-2006, 09:02 AM
No, not really. I actually bought all of their CDs last year, but I got bored of them fast. Just stick to blink 182 or Green Day, if that's your kind of music.

NMHFBD
10-15-2006, 10:41 AM
No, not really. I actually bought all of their CDs last year, but I got bored of them fast. Just stick to blink 182 or Green Day, if that's your kind of music.

I listened to some of their stuff and it reminded me of blink 182,not impressive i must say, too soft... thanks for advice anyway.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Thursday, I'm going to see them live, so I might as well make an attempt to get into their music.

78 Water
10-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Alkaline Trio. Any tips?

All About Eve
10-15-2006, 05:31 PM
From Here to Infirmary is easily their best album; most of their later stuff is better than the older as a general rule as well.

That_Guy91
10-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Yo.

Yo.

I need some Suicidal Tendencies.

Anyone?

78 Water
10-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I suggest starting with thier Self-Titled. If you like INstitutionaliz, then you'll probably like it.

By the way, thank you All About Eve, I'll be sure to check it out.

Apathy
10-15-2006, 06:18 PM
I've had Let's Talk About feelings by Lagwagon for a few years, and I still love it beyond belief.

Do they have any other albums that sound somewhat identical to it?

coke_a_holic
10-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Specifically at Thomas, but anyone else who listens to jazz can answer:

Max Roach plzthx? I've heard single songs (which I don't remember the names of), but I rather enjoy him, his drumming, and his band.

opivy21
10-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Yo.

Yo.

I need some Suicidal Tendencies.

Anyone?
It depends what you're in to. Their most "punk" cd is their self-titled and everything after that veers off into cheesy crossover metal. I like a few songs off their first one, but not much after it.

As for Lagwagon, I haven't heard that album so I don't know what it sounds like, but I have Trashed and I would definitely recommend it.

jacknife737
10-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Alkaline Trio. Any tips?

I'd start off with Good Mourning, but From Here to Infirmary, and Goddamit are also great starts as well.

jacknife737
10-15-2006, 06:40 PM
tell me please if MxPx is worth getting into?

Their last cd Panic, is at least worth downloading.

0r4ng3
10-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh, right, Panic is the only good one. I forgot about that one.

Edit: Seriously, though, I need a new band. I'm going through download-withdrawl.

Here (http://www.last.fm/user/dark_arch0n/)is my audioscrobbler. Someone figure out what band I should be listening to.

opivy21
10-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Oh, right, Panic is the only good one. I forgot about that one.

Edit: Seriously, though, I need a new band. I'm going through download-withdrawl.

Here (http://www.last.fm/user/dark_arch0n/)is my audioscrobbler. Someone figure out what band I should be listening to.
Agent Orange
Dictators
Big Boys
The Stooges
Giant Haystacks
The Jam
New York Dolls
Radio Birdman
X
Urinals
Television
Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Take your pick. Seriously you've got to like at least one of those bands no matter what kind of music you prefer, and since you like T.S.O.L., some of these should be right up your alley.

0r4ng3
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
All right, I'll check out some of those bands. Though, I should have mentioned I have a slight preference to bands that are still around. I'll still listen to bands that broke up a while ago, just not that much.

opivy21
10-16-2006, 04:34 AM
Giant Haystacks formed in 99' I think, so they're current, and at least four of the other bands still tour.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-16-2006, 03:36 PM

Riverboat Gamblers are one of my favorite bands of all-time. Check out Something To Crow About and To The Confusion of Our Enemies.

The Lawrence Arms are very good. My favorite album is Apathy and Exhaustion.

--
Thursday? Anyone? Are they that bad?

WebDudette
10-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Can anyone reccomend some bands that sound like At the Drive-In's "Relationship of Command".

mrconeman
10-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Bruce Springsteen. I've loved Born in the USA, and Born to Run all of my life, and I watched a live show of his on DVD from that era just the other day, it was awesome.

Can anyone recommend songs to download in the same vein as those songs...I hear his recent stuff is very downbeat and pretty bad..tell me If I've heard wrong of course.

0r4ng3
10-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I'll be more specific this time: Power metal. Any good bands? I already listen to Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica.

BREAK
10-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Sparta.

Everywhere.

Have about 1 or 2 good songs per album, don't even bother.

A lot of their songs are really good, but you might find their vocal style so annoying that your dick will fall off and try to run up the nearest ass for safety.

Can anyone reccomend some bands that sound like At the Drive-In's "Relationship of Command".

Fugazi
Rites of Spring
Bear vs. Shark
Read Yellow
Q And Not U
Clair De Lune
Refused
Drive Like Jehu
The Blood Brothers
Vaux
Cap'n Jazz
and The Mars Fucking Volta.

Most of these bands actually sound like something else most of the time, and a lot of them predate ATDI (and were thus influential on them), but you get the idea.

Yatesy
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
I'll be more specific this time: Power metal. Any good bands? I already listen to Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica.

Old Nightwish is power metal. Also I'd get some Helloween too.

0r4ng3
10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Ok, I'll try Helloween. Where do I start with Helloween?

Yatesy
10-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Umm well I only have one album called Better Than Raw which is pretty good.

WebDudette
10-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Fugazi
Rites of Spring
Bear vs. Shark
Read Yellow
Q And Not U
Clair De Lune
Refused
Drive Like Jehu
The Blood Brothers
Vaux
Cap'n Jazz
and The Mars Fucking Volta.

Most of these bands actually sound like something else most of the time, and a lot of them predate ATDI (and were thus influential on them), but you get the idea.

I listen to alot of The Mars Volta and alot of The Blood Brothers already so if any of those bands are like these I will probably like them. Thanks.

Thomas
10-18-2006, 08:48 PM
So I decided that I really like Lit. Somebody tell me album to get first.

Tigger Army
10-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Dark Moor
Stratovarius
Thunderstone
Gamma Ray
Therion
Symphorce
Edenbridge

That's it for now.

Ok, I'll try Helloween. Where do I start with Helloween?

with one of the two 'Keeper of the seven keys'-albums.

offspring dude
10-19-2006, 09:04 AM
so ive started to get into Bad Religion quite a lot now, but i dont have any of their albums, and there is so many, so where do i start?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
so ive started to get into Bad Religion quite a lot now, but i dont have any of their albums, and there is so many, so where do i start?

I started with Stranger Than Fiction and The Empire Strikes First, which weren't bad selections at all. Get both if you have the chance.

Edit: Yeah, you can't go wrong with Suffer, either.

offspring dude
10-19-2006, 10:06 AM
I started with Stranger Than Fiction and The Empire Strikes First, which weren't bad selections at all. Get both if you have the chance.

Thanx dude!:D ill try to buy them, i have enough money i think

Tigger Army
10-19-2006, 11:31 AM

I personally severely HATE stranger than fiction. I'd go for the grey race and/or generator

0r4ng3
10-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I'd also go for early stuff, especially Suffer or Against the Grain.

All About Eve
10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Those were the exact two I started out with, in that order. I think both are great, but it's not my type of music generally.

"The Handshake" off of Stranger Than Fiction is a totally awesome song, however.

opivy21
10-19-2006, 04:12 PM
I say go for Suffer.

sk8ter-hater
10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Have about 1 or 2 good songs per album, don't even bother.

nononono. I meant to recommend it to 0r4ng3, but he wanted the power metal stuff.
Actually, I love the band, I think they're pretty good. But it's nice to know that some people don't like 'em.

Tigger Army
10-21-2006, 12:13 AM

oops, I thought that was part of your sign.

In thursday's case I'd recommend
Dying in New Brunswick
Winding-Up
Autobiography of a Nation
Paris in Flames
War all the Time

Break has a point about the vocals though

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-22-2006, 11:26 AM
oops, I thought that was part of your sign.

In thursday's case I'd recommend
Dying in New Brunswick
Winding-Up
Autobiography of a Nation
Paris in Flames
War all the Time

Break has a point about the vocals though

Thanks. I know what to expect from the vocals too. I'll edit this post later with what I liked.

Edit: The songs from Full Collapse ended up being my favorites.

Demon_of_Debauchery
10-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I've heard Bloodstains and can someone recommend me some more good songs by Agent Orange?

Original prankstA
10-22-2006, 11:58 AM
ino most of you must hate me because i don't listen to these guys but, TSOL.
suggestions?

Tigger Army
10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
ino most of you must hate me because i don't listen to these guys but, TSOL.
suggestions?

I don't hate you, cause you obviously WANT to hear good music but haven't been exposed to it yet. So let me help you.

TSOL:

Thoughts of Yesterday
Weathered Statues
Abolish the gouvernment/Silent Majority
Superficial Love
Sounds of Laughter
Die for me
Serious
Sedatives
Code Blue

0r4ng3
10-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I've heard Bloodstains and can someone recommend me some more good songs by Agent Orange?
I think that's their only good song. Can someone confirm this?

opivy21
10-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I think that's their only good song. Can someone confirm this?
I disagree. Living In Darkness is a very good record, and Bloodstains is definitely not the only good song.

Apathy
10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Mustard Plug

Please and thank you.

Original prankstA
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Mustard Plug:
You
Go
Mr. Smiley
Skank by Numbers
Beer (song)
Box
Mendoza
Miss Michigan
Jerry
Suburban Homesick Blues

actually there isn't a song i don't like by these guys but I gave you a good starting line up.

Apathy
10-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Beer?

Is that by chance a Reel Big Fish Cover? Or the other way around perhaps?

78 Water
10-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Bloc Party

You know what to do.

Apathy
10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
My advice is to stay away.

78 Water
10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Really? I heard the song Like Eating Glass and thought it sounded okay.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Bloc Party

You know what to do.

I like Bloc Party. The only reason they aren't a guilty pleasure of mine, is because I don't feel guilty about it. Anyway, my favorite songs are:

Luno
Helicopter
Blue Light Remix
Banquet
This Modern Love
Like Eating Glass
Banquet Remix

78 Water
10-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks man. I also heard this other band called from autumn to ashes and think they are cool. The song was called let's have a war or something? Any suggestions?

Original prankstA
10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Beer?

ummmmm.. im not sure, quite possibly

Apathy
10-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks man. I also heard this other band called from autumn to ashes and think they are cool. The song was called let's have a war or something? Any suggestions?

This I can help you on.

That song is a cover, originally done by the band Fear, who were a punk band from the 80's.

If you like that song in particular, then I suggest you look into them instead of From Autumn to Ashes, who sound more like a stereotypical screamo band If I do say so myself.

78 Water
10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks, but is Fear like a not scremer guy? I don't like that stuff, but the song is ultimelety cathy.

coke_a_holic
10-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Fear was a punk band out of California who's songs almost all revolve around alcohol. They're enjoyable. They have a track on the second Tony Hawk Underground game... but I don't remember which song it is.

0r4ng3
10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Would you...have a beer with Fear?

http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/comics/20051010.jpg

opivy21
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
That's a good strip. But really, Fear are good and their first record, "The Record" is solid. Plus, to my knowledge their are no songs about beer on it.

DeAtHsTaR
10-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Beer?

Nope.. .

Tigger Army
10-25-2006, 03:46 AM

I only have their first (brilliant) CD (Too bad you're beautiful) but I barely know the last two CDs (which are said to be rather different from that one).

if you're still interested in my opinion though I'd go for these songs:
Short stories with Tragic Ending
Chloroform Perfume
Reflections

All About Eve
10-25-2006, 08:36 AM
"Wouldn't Last a Day" is my favorite song. They did a newer version with the same vocalist but two new guitarists, and the solo's a lot more interesting. Virtually Indestructable is a good album, just kind of monotonous at times.

Nina
11-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Inspired by the "Rate our Taste" thread:

I need songs from

Streetlight Manifesto
Collective Soul
Pulley
Turbonegro
Sonata Arctica
Deviates
Big D and the Kids Table
Damone
Jughead's Revenge
The B-52's
Descendents
Queens of the Stone Age
Van Halen
Better Than Ezra
Television
Patty Smith Group
CCR
The Toasters

and these are only from the first page :( Can you guess why I havent played in the game? ANY song mentioned would be appriciated. I will download.

Yatesy
11-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Queens of the Stone Age - s/t album:
-How to Handle a Rope
-Avon
-If Only
-Regular John
-Mexicola

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R:
-Feel Good Hit Of The Summer
-The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret
-Monsters In The Parasol

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf:
-No-One Knows
-Song for the Dead
-Go With The Flow
-God Is In The Radio
-Song For The Deaf

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze:
-Burn The Witch
-Someones in the Wolf
-Everybody Knows That You Are Insane
-Little Sister
-Long Slow Goodbye

Those are just the best tracks off each album, I'll upload some if you want. The best album is the self titled album and worst is probably Rated R. Hope that helps.

Nina
11-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Helps a LOT. I will try to download all of this but I am sure SoulSeek doesnt have it all. I'll get back to you through PM and ask for a couple uploads if that's okay :]

Yatesy
11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah sure, WMA files ok?

opivy21
11-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Inspired by the "Rate our Taste" thread:

I need songs from

Streetlight Manifesto
Collective Soul
Pulley
Turbonegro
Sonata Arctica
Deviates
Big D and the Kids Table
Damone
Jughead's Revenge
The B-52's
Descendents
Queens of the Stone Age
Van Halen
Better Than Ezra
Television
Patty Smith Group
CCR
The Toasters

and these are only from the first page :( Can you guess why I havent played in the game? ANY song mentioned would be appriciated. I will download.
Descendents - Hope, Myage, 'Merican, This Place, I'm The One.

Television - Marquee Moon, Little Johnny Jewel, Friction, Venus.

Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Fortunate Son, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Up Around The Bend, Green River, Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary, Down On The Corner, I Put A Spell On You.

78 Water
11-05-2006, 03:06 PM
In all seriousness, The Offspring. Which albums should I start with first?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Deviates
They only released two albums, and I love Time Is The Distance. Best tracks on it are Turn It Down, One In Ten, Time Is The Distance, No Mistake, and So I Become.

Streetlight Manifesto

Favorite tracks are "Everything Went Numb", "That'll Be The Day", "Point/Counterpoint", "A Better Place, A Better Time", and "We Are The Few".

Jughead's Revenge
This is tough, because there is some stuff I don't like, and some I really, really like. To name a few, "Sleepwalking", "The Message", and the cover for "Talk Dirty To Me" are pretty good.

Queens of the Stone Age
Yatesy covered this so perfectly. There isn't a single flaw in his suggestions.

Van Halen

Favorite songs are "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love", "...And The Cradle Will Rock", "Unchained", and "Panama".

0r4ng3
11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Both Self Titled and Conspiracy of One. They're both completely different, so you have a good range of their sound.

jacknife737
11-05-2006, 04:38 PM

Ignition and Americana

Yatesy
11-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Yatesy covered this so perfectly. There isn't a single flaw in his suggestions.

Ediited fo the truth, yo.

Nina
11-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Queens of the Stone Age - s/t album:
-Avon
-If Only

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R:
-Feel Good Hit Of The Summer

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf:
-Song for the Dead
-Song For The Deaf

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze:
-Burn The Witch
-Everybody Knows That You Are Insane

Descendents - Hope, Myage, This Place, I'm The One.

Television - Marquee Moon, Little Johnny Jewel, Friction, Venus.

Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Fortunate Son, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Green River, Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary, Down On The Corner

Thanks very much to both of you, the quoted have been downloaded.
What I have realized is that all CCR fans have a fast connection. much <3.

& now I gotta download more.

But people, there are tons more bands listed. Help a bored person out!

Nina
11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Deviates - couldnt find anything by them. wtf. can someone upload a song or two for me?

Streetlight Manifesto & Jughead's Revenge - also nothing....still searching :[

However I found Van Halen...which I am not surprised about. Thanks to you, too. Just wish I would have found something...anything. grr.

Apathy
11-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Where have you been looking?

Streetlight Manifesto are a very popular band, I'm surprised you couldn't find anything.

Here's a few fan-created myspaces that had songs up, just for a feel.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=123556053 - Everything Went Numb
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=123666927 - Here's To Life
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=123669549 - The Saddest Song
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=123814400 - Keasby Nights
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=124554577 - A Better Place a better time, Point/Counterpoint, We Are the Few

That last ones probably the best.

Nina
11-06-2006, 02:58 PM
SoulSeek :/ Yeah yeah I know..
I'll go through the links now, thanks :]

Endymion
11-06-2006, 11:14 PM
SoulSeek :/ Yeah yeah I know..
I'll go through the links now, thanks :]

what's wrong with your setup? that shit should be all over soulseek.

Nina
11-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I made no setup modifications. I use it the way it was when I downloaded it.