PDA

View Full Version : Need a good guitar recording program.

0r4ng3
08-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Preferably one that only requires a computer microphone to record. Also, if the program enables you to add a drum track with your recording, that's a plus.

Can someone recommend a good program?

mrconeman
08-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Audacity.

I use it, its pretty tasty it is. It lets you multi-track your guitars to play rythym and lead, or double track your leads and such, you can add drum tracks so long as you already have them saved.
Sorry about being lazy and not searching the link for you, but I'm sure the first result in google will be the link to download it.

Another small point to avoid confusion is that when you're multi-tracking you record the first track, and when you start adding the next layer the first layer you recorded plays so you stay in time, it makes things very easy to do.

Highly reccomended and that.

0r4ng3
08-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks, I'll look for it.

Actually, a friend of mine recommended Audacity to me a month or so ago, but I forgot what it was called, so I never got the chance to look for it.

NDM1
08-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree with mrconeman, if you're looking for free programs. If your willing to pay a little, or use limewire, I would suggest Cakewalk Guitar Pro. It has a lot of options and you can import audio (drum tracks) if you already have them. Audicity is pretty good tho.

neocon58
08-05-2006, 12:07 AM
I roll with Cubase and a Lexicon Omega.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505&src=3SOSWXXA

MuddahFukkah
08-05-2006, 05:31 AM
Preferably one that only requires a computer microphone to record. Also, if the program enables you to add a drum track with your recording, that's a plus.

Can someone recommend a good program?
PERFECT THREAD!!!... :D

barangatang
08-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I like audacity too, but it doesn't have cache of drumbeats to use behind a recording. For stuff like that I'd check out a program called trackiton. Too bad you don't have a mac or it would've came with garageband.

mrconeman
08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
If you're looking to cover known songs check www.guitarbt.com for the backing tracks, I love that place.

If you're doing originals and wanting to program drums, you can use fruityloops or something, but I'm really bad at doing drums so I really dunno many programs for that.

Homer
08-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Make sure you get the full version of Fruity Loops from a torrent site (www.torrentspy.com) if you're going to use that for the drums, because with just the demo version, you can't save the files. Although, I guess since you have a microphone you could just record it off the speakers...

neocon58
08-05-2006, 08:27 PM
You could use audacity to record the loops via the Stereo Mix record option.

I use Fruity Loops for my drums and they come out pretty nice,

mrconeman
08-05-2006, 08:28 PM
You could use audacity to record the loops via the Stereo Mix record option.

I use Fruity Loops for my drums and they come out pretty nice,
Hey, you wouldn't happen to be able to hook me up with a guide for creating drums in FL would ya?
Specifically Rock/Metal would be nice, anything that has the sound of a real drumkit really.

neocon58
08-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Umm, I dunno of any real guides or anything, not that I ever looked. I dicked around with the program for a long time, experimented etc. I end up making all the different loops I need for my song, saving them seperately and then placing them into cool edit pro (adobe audition) and editing them together, looping wherever necessary, then I save it all as one drum track, shove that into cubase and fire away. (I'm sure there's an easier way built into either FL or Cubase, but I'm too n00bish to find it).

Here's how the loops sound. This is a little sample from what is basically a soft-cock rock project I'm doin with a friend. I'm playing bass, guitars and programming the drums.

The only thing with Fruity Loops is the ride cymbal sounds a bit gay.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=996ABB9122A60FF3