PDA

View Full Version : Learn me some good fun bass lines.

DeAtHsTaR
08-05-2006, 05:29 PM
What are some fun easy to moderate bass lines to play? I'm getting sick of always playign the same ones when I'm practicing so.... hook a brotha up?

mrconeman
08-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Reccomend some musical genres that you're into, some bands too.

Off the bat I'll tell you that my favourite bassline is in a Pink Floyd song by the name of Money, its really quite easy.

Apathy
08-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Here's warning, the songs in no way represent my music taste. In fact, I hate many of these bands(Some I like). However the basslines are fun/interesting/easy. Another warning, some of these songs are amazingly easy. Pathetically easy. A few are challenging, but not many. The Primus one is difficult if you're still learning to slap. Mario Bros only sounds good with usage of the pinky, which I know many people have trouble with.

Cky - 96 Quite Bitter Beings
Green Day - Longview
The Mario Bros theme song.
Pink Floyd - Money
AFI - Miss Murder
Big D and The Kids Table - 51 Gardner
The Suicide Machines - No Face
Blink182 - Carousel
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Offspring - WDYGAJ
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression that I get
Nofx - Idiots are Taking Over
The Beatles - Day Tripper
Jimi Hendrix - Fire
Primus - American Life

While I'm at it- If you have any tabs for Big D and the Kids Table or I voted for kodos, I need them.

DeAtHsTaR
08-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Reccomend some musical genres that you're into, some bands too.

Off the bat I'll tell you that my favourite bassline is in a Pink Floyd song by the name of Money, its really quite easy.
EVERYONE SAYS MONEY!

haha, I'm into punk and metal stuff mostly, I love ska, but most ska bass lines are hard as hell.

Also, I like Nirvana's bass lines, as they're pretty simple but insanely fun to play. Which ones should I learn?? I know Sliver, Teen Spirit, and Lithium right now.... Love Buzz sounds good.

mrconeman
08-05-2006, 06:46 PM
EVERYONE SAYS MONEY!

Haha I'll bet they do.

I'm into punk and metal stuff mostly, I love ska, but most ska bass lines are hard as hell.
I dunno about reccomending punk basslines, I'm not a big fan really, but alot of Dead Kennedys basslines sound pretty great to me, California Uber Alles is great.
For metal two words, Iron Maiden. I understand from a few bassist friends of mine that some of Steve Harris's bass finger picking is quite hard to do, but if you can the bass in the song Clairvoyant is brilliant.

DeAtHsTaR
08-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Haha I'll bet they do.

I dunno about reccomending punk basslines, I'm not a big fan really, but alot of Dead Kennedys basslines sound pretty great to me, California Uber Alles is great.
For metal two words, Iron Maiden. I understand from a few bassist friends of mine that some of Steve Harris's bass finger picking is quite hard to do, but if you can the bass in the song Clairvoyant is brilliant.
Well I'm a pick player... I can play with my fingers too but I hate it.

DeAtHsTaR
08-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Crap, I have a week to get way better than I am, I'm trying out for another band and this one isn't just having me by default.

Original prankstA
08-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Less than jake -Last one out of libertiy city
is one i know is pretty easy and also pretty sweet

Apathy
08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Crap, I have a week to get way better than I am, I'm trying out for another band and this one isn't just having me by default.

I suggest you learn to play with your fingers if you want to get much better than you already are. Using a pick is alright, but you have to be very skilled to make it sound good. Ska songs are easier to play with fingers.

Love buzz is incredibly easy by the way. From what I remember it's just

G:----------7h8-----
D:-8--6-88-----8---

NachoS_Ixnay
08-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Nonono, at least I play it in another way, and I know it's the right way

G:----------7h9p7-
D:-8--6-8-9-------
A:-----------------
E:-----------------

DeAtHsTaR
08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I suggest you learn to play with your fingers if you want to get much better than you already are. Using a pick is alright, but you have to be very skilled to make it sound good. Ska songs are easier to play with fingers.

Well they're not a ska band, but I know what you mean. And refresh me what "h" on a tab means? It's been a while since I looked up any tabs that had anything other than slides.

Little_Miss_1565
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Mario Bros only sounds good with usage of the pinky, which I know many people have trouble with.

Once I stopped trying to resist using my pinky playing disco lines involving a lot of octaves on my bass, my playing improved like a zillion percent. Embrace the pinky, y'all.

mrconeman
08-07-2006, 08:48 PM
H is hammer on, you hit the first fret, in this case the 7th, hammer on with another finger to the 9th, without plucking the string again. (I'm sure you know what it meant, just forgotten its tab representation, but just incase)
And P is pulloff, just the opposite.

EDIT: Yer, using the pinky is proper technique, if you use it, you will become
A. Used to it.
B. A better player.

DeAtHsTaR
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
H is hammer on, you hit the first fret, in this case the 7th, hammer on with another finger to the 9th, without plucking the string again. (I'm sure you know what it meant, just forgotten its tab representation, but just incase)
And P is pulloff, just the opposite.

EDIT: Yer, using the pinky is proper technique, if you use it, you will become
A. Used to it.
B. A better player.
Oh okay! Last time I read a tab with a hammer on, it was Bad Habit, and it was 7 months ago. Haha I forget stuff. I'll work on using my fingers, but what I would love to do is what Matt Freeman (I think) does. He uses pick and fingers at the same time.

Apathy
08-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Well they're not a ska band, but I know what you mean.

... I didn't.. mention any band in the post.
Unless you mean the Nirvana tab I gave you, but it's kind of obvious that they aren't ska.

Another easy Song

Wailing Paddle - The Rudiments (I think Big D has a cover as well)

A song I haven't actually tried to play is the Walking Away Intro by Streetlight Manifesto. The Catch 22 version is a little different, but they both sound somewhat difficult.

Nonono, at least I play it in another way, and I know it's the right way

I disagree.

DeAtHsTaR
08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
... I didn't.. mention any band in the post.
Unless you mean the Nirvana tab I gave you, but it's kind of obvious that they aren't ska.

Another easy Song

Wailing Paddle - The Rudiments (I think Big D has a cover as well)

A song I haven't actually tried to play is the Walking Away Intro by Streetlight Manifesto. The Catch 22 version is a little different, but they both sound somewhat difficult.

I disagree.

I was talking about the band I'm joining.

Yeah, I was listening in wonder to Walking Away earlier and thinking "Whoa, how does he do it?"

G----10---7---------------7----------|--------------10~7~-------------
D--8----8---8-10-7---7-10---10-7-----|--------5-6-8------8------------
A------------------8-------------8-6-|--5-6-8--------------6---6-6-6-6
E------------------------------------|-6---------------------6--------

Doesn't look too hard but it is.

wazzup22
08-08-2006, 05:12 AM
You should learn the Bass riff for Hysteria by Muse, it's good when you get it right.

Pretty_Fly
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
i recommend listening to rancid... or like red hot chili peppers

DeAtHsTaR
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
i recommend listening to rancid... or like red hot chili peppers
I listen to both of those bands,,,, both bassists kick ass.

_JJB
08-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I think Offspring's I Choose should be good song.

Apathy
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Problem with it is that it's so low in the mix, so using tabs, It'll be hard to hear to figure out the beat.

If you had sheet music, it'd be another story.

barangatang
08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Big D and The Kids Table - 51 Gardner

I'd totally buy a bass just so I could play that bassline. I love it to death.

Oh yeah and deathstar... Royal Oil by the mighty mighty bosstones has an awesome bassline. I'm pretty sure it's really easy too.

_JJB
08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey DeAtHsTaR, I recorded for you I Choose bass line. I know, that's not played so good, but i'm very tired now and I was recording it playing with original song.

Download -> http://jjb.aspweb.cz/others/I_Choose_Bass.mp3
Correct Tab -> http://jjb.aspweb.cz/others/I_Choose_Bass_Tab.txt

Enjoy!

Apathy
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have a tab for Point/Counterpoint?

I lost the one I had printed out from mxtabs, and now they're defunct and no one else has it that I know of.

Anyone still have one, or can find one?

NachoS_Ixnay
08-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Does anyone have a tab for Point/Counterpoint?

I lost the one I had printed out from mxtabs, and now they're defunct and no one else has it that I know of.

Anyone still have one, or can find one?
A tab for what?????

Apathy
08-16-2006, 07:11 PM
A tab for what?????

As I said - Point/Counterpoint.

If you had it, I'd assume you'd know what band it's by, but it's by Streetlight Manifesto if you feel like looking.

T-6005
08-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Learn to use the word learn, retard.

DeAtHsTaR
08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Learn to use the word learn, retard.
God you're a fucking idiot. It's called joking around. No shit it's supposed to be "teach", mongoloid.

_JJB
08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey DeAtHsTaR, do you learn I Choose bass line?