PDA

View Full Version : Any good metal bands?

suicide_thoughts
08-06-2006, 10:54 PM
I know some metal bands but not many. Can someone put up some names of good metal bands?

0r4ng3
08-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Dragonforce.

All About Eve
08-06-2006, 11:00 PM
DragonForce, Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Queensryche, Judas Priest, Hammerfall, Nightwish, and Saxon are some good ones.

bd007h
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Protest the Hero, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, Dream Theatre, Old Metallica.

jacknife737
08-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Protest the Hero,

I wouldn't really consider that band to be 'metal'.

Edit: The only metal band that i listen to is Metallica, so i would suggest them.

bd007h
08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
what would you consider them then?

DeAtHsTaR
08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Pretty much all the bands listed so far, and Testament. Megadeth also.

Professor Chaos
08-06-2006, 11:48 PM
God Forbid.

RickyCrack
08-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Pantera lawlawlawl. Dimebag RIP :( :(

ninthlayer
08-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Dimebag just went home He just went home.

\m/ CFH \m/

mrconeman
08-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I lol'd at the Dime Bag comments.

Also, Not Dragonforce, Iron Maiden, Not Dragonforce, Judas Priest, Not Dragon Force, Quiet Riot, Not Dragonforce, Early Ozzy Osbourne stuff with Randy Rhoads, Not Dragonforce, Some older Metallica is good if you can stand Kirk Hammet's attempt at playing guitar and Not Dragonforce.

nieh
08-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Mastadon = very yay.

H1T_That
08-07-2006, 08:02 AM
In Flames, Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom

Yatesy
08-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Mastadon = very yay.

This post = very yay.

Anyway, bands I like in particular are: Jesu, Children Of Bodom, DragonForce, Opeth, Isis and Machine Head. Oh and Mastodon too! =D

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Mastadon = very yay.
Damnit, forgot them. I approve!

And mrconeman, No DragonForce? WTfuckingF?

rocketman
08-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Megadeth and Nevermore

EDIT: And Children of Bodom

killer_queen
08-07-2006, 10:37 AM
sucks, sucks, sucks.

The best metal band is definitely Sepultura. And I've just found how great Pain of Salvation is. Aaand Swedish bands always make good music. That's all.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
And I've just found how great Pain of Salvation is. Aaand Swedish bands always make good music. That's all.
Haha, I guess you've been talking Jebus!

Also, Not Dragonforce, Not Dragonforce, Not Dragon Force, Not Dragonforce, Not Dragonforce and Not Dragonforce.
Fixed. =)

I need to add Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, by the way. And because of your amazingly cute username, you also get a bonus: Can (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Yntqe_vak)dle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kosVP4NRkCw)mass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfDGZk99TM)

AAE: Nocturnal Rites. Your opinion please.

mrconeman
08-07-2006, 11:29 AM
And mrconeman, No DragonForce? WTfuckingF?
Majorly over-rated, terribly cheesy, every song sounds the same.

Now dont get me wrong, they are pretty okay, and extremely good musicians but they hype around them confuses me to no end, I'm not much of a power metal fan, but there are tons of bands in the power metal genre endlessly better than them.

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 12:10 PM
AAE: Nocturnal Rites. Your opinion please.
Haven't listened to them. Recommendations?

Majorly over-rated, terribly cheesy, every song sounds the same.

No they're not
All metal bands are
Only the drums

They're easily one of the more uplifting and enjoyable power metal bands out there. Sonata Arctica's my favorite, and are much better for "moody" metal, but DragonForce is probably my second favorite power metal band.

**I forgot Pain of Salvation and Shadow Gallery (Shadow Gallery has some ridiculous instrumentals though, and can get annoying, although the vocals are kickass)

Yatesy
08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Half the fun of DragonForce (imo) is the fact they are cheesy, but they're really good and uplifting which is very rare for a metal band.

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Half the fun of DragonForce (imo) is the fact they are cheesy, but they're really good and uplifting which is very rare for a metal band.
Not the good part, if you take out black/(most of)death/any kind with "core" on the end, metal's easily one of the most surperior types of music.

Edit: Check out this thread. (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23805)

pretty fly 88
08-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Metallica and Judas Priest are the best metal bands I can think of.

mrconeman
08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
No they're not
All metal bands are
Only the drums

1.Are you kidding me? They are completely over-rated as a band, and everywhere right now because of that song Through the Fire & Flames. Basically because it has a guitar duel in it.

2.Not really, well they all kind of are, but Dragonforce are much worse for the cheddar.

3.Plain wrong. The guitar is basically the same on every single track I've heard, granted I havent heard many, but judging what I have heard, I dont really want too.

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
1.Are you kidding me? They are completely over-rated as a band, and everywhere right now because of that song Through the Fire & Flames. Basically because it has a guitar duel in it.

2.Not really, well they all kind of are, but Dragonforce are much worse for the cheddar.

3.Plain wrong. The guitar is basically the same on every single track I've heard, granted I havent heard many, but judging what I have heard, I dont really want too.
I personally think they're awesome because of all the instruments being mixed well.

Have you never heard Rhapsody?

You must be listening to the wrong songs, or the same one over and over.

mrconeman
08-07-2006, 12:41 PM
They have decent arrangements in their songs with the instruments, I agree, but its the exact same every time, the only song of theirs I've heard that sounds in any way unique is Through the Fire & Flames, and even the intro and outro to that sound exactly the same as all the other intro's and outro's

...The less said about Rhapsody the better, I'm talking about credible metal bands, heh.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Haven't listened to them. Recommendations?
Well, I haven't really heard a lot either, so I can't recommend anything. But Fools Never Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7kxI7eA8EA) is definitely enjoyable. Nothing too special, but it's pretty good. Anyway, just wanted to see what you thought about them, since they seem like something you might like.

Yatesy
08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Not the good part, if you take out black/(most of)death/any kind with "core" on the end, metal's easily one of the most surperior types of music.

Edit: Check out this thread. (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23805)

I wasn't saying metal was bad! lol I should have made it more clear in my post. =\ I only meant to say most metal isn't uplifting if that makes sense, i guess I should have re-worded my post. Ha, so yeah sorry about my bad wording! I'm pretty much into any type of metal, excluding anything with core at the end of it, that stuff is bad. However, I disagree with you saying Black metal is bad, I rather like the band Darkthrone, although they aren't something I listen for a long time. xD Oh, I've been on that thread a few times, it's pretty good.

nieh
08-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Have you never heard Rhapsody?

Rhapsody make me lolz even more than all the other bands in that genre.

Yatesy
08-07-2006, 01:37 PM
OMG! I totally for got to mention DIO!

Mannen som blev en gris
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I only meant to say most metal isn't uplifting if that makes sense, i guess I should have re-worded my post.
Most power metal is though.

And I have to say something: Cheesyness is NOT something bad! A band is supposed to entertain, even if that involves wooden swords and baby-oil! Yes, Rhapsody and Manowar make me lolz too, but that's a good thing! The lyrics are gay, I know, but I still think it can be pretty cool. It's just an image, and a way to get away from this little thing called reality for a while.

Raise your hands
Swords in the wind
Brothers of metal together again
With blood in our voices we ride
We'll fight until we win
Or we'll fight until we die

Gods of Thunder, Fire and Rain
Cut into the earth till' none shall remain
Sons of Demons I command you to fly
Ride up from hell into the sky
We'll fight until we die

=)

Yatesy
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Most power metal is though.

And I have to say something: Cheesyness is NOT something bad! A band is supposed to entertain, even if that involves wooden swords and baby-oil! Yes, Rhapsody and Manowar make me lolz too, but that's a good thing! The lyrics are gay, I know, but I still think it can be pretty cool. It's just an image, and a way to get away from this little thing called reality for a while.

True, but I've only really can say I listen to 2 power metal bands regularly, well 3 really if you include old Nightwish (imo anyway) Oh the Power Metal bands I was referring to were DragonForce and Helloween, so yeah what power metal bands should I look out for. And yes Cheese=awesome! :D

- -Lauren- -
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Dethklok.

20 points to anyone who gets the reference.

Professor Chaos
08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Dethklok.
<3!

WHADDAYA MEAN BOOZE AIN'T FOOD?!

- -Lauren- -
08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I love the fact that to get tickets they sign over their lives, so if anyone dies Dethklok cannot have charges pressed against them.

COFFEE!

Smoky_Mc_Weed
08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Dream Theater and Black Sabbath

Come out and smash'em up!
08-10-2006, 07:34 AM

I think u have been in an unholy alliance :D

H1T_That
08-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I think u have been in an unholy alliance :D

With the addition of Slayer, you're right.

Jebus
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
And I've just found how great Pain of Salvation is.
YES! <3 <3