PDA

View Full Version : A question for everyone not from America

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2004, 09:54 AM
It's really discouraging and rather infuriating (to make an understatement) that many of us "yanks" are working day in and day out to fight the imperialist attitude that our government is taking, and yet we're still lumped in with all the insults. And so I ask, what the fuck? Should we just stop trying, start screaming about the "damn towelheads," and gain 50 pounds? Would that make things easier for you?

wheelchairman
12-19-2004, 10:11 AM
You're right. And you know what, I'd make a damn good neo-conservative as well.

Vera
12-19-2004, 11:09 AM
The thing with generalizations is that. Well, they exist. And then you have a big country like the US and well, you can't put everyone under the same file. You can't even put all the Bush voters under the same file.

Anyway, if this was triggered by something someone on this BBS says... Well, it is the BBS. And the people on it are not the most ...you know.

SicN Twisted
12-19-2004, 11:26 AM
We can start by not going to other countries as tourists, completely mocking their cultures and making fools of ourselves publicly. As a half European, getting pigeonholled as an ignorant redneck anoys me just as much as seeing an obese American family asking people in English where the nearest McDonalds is. Electing Bush did make Americans look bad worldwide, but our obnoxious self rightiousness we bring with us abroad certainly doesn't help.

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2004, 12:13 PM
But we're all on the same side as far as hating American self-righteousness goes. For every American that asks for directions in the language of the country he or she is visiting, the only thing that people notice is the ugly American who demands loudly and slowly in poor English where the McDonald's is.

RXP
12-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Gain 50lbs around the chest area I'll love you.

SicN Twisted
12-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Stop posting.

SicN Twisted
12-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Most American tourists that you see in touristy areas are obnoxious, because tourists that aren't will actually visit the places of relevence instead of the blown up tourist traps.

Betty
12-19-2004, 11:16 PM
I agree with you regarding the unfair generalizations... and would also like to add, along the same vein, that it sucks to constantly hear that the half that DID vote for Bush are "ignorant", "idiots" etc.

Sexy Panda
12-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Jesus 1565 I'm not going to lump you in with the rednecks but that was the sookiest bunch of shit I've read in a while. With whingeing of that magnitude are you sure you aren't a closeted English?

Sic hit the nail on the head. The shit yanks do as tourists is far more infuriating than them exercising their democratic rights.

If you feel you are unfairly judged then I would think that giving up the fight is the worst possible solution.

RonWelty
12-20-2004, 02:12 AM
without globalization you couldnīt have OFFSPRING discs in your house :X

T-6005
12-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Interesting non-connection, thanks.

But most cultures are judges on their negative aspects.

It's just that when a government's actions, or the government's symbol (cheered or hated by the people, whichever) begin(s ) to embody the stereotype, the generalization becomes a lot more widespread.

RonWelty
12-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Interesting non-connection, thanks.

But most cultures are judges on their negative aspects.

It's just that when a government's actions, or the government's symbol (cheered or hated by the people, whichever) begin(s ) to embody the stereotype, the generalization becomes a lot more widespread.
lol what i was trying to say is something like this : without america we europeans couldn īt have good things like offspring records ... so we just can īt be "against" usa all the time ..they do and did thignsa against us itīs true ...but remember the fisrt and second World war
they helped us in the past ..why not in the future? and in the present?
they could have a dumb president , but wait ..he only will be more 3.5 years ...after that hilary will take control :P
hope u understand my message :X

T-6005
12-20-2004, 02:37 AM
The message is crystal clear.

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Jesus 1565 I'm not going to lump you in with the rednecks but that was the sookiest bunch of shit I've read in a while. With whingeing of that magnitude are you sure you aren't a closeted English?

Sic hit the nail on the head. The shit yanks do as tourists is far more infuriating than them exercising their democratic rights.

If you feel you are unfairly judged then I would think that giving up the fight is the worst possible solution.

I grew up watching British TV shows--I'm sure it's affected me in ways I've yet to realize.

Let's have an IQ test, or some kind of examination to measure whether or not an American is fucktarded or not, as mandatory before any visas are granted for tourism from America to any other country.

Mota Boy
12-20-2004, 07:01 PM
There is an interesting dual nature in the world view of the U.S. On one hand, there is general resentment towards the majority of our policies, but on the other, dirty foreigners tend to respect America's culture and the country remains seen as a land of opportunity and beacon of freedom, though it's been in some slight decline since directly after WWII. Even those that decry their hatred of America on this site are doing it in English, on the site of an American band.

However, recently it seems that the two are being more and more intertwined. There is evidence that foreign citizens are less likely to purchase American products in part because of disgust over some of the U.S.'s recent actions and Americans are being seen more as people that support their government's actions, which make them a bit more responsible for them. The re-election of Dubya will likely accelerate this trend.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 03:25 AM
Yeah apparently this is the largest unorganized boycott on a group of products(American) ever.

Nina
12-21-2004, 07:10 AM
from where i am standing, only the people i know who dont
know anything about either politics or the way americans
live (in their own country, that is) say anti-american
generalizations. other than that, i've only heard people
say negative things about the government.
and while i have never been to america, i am still capable
of reading o.0 i read in many many articles about things like
the weight problems of a lot of americans...therefore i think
it is understandable and justified to say that *a lot* (and
definitely not most) americans are overweight. why
not? its a fact. and people can talk about that fact, and
do. i think thats normal. dont we do that with other countries
as well? (that alone wouldnt make it "right", but i dont use
it as an argument for that anyway).

T-6005
12-21-2004, 07:42 AM
I've never thought of America as the beacon of freedom in the least. Not that that means it's not a liberal society, but still.

Bit self-proclaimed, that.

Vera
12-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Agreed, somewhat.

T-6005
12-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Agreed, somewhat.

Where's the error?

Vera
12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Nowhere, to be honest.

T-6005
12-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Ah... alright, then.

noodler
12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
emm

while ive no doubt that some ppl are against bush and the war in Iraq.

it seems quite clear that, in a democracy, that the people are responsible for the leader that they elect.

and just over a month ago, most of u picked Bush.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 06:28 PM
emm

while ive no doubt that some ppl are against bush and the war in Iraq.

it seems quite clear that, in a democracy, that the people are responsible for the leader that they elect.

and just over a month ago, most of u picked Bush.
I wouldn't call America a democracy.

In the pseudo-facade of a democracy, we picked Bush over Kerry. Not the majority of us though, the majority who voted.

noodler
12-21-2004, 06:45 PM
well thats another problem altogether.

the people who didnt vote[tho who were eligable] are idiots too.

little miss says dont lump us all togther which is fair enough but the fact is most of the people who voted voted for bush while many others couldnt be arsed getting up and trying to stop the madman or even worse dont see anything wrong with him.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Hmm but why do you assume they voted for him because they like him? And let's face it, it was the smallest victory in history. About 49% of the population is against him. You can't generalize based on a 1% minority can you?

Little_Miss_1565
12-21-2004, 08:17 PM
well thats another problem altogether.

the people who didnt vote[tho who were eligable] are idiots too.

little miss says dont lump us all togther which is fair enough but the fact is most of the people who voted voted for bush while many others couldnt be arsed getting up and trying to stop the madman or even worse dont see anything wrong with him.

If you want to call barely half "most," then yes. But like WCM said, there's about as many people who are dead set against him.

SicN Twisted
12-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Polls show that Kerry supporters knew more about Kerry's plan then Bush's supporters did. Democrats tend to more more politically inclined, while most people who vote republics just do cause cause they're in the south and they've been brought up with that mindset.

Satanic_Surfer
12-25-2004, 10:02 PM
The only thing seperating the Democrats and the Republicans, is that the Republicans will most likely curse and use insults when critisized while the Democrats enjoys a good conversation.

And to say that 49% of americans are against Bush is wrong.
Bush got 51% of the electory's votes, wich does not have to run along with the actual numbers of votes.
Add up that only 60% of the population voted, half of that is actually 30%, wich means 30% of the american population is for Bush, yet tend to use insults when critisized.
While the rest of the 70% of americans either have given up the hope on party political bullshit or simply decided to vote for the Republican opposition.

THINK (for fucks sake...)!!!

noodler
12-26-2004, 06:00 PM
ehhhhhhhh......................no

Satanic_Surfer
12-26-2004, 07:21 PM
How about practicing some math skills, if you refuse to think?

noodler
12-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Look if ur against Bush and don't vote then thats your own problem. You couldnt be THAT much against Bush if u didnt bother to vote.

therefore you couldnt be bothered either way,

so 51 percent of the ppl who cared enough to vote wnted Bush.[I know theres some technicalities with criminals etc but generally]

Yeah and saying all republcans argue while all democrats are civilised......bit of a generalisation.

NotJustMusicItsAHairstyle
12-26-2004, 08:03 PM
OK. Fu*kheads are fu*kheads.
Americans are not all fu*k heads, but you just tend to get the feeling they are when a bunch of American redneck tourists ask you why there are no kangaroos in the city, and why all "austrians" talk funny.

On the political and military side of things, American policies seem SO arrogant and hipocritical its almost funny. Here's George demanding some country stops their "weapons of mass destruction" program, then he turns around and announces America have developed a new sort of nuclear weapon. It gets so frustrating.

There are many Australian fu*kwits too. Look no further than John Howard, Peter Costello, Alexander Downer and other Aussie right-wing political retards.

Generalisations are a human thing. They are just natural. Back when we lived in caves, imagine if you were attacked by a swarm of wasps. Would you go to another wasp's nest and think you would be safe? No. You would be wary of ALL wasp's nests from that day onwards. It is the same case with this American thing. You see George Dubbayah doing some shitwitted thing, so you think, Americans=Fu*kwits. This is really only a problem when it turns to racism. If you start bashing up Muslims ar Hindus because some other Muslim or Hindu carried out a terrorist attack, you have a problem. A fu*cking major problem with your head. So, stop blaming people for harmless generalisations, but if you start to decide all Iraqis are terrorists, GO FU*KIN TALK TO A PHSYCHIATRIST!

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get that off my chest.

SicN Twisted
12-26-2004, 10:59 PM
What's wrong with the word fuck?

sk8ter-hater
12-26-2004, 11:04 PM
I got a question.
Ok.. When you flush the toilet, does it go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

dexterisMYman
12-27-2004, 11:41 PM
i live in america but was born in germany. so i see wat u ppl r talkin about but its not that bad