PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball Tryouts. eek.

- -Lauren- -
08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
So, I've got volleyball tryouts this week, as today was our first day of it. It continues until Thursday. Last week I practiced playing beach volleyball instead of indoor, because that was all they had. I find from jumping in the sand, now when I play indoor my vertical leap has increased by a good 2 or 3 inches.

Anyways, they're 4 hours long each day and on Thursday I have to run the mile for it. Does anyone know of any good music to suggest to me to listen to while I'm running the mile?

And on another note, I need to rest and keep myself energized. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe food that I can prepare to keep me feeling good, nothing like pizza or hot dogs.

Today was a good day as my serving was awesome, but my hitting wasn't at it's peak. I got pulled over to play on the JV/Varsity court today, instead of the Sophomore one. Which is AWESOME because my goal is to make JV this year, and Varsity next year when I'm a junior.

Can anyone help me out to keep me feeling my best and staying energized eating good food, or any tips for anything of that assortment in general.

This is a pretty stressful time right now, considering volleyball is pretty much my life. Advice would be OUTSTANDINGLY helpful.

kthanx.

Llamas
08-21-2006, 02:25 PM
eat carbs, great energy storage. Try to avoid sugar. I'd recommend sandwiches with veggies and meats... granola bars... and fruits (the kind of sugar in fruit is better energy storage than manufactured sugar).

as far as music... well I think that's pretty straight forward. high-energy, fast paced music. I tend to like to make mixes just for running long distances. A mile isn't that long and is probably only long enough for about 2 songs at the most... in that case I'm no help. For long distances, I like to start out with something mid-tempo, then go to something fast... maybe increasing speed a little, then another mid-tempo... maybe slow down quite a bit.. etc.

Of course, drink a lot of water. But be careful, because there is such thing as drinking too much water when working out (though volleyball probalby wouldn't put you in that position).

Holy crap, you're a lot younger than I thought you were!

Hope this helps.

Preocupado
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
About the food: i'd say carbohydrates and proteins. Like pasta with meat. In less quantity than at a regular diet, but more times a day.
To keep your muscular mass well supplied and gain some more, that is.

- -Lauren- -
08-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I took 2 water bottles today, and squeezed the juice of half a lime into each one for flavor and the boost that limes give you, as lemons contain nothing in them.

I need incredibly fast paced music. Something more of the techno or electronica genre, for that will keep me going. If anyone can suggest anything fast paced than Freezepop would be GREAT. Freezepop is wonderful, but not as fast as I'd like.

Any breathing techniques for running would be appreciated too. I ate spaghetti last night to carb up, and maybe I'll eat a BIG bowl of Betty Crocker's Suddenly Salad stuff tonight. And beef stick slices with cheese. Sounds good? And more lime-water.

z0mg yay for faster maturity!

Llamas
08-21-2006, 02:37 PM
lime for flavor actually detracts from the quenching ability of water very slightly. probably no big deal, but something to keep in mind.

man... the fastest paced music I have is speed metal, haha. I'm not much for actual techno (though some other types of electronica can be great).

Breathing techniques... well I'm no expert, but I used to pace myself... I definitely find it helps a lot to breathe consistantly with my running. At the beginning of the run, I'll breathe in on two steps, then breathe out on two steps... then as I go farther and farther, I'll breathe in on one step and out on one. I'll never breathe any faster than that, and I try to keep the breathing at 2 steps for as long as possible.

Another thing I find to be good for myself is to try to run with your ankles, instead of with your knees. I mean... try not to bend your knees much... keep your legs pretty straight, and have most of the action occur around your ankles and hips. Throwing your legs way up behind you and moving your arms a lot use a lot of energy and tire you out faster.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I play baseball and soccer and have my pre-game songs and food.

Before a long practice or a game, I eat a lunch-typical meal about 2-3 hours beforehand, so I don't let hunger interrupt me and also have time to digest the food.

When I immediately reach the field I drink half a bottle of water or gatorade. It is enough to get you started and ready, but not too much to cause any stomach related problems.

There are also certain songs I listen to before games and practice that I allow to get stuck in my head while I'm playing. Not to say they'll work their magic on you, but I listen to "To The Core"- Rise Against, "The Last Kiss"- AFI, and "Come Out Swinging"- The Offspring. I tend to concentrate on the song a little bit more rather than disturbances in the audience attending the game or friends trying to talk to me.

When I am forced to run or feel a need to sprint around the block, I grab my iPod and turn on songs with even beats. You might not understand what I mean, but I breathe in and out to the beats of those songs.

I hope I helped.

- -Lauren- -
08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh yes, you guys are very helpful!

Llamas
08-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I play baseball and soccer and have my pre-game songs and food.

Before a long practice or a game, I eat a lunch-typical meal about 2-3 hours beforehand, so I don't let hunger interrupt me and also have time to digest the food.

When I immediately reach the field I drink half a bottle of water or gatorade. It is enough to get you started and ready, but not too much to cause any stomach related problems.

There are also certain songs I listen to before games and practice that I allow to get stuck in my head while I'm playing. Not to say they'll work their magic on you, but I listen to "To The Core"- Rise Against, "The Last Kiss"- AFI, and "Come Out Swinging"- The Offspring. I tend to concentrate on the song a little bit more rather than disturbances in the audience attending the game or friends trying to talk to me.

When I am forced to run or feel a need to sprint around the block, I grab my iPod and turn on songs with even beats. You might not understand what I mean, but I breathe in and out to the beats of those songs.

I hope I helped.

3 hours is a little too much time unless you eat a HUGE meal, which is a bad idea... I'd say eat a normal sized meal about 2 hours ahead.

a bottle of water is good.

the idea of the music... well that's something I used to do when I played tennis in highschool. At every meet, I'd sing in my head "Strangled" by Osker... only instead of "grab the wrist, pull away, I don't wanna die today, so I won't", I'd think "I don't wanna lose this game, so I won't".... corny, but it worked. And yes, having a song stuck in your head makes things easier. if you're able to listen to music while you are running, though, that doesn't matter. And what do you mean, even beats? You can breathe in and out to any song, so long as the beat isn't too fast or slow...

HornyPope
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't know the specific diet for girls, but sugar is probably the base of your regimen. Isolated sugar, preferably. Drink milkshakes: soy milk (preferably) mixed with fruits (bannanas, apples) and honey and yougurt in one blender.

Peanut butter is amazing, preferably biological so you avoid the nasty trans fat. And a meal of meat everyday, tuna fish is excellent too.

Basicly, just a standard diet. Nothing special.

Llamas
08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
well... sugars are good on a surface level. Like, sure they give you instant energy... but very bad in the long run. They wear off so fast and leave your body unhappy. carbs are a much better option. though sugars from fruits are fine.

HornyPope
08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah it's best after the excercise to re-fill the energy you took out. And in moderate doses.

Why are you fat btw if you know the work out stuff? Why not apply the knowledge in field-training?

Llamas
08-21-2006, 03:40 PM
wtf are you on about??

HornyPope
08-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm just curious why people who are eager and knowledge about diets and sports also remain fat.

- -Lauren- -
08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
So...are you calling someone here fat, or just stating a fact?

JoY
08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
tiny contribution: sugar IS carbohydrates. (in case no one mentioned yet)

refined carbs (simple sugars; they're generally in white products; white rice, white bread, white sugar, white flour..) give energy fast, but not a whole lot of it. complex carbs digest slower, but also give more energy, because your body digests them more efficiently without absorbing too much for storage. (like grains, fruits, vegetables... you name it) only if you need instant energy (like during a game), I'd advice refined, simple, fast carbs. in these cases you also need a lot of fluids, so you can drink sugary drinks for instant energy which also works against dehydration. the more muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism is, so that means your body can transform food into energy faster. proteins are required for muscle construction, so they're definitely advicable.

I haven't read all the previous posts, but I'm sure everything I said was already in there.

Edit: hah, I just forgot an entire part of a sentence.

Llamas
08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
you just refined what I was saying about sugar and carbs :) I wasn't very detailed about it.

JoY
08-21-2006, 05:21 PM
true. I didn't read your entire post. *shame on Bella* but it wasn't necessarily just a reaction to your post anyway. just general silly info.

HornyPope
08-21-2006, 08:11 PM
So...are you calling someone here fat, or just stating a fact?

Well, I was talking to someone.

- -Lauren- -
08-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, I was talking to someone.

who?

Anywhom.

Tomorrow is the last day, and I have a big chance of making Junior Varsity, and a slim chance of making Varsity. Wouldn't that be awesome?

We find out tomorrow who makes what team. Then we're going to celebrate by going to the fair. YAYZ!

Apathy
08-23-2006, 02:24 PM
next year when I'm a junior.

You're in the same grade as me! Way to Go!

Anyways, they're 4 hours long each day and on Thursday I have to run the mile for it.

They let you listen to music when running? That's got to be nice. I've got a 5k race tomorrow for my Cross Country team, and I wish I could listen to some music to relax a bit.

What times do you usually get on mile runs?

- -Lauren- -
08-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, they haven't allowed it, but they haven't disallowed it. (Is that a word?)

Last year I got an 8:30. But since I've been running, I predict an early 7 minute mile.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Good luck, Lauren

- -Lauren- -
08-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Good luck, Lauren

Thanks, Brett!

I was the first one to get a schedule, so that meant I was at least going to make Sophomore. Hell, I better make a team. I haven't done 2 years of club volleyball for nothing!

Apathy
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, they haven't allowed it, but they haven't disallowed it. (Is that a word?)

Last year I got an 8:30. But since I've been running, I predict an early 7 minute mile.

I don't see any high school teachers letting you run with music unfortunately. Unless it's some gay radio in the side of the room.

And Yes, that is a word :P

- -Lauren- -
08-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, they're just the coaches. And I could probably hide it. The teachers at my school let you listen to your music if you finish your assignment early.

Apathy
08-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Jeez, it took you like thirty seconds to reply to my post.

Freak.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Lawl @ tryouts. Swimming doesn't have any :)

Edit: as far as diet goes, if you want to be in great shape and/or lose weight, drink a lot less of the sodas. If you drink a soda a day, just one 20 oz coke, you gain 10+ pounds over one year. Try cutting out sweets except for once a week or so also. Without all that sugar you'll feel more energetic generally all the time.

- -Lauren- -
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm a pretty fast typer. And accurate, at that.

Apathy
08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Depending on how much you're running in practice, you're going to need a lot of water. Mucho Mucho Agua.

Keeps you hydrated obviously. If you're running more than a mile or two each day it's nice to just fill up an empty Gallon of Milk with Water and take a drink Whenever needed.

Betty
08-24-2006, 09:09 PM
This makes me jealous that I didn't go to a school with a decent volleyball team because I missed out on potentially actually being serious about it. I tried out for varsity in University and didn't have a hope in hell... but I think I coulda had a chance had I played at a decent level in high school. Oh well, probably worked out for the best in the long run.