PDA

View Full Version : Re: Photo Album 2: Backpacking

coke_a_holic
08-21-2006, 07:50 PM
After the hike, we actually stayed over in Berkely at Camp Herms. We were staying at a crew-member's house in Oakland beforehand and we travelled up to Hetch Hetchy Resevoir in Yosemite.

I was angry that we never got above 10,000 ft (the highest point was only 9,400 or so) because 2 years ago I went on a 50-miler in New Mexico where we spent a lot of time around 11,000. The good part is that we did 57 miles in 6 days this time, whereas in NM we did 64 miles in 10 days. We did about 5-8 miles ea

I carried about 55 ibs, but a few of the kids were carrying more than 60. For bears, we had 4 bear canisters, and we used the bear boxes over in the Backpacker's camp, but only the first night had bear bag rope, so we ended up just not bothering. We tried having a bearwatch on our layover day, which was just... not cool; 2 hour shifts SUCK. That was my first time with the bear canisters and they were the absolute worst. The kid with the hippy hair/get-up had his hung behind his pack and it would always smack me in the face.

I wish we had gone up to some snow; the 13 year old, 90 ib boys in our crew just wouldn't have made it, though. Next time!

Where have you hiked?

HornyPope
08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Bear canisters?

Where are your assault rifles, America?

XYlophonetreeZ
08-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I mainly hike in Pisgah National Forest in the western North Carolina Appalachians. There are some real nice hikes out there, although there's even nicer scenery a little farther west in the Smokies. Being a national park, however, it gets kinda crowded and touristy sometimes. But at least climb Mt. Le Conte before you die. It's w00ttastic.

Your pics actually made me le sad. This is the first time in 3 years that I haven't gone on my annual 2-week trip to Pisgah. Now the most I'll get out of it is probably a weekend.

I've also hiked a bit in Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park (in Utah), but that was a long time ago. Me likey though, especially Zion.

Little_Miss_1565
08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Bear canisters?

I too have this question.

Do the canisters contain real bear?

0r4ng3
08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
As opposed to synthetic bear?

Edit: Or, perhaps, a hologram?

HornyPope
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I too have this question.

Do the canisters contain real bear?

Lol BEAR SPAM.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ahkitj/nikster/gallery/d/1688-2/bearcom_cuisine_guide_0004.jpg

coke_a_holic
08-21-2006, 10:58 PM
It's bear substitute, but 9 out of 10 backpackers can't tell the difference.

barangatang
08-22-2006, 12:09 AM
After the hike, we actually stayed over in Berkely at Camp Herms.

Oh sweet. That isn't quite in Berkeley, more like El cerrito. I've heard of camp herms though. Isn't that like a boys scout sort of thing?

I was angry that we never got above 10,000 ft (the highest point was only 9,400 or so) because 2 years ago I went on a 50-miler in New Mexico where we spent a lot of time around 11,000. The good part is that we did 57 miles in 6 days this time, whereas in NM we did 64 miles in 10 days. We did about 5-8 miles ea

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. I've always wanted to do a backpacking trip like that with an organized group and everything. The ones I usually go on are just a bunch of my friends and a couple of parents all sorta "roughing in the back country". We hike up the first day, set camp and then take day hikes throughout the week. It's a little bit of a tradition with my friends.

We do different places every year, but we usually choose a location up around the Mammonth lakes basin. This year we went up to saddlebag lake and packed up to around Tioga pass. It was so cool since it was the first time when we were completely by ourselves. It's truly amazing be completely isolated. Just you, the coyotes and the fish.

I carried about 55 ibs, but a few of the kids were carrying more than 60.

That seems like a good amount. Personally I can't handle anything above 60. The adults on the trip this year only packed on 70-75 pounds.

coke_a_holic
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Isn't that like a boys scout sort of thing?
Yeah, I'm a boy scout. My scoutmaster had stayed there back in his day or whatever, so he got us a night there in a lean-to.

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. I've always wanted to do a backpacking trip like that with an organized group and everything. The ones I usually go on are just a bunch of my friends and a couple of parents all sorta "roughing in the back country". We hike up the first day, set camp and then take day hikes throughout the week. It's a little bit of a tradition with my friends.
Do I smell some kind of super BBS meet-up/backpacking trip? That would be fucking hardcore.

We do different places every year, but we usually choose a location up around the Mammonth lakes basin. This year we went up to saddlebag lake and packed up to around Tioga pass. It was so cool since it was the first time when we were completely by ourselves. It's truly amazing be completely isolated. Just you, the coyotes and the fish.
Boy Scout regulation doesn't let us do that, but I've been thinking about getting a non-scout trip with something similar... just over here on the east coast. So, you were over on the eastern-side of the valley? That's pretty awesome; we stayed over on the western side. I would've loved to hike through Tuolomne Meadows or something.

barangatang
08-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Boy Scout regulation doesn't let us do that, but I've been thinking about getting a non-scout trip with something similar... just over here on the east coast. So, you were over on the eastern-side of the valley? That's pretty awesome; we stayed over on the western side. I would've loved to hike through Tuolomne Meadows or something.

Yep. Right by Mono lake. We car-camped before going backpacking in a small town called Lee Vining. It basically was two restaurants, a gas station, a hotel and a mono lake tourists center. I absolutely love Tuolomne Meadows. It's almost always super crowded so it's pretty tough getting a campground there. We take a ton of family car camping trips to the meadows. We always attempt to beat the crowds but we always end up only just barely getting a camp site.

I know some boy scouts. I remember one of them mentioning doing a boy scouts backpacking trip. What was the age group? I didn't recognize any of the kids in the pictures. Do you have any more pictures with different kids, or was that all of them? It would be crazy awesome if I somehow knew one of the kids that went on the trip with you.

Do I smell some kind of super BBS meet-up/backpacking trip? That would be fucking hardcore.

That would be terribly fun. Yayz for going out back country with teh fellow offspringers.

Have you ever been up to the Lassen volcanic national park? That's got to be one of my favorite spots in California, probably my all-time favorite national park in America. If you haven't gone, I highly suggested going. It's simply breathtaking.

coke_a_holic
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
The two kids in our crew that were actually from California from Troop 503, which is a San Leandro troop, I think. I doubt you know them, Berkely and San Leandro are like 30 minutes apart, but the age group was 14-15 for those two.

That was only my 3rd time in California and my first time in that area, so I haven't really done any other backpacking there. I'd like to, though, my experience in the Sierras was damn awesome.

the_GoDdEsS
08-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Sounds pretty good. I'd love a trip like that. To the mountains, woods and stuff where I grew up because where I live now the land is flat and boring. And I never hiked in a big mountain. We once went to a relatively small local one but the only problem was that it was way too far because you had to go in circles, spiral-style. And it started snowing!

calichix
08-23-2006, 10:47 AM
omg *SQUEEL* I love yosemite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always leave food out for bears cause I'd be stoked if we got attacked by one. Did you climb half dome?

and by the way, Oakland succcccccks. and by the by the way, don't forget to visit Big Sur on your sojourn. :D

Sin Studly
08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
My dad climbed that giant rock at yosamite. Well, he got halfway up and failed. Whatever. He travelled all the way to california just to climb it. He's a dick.

calichix
08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
el capitan? it takes like 3 days to climb it and you have to sleep suspended from little metal thingies lodged into flimsy rock. your dad's a pussy.