PDA

View Full Version : Matchbox 20

All About Eve
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm sure there's been a thread for this before, but frankly, I'm too lazy to search for it and I only have a couple minutes anyways.

I have the newest cd, and I love it. The first three tracks are amazing, and it remains consistent throughout most of the cd. I'm curious as to if anyone has any of their older cds and could possibly send them to me, as I can't find a torrent anywhere.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Bump .

bd007h
08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
I could upload their other 2 albums at some point in the next few days. Personally I like their first one the best. If you like Matchbox 20, you might like Third Eye Blind, as they are somewhat similar bands.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
third eye blind- good for the first album, and mostly just for the last 3 songs on there. then jenkin's ego blew up and they got too poppy.

matchox twenty- good for the first two albums. found out what kind of people they really are and it ruined them for me. Then more than you think you are was boring as hell and lame.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Third Eye Blind got poppy for like 2 songs on Blue (the 2 hit singles: Never Let You Go and Deep Inside of You), and that's about it.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:14 PM
I have all three of their albums. The second two were far poppier than the first...

Also, that's why Kevin quit.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Kevin didn't quit, he got kicked out due to a feud with Stephan over the record contract and song writing credits

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:17 PM
stephan "kicked him out" because kevin said he was gonna quit because of the direction the band was headed. the story you heard was the cover up story.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:20 PM
They took off without him on a plane before they played Never Let You Go on Leno, hence the lyrics "When the plane takes off you'll know it" at the end of Darwin. Tony Fredianelli learned the riff to Never Let You Go during the sound check before the performance.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I know that. kevin said he was gonna quit cause of the direction of the band, so stephan pulled a complete dickwad move on him. causing even more dislike of the band.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I know Stephan Jenkins can be a complete prick and all that, but that doesn't make me dislike the music.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd never be willing to give money to someone who's that kind of a person. I felt dirty that I paid to go see the goo goo dolls, and some of that money had to go to that prick. Also it depresses me how much I like vanessa carlton, because when I buy her albums or go see her, I know some of my money is going to him, too. I just can't stand supporting people like that. And he's not talented enough to make up for it... it's not like he's Sinatra.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:28 PM
He might not be all that musically talented, but he writes some damn good lyrics.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
mostly about drugs and sex... and still not good enough to make up for his personality.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Vanessa might see something in him that none of the public knows about. How long have they been together?

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:30 PM
a few years. since the tour they did with the ggd in 2002.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
OK, Enough of the thread hi-jacking, I'm uploading the Matchbox 20 stuff now. AAE, if you want any Third Eye Blind as well, just let me know.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:42 PM
matchbox twenty consists of even worse people than third eye blind :( still a few good songs, though.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
There's always The Verve Pipe, hah. Another good late 90s adult-alternative band. Oh yeah, and also The Wallflowers with Bob Dylan's son

Llamas
08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I like several late 90's rock bands. some of my favorite bands are better than ezra, collective soul, barenaked ladies and the goo goo dolls.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Those are good too, Especially BNL and GGD.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
OK, Enough of the thread hi-jacking, I'm uploading the Matchbox 20 stuff now. AAE, if you want any Third Eye Blind as well, just let me know.

Matchbox 20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0808518043819EA3)

Mad Season will be up later tonight.

Llamas
08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.isohunt.com/torrents?ihq=mad+season

there's a torrent for mad season.

ruroken
08-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I found Mad Season to be boring, including the title track, which is essentially the only song on the cd I will listen to, and I found Yourself or Someone Like You just as boring.
More Than You Think You Are, however, is one of my favorite albums. I love everything on it except for tracks 2 and 3.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-23-2006, 07:13 PM
They took off without him on a plane before they played Never Let You Go on Leno, hence the lyrics "When the plane takes off you'll know it" at the end of Darwin. Tony Fredianelli learned the riff to Never Let You Go during the sound check before the performance.
That line from Darwin has absolutely nothing to do with Kevin's departure. Think- if they were going to mention that, why would they do it in an abstract song about a need for religion? A song that has nothing to do with Kevin, the band, or anything personal? The reason for that line, so I've heard, is that Stephan has a habit of saying a prayer every time he sees a plane takes off due to a mild fear of flying- and he's been quoted saying that in an interview. By ending the song with that line, he's basically saying "when a plane takes off, then you'll truly know what faith is," since that what it means to him.

That said, I agree with you that their 2nd and 3rd albums are, with a few exceptions, less poppy than the first. More produced, yes, but less poppy. Seriously, Blue had what-- Never Let You Go, Deep Inside of You, and An Ode to Maybe? Other than those 3 relatively shitty songs, it's some of the least poppy shit you'll ever hear out of an alternative rock band (Red Summer Sun? Camouflage? Darwin?). And OK, if you wanna talk Out of the Vein, you've got Forget Myself and Wake for Young Souls for your poppy songs. Once again, the rest aren't that poppy at all.

And for the record, I loathe Rob Thomas's voice more than anything.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I actually like Rob Thomas' voice, and really like his one solo song I've heard (This is How a Heart Breaks).

bd007h
08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
That line from Darwin has absolutely nothing to do with Kevin's departure. Think- if they were going to mention that, why would they do it in an abstract song about a need for religion? A song that has nothing to do with Kevin, the band, or anything personal? The reason for that line, so I've heard, is that Stephan has a habit of saying a prayer every time he sees a plane takes off due to a mild fear of flying- and he's been quoted saying that in an interview. By ending the song with that line, he's basically saying "when a plane takes off, then you'll truly know what faith is," since that what it means to him.

I read this thing on a Kevin Cadogan website that some of the lyrics are about evolution and religion, and some of the lyrics are about Stephan's feud with Kevin:

Boom tick tick,
Who skipped the long play
Who skipped the record and who amped what you say?
I wanna sing a song that's my own
I wanna be the DJ

Those are about how Kevin skipped out on an EP deal, and how he felt he wasn't getting his fair share of the profits on the songs he co-wrote.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 07:37 PM
I actually like Rob Thomas' voice, and really like his one solo song I've heard (This is How a Heart Breaks).

I have his solo album too if you want that.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Sure, if it's not too much trouble. Anything I can up for you?

bd007h
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
It depends on what you've got. hah. I'll start uploading that now.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Prog or power metal? Goo Goo Dolls? REM? Lucky Boys Confusion? Better Than Ezra?

bd007h
08-23-2006, 07:54 PM
What Better Than Ezra stuff do you have? I only have the greatest Hits. Also, what metal bands do you have stuff of? I already have all the GGD albums and 5 REM albums.

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
For Better Than Ezra I have Before the Robots and Friction, Baby, Friction. Personally I like Before the Robots much better; F,B,F has some good songs, but aside from a couple the rest are already on the Hits.

Metal, I have a few Dream Theater cds, 4 Sonata Arctica cds, 2 Ayreon cds, a Nightwish cd, the Queensryche Greatest Hits, an Orphaned Land, a James LaBrie solo album, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting about.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I'll take whatever Better Than Ezra and Dream Theater you are willing to upload.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Rob Thomas - Something To Be (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=22CF46E12C7D0029)

All About Eve
08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
I'll upload them tomorrow, I have an assload of homework. I'll PM you with them sometime tomorrow afternoon.

bd007h
08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
ok, thanks. Take your time.

Camilamazed
08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't think 3eb is similar to Matchbox. :confused:

I like both bands, and Mad Season of Matchbox is the CD I love the most.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't think 3eb is similar to Matchbox. :confused:
I don't either, but it's like Offspring and Green Day. They both rose to fame during the same explosion of their respective genres (90s punk for Offspring and Green Day, late 90s alt-rock bands with really egotistical singers for 3eb and mb20), so no matter whether they actually sound alike, people will never stop comparing them.

bd007h
08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I guess that's why I always seem to group those 2 together.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I'll expand on that and say that I always group MB20, 3EB, Eve 6, and Everclear together.

And for punk, Rancid is also compared with The Offspring and Green Day. It's The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, and The Clash all over again!

Llamas
08-24-2006, 04:28 PM
I'll expand on that and say that I always group MB20, 3EB, Eve 6, and Everclear together.

And for punk, Rancid is also compared with The Offspring and Green Day. It's The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, and The Clash all over again!

eve 6? they're the only one of those that had elements of punk in their sound. mb20, 3eb, and everclear are similar... eve 6 was completely different...

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
eve 6? they're the only one of those that had elements of punk in their sound. mb20, 3eb, and everclear are similar... eve 6 was completely different...
No, Eve 6 was really similar to Third Eye Blind in lyrical style if you've listened to the lyrics. If you've heard Inside Out, it sounds like 3EB. Also, Everclear had a punk influence too, just not on many songs.

Llamas
08-24-2006, 05:05 PM
ever hear any of eve 6's non-singles? completely different. And lyrically, how on earth are they similar to 3eb? 3eb's lyrics are mostly about drugs and sex, and are very metaphorical and elusive. eve 6's lyrics are mostly about trying to get out and be a different person, about people who fuck you over, and they're very straight forward.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 05:46 PM
ever hear any of eve 6's non-singles? completely different. And lyrically, how on earth are they similar to 3eb? 3eb's lyrics are mostly about drugs and sex, and are very metaphorical and elusive. eve 6's lyrics are mostly about trying to get out and be a different person, about people who fuck you over, and they're very straight forward.

Yes, I have their self-titled album. They often use the type of tounge-twister lyrics that 3EB use. Not to mention that the two bands SOUND SIMILAR. Bd007h will agree. (Unless he changed his mind or something)

Llamas
08-24-2006, 05:52 PM
First of all, eve 6 released 3 albums and the self-titled was the most generic by a long shot. Not fair for you to compare a band that you haven't heard more than a third of their music.

Second of all, the guitarwork of third eye blind changed a lot throughout their 3 albums, and so did eve 6's. They were never similar at ALL. The vocals sound completely different, and 3eb barely had tongue-twister lyrics. Plus tongue-twister lyrics aren't something that you can compare anyway. That's like saying eve 6 reminds me of busta rhymes because of the tongue twister lyrics.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
First of all, eve 6 released 3 albums and the self-titled was the most generic by a long shot. Not fair for you to compare a band that you haven't heard more than a third of their music.

Second of all, the guitarwork of third eye blind changed a lot throughout their 3 albums, and so did eve 6's. They were never similar at ALL. The vocals sound completely different, and 3eb barely had tongue-twister lyrics. Plus tongue-twister lyrics aren't something that you can compare anyway. That's like saying eve 6 reminds me of busta rhymes because of the tongue twister lyrics.
I've heard several songs from their other albums, such as Hokis, Promise, Anytime, and Think Twice.

Also, I guess I didn't mean tounge-twisting lyrics, but actually lyrics that make you think about what he just said that are pretty confusing, such as "forgetting to forget that youre not mine." and tounge twisters like "I spit and stutter stuff and clutter Worries in my worried corner Maladjusted Just untrusted Rusted Sometimes brilliant trusted thoughts"
If that isn't a tounge twister, I don't know what is. Especially how he delivers it.

Llamas
08-24-2006, 06:15 PM
eve 6 does definitely use tongue twister lyrics, but 3eb doesn't. Maybe a couple isolated instances, but not generally.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
eve 6 does definitely use tongue twister lyrics, but 3eb doesn't. Maybe a couple isolated instances, but not generally.
Oh, I thought you were saying Eve 6 didn't use them. My bad.

But look at Semi-Charmed Life for example. He uses so many repetitions of the same syllables that I didn't even know how half the lyrics went until I looked up the lyrics!

Llamas
08-24-2006, 06:33 PM
that's why I said barely... that song is an exception. Sure if you compare that song to inside out, maybe slightly they are similar... but overall. not at all. 3eb, everclear, and matchbox 20 I admit are similar, though.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
that's why I said barely... that song is an exception. Sure if you compare that song to inside out, maybe slightly they are similar... but overall. not at all. 3eb, everclear, and matchbox 20 I admit are similar, though.
Everclear really isn't THAT similar. Their first album was pretty much grunge.

All About Eve
08-24-2006, 06:47 PM
BD007H: Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?)

I think that'll work. I'll get another up later.

bd007h
08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Eve 6 is probably the closest in Similarity to Third Eye Blind in my opinion. They are very different in some ways, yet very similar in others. It's hard to explain. On the 3EB board that I'm on, Eve 6 is probably the board's (as a whole) second favorite band. Eve 6 also has numerous songs about sex and drugs, maybe even more than 3EB:

Enemy
Girl Eyes
At Least We're Dreaming
Showerhead
Superhero Girl
Nightmare
Nocturnal (or the early version called Nocturnal Emission when they were known as Eleventeen)
Bang
Amphetemines
Rescue

bd007h
08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
BD007H: Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?)

I think that'll work. I'll get another up later.

That's just the link to upload stuff.

All About Eve
08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Goddamnit, holdon. The site messed up, so I got the link from the email it sent me. I'll try the other one.

This one should work. (action=download&ufid=2401AC3159575983&rcpt=inthebigmachine@aim.com )

bd007h
08-24-2006, 08:05 PM
That one doesn't seem to work either for some reason.

All About Eve
08-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Fuck it. I'll just reload it.

bd007h
08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
ok, no problem.

All About Eve
08-24-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8812586427719A4F

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what.

bd007h
08-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Yep, that works. Thanks again

Llamas
08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Eve 6 is probably the closest in Similarity to Third Eye Blind in my opinion. They are very different in some ways, yet very similar in others. It's hard to explain. On the 3EB board that I'm on, Eve 6 is probably the board's (as a whole) second favorite band. Eve 6 also has numerous songs about sex and drugs, maybe even more than 3EB:

Enemy
Girl Eyes
At Least We're Dreaming
Showerhead
Superhero Girl
Nightmare
Nocturnal (or the early version called Nocturnal Emission when they were known as Eleventeen)
Bang
Amphetemines
Rescue

Enemy is not about sex or drugs, it's about facing fears and resolving issues.

Alteast we're dreaming isn't, either. It's about hating your life but trying to keep your head up and keeping in mind that things aren't as bad as they seem.

Superhero Girl isn't, either. It's about a relationship, sure, but not about sex.

Nightmare? Just cause he says something about a dream where he was under a naked woman doesn't mean it's about sex... unless you think this one's about drugs, which it's not.

You're right about Bang, Amphetemines, and Rescue. And maybe Girl Eyes. Other than those few and "Here's to the Night", their song lyrics are not about drugs or sex.

Nocturnal is about a relationship, but what part deals with sex or drugs?

DeAtHsTaR
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Alteast we're dreaming isn't, either. It's about hating your life but trying to keep your head up and keeping in mind that things aren't as bad as they seem.

Superhero Girl isn't, either. It's about a relationship, sure, but not about sex.

Nightmare? Just cause he says something about a dream where he was under a naked woman doesn't mean it's about sex... unless you think this one's about drugs, which it's not.

You're right about Bang, Amphetemines, and Rescue. And maybe Girl Eyes. Other than those few and "Here's to the Night", their song lyrics are not about drugs or sex.

Nocturnal is about a relationship, but what part deals with sex or drugs?
On the Roof Again also deals with sex. Part of it anyway.

Tijs
08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I've got one of their albums for the longest time now, I've never listened to it. I don't even know what the music's like on it.

Just being irrelevant here.

Llamas
08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
On the Roof Again also deals with sex. Part of it anyway.

a song that's about sex, and a song that mentions sex, is completely different.

All About Eve
08-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Better Than Ezra - Before the Robots (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6E36A09D57CF3C35)

bd007h
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Enemy is about biographical song about Max Collins getting tested for an STD, a result of sex.

At Least We're Dreaming may not be about drugs, but it does mention getting "a dime bag from my guy"

bd007h
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
For Better Than Ezra I have Before the Robots and Friction, Baby, Friction. Personally I like Before the Robots much better; F,B,F has some good songs, but aside from a couple the rest are already on the Hits.

I just downloaded Deluxe, if you want that, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could I have Friction, Baby, Friction?

All About Eve
08-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Nah, I don't need Deluxe. Getting the actual cd later. And for some reason when I put F,B,F into iTunes half the songs say they can't be found, but they all work when qued up in wmp.

witweew
04-24-2008, 05:11 AM
....yeah -- I thought I'd pipe in and say that people are getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- it's pretty easy to find, just put 'euro club hits' into itunes or check this link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol +