PDA

View Full Version : RHCP - Stadium Arcadium - your thoughts?

Ryder1234
08-23-2006, 07:30 PM
this is an awsome double record and if u are a rhcp fan and dont have it, get it. your thoughts on this album?

Endymion
08-23-2006, 07:36 PM
i'm thinking you should have used the fucking search button.

Not Ozymandias
08-25-2006, 12:13 AM
What's there to think about?

Manic Subsidal Boy
08-25-2006, 02:14 AM
its crap, worst album yet

nightvision
08-25-2006, 05:33 AM
its crap, worst album yet

Second that.

BuddyHolly
08-25-2006, 05:43 AM
They should have made a 1-disc album with only great songs instead of a 2-disc album with just average songs...

Llamas
08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
not a good album. bssm, btw, and californication were way better.

JohnnyNemesis
08-25-2006, 10:31 AM
All I've heard is Dani California and Snow (Hey Oh). They're both very very good, which is saying a lot considering I don't like the band. But it's also more of the same shit from them.

Also, fucking search button yes.

DeAtHsTaR
08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I have only heard Dani California and Tell Me Baby and I like those songs, but they sound too much like every other song they've done in the last 10 years. I'm waiting for this guy to return his copy of that album to the library so I can check it out.

mrconeman
08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Not a fan of the album at all really. It's not very good song writing to be honest, there's a few songs on there that aren't bad at all, and I can listen to, but through the entire album something strikes me, John Furcainte wants to be Jimi Hendrix harder than anyone wants to be anyone else, It's a new thing for him, but this album just sounds like a bad Hendrix impression.

And as I'm sure you've all noticed, Dani California was noticably ripped-off from Tom Petty. And yes, before anyone starts, chord progressions are re-written all the time and some songs come out sounding similar, however, two songs can have exactly the same chords and sound completely different, the singing melody in the verses of both songs are almost identicle, along with the strumming pattern of guitars in both songs, and the rythem sections are also very similar, the only difference is lyrics and tempo.

You may also want to check that song for Johns rendition of Jimi Hendrix's riff for Purple Haze, John steals that for the first solo.

Llamas
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Not a fan of the album at all really. It's not very good song writing to be honest, there's a few songs on there that aren't bad at all, and I can listen to, but through the entire album something strikes me, John Furcainte wants to be Jimi Hendrix harder than anyone wants to be anyone else, It's a new thing for him, but this album just sounds like a bad Hendrix impression.

And as I'm sure you've all noticed, Dani California was noticably ripped-off from Tom Petty. And yes, before anyone starts, chord progressions are re-written all the time and some songs come out sounding similar, however, two songs can have exactly the same chords and sound completely different, the singing melody in the verses of both songs are almost identicle, along with the strumming pattern of guitars in both songs, and the rythem sections are also very similar, the only difference is lyrics and tempo.

You may also want to check that song for Johns rendition of Jimi Hendrix's riff for Purple Haze, John steals that for the first solo.

I only noticed the hendrix stuff in dani california.

ricky, snow (hey oh) is the best song on the album. the album is very much so the same ol' stuff.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I like it. I hate hate hate Dani California, so I can't even tell you why I decided to buy it, but I didn't regret it. Mars >>>>>>>>>>>>> Jupiter by the way. Even though Jupiter does have "Charlie" and "Wet Sand," which are probably the 2 best songs on the whole thing and 2 of the best songs they've ever done. But yeah, it probably should have been just a longish single album. They usually have about 16 songs per album anyway, and about half of Jupiter was filler, so if they just got rid of that and added most of Mars, they'd have a really good single-disc album.

And even though I hate Dani California, all the Tom Petty rip-off stuff is total bullshit. Hell, the fucking White Stripes had a part in "Fell in Love with a Girl" that was more like "Mary Jane's Last Dance" than the chord progression in Dani California.

The solo is a little similar to Purple Haze, but not a ripoff. And you gotta give Frusciante a little credit, because in the solo to "Hey," he comes closer to sounding like Hendrix than any man I've ever heard besides Hendrix himself.

mrconeman
08-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Hell, the fucking White Stripes had a part in "Fell in Love with a Girl" that was more like "Mary Jane's Last Dance" than the chord progression in Dani California.
The two songs still sound similar, no matter how many other songs sound even more similar.

And you gotta give Frusciante a little credit, because in the solo to "Hey," he comes closer to sounding like Hendrix than any man I've ever heard besides Hendrix himself.
You say that like its a compliment. Sounding like a guitarist, is a bad thing, no matter who it is. Letting your influences show is a great thing, I mean, theres nothing wrong with that, but totally copping someones style just isn't right.
John's a good player, and pretty unique these days, but lately he's sounding to much like Jimi to me on that album.

You also say that like sounding like Hendrix is any hard kind of feature. Hendrix was a great player no doubt, In the 1960's. He's still a very good player, but people act like he's fucking God himself, it's annoying as all hell, I could names scores of guitarists better than him in every way. Also if you think John is the best at sounding like Jimi, go listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn, thats a guy who took Jimi's influence and became a fucking awesome player, his covers of Jimi songs rule too.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
The two songs still sound similar, no matter how many other songs sound even more similar.Does that explain why everyone should be throwing a shit fit over it? No. It doesn't. And they shouldn't. Songs sound similar sometimes, oh noez.

You say that like its a compliment. Sounding like a guitarist, is a bad thing, no matter who it is. Letting your influences show is a great thing, I mean, theres nothing wrong with that, but totally copping someones style just isn't right.
John's a good player, and pretty unique these days, but lately he's sounding to much like Jimi to me on that album.

You also say that like sounding like Hendrix is any hard kind of feature. Hendrix was a great player no doubt, In the 1960's. He's still a very good player, but people act like he's fucking God himself, it's annoying as all hell, I could names scores of guitarists better than him in every way. Also if you think John is the best at sounding like Jimi, go listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn, thats a guy who took Jimi's influence and became a fucking awesome player, his covers of Jimi songs rule too.
Stevie Ray took Jimi's influence and sort of made his own style out of it. It isn't a style I particularly like, either.

But I like Jimi's, and Jimi IS the most influential guitarist of all time. So yeah, when John sounds exactly like him, he's just doing a better job of what people have been attempting for decades. And John normally does have his own style. The Hendrix guitar is an exception, even on Stadium Arcadium. Hell, in "She Looks To Me" he sounds much more like George Harrison. But normally he doesn't sound like anyone except John Frusciante.

mrconeman
08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Does that explain why everyone should be throwing a shit fit over it? No. It doesn't. And they shouldn't. Songs sound similar sometimes, oh noez.
There was no shit fit. I was just using it as another example I'm not fond of the album/song.

But I like Jimi's, and Jimi IS the most influential guitarist of all time. So yeah, when John sounds exactly like him, he's just doing a better job of what people have been attempting for decades
That doesn't make it any better of a thing to be doing, I find it ALOT more impressive when a player sounds like themselves and original. I know, he's doing a good job of sounding like him, but he's doing a good job of a thing I hold in very low regard. I also dont see guitarists as having tried to sound like Hendrix for decades either, he was extremely influencial, but I dont see many rip-off artists. I would probably have liked it alot more if John just did his own thing on the album.

But normally he doesn't sound like anyone except John Frusciante.
And that's the only thing I was getting at. Alot of the album (with exceptions obviously) He's trying to sound like Hendrix, and that annoyed me, because he's a good player when he's just being John.

All About Eve
08-25-2006, 12:51 PM
There's a Cars song that has almost the *exact* same chord progression as Want You Bad; can't remember which though.

Anyways, on terms of the cds, I haven't listened to too much of them. I can't seem to get into them.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-25-2006, 12:53 PM
I think it would be far worse if he were always confined to what has come to be known as "his style." I bet he's sick of it and I don't blame him. Everyone already knows he can play in his own John-Frusciante style. Why not mix it up every now and then?

And there was a huge shit fit over the Tom Petty thing. Not just you, but everyone. I was quite annoyed when that douchebag DJ played them together to demonstrate their similarity, and he even fucking doctored the Tom Petty song and sped it up to prove his weak point. Then he claimed that the tempo was the same in the two songs. Way, way, way too big a deal was made over the whole thing.

I can't believe I'm defending such a shitty song.

Corpse
08-26-2006, 02:22 AM
I could names scores of guitarists better than him in every way.
Go on then.

Whiplash
08-26-2006, 02:38 AM
I just love the album, I love every single song on both the cd's.

mrconeman
08-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Go on then.
Thought someone would ask that, and before I start, scores was obviously a bit over-stated, and this is MY OPINION, although in reference to technicallity, some of these guys are better than Hendrix, as fact. Some of them are better writers, some are better technitions (meaning faster/more fluid/more adapted at their instrument) Frankly Hendrix's technique was nothing specail whatsoever, his skill was more his writing.

Again this is all my opinion...

David Gilmour.
Randy Rhoads.
Eddie Van Halen.
Zakk Wylde.
Dave Murray.
Janick Gers.
Adriann Smith.
Steve Howe.
Every Classical guitarist ever.
Slash. (I know people will jump on me for this)
Glenn Tipton.
KK Downing.
Millions of players from other styles like flamenco, and acoustic slap/tapping.
Carlos Cavazo.
John Mcloughlin.
Tony Iommi.
Richie Sambora.
Steve Vai.
Ywngie Malmsteen. (Definatly only technically, I dont like this guy at all)
Jake E Lee.
Brad Gillis.

And many, many more. This was just off the top of my head, and I dont feel like going on I think I've made my point, however, there really are hundreds of better players out there.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-26-2006, 08:41 AM
You have a point on some of those, but RICHIE MOTHERFUCKNG SAMBORA??????

mrconeman
08-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Listen to a Bon Jovi song called Dry County...then proceed to eat your own words :)

Corpse
08-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Dude, all of them may (and probably are) be great guitarists. Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist. However, none of them are the best guitarists in the world. The fact is there is no 'best guitarist'. How can you actually say who is better out of someone like Hendrix and say someone from a classical genre. Sure, you can compare people similar, ie Noodles and Tom Delonge. The same genre, and everybody would say correctly, Noodles is better.

there really are hundreds of better players out there.
No. Yes, more people may be as good, but I would say that no-one is better than a long list of people including Hendrix, many of the people you said, and so on.

mrconeman
08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Dude, all of them may (and probably are) be great guitarists. Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist. However, none of them are the best guitarists in the world. The fact is there is no 'best guitarist'. How can you actually say who is better out of someone like Hendrix and say someone from a classical genre.

I never said any of them are the best, and yes you can compare guitarists from any genre to see who is better, as if you look, I did say it was my opinion, also from a technical standpoint (the way they play) you can compare any guitarist to anyone, and all that were named, (IMO) were better players.

No. Yes, more people may be as good, but I would say that no-one is better than a long list of people including Hendrix, many of the people you said, and so on.

Have you heard every guitar player on the planet?
For all you know some 18 year old Brazillian kid that plays flamenco acoustic guitar is better than any of them, which is why I stay away from saying the best guitarist, I was simply saying who was better than Hendrix.

barangatang
08-27-2006, 02:45 AM
David Gilmour.
Randy Rhoads.
Eddie Van Halen.
Zakk Wylde.
Dave Murray.
Janick Gers.
Adriann Smith.
Steve Howe.
Every Classical guitarist ever.
Glenn Tipton.
KK Downing.
Millions of players from other styles like flamenco, and acoustic slap/tapping.
Carlos Cavazo.
John Mcloughlin.
Tony Iommi.
Steve Vai.
Ywngie Malmsteen. (Definatly only technically, I dont like this guy at all)
Jake E Lee.
Brad Gillis.
Joe satriani
Frank zappa

There, I fixed your list for you.

All About Eve
08-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Props for adding Satriani, but you left off Petrucci.

JohnnyNemesis
08-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Even though it's on topic, I suggest you folks open up a separate thread to discuss the better guitar players and such, so that people who wanna discuss Stadium Arcadium can do so here (or in the older thread).

Corpse
08-27-2006, 11:53 AM
so that people who wanna discuss Stadium Arcadium can do so here (or in the older thread).

Which I believe is http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22132

JohnnyNemesis
08-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for that. I'll lock this one and encourage folks to use that one.

Here's the link again: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22132