PDA

View Full Version : Which "Big Four" Grunge band was the best?

Corrosion
08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are often regarded as the big four of the grunge genre. Who do you think was the best out of the four, and why?

I'm a huge fan of all the bands mentioned, but to me, Pearl Jam stands out the most.

-Fantastic, dark, deep lyrics
-Eddie Vedder's vocal range (Probably is one of the greatest vocalist I've ever heard)
-Brilliant instrument work by Gossard, Ament, McCready and Cameron.

Corpse
08-24-2006, 03:04 AM
Alice in Chains.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Pearl Jam for the musicianship and their ability to last beyond the genre. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden for the vocals. Nirvana for the nothing.

Llamas
08-24-2006, 10:33 AM
SOUND

GARDEN

I don't like the others.

coke_a_holic
08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Stone Temple Pilots?

offspring fan
08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Nirvana and Pearl Jam

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
It's a tie between Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden.

Llamas
08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
STP has a couple good songs. the melvins were great... but not very well known. I'm still going with soundgarden.

barangatang
08-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Alice in chains. I don't actually like any of their more "grundgy songs" I like the more soft, melodic ones like: Rotten apple, I stay away, Nutshell, Rooster and Heaven beside you.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
I stay away, Nutshell
Yes! Two of the greatest songs ever.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I Stay Away... I used to like it, but now I can't stand the harmonies in that song, they just get on my nerve.

Does anyone else agree that Layne's voice was best on Dirt?

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 01:22 PM
No, it was best on Jar of Flies, as was about everything else. Vocals don't get much better than "Nutshell."

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Nutshell is great, but didn't Jerry sing most of that song? It's been awhile since I've heard it, but I remember hearing some singing out of Jerry on Jar of Flies.

jacknife737
08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Nirvana hands down. I like the lyrics, music, everything. Pearl Jam gets boring after a while, i only really like the new album, and the song "do the evolution". Soundgarden doesn't really inspire me all that much. Alice in Chains is a decent band, i guess.

All About Eve
08-24-2006, 04:20 PM
The correct answer is Sponge.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 04:44 PM
The correct answer is Sponge.
Good band, but sadly they only had two hit songs and most people don't know whio they are.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Sponge is awesome, but really only Rotting Piņata and some of Wax Ecstatic are grunge. And the two songs from Rotting Piņata that people actually know are the only two on that album that aren't grunge.

Edit: And yes, Layne sang Nutshell.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Edit: And yes, Layne sang Nutshell.

Did Jerry sing some verses? It just doesn't sound like the Layne I know.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Sheesh, kid, it was fuckin' Layne. Not only is it Layne, it sounds like quintessential Layne, and I dare say Layne at his very best. On Jar of Flies, Jerry to my knowledge only sang sort of a dual lead with Layne on "No Excuses," and he may have sung part of "Swing on This," I don't remember.

DeAtHsTaR
08-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Sheesh, kid, it was fuckin' Layne. Not only is it Layne, it sounds like quintessential Layne, and I dare say Layne at his very best. On Jar of Flies, Jerry to my knowledge only sang sort of a dual lead with Layne on "No Excuses," and he may have sung part of "Swing on This," I don't remember.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different song.

Camilamazed
08-24-2006, 11:04 PM
AIC, awesome.
Pearl Jam, as well.
Sound garden, I rather Chris by himself.
Nirvana, I pass.
Stone temple pilots, yeah, they rock.
:)

Yatesy
08-25-2006, 09:28 AM
This is tough, it's definitely between Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Not saying I dislike Nirvana, they're just not as good. I'll go for Pearl Jam on the basis of them lasting longer and the song Evenflow alone.

panzor41
08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
When i think grunge i think Nirvana...grunge to me sounds kinda sloppy or deep like ugh, like Nirvana but in a good way....i dont know, i think its just because Nirvana was the only grunge band i was into....which is why i always see them as the definition of grunge.

JohnnyNemesis
08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
In terms of my preference (which means in terms of gospel truth), it goes Pearl Jam > Nirvana > Soundgarden = Stone Temple Pilots > Alice in Chains.

FUCK Alice in Chains.

And Nirvana is unbelievably overrated, but quite good.

RickyCrack
08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Grunge to me is like fucking a pile of mud.

DeAtHsTaR
08-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Grunge to me is like fucking a pile of mud.
So do you like it or not?

ninthlayer
08-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Grunge is for cutters (truth).

DeAtHsTaR
08-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Grunge is for cutters (truth).
This morning I told your mom to not let you online tonight.

CreaturesInside
08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Pearl Jam blows. Anyone who says Eddie Veder has a great voice hasn't listened to Alice In Chain's Dirt. Layne will destroy Eddie's vocals any day. Same goes for Chris Cornell... amazing vocals, amazing range.

In my opinion, Pearl Jam isn't even a grunge band. They're a crappy, glorified rock band from seattle.

Nirvana will always have a special place in my heart. And whenever I listen to songs (that aren't singles), it makes me remember how brilliant and prolific a songwritter Kurt was.

Nirvana wins with Alice in Chains in a close second.

Oh. P.S.- None of you people know what you're talking about. Jerry Cantrell wrote pretty much EVERY AiC song. Layne sang all of them with Cantrell doing the harmony singing (on pretty much every song)... which is what gave AiC such a distinctive sound.

mrconeman
08-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Pearl Jam - Pretty cool

Nirvana - Good enough, decent

Stone Temple Pilots - I can listen to them occasionaly

Alice In Chains - Huge meh fest. Thier guitars sound like death.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Oh. P.S.- None of you people know what you're talking about. Jerry Cantrell wrote pretty much EVERY AiC song. Layne sang all of them with Cantrell doing the harmony singing (on pretty much every song)... which is what gave AiC such a distinctive sound.
When the fuck was anyone talking about their writing? No shit Cantrell was the primary songwriter. That was never disputed.

I agree that Cornell and Staley were both more talented singers than Vedder, but Pearl Jam is probably the best band of the 4. Even though I am on a huge Alice in Chains kick lately. P.S., being a "glorified rock band" is by definition better than being a "grunge" band.

DeAtHsTaR
08-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Pearl Jam - Pretty cool

Nirvana - Good enough, decent

Stone Temple Pilots - I can listen to them occasionaly

Alice In Chains - Huge meh fest. Thier guitars sound like death.
You forgot Soundgarden.

ninthlayer
08-28-2006, 11:57 AM
This morning I told your mom to not let you online tonight.
That wasn't weak in the slightest.

mrconeman
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
You forgot Soundgarden.
That was on purpose.