PDA

View Full Version : Hitler restaurant opens in Mumbai.

Vera
08-24-2006, 03:00 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/08/23/hitler-eatery.html

sanni. sanoo:
i must be awful but i'm totally cracking up reading about the hitler restaraunt in mumbai
jhana sanoo:
dont worry. after your "jews" LJ icon.. * I get that you're humor is slightly twisted.
sanni. sanoo:
no, that icon was based on a true event. :p
sanni. sanoo:
but it's just funny to me, because i don't think the indians get it, AT ALL. it's like rani's hitler quote [a bollywood actress quoted saying hitler is her idol]... to us it's like "WTF are you saying!?!?" but to them it's like "oh yes. very big leader! i can serve samosas in his name!"
jhana sanoo:
lmao

* The icon she's talking about:

http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/38821511/564418

Not taking this seriously for a while - ROFLMAO.

Seriously speaking, though, I think it's an incredible and interesting show of ignorance. But just like we might not have heard the names of some African despots who've slaughtered incredible amounts of people, Holocaust awareness is not really wide in India where there are only around 5,000 Jews. That's literally not even the smallest fraction of their entire population. So in India, Hitler is just some leader of a Western country.

After having watched quite a lot of Indian films, it's interesting to see how often they joke about Hitler. They refer to him as this really strict leader who controls everything, kind of like we use the word Nazi ("My mum's a total Nazi in the kitchen." or "That new English teacher is a complete Nazi with homework being done.")

A quote from a recent Bollywood movie: "You're less of a friend and more of a Hitler."

I don't think such ignorance can be excused, but it's still fascinating to me.

JoY
08-24-2006, 03:15 AM
if they aren't aware & don't have knowledge of the character, his part & his role in history, then how are they supposed to be NOT ignorant? ignorance is something you almost choose to be; something's right there in front of you, but you choose to not know everything there's to it.

they've never experienced anything that has to do with Hitler, obviously no one has taught them the details... it's not so much knowledge they don't choose to suck up & process, but knowledge they seem to entirely lack. so I'd say it's more naive than ignorant. & the word "naive" seriously has a cuteness factor to it. a positive factor, because they don't have to know what horrors went on here over 60 years ago.

seeing a chunk of their population is Jewish & they don't associate Hitler with exterminating Jews, I think their attitude has some beauty to it. they have Jews amongst them, they know Hitler's name, but they don't see the connection between Jews, Hitler & racism. like they've been spared all that hatred & can't even imagine someone would hate Jews in a quatity, he'd try to wipe them away from the face of the earth.

it's most definitely fascinating. after all your Bollywood talk, I've decided I'd like to seem some of that. just interest. but now you've said this, I totally want to see some Bollywood. it's not exactly popular here. I can honestly say I haven't even ever ran into films like that.

wheelchairman
08-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Of course their ignorance is excusable. I mean wtf? No man can know everything, people will retain what is most important and relevant to them. In a country of a billion, there are 5000 jews. That would be the equivalent of having 25 jews in Denmark. Move Denmark to southeast asia, then we probably wouldn't give a fuck either.

So no, ignorance is not a choice. It's a part of everyone, you can't blame someone for their ignorance when you are equally as ignorant as the same person. That's just petty self-righteousness.

Bella you're acting as though India is this cute little country which has no experience of bloodshed and can't comprehend racism. Just because they don't care about European anti-semitism (and most don't really have a need to), doesn't mean they are naive, or even particularly ignorant.

Vera
08-24-2006, 03:33 AM
I know one Dutchie off this Bollywood board I go to. Your country does apparently get *some* movies, but they are rare occasions.. Anyway, I'll ask her about any rental places or theatres that might show these films and get back to you with info.

Well, Jews are a tiny minority in India. 5,500 in over a billion people. Illiteracy is really high, as well, so it's kind of no wonder... But from our perspective it's of course incredible.

I wonder who would be the "most evil person ever" if we asked Indians.

JoY
08-24-2006, 03:52 AM
but then I wouldn't call it ignorance, but naiveness. they don't know about European anti-semitism & they don't have to. the first thing that came to mind realising that was, "hey, that's pretty cute". that's what I said - nothing more, nothing less. not that India is a cute little country never exposed to hatred & racism, but what I thought reading her post. that isn't anything factual, or rational, it's just a thing that came to mind. I didn't say they don't comprehend racism, I said they don't associate Jews & Hitler combined with anti-semitism.

Sanni, thanks. =) I'd appreciate that.

wheelchairman
08-24-2006, 03:58 AM
Then perhaps you should work on phrasing. Stuff like:

ignorance is something you almost choose to be; something's right there in front of you, but you choose to not know everything there's to it.
Saying that they choose their ignorance

and

can't even imagine someone would hate Jews in a quatity, he'd try to wipe them away from the face of the earth.

Which seemed to imply that they couldn't understand racism.

It comes off slightly condescending and I know you aren't that posh (:p) so sometimes it's a matter on phrasing what you actually mean to say in English.

Sin Studly
08-24-2006, 05:45 AM
I still don't get how Hitler became the most evil person ever when there were people like Idi Amin and Pol Pot out there.

Vera
08-24-2006, 06:29 AM
The majority will most probably answer "Hitler" when asked, which is what I meant.

JoY
08-24-2006, 06:33 AM
I probably should. I get into these kinds of discussions a lot lately, having to explain myself in a complicated way, when what I meant was relatively real damn simple.

Edit: & when talking about ignorance, I was talking about it in general. not about Bollywood movies, or anything related to Bollywood movies. it's often the thing you're confronted with the most, that you would rather not even know about, you choose to be ignorant about. that's what I meant, that that's real ignorance to me.

Sin Studly
08-24-2006, 06:53 AM
The majority will most probably answer "Hitler" when asked, which is what I meant.

Oh yes, I know what you meant. Hitler is undeniably "the most evil man to ever have existed anywhere, ever". I'm just wondering aloud why that is? I mean, I love Hitler and all, but even I have to admit he's over-rated :(.

Little_Miss_1565
08-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Part of me wonders if it's the use of the swastika that causes this bizarre disconnect of reality in India--the swastika is a very important and auspicious Hindu symbol. Then the other part of me is like how can you not fucking know?!

I still don't get how Hitler became the most evil person ever when there were people like Idi Amin and Pol Pot out there.

Far as I know, Idi Amin and Pol Pot didn't invade all of Europe. History doesn't care unless white people are involved--sad fact.

Sin Studly
08-24-2006, 07:42 AM
How's about Julius Caeser? Alexander the Great? Genghis Khan?

Little_Miss_1565
08-24-2006, 07:44 AM
How's about Julius Caeser? Alexander the Great? Genghis Khan?

White, white, and story brought to white people by white people with the yellow fever.

Sin Studly
08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
........ uh.... what?

I'm asking why they aren't considered the most evil men in history, since they pwned the shit of white people and aren't even white themselves.

Vera
08-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Because Hitler is recent, Nazis documented everything, and we love them Jews.

Little_Miss_1565
08-24-2006, 07:55 AM
........ uh.... what?

I'm asking why they aren't considered the most evil men in history, since they pwned the shit of white people and aren't even white themselves.

Evolution of time. Can I mention again how I think it's hilarious that a part-Maori 'mudblood' likes white supremacy?

Sin Studly
08-24-2006, 08:03 AM
I thought nobody loved the Jews until after Hitler? And Ratko Mladic certainly beats Hitler on the time-scale. It seems so unfair to be hatin' on a man for having a decent beurocracy ; especially after a trip to the DMV.

And Sarah ; I'm not a white supremacist ;)

Not Ozymandias
08-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I've actually had this fantasy for years of opening a chain of Jewish delicatessans in America called Mein Kampf's just for the absurdist comedy value of it. That's the kind of stuff I would do with my time if I was a billionaire.

Sin Studly
08-24-2006, 11:22 PM
I've fantasised about opening a Holocaust theme park.

Vera
08-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Renamed: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14498419/?GT1=8404

Tigger Army
08-25-2006, 08:14 AM
if they aren't aware & don't have knowledge of the character, his part & his role in history, then how are they supposed to be NOT ignorant? ignorance is something you almost choose to be; something's right there in front of you, but you choose to not know everything there's to it.

they've never experienced anything that has to do with Hitler, obviously no one has taught them the details... it's not so much knowledge they don't choose to suck up & process, but knowledge they seem to entirely lack. so I'd say it's more naive than ignorant. & the word "naive" seriously has a cuteness factor to it. a positive factor, because they don't have to know what horrors went on here over 60 years ago.

Well don't most europeans do the same with Mao Zedong/Tse Tsung and to some degree Stalin? Both killed a lot more people than mister Hitler but how many europeans are REALLY aware of that?

Sin Studly
08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Since when is bodycount alone a gauge of evil? It's simply a gauge of successful evil.