PDA

View Full Version : PC or MC?

Noodles
12-19-2004, 10:08 PM
What's worse; the political correctness of the nineties, or the newly risen moral correctness?
Just curious what you all think.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-19-2004, 10:15 PM
definitely the MC now. people seem to be more concerned with what is going on with other people's lives ( such as abortion and same-sex marriages), and that's what they mostly based their vote on in the election. sure, there was economic problem and of course iraq, but at the end of the day, voters were more concerned if the candidate had the same moral and religious beliefs. so much for separation of church and state....

nitropenguin!
12-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Good question.
I'd have to say... MC. No one wants their beliefs or choices held back, PC may control what an individual should wear or say but MC has to do with actions (ex: resorting to abortion maybe). Can't really cover much on that topic. I'd like to know what you think, Noodles :)

leo3375
12-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Definitely MC. Granted, political correctness got way out of hand (at least until "South Park" came along), but moral correctness has got to end. Stop shoving your beliefs down my throat! Get your religions out of my school (or at least let all religions be includedóhow can you have a holiday pageant with the story of Hanukah, Kwanzaa, and something with Santa Claus but exclude the Nativity?), don't tell me what I can or cannot do to my embryo, and don't tell me who I can or cannot marry!

EDIT: Ace topic!

SicN Twisted
12-19-2004, 10:53 PM
MC is worse, but PC is definately more annoying, and has more influence.

nitropenguin!
12-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah definitely, PC takes away the aspects that makes you you. All out of need for a society to be more organized. Pretty much everyone is thinking MC has to be worse though.

Jojan
12-19-2004, 11:41 PM
What is PC and what is MC?

SicN Twisted
12-20-2004, 12:01 AM
Read the topic you idiot.

Are you one of those morons that was defending Wicca?

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Agreed, PC is irritating, but I don't think it actively constrains a person. Unless you're a men's soccer team complaining about how your school won't buy your cleats anymore because they have to give money to the women's soccer team too, or don't like calling little people "vertically challenged." MC is much more dangerous, and I feel is a big indicator of deep-seated psychological issues. Come on, writing evolution out of biology textbooks because it could pose a challenge to creationism?! This is absolute insanity. We're supposedly fighting fundamentalism abroad and cultivating it at home.

Slightly related, I think that many conservative members of the Senate spend more time thinking about anal sex and people having anal sex than most gay men do, and yet it's the gays getting persecuted. Who was it that had that theory of projection?

Moral correctness has made me keep up on my Bible reading, though. Whenever someone talks about how we're supposed to do x, y, and z because the Bible dictates morals, I counter with something from Numbers or Deuteronomy about how if a woman's husband dies and her husband's brother won't marry her, she can stone him to death. And whatever happened to Cities of Refuge, anyway?

meaning_of_life
12-20-2004, 12:44 AM
i agree with sicNtwisted. MC is worse, but political correctness is just a joke these days. lawyers suing for anything and everything, and a recent example is how in australia christmas has been cancelled in some schools due to respect other religions. the world is going crazy with this sort of thing

T-6005
12-20-2004, 01:36 AM
I would have to say MC. It seems to me that morals should be conclusions reached by oneself, not set into place by an authority. They are personal choices, and where they do not interfere with the workings of society they should remain that way. The current political mindset has taken these issues out of people's personal choices and made them broader, making it necessary for people who believe in something to stand up for that belief if they wish to be able to act upon it freely.

The Talking Pie
12-20-2004, 04:30 AM
Heh, and I thought this was a PC vs. Mac thread from the title...

PC for me. It's more pointless.

RXP
12-20-2004, 05:18 AM
Unless you're a men's soccer team complaining about how your school won't buy your cleats anymore

WTF, called football boots we're not cyclists!

RXP
12-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Also I have to say this is the first time I've encountered MC but it is indeed true I put MC = PC in my head but a different form. But MC is correct indeed but usually morality gets blured into law/politics because that's what law/politics is the morality of the time.

wheelchairman
12-20-2004, 07:55 AM
The Judeo-Christian morality is a pretty awful system enforced anywhere, definitely more against it than Political Correctness. Which is getting rarer and rarer, and which was only an annoyance, like that spot on your back you can't reach.

Vera
12-20-2004, 08:45 AM
PC is sort of a laugh, really.

So I'll answer MC.

Noodles is gay
12-20-2004, 09:47 AM
We should just revert to the ancient Greek way :D

If you don't know what that is then go see Alexander the great film. Unless it hasn't come out where you are, in which case use google.

wheelchairman
12-20-2004, 09:58 AM
That all Greeks are homosexuals?

I despise Greeks for completely unrelated reasons.
They should be split up between Turkey and Macedonia.

Noodles is gay
12-20-2004, 10:13 AM
That all Greeks are homosexuals?

I despise Greeks for completely unrelated reasons.
They should be split up between Turkey and Macedonia.

Yup, not that we should all be homosexuals but that it should be ok if people want to. And also just their whole outlook on life, such as their uber fun drinking parties for example, and their attitude to theatre.

You despise ancient or modern Greeks?

Modern is completely understandable, however no one could every hate the ancients, they were brilliant. :D

wheelchairman
12-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Aside from the fact that they were slave-holding elitists, they were cool.

Talk to any young greek today though, and you'll find a bizarre nationalism. Almost as though they feel their penises have shrunk a few inches because they no longer are an empire, or meaningful in any way.

Noodles is gay
12-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Aside from the fact that they were slave-holding elitists, they were cool.

Talk to any young greek today though, and you'll find a bizarre nationalism. Almost as though they feel their penises have shrunk a few inches because they no longer are an empire, or meaningful in any way.

They weren't as elitist as the Romans though.

Itís rather sad really, poor them. We Brits have also lost an empire however, most today probably donít even know how to spell empire not to mention know we had one.

wheelchairman
12-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah Brits seem to have accepted that they are no longer an empire. Not like the Greeks, still fighting over Cyprus and caring about Macedonia. Ugh I just despise that entire nation.

It's odd how quickly the Brits decided to drop their guns and follow America. If they gave up Northern Ireland and gave Scotland independence, they would have no real claims to being an imperialist nation. Just the lacky of an imperialist nation.

Izie
12-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Yeah Brits seem to have accepted that they are no longer an empire. Not like the Greeks, still fighting over Cyprus and caring about Macedonia. Ugh I just despise that entire nation.

I'd honestly like to talk to you more about nationalism issues, not in any one land particularly, but as a phenomenon. With practical examples, naturally.

wheelchairman
12-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Sure it's a rather complicated issue, make a topic or pm me whenever you feel like it.

Izie
12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Prolly PM, but not now, I gotta go :/
And I'm just generally interested in other people's views, since nationalism seems to be much wider spread than I originally thought. Or just more than I was taught. And we were taught a lot about it.
Anyhoo, I'll stop ruining the topic now.

SicN Twisted
12-20-2004, 11:21 AM
It's not really nationalisism, it's cultural elitism. By culture, I mean getting drunk and acting rowdy.

Vera
12-20-2004, 11:43 AM
By culture, I mean getting drunk and acting rowdy.
Hello, Finland?

;p

Just kidding.

SicN Twisted
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Vera, you can get as drunk as you want with or without your culture defending it.

Vera
12-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Clearly someone has no idea about the Finnish drinking culture.

SicN Twisted
12-20-2004, 12:43 PM
I know that you drink rediculous amounts of coffee. Don't you have a world record or something? I also know that drunks aren't taken too kindly to, Finns prefer getting wired off their asses with insane levels of caffein.

Vera
12-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, we are the coffee nation. I prefer tea myself. And cola drinks, but hey, that's a whole 'nother addiction.

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Finns prefer getting wired off their asses with insane levels of caffein.

No wonder you like the Descendents so much, Vera! ;)

noodler
12-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Ive neevr really thoguht political-correctness was a bad thing. sure sum ppl can overdo it. but whats simply PC to one guy can be the enfocement of another man's human rights.

moral corectness?

now i live in dublin so maybe whatever u meant hasnt hit us yet or whateevr. but iv always thought that, by definition, moral correctness was a good thing. examples sum1 here used are same sex marraiges which are simply basic human rights in the people in question's opinion.

what i hate right now is propganda and the way that no matter how much ppl here, for example, that bush is bad or he lied or whatever. it can't have the same impact becos everyone is saying it and ppl feel quite happy to not do anything becos they can rest assured that many things are blown out of proportion by the media and therefore bush lied or whatever just can have the same impact on ppl as it might have.

Only an example by the way dont wanna upset any of u yanks.

plastic_letterz
12-20-2004, 09:12 PM
MC is worse. Its funny how our government was created with the idea of seperation of church and state yet today our "leaders" are basing certain desicions on religious belief.

GreenTerror
12-20-2004, 09:47 PM
MC is worse. Its funny how our government was created with the idea of seperation of church and state yet today our "leaders" are basing certain desicions on religious belief.
That's true. And to think, they keep schools away from religion. Damn hypocrites.

RonWelty
12-21-2004, 02:43 AM
PC rullez ... īm a great clinton fan so ...look to the french ..did not their government "created a law" to stop ppl ( mostly womans) to wear that thing that covers all of his head ,usual in arabian religions ...forgot its name!

T-6005
12-21-2004, 08:16 AM
PC rullez ... īm a great clinton fan so ...look to the french ..did not their government "created a law" to stop ppl ( mostly womans) to wear that thing that covers all of his head ,usual in arabian religions ...forgot its name!

Big debate that... It's about keeping secularism in public institutions versus the right of an individual to proclaim themselves a member of a group... I agree with the state on that one though.

Vera
12-21-2004, 09:30 AM
No wonder you like the Descendents so much, Vera! ;)
Oh, sorry, I never told you, did I? I'm Milo's secret Finnish lovechild.

noodler
12-21-2004, 06:43 PM
altho i agree with the french state's idea of secularism i have to say that if i practiced catholicism as much as i should or actually wore a cross etc more often then i might not be so ready to agree.

these guys wear. their veils everyday while i am a catholic in name only.

plastic_letterz
12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
That's true. And to think, they keep schools away from religion. Damn hypocrites.

yea even in school there's teh pledge of alligence ".....One nation under GOD"
You can tell America favors christianty...like teh dollar bill.... "In God we trust", even in court...aren't you suppose to put ur hand on the bible and say your gonna tell the truth?? Im not sure but I think thats how its done.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 08:07 PM
You can tell America favors christianty...like teh dollar bill.... "In God we trust", even in court...aren't you suppose to put ur hand on the bible and say your gonna tell the truth?? Im not sure but I think thats how its done.
Those are all superfluous things, when we start making laws and deciding actions according to the bible, is where the line needs to be drawn.

sKratch
12-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Ive neevr really thoguht political-correctness was a bad thing. sure sum ppl can overdo it. but whats simply PC to one guy can be the enfocement of another man's human rights.

moral corectness?

now i live in dublin so maybe whatever u meant hasnt hit us yet or whateevr. but iv always thought that, by definition, moral correctness was a good thing. examples sum1 here used are same sex marraiges which are simply basic human rights in the people in question's opinion.

what i hate right now is propganda and the way that no matter how much ppl here, for example, that bush is bad or he lied or whatever. it can't have the same impact becos everyone is saying it and ppl feel quite happy to not do anything becos they can rest assured that many things are blown out of proportion by the media and therefore bush lied or whatever just can have the same impact on ppl as it might have.

Only an example by the way dont wanna upset any of u yanks.
I have no idea what you just tried to say.

shatskater
12-21-2004, 11:25 PM
yay go noodles. ur one of my guitar inspirations. along with johnny ramone

Noodles
12-21-2004, 11:32 PM
They don't make you put your hand on the Bible in court, at least not anymore. They just make you raise your right hand and swear an oath to tell the truth.

The phrase "under God" was not added to the Pledge until the 1950's. Probably in response to those godless commies that have always been such a threat to the US.

It does say "In God We Trust" on the dollar bill, but there is also that strange pyramid with the eye over it, "New World Order" written under it in Latin and "Annuit Coeptis (he [God?] has smiled on our undertakings)" above it. That is all from the reverse side of the Great American Seal. But where does that all come from? Some Masonic shit if you ask me.

PC seemed to me to be very anti-violent, whereas MC might spur more gay bashing and doctor shooting. It certainly adds to that fire without trying to caution against such violence.

The MC crowd sure aren't the ones coming out against the war in Iraq.

shatskater
12-21-2004, 11:34 PM
I don't agree in the fact that god has to be with the government. I am for seperation of state and church but we can't do that becuase all the damn bickering from the bible-thumping church goers. (not any direct religion)

Betty
12-21-2004, 11:40 PM
I just saw the movie National Treasure (and really liked it) and it was all about those bizarre symbols on the money and the Masons and all that. Funny that you mentionned it.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
12-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Someone in the AFI board started a thread about PC and MC. I think in a sense both are ridiculous. either way, people are just looking for a reason to be pissed off about something. People just seem to want something to bitch about nowadays...*sigh*

Tired_Of_You
12-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I just saw the movie National Treasure (and really liked it) and it was all about those bizarre symbols on the money and the Masons and all that. Funny that you mentionned it.

And I read a book not a long time ago where there was a part devoted to those symbols. Haha. Kinda funny.

GreenTerror
12-21-2004, 11:54 PM
That is true. Wow, I never actually thought of that before until now. But the reason they won't cange the pledge of allegiance is because of all the "Founding Fathers'" crap, and Christians. But at least they don't make you say it if you don't want to, but still, it does state in the constution that Church is to be seperate form the state (The first Ammendment?).

GreenTerror
12-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I think I'm wrong, I guess I should have payed attention in that damn civics class :o

sKratch
12-22-2004, 01:37 AM
Gah are you kidding? That movie was terrible. Hi, I'm average Joe and I'm going to steal the Declaration of Independence!

plastic_letterz
12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
They don't make you put your hand on the Bible in court, at least not anymore. They just make you raise your right hand and swear an oath to tell the truth.

The phrase "under God" was not added to the Pledge until the 1950's. Probably in response to those godless commies that have always been such a threat to the US.

It does say "In God We Trust" on the dollar bill, but there is also that strange pyramid with the eye over it, "New World Order" written under it in Latin and "Annuit Coeptis (he [God?] has smiled on our undertakings)" above it. That is all from the reverse side of the Great American Seal. But where does that all come from? Some Masonic shit if you ask me.

PC seemed to me to be very anti-violent, whereas MC might spur more gay bashing and doctor shooting. It certainly adds to that fire without trying to caution against such violence.

The MC crowd sure aren't the ones coming out against the war in Iraq.

wow you know alot about stuff
I think I got the bible thing from some old movie...My mind is in a different time period. Anyway it does seem as if thouh MC brings gay bashing..which sucks. I dont really see much of it around here where I live but when you go to the suburbs...its different but thast a different story.

leo3375
12-22-2004, 04:23 PM

Yes, I agree 100%. Even though political-correctness got out of hand, i.e. Deleting "racist" scenes from old cartoons instead of using a disclaimer stating why the content could be considered offensive, moral-correctness may very well send us back to the Victorian era, culturally speaking.

plastic_letterz
12-22-2004, 04:26 PM
I think I'm wrong, I guess I should have payed attention in that damn civics class :o
Yea I think its the first amendment beacsue I think they talk about the establishment clause and the free exercise clause.

greencows12
12-29-2004, 05:07 PM
the moral correctness is worse. it's all bullshit.

Telekinesis
05-10-2005, 01:46 AM
America is a weird country. Just felt like saying it.

brothadave79
05-10-2005, 08:05 AM
PC is just flat-out retarded.

Moral Correctness, though, is a strange one. Both sides on any issue obviously believe that they're right, and therefore moral. Most people don't claim to be amoral in their own positions, because that makes them inherently wrong. So Moral Correctness isn't necessarily a bad thing, but is it so moral to force ideas on someone, whether you're for something or against. I'm fully aware that liberals are just as capable of this practice as conservatives, and both are nuisances when they do it. "Is there a universal set of morals? Of course there are - the ones I believe in."

wheelchairman
05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
There is nothing good about moral correctness.

People who believe they have moral authority, wish to use this authority to make others submissive. The powers that be in America (Bush's government) are forcing reactionary moral values to solidify their power.

A universal set of morals was unheard of until about the time of monotheistic religion (thus, as justification of a higher being, he instilled within all of us, a set of morals as a form of self-government. And this is proof of a God, because we all have the same morals.) Different philosophers have come in on a universal set of morals. I believe Kant did as well.

I simply find the idea absurd, and believe morality should not be a part of government, in any form.

brothadave79
05-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I simply find the idea absurd, and believe morality should not be a part of government, in any form.

Well you must believe that laws are a necessity as long as there's government. Without them, government is pointless. And laws are morality on a certain level, because they dictate that certain actions are wrong and need to be punished.

voodoomagik
05-10-2005, 11:21 AM
What's worse; the political correctness of the nineties, or the newly risen moral correctness?
People nowadays tend to focus on the MC because they feel the need to be protected. Because thatís what they need, protection, the assurance that all that they represent will still exist tomorrow. People place their votes on the candidate that has the same religious orientation as they do and that says a lot. Bush is the perfect example: a stand-up Baptist who has never read a book in his life but still he became president. And most of the Americans love Bush although they criticize him, but thatís another story.
People will always choose the one who shares their beliefs, although another one has proven to be a great politician. Because that good politician will one day realize that the factory Iím working in (Iím not really working in a factory!!! :D) isnít useful and he will not hesitate to leave all the workers without a job just for the governmentís well-being. ďWe need a leader who was one of us, who knows what we go through everydayĒ think the workers.(pretty fucked-up example but blah!)
But the strange thing is that you can easily get fooled today when you place your vote because being a very good politician means adapting to all situations, so thatís how chameleons appear in the scene.
The masons stand behind the MC because there will always be a radical cold-blooded politician that will not agree with their ways. There has to be.
Mc or Pc? Tough question but I think Iíll go with the second one because itís the only one itís 100% pure, without acting or faking.

wheelchairman
05-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Well you must believe that laws are a necessity as long as there's government. Without them, government is pointless. And laws are morality on a certain level, because they dictate that certain actions are wrong and need to be punished.
Laws are pragmatic, not moral. I would envision a radically different legal system, if I could make reforms. Simply because the one we have today, is based on a moral of the rich. When we need a law of the masses.

Although I re-iterate, morality doesn't belong in government. You can't outlaw something for the sole reason that it is 'wrong.' Should anyone try, I would stand against it.

ASP
05-10-2005, 02:40 PM
The moral correctness. I don't think I have to say anything about that, but I will add that you are my favorite guitarist. I can't wait to see you in concert at Charolette.

Lithuanian Offspring
05-16-2005, 12:57 PM
What is PC and what is MC?
Personal Computer or MaCintosh

Lithuanian Offspring
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I think it's all just some sick way for people to control other people. PC controls what you do or say as does MC so in a sense it's the same bullshit. These things are created by people with no lives what so ever. So my message would be.. GET A LIFE YOU NOSY PRICKS!!!