PDA

View Full Version : Does it ever happen to you..

JoY
08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
..you pick up a stimulus you used to avoid, because it reminded you of something you're done with, but suddenly it forces itself on you - a song, a spot, a place, a face, a person - & you sink away in the past being in the present & it becomes so mixed up - the setting & context - that you suddenly realise no one but you EVER stopped, listening that same song, seeing that same face, or recognising that same spot & that you've been the only one having that particular thing locked in their memory attached to a certain thing? like you're on the street & everyone is walking past you, but you're the only one standing still right in the middle of that street. or like two persons are listening to the same song & they both hear a completely different song.

just now my roommate put on a song, that isn't extremely popular, or well known in the Netherlands. immediately I sang along, like the last time I sang along with it was yesterday. but the context & setting has changed so much since then, my thoughts about the past didn't fit in the present. it's like I've successfully moved on, but some things can trigger the past to be brought back, like nothing's ever changed. but things have changed & it's strange something that's barely five years ago can be so out of place in the present.

memories is weird shit.

Tigger Army
08-25-2006, 09:08 AM
*guess mode*leaving on a jet plane*/guess mode*

It's not exactly unknown that songs and locations can get linked VERY strongly to a person/situation.

And yes I think of people and stuff when I listen to old songs or visite places I haven't seen in a long time. Haven't done that much recently though.

nieh
08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Have you ever walked through a room
But it was more like the room passed around you
Like there was a leash around your neck that pulled you through

That doesn't really happen to me. I think about the past, things that have happened, people I used to know almost every day so it's very rare for it to build up to the point where I get a huge flood of old thoughts rushing to my head from some trigger like that. That being said, I know it's happened to me before but I can't remember what caused it.

Preocupado
08-25-2006, 09:51 AM
A few years back when i was going insane, i used to smoke pot listening to Pink Floyd.

Yesterday i went for a Pink Floyd audio site (http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/echoes/) to see what was that about and, just as Comfortably Numb started, those frightening feelings immediately tried to flood me. This time it was ok, though. I even got some tabs to play the songs myself.

Yeah, the insanity is still there, it's just that now my energy isn't going that way anymore. Can be done, but it doesn't have to go there anymore. Thank Raptor Jesus.

JoY
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Preocupado: yes! I mean, the memories weren't exactly okay, in the sense they'd normally be quite frightning & saddening, but I was really very okay with it, because it's something that's truly behind me. the fact I've moved on to a point, that past doesn't even fit in this present anymore - that must've surprised me the most. that those memories flooded me & I felt okay thinking back to it, being somewhere else for the moment than at the place, time & circumstances my roommate was.

*le sigh* I don't even know how to describe it. it was just weird, because I entered my roommate's room & asked her to turn up the volume, because it once was my favorite song. without even considering the memories it would bring up could possibly be frightning, or saddening. & I wasn't trying to confront myself with it, I wasn't trying to bring emotions back to life, I honestly wanted to hear the song for the song. even though there are so many memories attached to it.

Micha! excellent guess mode you have. but actually I wasn't hoping anyone would guess what I was talking about, because I just wanted to describe the feeling & see if anyone could relate. I'm not surprised you know what I'm talking about, though, although it would've been well possible you'd forgotten all about it.

funnily, I couldn't remember the verse I used to sing. even when I tried, it was almost like it was new to me.

memories can force themselves on you & drag you under in emotions & all that crap. but this wasn't like that. I can't put my finger on it. any way, I'm not surprised you can relate, either. we were always like that. *smiles & a certain thing comes to mind*

Preocupado
08-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Iit was a totally relate experience thread! The funny thing is that it only hit me about how the Comfortably Numb's lyrics relates to the thread when you wrote "i can't put my finger on it".

I mean, i always knew what the lyrics meant, but this relation is particularly awesome.

0r4ng3
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Have you ever been at some place
Recognizing everybody's face until
you realized that there was no one there you knew

Hey, he started it.

Anyway, to my point. Yes, that kind of thing has happened to me a few times, especially when it comes to songs that I listened to years ago. Though, I used to think it was just nostalgia.

JoY
08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
but nostalgia would overflow you with feelings & emotions linked to that certain event/thing/person/whatever, no? it reminded me of something in the past, but the despare I used to feel was now some strange feeling of peacefullness.

oh wait, nevermind. I think I just described it just fine. although I'm still not sure if this is exactly what I meant. *scratches head*

Edit: no, that isn't what I originally meant. although what I said in this post is also true & surprising.

Nina
08-25-2006, 01:11 PM
That happens to me a lot. I have that very often with music and scents.

JoY
08-25-2006, 01:20 PM
I mean, I'm very muchly used to suddenly getting stuck in thoughts, daydreams, memories, fantasies, et cetera. but I'm not used to viewing this thing in particular in a way, that I view it as frightning & saddening, but that it doesn't MAKE me frightened, or sad. maybe it's just that I'm over it & that all this time I've thought I was over it, when in fact THIS is being over it.

that almost comes straight from a conversation with Ricky, because talking to him always sorts me out. ;p <3

arak0r
08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
you are a very confused little girl arent you :o

All About Eve
08-25-2006, 01:44 PM
It's probably just a strong trigger of a memory strong enough so that you remember your emotions, not just the events. I have a couple things like that.

arak0r
08-25-2006, 01:45 PM
oh, and id like to point out, that anyone whose talked to you enough should have been able to guess the song :p

JoY
08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
NEWSFLASH!

no, not so much. not all the time. just now, today, I was confused. because I thought the memory itself would hurt me, but all I remembered is how much it used to hurt me, being peacefull about it.

I'm still scared some things from the past will invade the present, though. it's like I'm fine with what's in the past, but like I don't want to relive it if my life depended on it. which is pretty logical. so in a VERY twisted way.. I make sense.

Whiplash
08-25-2006, 02:06 PM
I have the same exact thing:

Last summer i went out to buy the RHCP cd(Live in hyde park).
It was a very sunny day, I had that cd in my diskman all summer. Now every time i listen to that cd i start to think about that and the times i listend to that cd while cycling to work, and every time i hear the cd i think of the summer and i get all happy inside.

Very strange..

killer_queen
08-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Mmmm, yes. Songs, places and especially smells.

Everytime I smell Ice Tea with peach I go back to a few years ago. And all those things I lived that year. My first "love", my first real friends and lots of other my firsts. Which makes me feels old. And sad because I don't have them anymore.

Or.. everytime I hear that song from Monkey Island. It just creeps me out. My brother and I used to love that game and watching my brother while he was playing computer games was a big part of my life.

And yeah, that song makes me amazingly sad too. It after all, reminds me my childhood. And I'm not a child anymore. I can't just ignore things.

Although most of the memories make me sad I can't give them up. I live with my past, it's more important than my future.

arak0r
08-25-2006, 02:54 PM
id like to point out, that even though i never really listened to oasis in high school back in the day, every time i hear them i still think of high school :|

JoY
08-25-2006, 03:40 PM
I have the same exact thing:

Last summer i went out to buy the RHCP cd(Live in hyde park).
It was a very sunny day, I had that cd in my diskman all summer. Now every time i listen to that cd i start to think about that and the times i listend to that cd while cycling to work, and every time i hear the cd i think of the summer and i get all happy inside.

Very strange..
but what if you remembered being happy then, but don't feel that happiness in the present, because you don't carry the memory in your heart so closely, you can actually feel the emotion that belongs to the memory?

either way, I'm sorted out again, I think.

Edit: my English is fucked up & you may blame the alcohol.

RickyCrack
08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
My step mom's favorite song was Running of Empty by Jackson Browne. She had multiple myeloma and died this Summer. I try not to listen to the song ever.

JoY
08-25-2006, 03:59 PM
*nods* yes, now we're truly getting somewhere. in this particular case I'm not talking about how a song can bring on happy memories you'd cherish, but fucking miserable memories. memories that take time to digest, which probably isn't an expression in English, but I don't particularly care. memories that leave a lump in your thoat that's incredibly difficult to swallow, that is able to suffocate you, whenever you're triggered to think of it.

what if you finally got used to the fact you couldn't entirely deal with a certain something & then you unexpectedly find out it isn't able to hurt you anymore in the present, except when really, really thinking about it? (& one wouldn't take the effort to do so, if one was a sane human being) I almost can't deal with the fact I seem to have moved on, because it's goddam confusing. I've been living with this for five years, constantly trying to give it a place in my brain & now it's like I've gone numb, because I can't feel the fucking feeling anymore I had then. this sucks & is incredibly fucking fantastic at the same time. all this time I've tried to let it go, so it'd be incredibly dumb to hold on to it now. it's probably found it's place in my head, that's all. it's just new to me.

RickyCrack, I'd say something to you personally, but it wouldn't be appropriate on here & anything I'd say feels like it wouldn't be appropriate coming from me either. so wrong person, occasion, place & time. still, I'm sorry for your loss & I'm sorry that I know no better expression for it in English. (I suck for having said it anyway)

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I must've heard Alice In Chains on the car ride to my aunt's house a long time ago, because whenever I hear "Would?", I think of my aunt's house at night, with my uncle screaming at my aunt. I don't remember listening to that song at all, but it just triggers that weird memory when I was a little kid.

In addition to that, I listened to a lot of Lawrence Arms on my class D.C. trip, and now whenever I play a couple of their songs, the D.C. bus ride pops up in my head. There are also 5 different songs that immediately link with my trip to Disneyworld a while back.

JoY
08-25-2006, 09:39 PM
yahyahyah, certain stuff is linked to memories. that isn't entirely what I meant.

Sunny
08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
i used to avoid certain songs (especially one) because of my ex, and listening to it would bring me back right into the time when i was miserable, alone and scared. and every time i heard it, i'd get this disgusting sinking feeling in my chest. like... like someone just basically told me they don't like me enough by sending me a breakup song over AIM.

needless to say, it was great hearing it on the radio recently and not feeling a thing. well, ok, i thought "wow, that was such a dick thing to do" and continued singing along.

prnk on him.

ninthlayer
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
My Sundown by Jimmy Eat World makes me all sad inside because it reminds me of the catalyst of my poverty.

born2die

Tizzalicious
08-25-2006, 11:47 PM
i used to avoid certain songs (especially one) because of my ex, and listening to it would bring me back right into the time when i was miserable, alone and scared. and every time i heard it, i'd get this disgusting sinking feeling in my chest. like... like someone just basically told me they don't like me enough by sending me a breakup song over AIM.

Same here. And the bad thing was, every year at New Years Eve they play this Top 2000 or something on the radio, one of the songs is ALWAYS number 1 or 2, so a little before twelve I'd start begging to turn off the radio, and my parents were like: "WTF? No, stop whining".

JoY
08-26-2006, 06:24 AM
November Rain? just guessing.

Sunny, exactly. when I used to hear the song, I instantly felt emotions rushing through my blood & squeezing a couple of organs in my chest cavity. & this time I remembered feeling like that, thought; "holy shit, that sucked" & asked her to turn up the volume, because it used to be my favorite song. I was thinking about it, so definitely not with my thoughts at planet earth, but I was *remembering* it - it being in the past behind me.

leaving on a jetplane was a convenient favorite song; in the Netherlands you mostly hear it, when you want to hear it.