PDA

View Full Version : The Raconteurs

barangatang
08-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Great band. Broken boy soldiers is most definitely Jack white's best work to date and one of my all-time favs.

Does anybody else love them?

Here is my review of the album:

1.Steady as she goes 7/10

Their first single. A very simple, "Jack whit-ish" sort of tune, consisting of very few, but catchy chords. Because of its immense radio play in my area, I got sick of this song after about the first week of listening to the album.

2. Hands 10/10

Hands down best track on the album. This is another simple, but really amazing song. Like "steady as she goes", "hands" only consists of a few, simple chords and yet it sounds completely original. The lyrics, being a perfect combination of being catchy and meaningful, are astounding, probably the best Jack White's ever written. But the best part of this song, is what really makes it get a 10/10 rating: the bridge. The bridge in "hands" is fucking unbelievable, the best bridge I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.
I find myself constantly humming it wherever I go.

3. Broken Boy Soldier 8.5/10

One of the best on the album, probably one of Jack white's more complex works. I can definitely hear some of the Greenhorns' song-writing in it. This song is very mysterious, exotic, and dare I say "magicial" It has kind of a middle eastern feel to it, which goes along very nicely with with Jack's hoarse, powerful lyrics. This song isn't like anything the White Stripes have done (or like anything anyone has ever done for that matter).

4. Intimite secretary 8/10

A nice playful song. I just love the transition between the acoustic and distorted electric guitars. The lyrics are nice and catchy, but don't have any real important meaning to them: I've got a rabbit it likes to hop, I've got a girl and she likes to shop, The other foot looks like it won't drop,
I had an uncle and he got shot I really don't think any good album is complete with songs on it like this. I really love this song and it puts me in a great mood when I listen to it.

5. Together 7/10

The slowest, softest, and most relaxing song on the album. It's great to hear benson sing for a complete song. The call and repeat part of the song with Jack sounds really nice and pretty. I think this song is a really nice break from all the louder and more rocked out songs. When I first got this album this song didn't interest me at all and I would almost always skip it, but now I find myself listening to it more and more.

6. Level 9/10

A motherucking insane song. The intro keyboard riff is awesome and sounds kinda like something off a pseudo-disco track. The guitar then comes at you hard and Jack's powerful hard-rocking lyrics kick in. I love how straight for this song is, something you can truly bob your head to. What I love most about this is album is the guitar dishing out the lyrics in the second verse.

7. Store bought bones 8/10

I'm having a really hard time describing this song. It sounds really bluesy and also a little ... industrial. But all in all, this is a great song. It was one of the only tracks on the album that didn't have to grow on me for to love it.

8. Yellow sun 7/10

A charming, bluesy song that, well, really doesn't do it for me. Sounds like a bluesed-out version of something the shins might do. Of course this is only what the song appears to be during the first verse. The song really saves itself with a kick-ass chorus and better versus.

9. Call it a day 7.5/10

A slow-paced song with soft, peaceful lyrics. In this song, Benson has vocal duties with Jack repeating. Similar to "together"

10. Blue veins 8/10

A very creative song. This song sounds very bluesy and very "Led zeppelin" sounding. I really love the back-masking at the end of the song, very creative. This is a very simple, and enjoyable song that is really fun to play on guitar.

jacknife737
08-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Nice review, i don't really care for Jack White, or the White Stripes, but i really like Steady as she goes, so i think i'm going to pick up or at least download the album.

Apathy
08-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I dislike the White Stripes very much, but I'm in love with 'Steady As She Goes'. It's overplayed, and I still love it whenever I hear it.

Do you think I'd like the album? I've read through the review, and I'm still not sure.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Nice review. "Hands" and "Store Bought Bones" win the album though.

barangatang
08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
I dislike the White Stripes very much, but I'm in love with 'Steady As She Goes'. It's overplayed, and I still love it whenever I hear it.

Do you think I'd like the album? I've read through the review, and I'm still not sure.

No, don't by it.

Although they're different from the White Stripes, Jack still writes most of the songs and if you simply don't like the Stripes you won't like this. I'd maybe just download some of the songs instead of wasting your money on the cd.

Apathy
08-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Well, I got lucky, because It turns out my mom wanted it.

Good thing I didn't buy it, because I dislike almost all of the songs except tracks one and four.