PDA

View Full Version : Toll roads

nieh
08-27-2006, 07:25 PM
So the other day I had to take my mom to the Atlantic City airport. To get there, we took the Atlantic City Expressway which has a few spots that require you to pay tolls. These normally consist of a few lanes for exact change, a few lanes for ez-pass and a few lanes for cash, however, the exit for the airport only has one booth. This booth is 50 cents and will accept ez-pass and exact change and you need to pay it both when you exit and when you get back on the expressway. There is no one working this booth and there's no place to put in a dollar and get 50 cents back. On this booth, there is a sign that says "if you do not have exact change, please pay this toll at the next manned booth within the next 48 hours to avoid fine". I used the last of my coins when I first exited so I didn't have exact change when I got back on the expressway. Because I wanted to avoid the fine, I paid the 50 cents at the next manned booth along with the regular $2 I owed at that toll. He gave me a receipt and said "when you get your ticket in the mail, just send this back to them". Now, does this seem a bit stupid to anyone else? It's extra effort, extra paperwork, and it's an exit for an AIRPORT. People have a tendency to go to airports to leave for long periods of time. If they didn't have exact change getting off, they're not going to be able to pay it within the 48 hours and they're going to come back home to a ticket. That seems incredibly unfair to me.

Rag Doll
08-27-2006, 07:28 PM
you have a lot of issues with car & driving related things =\

and yeah, it is stupid. but that's new jersey and its entire highway system for you.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Wow, that is complicated, and stupid.
--
I live on an island with two bridges. One being free and owned by the state, the other a toll bridge, owned by some rich guy. The free bridge is old and a truck rencently ran into the sides. Therefore, they have to close the bridge and fix it every weekday from 10 to 4, sometimes longer and sometimes on weekends. That means I have to pay to enter and leave my town. Thankfully, you can buy coins and one can get you across. Otherwise, they (just like in your situation) force you to pay exact change based on what vehicle you're using, from a mini-van to a bicycle. We don't have the reciept things though.

Tizzalicious
08-27-2006, 11:44 PM
you have a lot of issues with car & driving related things =\

Haha, I noticed that too.

And I agree, that does seem kind of stupid. Especially the whole, you get a ticket, but if you send in the paper you won't have to pay it". You would think those boots are connected somehow so they can find out you paid at the next one, and they won't send you a ticket at all.

the_GoDdEsS
08-28-2006, 02:04 AM
That's completely irrational and unnecessary. Who the hell invents those kinds of stupid things at an airport?

Not Ozymandias
08-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Democrats.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
that's pretty ridiculous. i don't see why they would do that at an airport exit... well, maybe just to say "PRNK ON U" to the unlucky driver. =p

tolls usually piss me off because of how goddamn expensive they are. $10 to *get* to jersey through the verazzano bridge, $5 to use the battery park tunnel... ararrrarrr. bite me, tolls.

Sinister
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
$10 to *get* to jersey through the verazzano bridge, $5 to use the battery park tunnel

what the fuck ? TEN BUCKS ?
we Canadians don't have a toll system, but income taxes and such are so much higher that it (probably more than) compensates. The bad thing is we have shitty highways anyway,

Sunny
08-28-2006, 11:46 AM
i think it's $9.50 to be exact, but, yeah. i almost died when i saw how much it was for the first time. then when you get to new jersey you have to pay to drive on the jersey turnpike... kfsdkljgh.

shitty highways here too. :/

JohnnyNemesis
08-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Personally, I think they should pay drivers to go into NJ in the first place.

nieh
08-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Personally, I think they should pay drivers to go into NJ in the first place.

You mean you didn't enjoy your time in Jersey?

Most of the bridges/tunnels into/out of NJ only charge you as you're LEAVING. I'm surprised to hear the Verazzano Bridge is different. And the Turnpike is actually one of the cheaper toll roads until you get right up around NYC. Prices skyrocket there for some reason.

Llamas
08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I hate tollways. one time I was driving to six flags in Illinois with my brother, and we went through one of the like, 5 tollways that are on the Illinois border, and the person in front of us didn't pay the toll... and just drove forward to the big metal arm. We were stuck behind this person, and obviously we had to pay the toll to go... we paid, and that car sped away without paying the toll, but since we had to wait for that car to go, we didn't have enough time to get through, and the arm came down on my brother's windshield.

Tolls and people are fucking assholes.

Preocupado
08-28-2006, 12:22 PM
In my state, paying road tolls is optional.

Unless the road's edges have like, a large lake at one side and the ocean at the other, so there's no space for a clandestine detour.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Most of the bridges/tunnels into/out of NJ only charge you as you're LEAVING. I'm surprised to hear the Verazzano Bridge is different. And the Turnpike is actually one of the cheaper toll roads until you get right up around NYC. Prices skyrocket there for some reason.

the verazzano doesn't take you directly to jersey. it's just on the way (through staten island). maybe that's why.

Little_Miss_1565
08-28-2006, 01:00 PM
The Verazzano also has the distinction of being the longest suspension bridge in N. America (even longer than the Golden Gate Bridge!). I think that's how they rationalize charging $11 each direction. Motherfuckers. I'd rather deal with Holland Tunnel traffic, myself.

I also noticed the craptacularity of NJ road tolls this past weekend. Maybe it's a penalty for being in the state?

nieh
08-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Being in the state is penalty enough most of the time. The fact that we have the most expensive car insurance in the country doesn't make things any more fun.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
all this jersey talk is making me wanna go to ikea. like, badly. i'm craving their lingonberry mousse cakes. :[

Little_Miss_1565
08-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Sunny, you'd go to Ikea for the...food?

How is it possible that NJ has more expensive car insurance than the city?

Llamas
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
possibly a dumb question... but what does ikea have to do with jersey?

also, I went to ikea for the food once.

Little_Miss_1565
08-28-2006, 02:58 PM
possibly a dumb question... but what does ikea have to do with jersey?

The Ikea most convenient to NYC/Brooklynites is in Elizabeth, NJ. Only 3% sales tax!

Llamas
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
huh... and I always assumed NYC had everything. ;)

and damn... 3% sales tax?? it's like 6% here!

Little_Miss_1565
08-28-2006, 03:09 PM
They're supposedly building one in Red Hook in Brooklyn.

nieh
08-28-2006, 03:31 PM

How is it possible that NJ has more expensive car insurance than the city?

This (http://www.firemansfund.com/servlet/dcms?c=personal&rkey=152#9) and this (http://www.freedomworks.org/informed/issues_template.php?issue_id=1094) explain it to some extent. The laws are so fucked up here that most insurance companies don't even try coming here, many have left, and a lot of the ones that DO come end up creating a new mini-company to operate in the state so the main company doesn't have to deal with the risk.

huh... and I always assumed NYC had everything. ;)

Ikeas are normally WAY too big to be in the city. Getting a 5' piece of land costs like a trillion dollars there.

Llamas
08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
wow... I've really been at work too long... I read the thread title as "roll toads", and got super confused. then I pictured toads doing somersaults... oh boy...

anyway, I didn't think about the size of land that ikea takes up... but you have malls in NYC, no?

nieh
08-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Malls make their money by renting space out to the individual stores. That's different than just one store having that much room for themselves.

Rag Doll
08-28-2006, 05:19 PM
and damn... 3% sales tax?? it's like 6% here!

it's 7% in most of the state. they drop the sales tax in some of the poorer areas.

Llamas
08-28-2006, 05:21 PM
ahh makes sense... I've been to NH, NC, and boston, and I thought I remembered sales tax being really high in the east, so I was shocked at the 3%. We don't change our taxes out here in poorer places... our taxes are throughout the state. But in MN we don't have food tax, and in WI there's no clothing tax. So I buy all my clothes in WI and my food in MN ;)

Sunny
08-28-2006, 06:09 PM

well, not quite. ;p i have quite a shopping list.... but no ikea experience is complete without pink, moussey, lingonberry goodness.

0r4ng3
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
To those of you talking about the Verazzano:

At least you don't live in Staten Island. It's ten bucks to stay in the same fucking city! I remember people complaining how it's not fair and stuff.