PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder/Whiplash

Sin Studly
08-28-2006, 07:35 AM
a) You should probably go back to posting as 'pathfinder'. I appreciate that you were man enough to finally admit you're pathfinder, and that's great. But people are going to continue to call you pathfinder in every response to you, unless you counter by reverting to the pathfinder login. However, if you truly prefer 'Whiplash', keep it ; now that you've come clean people will start to feel silly constantly calling you pathfinder, myself included.

b) Don't try to get acceptance by comparing yourself to people here who are far more disliked. Not naming names, but a lot of other people do that, and it's annoying. Things like "Wow, this guy sucks even more than ME" are seen as blatant toadying. We all like a person who can be self-depricating and accept their faults much more than we like arrogant fuckwits like offspringer24, but favourably comparing yourself to pondlife shows massively disturbing self-esteem issues that none of us want to deal with. It's really pathetic, and it makes us uncomfortable.

c) That being said, when you see a complete idiot posting absolute crap and feel like calling them on it, go ahead. But think twice before you do it. Are you calling them an idiot because their idiocy disgusts you, because you want them to react in a humorously juvenile manner, or because you think it'll make you more accepted? If it's the last one, just don't post. People will see your insult for what it is, and they'll dislike you for it. If it's either of the first two, people might assume you're insulting the idiot for acceptance ; insult the idiot anyway, and let them assume what they want.

d) Don't brag about being a drunken violent thug. The internet has more than its fair share of people who brag about being drunken violent thugs, and as a result ; nobody believes them. Even if people did believe you, being a drunken violent thug isn't something you should be proud of. I personally believe your stories are greatly exaggerated, but basically true. And I can relate, I've had some nights where I've drunk far too much and attacked people. I've even bragged about it afterwards, also when drunk, because pretending to be proud about doing something bad means you don't have to feel guilty for it. But I do feel profoundly ashamed of myself, for both the violence and the bragging. Getting drunk and fighting is a bad thing. If that's what you like to do with your Saturday nights, I know nothing I say will stop you, but please restrict your bragging to your friends who also enjoy getting drunk and fighting, because everyone else will think you're either an idiotic liar, or a worthless violent piece of scum. Now, if you do well in one of your karate tournaments and want to let people know, by all means ; do it. Some people might not believe you. If they don't, don't bother trying to convince them. People on the internet not believing you won your tournament or whatever should be nothing compared to the satisfaction of actually winning it. Furthermore, karate is a sport. We'll be vaguely happy for you if you do well, just like we'd be vaguely happy for somebody who won a boxing match, a football match, a javelin throw, whatever. But street violence is ugly and disgusting and we're going to dislike you for it whether you win or lose.

e) Don't react angrily to people when they insult you, or your country, or whatever. If we were in a bar together and I told you the Dutch were all sissykicking faggots and you flipped out and started screaming at me, I might be intimidated. I might be terrified. It might win you the argument. But this is not a bar. This is the internet. You can't smash me in the mouth with an ashtray here. You can't break a chair over my head. If you flip out and show how angry you are, people are just going to laugh and shake their heads sadly. If somebody posts something that makes you angry, stop and think about it. Were they deliberately trying to make you angry with that post? If so, ignore it. Don't type out an angry pissed-off rant. Don't make a sarcastic comment attempting to show how angry you're not. Don't respond at all. Or did they just say something that inadvertantly pissed you off? If that's the case, take some deep breaths, and come back later, reply calmly and maturely, and tell them why you disagree with them. I'm not saying you have to be afraid of showing emotions here, just keep them in check, and know that people here will deliberately try to make you flip out for their own amusement.

f) Don't suck up to me. Aside from the fact that people will assume you're doing it just to make me go easier on you, I don't like it. At all. If you suck up to me, I'll just want to make you more miserable here. I'm not saying you should actively avoid complimenting me, if I post something you find to be wildly hilarious and want to let me know, go ahead. Just don't do it for the purpose of making me like you more. I'll be able to tell the difference, as will most other people, and nobody's gonna like it.

g) If you feel any of these guidelines I've given would severely distance your internet persona from your real-life personality, then ignore them. There could be nothing sadder, in my opinion, than sculpturing your entire internet persona for popularity. This is the reason your plea for people to tell you why they disliked you was ignored, and you were insulted even more. Changing or hiding your personality to be liked is probably the lowest thing you could possibly do, and although it might work and you might begin to be liked and accepted here, it can't possibly be worth it. I've pointed out the specific things that you do that annoy people, so that you can avoid doing them in future, but if it comes at the cost of betraying yourself and becoming a whore to the affections of anonymous internet people ; it's not worth it. If that's the case, just leave the bbs and never come back, find a social environment ; real or online ; where you're accepted and liked for who you are.

Does anybody else have anything to add?

Whiplash
08-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Thank you for these comments, I'll try to do the things you said. Your right about me getting work'd up way to fast i guess i just have a really short fuse, and i'll try to lenghthen it.

O and about me posting as pathfinder again: I want to but i can't i've try'd to log in as pathfinder but when i try to post i get this message:

pathfinder, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Sinister
08-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Justin : shit, this is really not the kind of thing I imagined you doing. Nice change from your usual unforgiving manners.

Whiplash : your old account might have been banned, that would explain the message.

Apathy
08-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Don't suck up to me.

Don't suck up to anyone. It won't ever turn out good.

Jakebert
08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I think if you took away A, that post would be good advice to anyone using a message board, not just pathfinder.

0r4ng3
08-28-2006, 09:25 AM
I was thinking the same thing. This should be stickied or something.

T-6005
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I am a drunken violent thug and your country sucks.

Love me plz.

JohnnyNemesis
08-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Allow me to add:

h) Go away, no one likes you.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Although I agree with everything here, I doubt if he's really worth the effort.

Preocupado
08-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh, we've seen the worst kinds of idiots pass by this BBS, but pathfinder's skull isn't thick or empty. He should survive if he wants.

the_GoDdEsS
08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Although I agree with everything here, I doubt if he's really worth the effort.

I think he's just young and craving to be accepted. He might grow out of it.

Whiplash
08-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I really really hope i do, I'm making baby steps into the right direction.
And i guess i'm growing up to, I was never able to admitt i was wrong before But now i'm admitting im wrong when i know i am.....so that must be good. I think

killer_queen
08-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Allow me to add:

h) Go away, no one likes you.
I agree with this. I really don't think he can improve. Anyone who gets a second account after getting hated(or whatever) by everyone is not available for improving.

Justin disappoints me with this kind of kindness.

Nina
08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I like it.
I agree with what this post says and I think it might help improve the board.
Therefore I second the "sticky" suggestion.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-28-2006, 03:02 PM
In general, people are stupid when they first join here. This place isn't anything like most other boards on the internet. As such, one of three things then happen:

a) They can't take it, and leave. A lot of people should follow this route, I might add.

b) They get bullied out of being a vag or an idiot, and become acceptable, and then good.

c) When this doesn't work, rarely, something like this thread happens. If this kind of thread doesn't work, see route A.

At least he's taken on board that he should change. A lot of us were stupid pathfinders ourselves once, and we didn't have the benefit of a thread telling us exactly why, and how we should change. I say give the guy a chance to change. If he still doesn't, hound him off for all I care.

Llamas
08-28-2006, 03:04 PM
what about people like noodlesfan?

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
noodlesfan is just fuckin' weird.

Apathy
08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
This place isn't anything like most other boards on the internet.

Then you obviously haven't visited many pop-punk band forums.
The amount of IQ points you can lose trying to decipher people's barely comprehendible posts on some forums is quite astounding.

The usuals here tend to flame the shit out of anyone who even makes one mistake, so I don't see as many imbeciles here as I do on other message boards.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-28-2006, 03:31 PM
So you start by disagreeing with me and then agree with my point?

JohnnyNemesis
08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Actually, I think Whiplash/pathfinder CAN improve, but whatever.

Sin Studly
08-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I veto the sticky suggestion.

Paint_It_Black
08-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Justin makes me question my sexuality.

Apathy
08-29-2006, 05:08 AM
So you start by disagreeing with me and then agree with my point?

Er, well I probably misunderstood what you're point was then. I thought you were trying to say that this place was different because we get a lot of the Pathfinder/Whiplash type, unlike the rest of the internet.

Which, of course is a weird statement, because theres going to be a few crazies on any site you visit.

I'm thinking I just didn't read your post right, but now that I read it again, I still don't see how I was agreeing with your point.

Endymion
08-29-2006, 07:03 AM
you're
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/grammar.jpg

Little_Miss_1565
08-29-2006, 07:04 AM
I veto the sticky suggestion.

LOL @ Justin vetoing.

Sin Studly
08-29-2006, 07:22 AM
I wrote this for pathfinder, because it's obvious he's not going away, so we might as well help him get less lame. I don't want it encouraging every other worthless waste of life to stay.