PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had...

Nina
08-28-2006, 01:03 PM
..untreated, fresh pistachios?

I have:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/stuff/pistachios.jpg

and they are mighty delicious.

I want this to be an actual cooking discussion, and a "omg I cant live without this food" thread. and I really hope that there wont be any pro meat/contra meat discussions.
please/thank you

1) Do you have any yummy, unusual recipes for a person who is very broke?
2) Share recipes you call "different" and "exotic".
3) What can you not live without?

Amiralanal
08-28-2006, 01:04 PM
germany sucks

Nina
08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Maybe ignoring you would be the best but I still want to let you know just how unbelievably pathetic you are. Goodbye.

Amiralanal
08-28-2006, 01:10 PM
never trust a german. thats what ive learned from history class

wheelchairman
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
When I'm incredibly broke and want to cook. I fry chicken and boil rice. In fact, that's what I do when I'm not broke. That is pretty much the only recipe I know. Frying meat and boiling rice.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 01:15 PM
yay! food thread!

fresh pistachios - eep. nope, never had them... but since i love dry salted pistachios, i'm sure i'd like the real thing too. yumyumyum.

pistachios and macadamias are really the only nuts i like. :/ i'm not into peanuts or cashews. mew. almonds are ok on baked brie with honey, though.

i can't cook all that well... but speaking of weird food stuffs... i've been totally obsessed with UFO peaches. their flesh is white and much much sweeter than regular peaches. omg.

http://www.junglecity.com/images/today/2002/dpeach.jpg

and recently i discovered that chocolate and wine go really well together (it might've been obvious to some of you, but to me it was news. great news).

the_GoDdEsS
08-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Very awfully broke? Everything involving simple potato. Sauerkraut soup with potato. Boiled potato soup with butter, vegetables and spices. That's poor people's food here.

And uh, those pistachios are very expensive. At least here.

ninthlayer
08-28-2006, 01:19 PM
UFO Peaches are amazing.

Llamas
08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
never trust a german. thats what ive learned from history class

and that's why you shouldn't believe history classes.

hmm... food I can't live without.... I LOVE onions. people call me weird for this, but it's my favorite vegetable.

Nina
08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Per - that's a really great idea but um...I have rice almost every single day. Haha. But thanks, and I love chicken :P

Sunny - I really dont like nuts either. Especially walnuts. Leaves a gross taste in your mouth. These peaches look delicious!
Have you ever tried hairy lychees? Haha that sounds really weird but I dunno what their name is. It looks SO weird. This is the only picture I could find:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/stuff/c35d54ef.jpg
I'd really like to try it one day. yay4weirdfood.

Simona - yes they are really expensive in Germany, too, but a friend of our family brought it for us from Iran. My brother and I were the happiest people for about ten minutes (a few hundred gramms really isnt a lot :[ ).
Yeah, I'm obsessed.
And thanks for the ideas. Strange enough, this was exactly what I thought of today when my boyfriend and I went shopping for food (minus the Sauerkraut).

Nina
08-28-2006, 01:29 PM
ilovelamas, I really like onions too! Though they arent a vegatable I think :P They're a root (well, blub) (you probably know that anyway) but maybe they are considered a vegetable anyway.

That reminds me. Everyone thinks I'm gross for liking onion-flavored potato chips. ;x

I really wanna cook a "filled" onion once. omg that must be extremely yum. However I lack the money atm.

nieh
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Foods I can't live without:

Chili's skillet queso. Unlimited tortilla chips with a dipping sauce (served to you in a skillet) made up of cheese, beef, Mexican spices (making it taste vaguely taco-ish), and probably some other things I can't remember. I've made a meal out of it on more than one occasion and it's just a $5 appetizer. I found a recipe online somewhere to make it at home and it's not nearly as good. They say it's just velveta cheese mixed with hormel chili but it's not the same =,0(

Papa John's pizza (normally pepperoni). The garlic sauce = sex.

There's a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 01:33 PM
nina - omg, i'm creeped out. i was actually about to post about lychee nuts!!

i've never had the furry kind. the store i go to for fruit only carries the bald and spiky kind:

http://www.bigy.com/content/prod/i/var/lychee_nuts.jpg

they're delicious little bastards. very sweet and yummy.. i eat them with ice cream.

and wtf, onion potato chips are great.

wheelchairman
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Actually instead of rice, you can fry some potato slices. That's very danish. It's very good. If you're gross like me you'd make sure they'd frie with the chicken/close to the chicken fat.

If we ever meet up again I'll show you how to make american burgers (better than I showed Tizz's parents :( )

Nina
08-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Josh, do you like all types of Mexican food? I am a person who cant have spicy food because it drives me crazy, that's why I gave up on Mexican food a long time ago. I like how they always seem to have beef in their food, tho :D

Sunny, have you ever had a lychee punch? MAN. I am really not into the gross sweet stuff but that shit tastes absolutely amazing. What I dislike about fresh lychees is the nut thing in it. Kinda like the huge thing in every mango.

Per, I love American burgers. I am so sick of this icky McDonald's/Burger King stuff. I want a real burger :[
And dont you worry, I dont mind fatty stuff at all. But I have everything in moderation and know when to stop (except when we're speaking of fresh pistachios).

Llamas
08-28-2006, 01:49 PM
ilovelamas, I really like onions too! Though they arent a vegatable I think :P They're a root (well, blub) (you probably know that anyway) but maybe they are considered a vegetable anyway.

That reminds me. Everyone thinks I'm gross for liking onion-flavored potato chips. ;x

I really wanna cook a "filled" onion once. omg that must be extremely yum. However I lack the money atm.

haha, the definition of a vegetable is the edible part of a plant... so a bulb is a vegetable... and so are all fruits :)

onion flavored potato chips are awesome!!! I had onion flavored ketchup yesterday at the fair... it was terrific.

blooming onions are just about the best thing in the WORLD, though.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 01:49 PM
yah the pit is annoying. nothing could stop me from eating mangos, though. ;p and lychee punch sounds good, but i've never come across it before.

have you ever had mango lassi? amazing milkshakey goodness!

and speaking of mexican food... migas are the best breakfast food ever (if you like eggs, that is). not very spicy, either, unless you want it to be.

Llamas
08-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Foods I can't live without:

Chili's skillet queso. Unlimited tortilla chips with a dipping sauce (served to you in a skillet) made up of cheese, beef, Mexican spices (making it taste vaguely taco-ish), and probably some other things I can't remember. I've made a meal out of it on more than one occasion and it's just a $5 appetizer. I found a recipe online somewhere to make it at home and it's not nearly as good. They say it's just velveta cheese mixed with hormel chili but it's not the same =,0(

Papa John's pizza (normally pepperoni). The garlic sauce = sex.

There's a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I LOVE real mexican food. I'll settle for taco john's or taco bell, but there's nothing like real meixcan food. And it's always fun when you go get mexican food and someone asks for sour cream... and a look of pure confusion washes over. I love real mexican salsa.

killer_queen
08-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Mmmm, pistachios! I lovelovelove them. They make chocolate deserts a lot better.

Okay, the answers of your questions are:

1. The "unusual stuff" is really not my thing. My stomach doesn't like anything different. I do like baked patato filled with butter, mozarella, carrot, peas, black olives, tiny pieces of any kind of meat, mayo and ketchup.

2. I dun know any. :( I know lots of traditional food, though. Do they count different?

3. Extra virgin olive oil. I use it with everything.

JohnnyNemesis
08-28-2006, 01:54 PM
have you ever had mango lassi? amazing milkshakey goodness!

There is absolutely NOTHING in this world tastier than a Mango Lassi, and I'm dead serious.

LYNCH whoever disagrees!

Nina
08-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Mango Lassi sounds good. Is it with milk, though? That would make me sad. If yes, does it work with soy milk as well? Do you have a recipe?

I'll look for Migas, too. Because I really need to eat a better breakfast before I cant do that anymore! (lack of time when Uni/work/similar starts?)

Gülsah, I like the baked potato idea. I dont think it would cost a lot of money, either. Thanks for sharing :]

JohnnyNemesis
08-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Mango Lassi sounds good. Is it with milk, though? That would make me sad. If yes, does it work with soy milk as well? Do you have a recipe?

They use yogurt, actually. Lots of restaurants blend the yogurt with some mango pulp and other deliciousness, and it's soooooooooo good.

Soy Milk would work, I suppose. It's nice and creamy too.

Nina
08-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Reading this gives me stomach cramps :[ I'll have to do that with soy milk! It does sound delicious, though. I really wanna try it, even right now! Gimme instructions!

Sunny
08-28-2006, 02:00 PM
oh man. i gotta have indian tonight. veggie samosas, mulligatawny soup and mango lassi sound like heaven right now.

and gulsah, agreed about the olive oil. one of my favorite sandwiches is hummus, baby carrot slices, sprouts and extra virgin olive oil in a pita pocket. weeeeooo.

Preocupado
08-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Here goes my exotic recepy for poor ass university students.

You need:

- a small box/can of condensed milk
- butter
- a big wooden spoon
- a fire proof, old and beaten up pan made out of thick iron with a handle
- wood for fire
- a thin but resistant iron bar (can be stolen at any construction site)
- a brick

Make a fire with the wood and use the brick as a support to raise the iron bar. Hang the pan and light up the fire.

Must look like this:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l188/ewaxewax/exotic.jpg

Pour the condensed milk inside the pan and keep it moving with the spoon untill it starts to boil. Add a generous soup spoon of butter to it and keep mixing untill it gets very dense. Put out the fire, give it a couple of minutes to cool and eat it with the spoon.

There.

ps: yes, i made that drawing myself.

Nina
08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
hahahaha the picture!!!!

Sunny
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Reading this gives me stomach cramps :[ I'll have to do that with soy milk! It does sound delicious, though. I really wanna try it, even right now! Gimme instructions!

bbc food says:

Ingredients
1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped (or tinned mango or tinned mango pulp)
150ml/5fl oz milk
175ml/6fl oz natural yogurt
2 tsp sugar

1. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz.
2. Pour into glasses and add some ice cubes.

i'm sure soy milk and yogurt would work too.

Preocupado
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
hey, you asked for exotic... you get it!

killer_queen
08-28-2006, 02:06 PM
and gulsah, agreed about the olive oil. one of my favorite sandwiches is hummus, baby carrot slices, sprouts and extra virgin olive oil in a pita pocket. weeeeooo.
When you made a thread about that sanwich I was like "eew, clearly, she can't taste at all" But the recipe just stuck in my head so I decided to try it and it was one of the most delicious things I've ever had. So many <3s for you and hummus.

Nina
08-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Sunny, thanks so much for finding that. I'll try it out tomorrow morning (my brother ate the last mango! h8) but I'll have to buy soy joghurt :/

Sunny
08-28-2006, 02:13 PM
When you made a thread about that sanwich I was like "eew, clearly, she can't taste at all" But the recipe just stuck in my head so I decided to try it and it was one of the most delicious things I've ever had. So many <3s for you and hummus.

hehe. glad you ended up liking it. :]

nina, you're very welcome. let me know how it turns out (it seems like mr sunny has become lactose intolerant and he loves milkshakes.. so id like to find out if soy stuff works well for that purpose)

Betty
08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Because my brother is a total goof he insisted on buying a Dragonfruit at the grocery store. It was this mysterious pink-skinned fruit with spikey/scaley things on it about the size of a mango. But then when we cut it open, it was a big surprise as it contained bright white flesh with black seeds. It tastes mildly sweet, rather indistinct, kind of has the texture of a kiwi. Made a huge hit.

I took a photo to preserve the memory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/Dragonfruit.jpg

I've never had hairy lychees but recently had regular ones and they're pretty good. I'd imagine the hairy ones would taste similar.

As for recipes, I guess I don't cook very much "exotic" stuff. Tonight I am making some quiche.

Prep time: 5 min, very very easy
Cooking time: ~ 1 hour
Cost: Moderate? Relatively.

So that's an idea. Buy a frozen pie crust. Whip together about 3-4 eggs and about 1/2 cup table cream (I never really measure these things, sometimes I use part milk, part cream), salt and pepper. Put some grated cheese (I use old cheddar, as always) in the bottom, then your vegetable of choice. I've done broccoli, asparagus, spinach... Then pour in the egg mixture and cook until it's done... maybe an hourish at 350-375 F The whole thing is pretty flexible. Very easy.

Yesterday I made my avocado salsa stuff which is one of those foods that doesn't last ever because everybody eats it instantly.

Chop 1-2 avocados, 1-2 tomatoes, some feta cheese, red onion, couple cloves of garlic nice and finely, depending how much you wanna make. Pour in about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar. Stir. Great with pita bread.

Oh! One of my best recipes that I've developed is just risotto. Some recipes make it sound really hard, but it's relatively easy and good. Heat about 1/4 cup olive oil in a wok-type pan and then add finely chopped vegetables. (I do onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic). Saute a couple of minutes then add 1 cup arborio rice and stir that around a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1/4 cup white wine. Saute a minute or two. Then add 2 cups of chicken broth. Let this simmer covered on low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir a few times, but not too often. Then add another cup of broth at this point and cook until it is absorbed, stirring a couple of times. As soon as it's all absorbed, you can taste the rice and make sure it's cooked. Generally a 1:3 ratio of rice and broth is fine. Then add about 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese and stir in (this is the key to the recipe - I've also tried the pre-grated stuff and it's not nearly as good). Risotto in general has many variations. Different vegetables (I've thrown in fresh spinach when it's almost done). Different stock (some recipes ask you to make your own say, mushroom or vegetable stock or something which is WAY too time consuming for me). Sometimes it uses cream (I might like to try this but I suppose it's healthier without). This recipe is just really easy and doesn't screw up so I've stuck with it.

Sunny
08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
the avocado salsa recipe sounds very good. mmm.

Betty
08-28-2006, 02:42 PM
It's so so so so so good.

Betty
08-28-2006, 02:46 PM
And then the ultimate potluck food, that I need to eat at least once a year. Spinach dip with pumpernickel bread! Sour cream, mayonnaise, pkg vegetable soup mix, thawed and drained chopped frozen spinach. Stir. You can serve it in a hollowed out pumpernickel bowl to be fancy with bread cubes. Some people add water chestnut. I've added chopped green onion. Best food ever.

Nina
08-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Oh man, Betty.
Thanks so much! I will definitely try it all out. I know it's a common thing to say and nobody ever keeps their word, BUT I WILL. I love veggies, therefore all of this sounds extra delicious.

Also, that dragonfruit. I've heard of it before and I've tried the juice of it, combined with apple and lemon juice. I always wondered how big that thing would be. I am very surprised at its size.
But it was expensive, right :[ I never ever saw one at the markets before!

Betty
08-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it was probably about $5 or something ridiculous. Again, my brother was being retarded and put it in my dad's cart when they were shopping. (And he's 18 years old, not 6.)

nieh
08-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Josh, do you like all types of Mexican food? I am a person who cant have spicy food because it drives me crazy, that's why I gave up on Mexican food a long time ago. I like how they always seem to have beef in their food, tho :D

Not really. I tend to like very basic things (hard tacos with meat and cheese but nothing else on them). I have no problem with things that are a bit spicy so long as it's not to the point where the spiciness is all you notice after a couple bites.

Tizzalicious
08-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Hmm, i was gonna advice rice with chopped up banana and peanuts :P Very easy, and cheap!

I would give you some actual recipes, but I suck with the translating.

Vera
08-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Mango Lassi is suuuuupernice. Had some at a Nepalese restaurant where they played old Hindi songs. Suberb!

I don't what would be good, cheap food in Germany. For a really long time I got stuck with eating a rice-tuna-green-olives mix at work. When the tuna has enough oil and the rice is cooked just right, it doesn't taste very bland and the olives give it a nice salty add.

Exotic... Hmm, my mum used to make cauliflower casserole (kukkakaalilaatikko) when I was a kid. It's an awesome dish. Vegetarian, too, though contains egg.

Basically you grate some cauliflower and carrots, mix them up with some boiled rice, put them in an oven casserole, whip up some eggs with milk just to break the egg yellows and stuff and add sugar about a spoonful to give the dish a nice, semi-sweet taste, pour the egg-milk (munamaito because this is such a *Finnish* dish) amidst the cauliflower etc and put it in the oven. Around 30-40 mins in a decent tempature, maybe ~150 celcius.

I don't know if anyone would think that's any good but there you have it. And I have Tizz's problem, so used to cooking in another language it's tough to describe how to do stuff in English. Basic suggestion: just try out. Simple things. Rice with whatever you can find in the house, pasta with pesto and some parmesan..

Whiplash
08-29-2006, 05:40 AM
I ate this yesterday:

http://www.bigoven.com/pics%5C220306061116.jpg

I just love oven roasted chicken.

Tigger Army
08-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Lately I've been making Zatziki once in a while. I've still got to perfect it but sofar it's turning out alright most of the time. And it's basically easy to make too!