PDA

View Full Version : Where do you work? and what do you do there?

Whiplash
08-30-2006, 06:46 AM
I work at HEMA (all the dutch here are most likely laughing now).
I'm the guy that makes sure the orders reach there destenation,by that i mean both the customer orders and the orders the HEMA placed at the distrebution centre. Without me the entire HEMA would probebly ground to a halt.

Now what do you guy's do for a living?

Tizzalicious
08-30-2006, 06:50 AM
I love HEMA <333

I'm on disability. Yay. =/

Tigger Army
08-30-2006, 06:53 AM
currently studying HBO - SPH

which would roughly translate as Social Pedagogic Helper

Besides that I'm not doing much besides writing and reading.

Andy
08-30-2006, 06:55 AM
I work in a movie rental shop, about 2 minutes walk from my house. I do fuck all there, and what little work I do have, I pay kids Pic n Mix to do it for me.

Whiplash
08-30-2006, 06:56 AM
I just started MBO. Midden kader functionaris bouw/infra.( don't know what to translate it to)

nieh
08-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Who is your daddy, and what does he do?

I work for a title company. Our building is in NJ but we have a network of closing agents all over the country that we assign to close loans. We also have an in-house title insurance company that can pull title in almost every state. It's my job to take calls and e-mails from the loan processors regarding changes in the closing agent, overdue title, correcting errors on title and just generally making things go as smoothly as possible. I rock.

Tijs
08-30-2006, 07:05 AM
I've got a temporarly job right now. It's only two days, I received a car from the employer. I have to drive to some gasstations (Maartje, I was in Nieuwegein yesterday) and write down the prices of the products they sell in the store. I'll pass that information on to another gasstation so they can compare it and lower their prices if needed.

Tizzalicious
08-30-2006, 07:13 AM
That's pretty neat for a 2-day job, Tijs!

wheelchairman
08-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I work in a Car Parts warehouse for Peugeot. Out in the middle of nowhere. My job consists of finding the parts that the order requests and then putting them in the box. If I'm unlucky and have to get a brake disk, then I need to pack it as well. Or if I get a Week order. It's a sweet job. After a month my salary will raise 10 kr. an hour. And after 6 months it will raise by another 10. And after 3 months I get safety shoes and workpants.

My other job is as a mailman, it's shitty and I'm quitting soon.

Tizzalicious
08-30-2006, 07:27 AM
And after 3 months I get safety shoes and workpants.

Score!!!!!

Tigger Army
08-30-2006, 07:33 AM
And after 3 months I get safety shoes and workpants.

until then you've got the time to drop battery acid on your legs and die a painful death ;)

Andy
08-30-2006, 07:35 AM
And sue the bejesus out of them.

wheelchairman
08-30-2006, 07:43 AM
I don't work with car batteries. I work in the South Hall which apparently does the light work, thank god.

Tigger Army
08-30-2006, 07:47 AM
then how are you going to sue them? Drop a car part on your toe and say you didn't know they weren't supposed to be handled that way.

Whiplash
08-30-2006, 07:56 AM
ehmmm Just do your job and hope your back gives in after fourty years of heavy lifting.

JohnnyNemesis
08-30-2006, 08:21 AM
My campus job is over at the Art Library, just scanning books out and helping people find what they need. The thing is, hardly anyone EVERRRRR comes to the Art Library, so most nights it's empty and I just work on my own shit: coursework, etc.

I have another job where I proofread grant proposals for a non-profit educational company. I work online, and it's really interesting and rewarding.

I also volunteer for this mentoring program. High schoolers from my hometown connect with students from my current school, and we basically get them ready for college on an academic AND non-academic level. We help them figure out their goals and steer them towards them, and figure out what school would be right for them.

I also volunteer at this place I worked at over the summer, but if I keep adding my volunteer positions to this thing, I'm going to be continuing forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

Whiplash
08-30-2006, 08:44 AM
WOW thats an awfull lot of work man.

H1T_That
08-30-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm currently working for an over specialsed 50's insurance company called SAGA. They basically provide all kinds of insurance to customers over the age of 50.

My job is to assess customers orders and requests, i.e what information they require about thier policy (for example, a car insurance customer requesting information on how to make a claim in the event of an accident.) I then gather that information (which is 99% of the time a few leaflets) and mail it out to them. In a normal 6 hour shift i will probably send out around 800 letters to customers, containing an average of 5 leaflets and a covering letter.

I get £6 an hour for this.

I am leaving soon though, hopefully to work for Caterpillar UK as a manufacturing engineer. Which basically means i build digger's and crane's. I've already taken an exam, which i've passed, and now i have the final interview to get by, then the job is mine.

Endymion
08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
i work in a materials characteristics laboratory doing transport current measurements using a variable temperature scanning laser microscope and related experiments on high temperature superconductors.

Rag Doll
08-30-2006, 09:28 AM
i'm front end manager at a liquor store. this consists of...

-bossing around the cashiers & stockboys
-telling customers how to make drinks
-ordering stuff for the store
-making giftbaskets
-taking care of internet orders/internet customers
-dealing with moneyz/the bank
-pricing
-light secretarial stuff (making phone calls, typing, etc)

yeah, it pretty much sucks. but i spend most of my time pretty much doing whatever i want. i might end up getting a secretary/personal asst job for my former boss in the next few months though. *shrug*

T-6005
08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
I am unemployed.

Whiplash
08-30-2006, 09:33 AM
That blowes...

In about 5 months im gonne start working at a construction company, Im going to make desings of small buildings like: sheds, walls and that type of stuff.

I can't whait!!

Tired_Of_You
08-30-2006, 09:53 AM
I might work in a movie rental shop (hey nieh!), but I'm currently unemployed! I used to work at a supermarket. I had to use the slicers, serve the clients, prepare the salads, I had to cook some fried disgusting stuff, I had to place the stuff, clean the department, be a cashier and that is besides cutting my fingers with the slicer or the knives. I had the minimum wage : 7,75$. h8h8h8h8supermarkets.h8.

BREAK
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
I sit around and do badass computer shit.

Retard
08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I work at Homegoods.

When i first started there they wanted me to learn cash registar, but i was way too nervous about that. so now i've been there for 6 months or so, and i really dont like it.

I do everything from get the carriages outside(best part of the day I"M NOT INSIDE!!), take some phone calls, put furniture together in the stock room, clean up the store, sweep. and any other odd jobs around the store.

working here has made me hate the human race, or maybe just people who shop there, but either way.

Betty
08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I guess my only job job will be as a lab demonstrator for first year chemistry labs this coming year. Woo, here comes teacher Michelle to crack the whip.

Rest of the time I've got a couple of courses and then working in the lab. Trying to synthesize and characterize photomagnetic molecular systems. It would be an awesome break if some of my crystals grew while I was on vacation *fingers crossed.*

wheelchairman
08-30-2006, 11:41 AM
But you do get paid for your lab work right?

Betty
08-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I got a sweet-ass scholarship to do research, yes. And otherwise would have been paid a somewhat lesser amount from my prof's grant money and would have had to teach another lab section.

wheelchairman
08-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I have no ideal how the real sciences work, what stage are you in your education? Masters?

Endymion
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
i do real science too =/

ps: publication accepted, to be printed soon. working on another in physics and one in computer science.

Betty
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
I am officially registered as a Master's student but will switch directly into a PhD program in a year so am ultimately doing work towards my PhD. It just worked out better this way for funding, etc. And skipping the Master's will save about 2 years worth of schooling.

I have the one paper fully accepted, and I suppose "in press" still. The other (my baby) was resubmitted with a whole lot of revisions a couple of weeks ago so I really hope they accept it this time! And then my prof in Victoria is apparently writing a manuscript (for the Journal of the American Chemical Society - which is a GOOD journal) and wants to include my name on it even though I really haven't contributed that much to the project yet. But hey, I won't complain. It's soon to be all mine.

offspring fan
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
i work in a CD shop called Musikk Hjørnet, and i sell cds and dvds to people.... its a relly exiting job :rolleyes:

killer_queen
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I give piano lessons when I want extra money. It's the best way to earn 30$ without leaving your house, in an hour.

Little_Miss_1565
08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm a receptionist for a company in the music industry. Hence why I'm online aaaall daaaaay loooong.

Nina
08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
I am applying for a major that requires a portfolio/a test, so I am working on my shit.

Meanwhile I sell stuff on teh netz and make good enough money.

Tigger Army
08-30-2006, 03:28 PM
what kind of things are you selling?

ninthlayer
08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm a babysitter (and I'm at work right now).

Tigger Army
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
tough job ;)

Anya82
08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
i teach in 2 schools on mornings, from 8am to 1pm. I love it.
then, i work on graphic design in an agency on afternoons.
And, i do some freelance too. Logos, web design, stationary.. blah blah.

ninthlayer
08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
I do two minutes of work an hour and work 35 hours a week. That's 70 minutes of work a week. Oh, and by "working" I mean "checking the temperature in a server room and an uninterruptible power supply room." It's a cake job, but wholly depressing when you consider the fact that some people make a living like this for their entire lives (see also: mediocrity).

I've also had jobs (with this company) that included: sitting in a van overnight (for 30 hours a week), festival security (during which I got to see Kansas), checking truckers/employees in at a yeast factory, patrolling a parkade (I saw a dog die while doing this), and other various tasks that make little to no sense (but people are paranoid and like to hire people to guard their property from "the bad guys."

Tigger Army
08-30-2006, 04:46 PM
and does it pay well? :)

Endymion
08-30-2006, 05:21 PM
checking truckers/employees in at a yeast factory
checking them for yeast infections?

Sunny
08-30-2006, 05:21 PM
i'm a freelance graphic designer, which sucks multiple balls. i do id systems, stationery, packaging, ads... and i design patterns for stuff like bedding. and dinnerware. occassionally.

it pays from "outstanding" to "horrid/rip off/anal rape". you never know.

ninthlayer
08-30-2006, 05:40 PM
No and sometimes, respectively.

RickyCrack
08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm a waiter. I serve food to customers, and sometimes they have sex with me in the bathroom.

Vera
08-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Until mid-September I work at an amusement park, where I control the rides. The pay is kind of crap because the park is meant to raise money for charity but it still pays.

JoY
08-31-2006, 04:25 AM
I work at HEMA (all the dutch here are most likely laughing now).

when I was 15/16 I worked at the HEMA for a while. three months to be exact, because that's the length of the test period, after which I was fired & adviced never to take a job like that again.

I don't have a job now. we sometimes play with the band, make some money, but that's money we spend anyway. so I'm a useless gal that has one hand full with university & the other with her activities outside uni. I'm thinking about working in a nursing home, though. it'd give me some experience & it pays alright. but right now I'm in too many committees to really have enough spare time.

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 04:42 AM
Would that be that gipsy band you once mentioned?

For some reason I remember your hema adventure. Odd though I thought that you were older and that it was AFTER we met in person but apperantly it was waaaay before.

JoY
08-31-2006, 04:47 AM
I met Isabelle in my fifth year of high school, so that'd make me.... ah yes, 16/17.

15/16 would've been less embarrassing. :(

& yeah, I was talking about the gipsy band, indeed. =)

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 04:53 AM
cool. I knew you were interested in the band and the band was begging you to join them but I never knew you joined them or not :)

JoY
08-31-2006, 04:58 AM
yeah, I didn't know at that time if I still wanted to play the violin & if I did, if I wanted to play such a completely different genre than what I was used to. either way, a little over two years ago we started on getting the band back on its feet with the new setting & new members. now Romanez functions almost like a well oiled machine, new members are joining us & we're getting better & better. still, when I think about it, I worry, because there'll be a day I quit & there's no one so far yet who can replace me.

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 05:01 AM
well you're not going to quit soon or are you?

There's still time to find/train someone to *almost* your level.

I know you're good and thus hard to replace but entirely irreplacable... well it would be a step back I suppose

JoY
08-31-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm most certainly not irreplacable & not even that good, for that matter. we are talking about an organisation from "het Corps", however. :/ faternities/sororities in our country are mostly not extremely cultural minded. (beer, chicks, dicks & "social connections") to find a member who plays an instrument is quite the challenge, to find someone who plays the violin is an enormous challenge & to find someone who can play it well is almost impossible. *sigh*

the intention is that I quit once I quit being a student, seeing the nature of the organisation it falls under. since I haven't exactly been studying rapidly, I suppose that'll take a while. especially since there's no longer study than mine. but I don't intend to be the long lost student, who's still active in her studentlife untill the age of forty. :/!

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 05:21 AM
you're not? Damn!

I know some people who're playing the voilin, the oldest one (besides you ofcourse) is already 14! so just hang in there, I'll try to get her studying in Amsterdam!

JoY
08-31-2006, 05:25 AM
she must finish either HAVO, or VWO, choose to study in Amsterdam after that & want to become a member of "het corps". I know you can make her do it, don't disappoint me!

;p

Edit: & she mustn't quit playing & play about as "decent" as I can, when she comes to Amsterdam.

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 05:43 AM
as decent as you can? Damn... I'll go call André Rieu and ask him if he could go study something there then :-/

Besides that I'm pretty sure the girl will do at least HAVO. And the Fraternity is fun, all fraternities are!

JoY
08-31-2006, 05:51 AM
oh man, slimebucket! y'know I technically suck at playing the violin. *blush*

fraternities/sororities are fun. =D you need a specific crowd to like mine, though. :/ although the group of girls we've formed within the fraternity/sorority is absolutely fabulous.

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 05:53 AM
ha, concidering all my classmates are kiddies I'm sure joining a sorority won't be good here.

And you may suck technicwise but not when it comes to passion or the actual sounds you get out of your instrument(s). And I can judge that since I've heard you play before.

JoY
08-31-2006, 05:58 AM
*sighs & blushes* compliments always make me a bit uneasy, but it's still so very nice to receive them.<3

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 06:02 AM
I didn't see a compliment. I did see someone post the truth with my account though. And the person was: me.

JoY
08-31-2006, 06:23 AM
either way, technically I'm unemployed!

[overkill of sweetness led to change of subject to back on topic]

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 06:29 AM
technically you're not cause you've got a study. No unemployment fair.

Manic Subsidal Boy
08-31-2006, 06:46 AM
1. Tigger Army Pennywise are awesome
2. I ref Footy for a rip off price to the club so im rollin in the doe

JoY
08-31-2006, 06:57 AM
technically you're not cause you've got a study. No unemployment fair.
right! so that makes me.. a student. without a job on the side.

Whiplash
08-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Well i'm a full time student, With a parttime job on the side.

Nina
08-31-2006, 08:11 AM
what kind of things are you selling?

my own stuff. Which doesnt sound like a lot but I have at least 200 items to sell. I make 5-10€ a day, for taking pictures for 10min, resizing them for 5min, and uploading and posting them for another 15min.
It sounds good to me, and it is!

Nina
08-31-2006, 08:15 AM
i'm a freelance graphic designer [...].[...] and i design patterns for stuff like bedding.

I read your post and then went to bed shortly afterwards.
Turned out that I thought about it longer than I thought...I dreamed that I was in a gallery with many chairs and on the chairs there were blankets; their covers where designed by you. Then I saw you walking around nervously. Hahaha.

Tigger Army
08-31-2006, 08:16 AM
sounds fine to me yeah

Llamas
09-02-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm also a fulltime student with a job and an internship. My job involves calling highschool students with questions (starting tuesday, we call about applications... ask if they've applied yet, etc). Way easy.

My internship involves teaching inner city kids english. I start that next week.

Camilamazed
09-02-2006, 01:43 PM
CCLS (Cultural Center for Languages Studies) AKA CCAA (Portuguese)

Me is the Teacher!

Rilex
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey, I know that….And you know that I’m a Taxi driver…

Camilamazed
09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
;) I really do hehe