PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol monopoly

Amiralanal
09-02-2006, 11:27 AM
What do you think of alcohol monopoly?
It is when only one company has the right to sell alcohol.

nieh
09-02-2006, 12:12 PM
And here I was thinking it was a monopoly board where you play as different bottles of alcohol instead of the traditional pieces. It would be great because when you go bankrupt you can just give up and become an alcoholic.

Amiralanal
09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
that would be great

Sin Studly
09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
What do you think of alcohol monopoly?
It is when only one company has the right to sell alcohol.

Which piece of shit country has an alcohol monopoly?

Betty
09-02-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't know Justin... here it's all government regulated and only... well in Ontario only "The Beer Store" or "The Liquor Control Board of Ontario" can sell booze. And it's very heavily taxed. And I guess restaurants and bars and other such establishments can get liquor licenses.

But I thought it was what Josh was talking about too, possibly with a different variation.

The last time I played Monopoly I wanted to be the iron. I'm always the iron. But the piece wasn't there, I was none too impressed. So I believe I settled on the thimble.

SkunkIt
09-02-2006, 01:36 PM
We don't have that here, they pretty much sell alcohol almost everywhere you find food here. I do remember when I was in toronto though, they mostly sold it in bars, restaurants and liquor stores, if not completely. And my brother went there to drink, but they had raised the age from 18 to 19.

Canada has some alcohol that was banned in the usa and some of those liquor stores looked pretty cool, especially The Beer Store.

Andy
09-02-2006, 03:00 PM
My mate made a Monopoly drinking game, "Gulpopoly". He engineered a board and everything. He's thinking of taking it to a company.

Amiralanal
09-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Which piece of shit country has an alcohol monopoly?

welcome to sweden!

HornyPope
09-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Ontario has shit beer laws. It isn't as bad in the rest of provinces (from the ones I know- i.e. the ones that matter)

petey
09-02-2006, 04:28 PM
i want that in america. do u have any hook-ups so you could?

Amiralanal
09-03-2006, 01:37 AM
its not a 100 % monopoly here in sweden. Bars and restaurants can sell alcohol. But you can not buy your booze in a store or a supermarket(only light beer) . If you want to buy regular beer, wine or liquor without having to go to a pub, you have to go to the Systembolag(systemcompany) which is a state-owned store. Theyre opening hours are fucked up, and the store is closed during big party days, so the people cant buy their drinks. They charge sick prices too.

the_GoDdEsS
09-03-2006, 02:49 AM
That sounds very strange. Over here you get alcohol in any tiny store. And the prices attract all countries surrounding us. So we get booze tourists who cross the border just to buy at the nearest store and go get drunk home. There's almost no regulation.

Tigger Army
09-03-2006, 03:17 AM
its not a 100 % monopoly here in sweden. Bars and restaurants can sell alcohol. But you can not buy your booze in a store or a supermarket(only light beer) . If you want to buy regular beer, wine or liquor without having to go to a pub, you have to go to the Systembolag(systemcompany) which is a state-owned store. Theyre opening hours are fucked up, and the store is closed during big party days, so the people cant buy their drinks. They charge sick prices too.

Wow, you're living in Valhalla!

Whiplash
09-03-2006, 07:11 AM

Well thats fucked up.

Tigger Army
09-04-2006, 01:20 AM
No, that's great

JoY
09-04-2006, 03:34 PM
for real, would you want prices to be even higher in your country? have you got any idea how expensive alcohol relatively in your country is?

& no, I haven't been reading other replies, except the one about an alcoholic version of Monopoly. digged that one a whole lot.

Whiplash
09-05-2006, 07:44 AM
No, that's great

Well i love my alcohol, And i really like the fact that i can get my heineken's for 50 cents a pop at any Albert hein, digros, Hoogvliet and more of those shops.

So thats why its fucked up.

Tigger Army
09-05-2006, 07:56 AM
a LOT of people who drink shouldn't be able to. Like most teenagers. So if alcohol would only be legally sold by state-run shops there would be loads of teens who just won't be able to get any (unless their stupid parents come to buy it for them, but in that case they'll at least be under supervision).

Besides that it's also a great way to restrict the amount of alcohol being bought.

Ofcourse people will figure out a way around that, but I'm sure quite a few won't or will think it's all too much trouble.

Yes I'm all for it.

That the price may rise is an offer I gladly make

Whiplash
09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Agreed, But the ID law is getting more and more strict with every passing month. And i think thats a good thing i've been 16 for quit a while now and i still have to show my ID every time i go out to get some beer, But thats most likely because i have a baby face.

But what that means is that kids under 16 won't be able to get alcohol.

And do you really beleave that its a good idea, That state own'd shop thing might work in Sweden but i doubt if it works in Holland. I'm pretty damm shure there will be some kind of uprising.

Tigger Army
09-06-2006, 10:53 AM
that''s why you don't change these laws over night but step by step. And thusfar the dutch have been so lazy when it comes to starting an uprising that I highly doubt they would in this case. As long as there would be enough shops that provide alcohol.

As for the rules being strict right now. Most people I know still don't ask for IDs here. But that could be way different where you live I suppose

Whiplash
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Well i live in a town that was number 1 on the list for problem youth, I'm Not really proud of it but its the truth.
There are always allot of kids, mainly 13 to 15 years old, begging people like me if they could please get them some beer.
Thats the most obvous reason why the ID law is very strict here.

H1T_That
09-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Well i live in a town that was number 1 on the list for problem youth, I'm Not really proud of it but its the truth.
There are always allot of kids, mainly 13 to 15 years old, begging people like me if they could please get them some beer.
Thats the most obvous reason why the ID law is very strict here.

Same here, although clerks are dumb and most of the time serve 15 year old for alcohol without asking for ID.

ShadowPyro
09-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Same here, although clerks are dumb and most of the time serve 15 year old for alcohol without asking for ID.

I'm currently in Poland and not a single place has asked for ID when my friend went to buy alcohal. The drinking age here is 18 which is much better then back in Jersey.

Whiplash
09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
But you do have a frog monopoly right?

Whiplash
09-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I knew it!...

Sin Studly
09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
We do not have alcohol monopoly in France. The prices are relatively low so it's all fine & dandy.

When will you learn that nobody cares what's happening in France? When the Arabs were burning your fucking country down nobody cared, and nobody cares now.

Tigger Army
09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
When will you learn that nobody cares what's happening in France? When the Arabs were burning your fucking country down nobody cared, and nobody cares now.

I would care enough to celebrate that historical day!