PDA

View Full Version : Devin Townsend

Jebus
09-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I posted a song in the forced listening thread that didn't get the attention it deserved. FrancoDaHui is a fag that gave it a seven and posted a gay Bad Religion song right after. :(

To get on with the thread, I had this cd called Infinity that was hidden somewhere within my music archives in my computer because I didn't really pay much attention to it the first time I heard it like a year ago. I randomly found it and I decided to listen to it, and holy fuck! This guy is great!

He's one another one of those guys that makes it hard to catogorize his music under one genre. Still, the most prominent genre has to be atmostpheric/ambient metal with some progressive elements. Apparently this guy has a bipolar disorder that makes him major moods swings and you could totally see this in that album. His music is really all over the place.

Now, I'll shut up and post some songs.

This one is my favorite. It was described has a "industrial heavy metal 40s swing song" in an amazon review I read. This song is FUN FUN FUN!
Devin Townsend Band - Bad Devil (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2D2473D264402C3E)

Then there's this one that kind of reminds me of Dilinger Escape Plan mixed with Buckethead. Quite aweome me thinks.
Devin Townsend Band - Ants (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=627A5FBF5985C79F)

Truth is more along along the lines of his usual style. Extremly ambient metal with lound heavily distorted guitars. It's a neato song!
Devin Townsend Band - Trugh (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2154A7750D47FD68)

EDIT: I recommend you listen to these song with the volume up high!

All About Eve
09-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I went ahead and downloaded Bad Devil in the FL thread, because I generally like what you do, but haven't listened yet. I'll tell you what I think later.

Jebus
09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
More whoring!

This song is one of the happier moments in the album, not too mention it has quite a nice groove to it, although is pretty repetative. I also like how it slowly gets darker sounding around the end.

Devin townsend - War
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=488D3A3715BC93D4

EDIT: Remember to listen to these songs loudly for a better experience!

All About Eve
09-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm extremely enjoying Bad Devil, but I'm not going to listen to the rest until tomorrow, when I'm awake enough to joy it.

On a related note, sleeptime4megoodnight.

Jebus
09-03-2006, 11:15 AM
More replies plz!

I've been thinking about this lately. Do I have bad taste in music or is it just everyone else who has the bad taste?

All About Eve
09-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I think people just ignore you in general.

But really, on a punk forum, how many people are going to jump into stuff like Devin Townsend? It's not really something you'd follow up Bad Religion with.

Jebus
09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
So what you're saying is I have great taste in music, right? Thanks!

All About Eve
09-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Sure. I like your user title by the way.

I also need to redownload all the rest of the songs, because I opened them instead of saved them like an idiot.

sk8ter-hater
09-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I didn't like it. I enjoyed 'Truth' though. I was expecting something acoustic.

All About Eve
09-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, he IS the singer for Strapping Young Lad, which were pretty hard if I remembe, although I didn't like them.

sk8ter-hater
09-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Yah, I'm pretty music ignorant. But I figured, 'hey, if he/she likes it, I might give it a try.'

Jebus
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
sk8ter-hater, you get my eternal love just for giving them a try.

Fun fact!

The initial character design for Pickles the drummer was very similar in appearance to Canadian musician Devin Townsend, frontman of the extreme metal band Strapping Young Lad and The Devin Townsend Band
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8e/Devin-Townsend.jpg/180px-Devin-Townsend.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/281sar5.jpg

All About Eve
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Hahaha that's excellent. When does that show come on?

Jebus
09-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I think sometime during Sunday in Adult Swim. I missed the last few episodes so I'm gonna look for a torrent now.

EDTI: nvm, only three episodes have been shown. I've seen those already.

nieh
09-03-2006, 06:22 PM
More replies plz!

I've been thinking about this lately. Do I have bad taste in music or is it just everyone else who has the bad taste?

BOTH! Loser.

Not really. Most people just don't want to hear things that aren't already somewhat familiar to them.

Bad Devil is pretty fucking awesome. Not at all what I was expecting. It sounds big and evil in a fun way which I love. And the jazz influence is a nice touch. Ants is really neat too. Truth and War are both alright but aren't as crazy as the other two.

Piedude
09-04-2006, 08:36 AM
How didnt i notice this thread.
Ive become addicted to this guys solo/non SYL stuff over the last few months, and Infinity is the last of his solo albums I need to buy, so I may download some of these songs...Id have reccomended "Christeen" personally to get people here into it, thanks to the influence of the master of catchy chorus's - Ginger, of Wildhearts fame...
Id seriously reccomend you get Terria if you havent already, although they're all safe bets....Physicist is definatly the half way between Townsend solo and Strapping though...
For other songs Id reccomend to get people into the guy, catchier stuff like "Life", "Sunshine and happiness", "Stangant" "Gaia"....the stuff on his myspace page should get you hooked like it did to me...
http://www.myspace.com/devintownsenddtb

EDIT: F'ing Hell, Bad Devil is one of the catchiest things of his Ive ever Heard! Very rare something of his grabs me like this on first listen, Im on my 4th consecutive listen now...

Mannen som blev en gris
09-04-2006, 08:55 AM
....I don't get it.

I have nothing else to say.

Jebus
09-04-2006, 11:54 AM
BOTH! Loser.

Not really. Most people just don't want to hear things that aren't already somewhat familiar to them.
You're completely right, Nieh. Everybody does have horrible taste in music and I rock. Thanks!

How didnt i notice this thread.
Ive become addicted to this guys solo/non SYL stuff over the last few months, and Infinity is the last of his solo albums I need to buy, so I may download some of these songs...Id have reccomended "Christeen" personally to get people here into it, thanks to the influence of the master of catchy chorus's - Ginger, of Wildhearts fame...
Id seriously reccomend you get Terria if you havent already, although they're all safe bets....Physicist is definatly the half way between Townsend solo and Strapping though...
For other songs Id reccomend to get people into the guy, catchier stuff like "Life", "Sunshine and happiness", "Stangant" "Gaia"....the stuff on his myspace page should get you hooked like it did to me...
http://www.myspace.com/devintownsenddtb

EDIT: F'ing Hell, Bad Devil is one of the catchiest things of his Ive ever Heard! Very rare something of his grabs me like this on first listen, Im on my 4th consecutive listen now...
I thought about posting Christeen, but I don't think it's as good as the other ones. Bad Devil should be enough to catch most people's ears. I've never heard such a grooving metal song ever.

I've heard Accelerated Evolution before. It's good and all, but it just isn't as fun Infinity. I guess it's a bit too mainstream for my tastes since it doesn't have that crazyness that I love about Infinity. I also downloaded a few more of his albums yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. I did listen to Deep Peace from Terria though. Oh man, that solo! It sounded so freaken heavenly! There's just something about it.

....I don't get it.
How do you not get Bad Devil!? It's such a catchy song!

Piedude
09-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Yeah, Accelerated Evolution doesnt have much crazyness about it, only got that a few days ago myself....Synchestra has some crazy bits to it...
Anyway, at least this thread has urged me to get Infinity a bit sooner than I would have otherwise....

FrancoDaHui
09-05-2006, 07:49 PM
FrancoDaHui is a fag that gave it a seven and posted a gay Bad Religion song right after. :(

so i'm a fag because i didn't like your song and posted a kick ass Bad Religion song?

i don't get it, besides i didn't like the voice of the guy, that's why i gave it a 7

other than that, yout post made me laugh

BREAK
09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I wonder why arak0r (or whatever his name is) hasn't responded to this.

Piedude
09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Jebus, Can I also reccomend you give The Wildhearts a try, a band with close links to Devin...he played with them for a few months in 1994, appeared a few years later doing backing vocals for bsides and seemed to be planning a band with the frontman Ginger at one point, who's credited as Christeen co-writer...so yeah, you may like em, I reccomend anything off Earth vs The Wildhearts...
I also read today Infinity may be re-recorded in early 2007 to make it the album he wanted it to be, apparently the version we have at the moment is a tracklist he didnt want, it took him a year and a half and it still wasnt right, he was being rushed by record companies, so on...and he had to spend time in a mental hopsital when he'd finished it...so thats the rumour I read, apparently going to be called Infinity Squared (with a little 2)...

H1T_That
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
I skipped right to the last page so i don't know if this has already been said, but when i first head Devin Downsend was going solo, i thought it would be heavy stuff. Him bing the lead singer of Strapping Young Lad and all, but its actually not.

Also, if no-one has reccommended it, i suggest everyone listen to Christeen. Great song.

Jebus
09-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Christeen is on the bottom of my favorite list. I was thinking about posting it but I didn't want to give away the whole album.

but whatever, I'll just post it since you two seem to like it a lot.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D8E6345519C6FE4D

so i'm a fag because i didn't like your song and posted a kick ass Bad Religion song?

i don't get it, besides i didn't like the voice of the guy, that's why i gave it a 7

other than that, yout post made me laugh

huh? Judging by your last line, it seems you caught the sarcasm but you still took it seriously at the beginning.

Jebus, Can I also reccomend you give The Wildhearts a try,
alright, cool. I'll check them out during the weekend.

H1T_That
09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Christeen is on the bottom of my favorite list. I was thinking about posting it but I didn't want to give away the whole album.

but whatever, I'll just post it since you two seem to like it a lot.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D8E6345519C6FE4D

huh? Judging by your last line, it seems you caught the sarcasm but you still took it seriously at the beginning.

alright, cool. I'll check them out during the weekend.

I think Christeen is one of the best songs on the album that i've heard (i have only heard 3/4 of the album).

That reminds me, The Wildhearts. Fucking amazing band. Their lead singer Ginger's side project (Ginger & The Sonic Circus) are also very good. Look out for Vanilla Radio, in my opinion their best song.

Bit o' trivia : Ginger originally comes from my hometown, a small village in the northeast of England.

FrancoDaHui
09-06-2006, 06:30 PM

well i didn't like that you said "a gay bad religion song", that's what i took seriously XD

nieh
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I just went on a Devin Townsend downloading spree after listening to Bad Devil and Ants again recently. The album Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics is absolutely hilarious. It makes fun of the bands that sell out by drastically changing their style to make a quick buck as well as the people that take that kind of stuff seriously. It starts off with a death metal band by the name of Cryptic Coroner. They walk out on stage for a show to nothing but laughs at their over-seriousness and growling vocals. Their guitarist then breaks a string while playing, they talk amongst themselves and decide that in order to avoid getting further harassed by the crowd, they should start playing pop-punk. They struggle trying to get everything right for like 30 seconds and then kick into the song after one of the members announces to the others to "think Green Day!". After that show, they become the next big thing and are hugely successful. After a couple songs, the band has a meeting with their death metal manager who is confused by punk and doesn't understand their decision to start playing it. During the entire meeting, every member of the band as well as their manager speaks in the growly death metal vocals to each other (which they even discuss in the meeting, saying they need to make their voices higher to be more accessible). They refer to their manager as "my lord" and speak of world domination. They end up making lots of money and winning a grammy. When the singer tries to hook up with a groupie, he ends up getting rejected because she realizes he's actually metal and not punk and is disgusted. It's awesome.

Recipe for Bait (http://download.yousendit.com/FD3AD9B96AD011EC) The first track to the album.
EZ$$ (http://download.yousendit.com/F35054FE61C60275) The song that ends with the band's meeting with their manager.

Piedude
06-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I was never too fond of EZ$$, Recipe for Bait's excellent but i think my favorites might be the hidden track Larrys'-O and Crustys at the Ivanhoe
Not sure its the kinda album that will appeal to all Offspring fans though, especially not the "yeah, PUNK!, Offspring are punk rock, how dare you suggest other genre's!" fans...not with the little monologue at the end of Larrys-O to say "If you havent spotted already, I dont like punk, its ridiculous and I made this album in 3 weeks"
Still trying to get into his latest comedy-concept album Ziltoid, Im sure some more of it will click eventually...but I do think Punky is funnier.

nieh
06-10-2007, 11:51 AM
I mostly put EZ$$ up because I find the meeting at the end hilarious. Crusty's at the Ivan is good stuff though. I wonder if it bothers Devin Townsend when he hears that people genuinely like the songs on that album considering he was kind of poking fun at the genre.

Jebus
06-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. This needs its own thread. The manager bit had me cracking up.

I wonder if it bothers Devin Townsend when he hears that people genuinely like the songs on that album considering he was kind of poking fun at the genre.
I don't know. I kind of caught the impression of it having an underlying irony poking fun at those people who criticize/make fun of punk in general as well. I don't think he really hates punk that much. Whatever, I'd still probably genuinely like the music even it was made by a real punk band.

nieh
06-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Here's the whole album if you want it. They cover a few different punk styles from pop-punk (randing from mid-90s to Ramones-ish stuff) to hardcore, to the 'mature' song you hear all the pop-punk bands do.
http://download.yousendit.com/A779481E18331F4D