PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarized, copied, stolen songs...

Melissa_ab90
09-09-2006, 03:18 PM
.................................................. .....-----------

H1T_That
09-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Please re-word, i don't understand what you are asking.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I think he means something along the lines of "Dani California" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance". I'm not entirely positive though.

Llamas
09-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Edge of seventeen... bootylicious.

Under pressure... ice ice baby.

even if that's what she means, this thread is boring.

BREAK
09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
The Offspring - Come Out And Play
The Offspring - Why Don't You Get A Job

0r4ng3
09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
And in a way, Walla Walla.

Tijs
09-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Not to mention the song Dexter wrote for Puffy Ami Yumi.

Llamas
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
what are you guys talking about? the offspring stole music from themselves?

Apathy
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Nah, Why Don't you get a job was based on Ob la di Ob la Da by the Beatles. And Orange is referring to Too Much Drama by the Vandals, but technically he wrote the song, and they changed the lyrics, so It's more like they did a parody of walla walla.

I have no idea what he means with COAP though.

bd007h
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
a lot of Oasis songs have things that were stolen from other songs.

DeAtHsTaR
09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Almost every song on Chuck by Sum 41 is ripping something off.

The Bitter End's riffs, solos, and vocal melody are extremely similar to Battery by Metallica.

the verses in Some Say sound like those in Wonderwall by Oasis.

I'm pretty sure Welcome to Hell sounds like a Bad Religion song.

the intro to No Reason is similar to that of Infest by Papa Roach.

We're All to Blame is extremely similar to Chop Suey by SOAD.

Most of the rest of the songs rip off Linkin Park in some way, including one song where they actually take the lyrics AND the melody from an LP song. (Just one line)

OTHER SUM "INFLUENCES"

The Hell Song's verse lines are sung in the same melody as How You Remind Me by nickelback.

Mr. Amsterdam's riff is lifted from Dammit I Changed Again by Offspring.

The intro to Summer sounds like Beheaded by Offspring, and the drums come in at the exact same time.

One time they were ripped off themselves though, was Motivation, as Green Day ripped that song off with She's a Rebel. She's a Rebel also took the riff from Molly's Lips by Nirvana/Vaselines.

All About Eve
09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Dude, it's not "ripping off". Bands use common riffs like that all the time. I bet that there are a bunch of other bands with riffs like those in Chuck or Smash by the Offspring, or any other punk album.

Llamas
09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
We're All to Blame is extremely similar to Chop Suey by SOAD.

Okay, it's similar in that it starts out hard and fast, super fast chugging guitars, into melodic guitaring and singing... the verses and choruses themselves are completely different.

the verses in Some Say sound like those in Wonderwall by Oasis. barely. only the first two notes of each verse.

the intro to No Reason is similar to that of Infest by Papa Roach. yes, in the fact that it's muffled yelling over meshed guitars. the song itself is not even close, though.

Mr. Amsterdam's riff is lifted from Dammit I Changed Again by Offspring. that's quite a stretch.

The intro to Summer sounds like Beheaded by Offspring, and the drums come in at the exact same time. that's an even bigger stretch. The first two notes are the same. The intro in general is way different.

DeAtHsTaR
09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Dude, it's not "ripping off". Bands use common riffs like that all the time. I bet that there are a bunch of other bands with riffs like those in Chuck or Smash by the Offspring, or any other punk album.

It's not just the riffs, it's the vocal melodies. You can't say The Bitter End doesn't sound exactly like Battery by Metallica in every way possible, just shortened.

DeAtHsTaR
09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
1.Okay, it's similar in that it starts out hard and fast, super fast chugging guitars, into melodic guitaring and singing... the verses and choruses themselves are completely different.

2.barely. only the first two notes of each verse.

3.that's an even bigger stretch. The first two notes are the same. The intro in general is way different.
1. The structure is nearly identical.

2. I'm talking about the vocals, not the notes.

3. It's played in the same key, and it's not a common key.

All About Eve
09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
1. The structure is nearly identical.
Nearly identical, but not completely, makes it a totally different song. Doesn't matter how similar it is.

3. It's played in the same key, and it's not a common key.
And there are what, thirteen keys? For millions of songs? Some are going to have similar riffs in the same key, fact.

It's not just the riffs, it's the vocal melodies. You can't say The Bitter End doesn't sound exactly like Battery by Metallica in every way possible, just shortened.
I don't know either song well enough to disprove this, but even so, who cares? Everyone knows Brown is a metal fan, and turning metal into punk or punk into metal (riff, vocals, etc) is not an unheard of concept.

0r4ng3
09-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Dammit I Changed Again and 911 For Peace (Anti-Flag) have the same chord progression! Plagiarism! Un-PC! Selloutz! You LOSE, good DAY sir!

Seriously though, just because two songs sound similar, it doesn't mean that one band directly copied off of another.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Streetlight Manifesto uses old classical songs in their music. My friend started freaking out when I showed him If and When We Rise because the interlude in the middle is the exact same as some classical song he learned how to play in band a year or 2 ago.

DeAtHsTaR
09-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Dammit I Changed Again and 911 For Peace (Anti-Flag) have the same chord progression! Plagiarism! Un-PC! Selloutz! You LOSE, good DAY sir!

Seriously though, just because two songs sound similar, it doesn't mean that one band directly copied off of another.

True, but only when it's a common chord progression and it's safe to say that one artist doesn't listen to the other's music. Everyone knows Sum 41 listens to bands like Offspring. I'm not criticizing them, I'm just pointing out some similarities.

DeAtHsTaR
09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Streetlight Manifesto uses old classical songs in their music. My friend started freaking out when I showed him If and When We Rise because the interlude in the middle is the exact same as some classical song he learned how to play in band a year or 2 ago.

Yeah On and On and On's bridge is from a classical song. Canon in D or something.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2006, 11:07 PM
If/When we Rise has part of "Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G minor" by Johannes Brahms, according to Wikipedia.

Tigger Army
09-11-2006, 11:49 PM
I have no idea what he means with COAP though.

The offspring got sued in 1994 or 1995 because of a guitar riff (the egyptian sounding one) in COAP that sounds like Agent Orange's Bloodstain. Needless to say AO lost the case. Well that riff does sound somewhat similar

Llamas
09-12-2006, 12:13 AM
I think it's ridiculous that people get worked up over this stuff. I tend to just enjoy how the same thing can be used to make a completely different song. Like "edge of seventeen" sounds NOTHING like "bootylicious", yet they have the same intro guitar part. I think it's awesome.

Acoustic1804
09-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Rogue Traiders (is that how you spell it)

I find they are very guilty of stealing other people's music very obviously and they are an extreme embaressment to Australia.

H1T_That
09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Rogue Traiders (is that how you spell it)

I find they are very guilty of stealing other people's music very obviously and they are an extreme embaressment to Australia.

Are you talking about them who did that dancy Voodoo Child song?

All About Eve
09-12-2006, 01:35 PM
The offspring got sued in 1994 or 1995 because of a guitar riff (the egyptian sounding one) in COAP that sounds like Agent Orange's Bloodstain. Needless to say AO lost the case. Well that riff does sound somewhat similar
Huh, I never realized that. It does sound similar though.

0r4ng3
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
That's why the Vandals wrote "Aging Orange".

I'm Palm Palm head
and I wrote one good song
But that was almost 20 years ago
I tried and I tried to follow it up
But you know how those sophomore jinxes go

So I became quite bitter
as sales dropped like flies
No one likes these dumb songs
of racing cars and spies

Maybe it's my ape drape
or hippies in my band
But now we only tour in Arizona
or Japan

So after much thought
and a panel of experts
I came up with a brilliant little plan
I'll take out my frustrations
on one of these ungrateful new punk rock bands

Cuz I invented socks
and I invented gravy
I made up the cotton gin
but no one ever paid me

Why beat a dead horse
with a career that is cursed?
I'll just sue for royalties
on things I thought of first

Back in Ancient Egypt
many Pharaohs went to jail
for misappropriation
of my Phrigian scale

I said listen to Tutankhamen
you're driving me insane
it's obvious those bellies
are all dancing to Bloodstains

I figured out you owe me
and please try not to laugh
but every time I hear it
I get one more golden calf

So I've bitten off
a sizable chunk
of the hands of the people
with the food

Now I'm confined to the pages of Flipside
a graveyard of punk rock's 35 year old dudes

Cuz I invented socks
and I invented gravy
I made up the cotton gin
but no one ever paid me

Why beat a dead horse
with a career that is cursed?
I'll just sue for royalties
on things I thought of first

Palm Palm!
Palm Palm!
Palm Palm!
Ape Drape!
Ape Drape!
Poodle Head!
Poodle Head!

Acoustic1804
09-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about them who did that dancy Voodoo Child song?

Yes, that is who I'm talking about.

DeAtHsTaR
09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
That's why the Vandals wrote "Aging Orange".
Haha, awesome. Yeah, that riff doesn't really sound similar to COAP.