PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa's gonna getcha

Mota Boy
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I was behind this slow-ass-driving old lady today and it got me thinking about old people. Traditionally, they were weak and useless, but thanks to modern technology they've become weak and dangerous. As they grow more and more feeble and as their senses and reaction times deteriorate, the elderly pose a greater risk to society by getting behind the wheel of a car. Also, elderly surgeons are more likely to perform mistakes than their younger bretheren. Should there be a cut-off point? Should it be arbitrary, like the driving age for youth? A birthday rolls around and then it's forcible retirement or reliance on a driver? Or should it be based on a yearly/monthly exam? Forcible retirement is not without presidence - airline pilots are forced to retire upon reaching their sixtieth birthday. Thoughts?

Betty
09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
I've thought about this before, probably right after a near-collision with a boat-car turning left in front of me driven by a tiny old dude who can't even see over the top of the steering wheel.

But really... I'm pretty sure there's already a system where old people have to have yearly (?) eye exams to renew their license. If not, that's how it should be. And I guess they should have to pay a fee for it too. They could possibly have some other tests as well (motor skills, written questions regarding driving, etc.) I think choosing an arbitrary age is really tricky because it would SUCK for the seniors that are perfectly fine and dandy to not be allowed to drive because of the blind senile ones out there. My neighbour's gotta be around 65 and his job IS driving. He delivers newspapers to a city a few hours away daily. I'm sure he would do that for at least another 5-10 years, and he'd be perfectly competent, if he doesn't die from lung cancer or kidney failure in the meantime.

In places like Toronto, apparently the threat imposed by asian drivers is much much worse than that imposed by seniors... should they have their licenses revoked as well?

Tigger Army
09-13-2006, 02:25 AM
when it comes to driving I think pretty much EVERYONE should be re-examined about yearly. Ofcourse plenty elderly wouldn't mind not driving their cars if someone else would transport them. Why not give every old person a chauffeur! ;)

HornyPope
09-13-2006, 08:55 AM
In places like Toronto, apparently the threat imposed by asian drivers is much much worse than that imposed by seniors... should they have their licenses revoked as well?

http://i8.tinypic.com/2yvqesm.gif

Whiplash
09-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I was behind this slow-ass-driving old lady today and it got me thinking about old people. Traditionally, they were weak and useless, but thanks to modern technology they've become weak and dangerous. As they grow more and more feeble and as their senses and reaction times deteriorate, the elderly pose a greater risk to society by getting behind the wheel of a car. Also, elderly surgeons are more likely to perform mistakes than their younger bretheren. Should there be a cut-off point? Should it be arbitrary, like the driving age for youth? A birthday rolls around and then it's forcible retirement or reliance on a driver? Or should it be based on a yearly/monthly exam? Forcible retirement is not without presidence - airline pilots are forced to retire upon reaching their sixtieth birthday. Thoughts?

You've seen that south park episode right?, The one with the driving killer seniors.

clokey43
09-14-2006, 07:03 AM
I agree that older drivers are dangerous and there should be some sort of test at a certain age that determines your compentacy to drive and then once a year after that. However, elderly aren't the most dangerous out there. I am 19 so come in to the age range but a lot more younger people drive worse than the elderly. It all depends on your driving skills in general not age. Well in my opinion.

Killer Dwarf
09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
In the USA 115 people die everyday in car wrecks. I think 30 to 40% are alcohol related. But I don't know how many are "old" people. Reminds me of "Bad Habit" from Smash.

Lars
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
My uncle was killed by an old driver. He was riding his bike along and she hit him at 50mph. She claimed my uncle was swerving around, which seems very very unlikey. The only other witness was her passenger who was an old male. From what I've gathered she was quite old and people who knew my uncle thought she shouldn't have been driving.

I'm pretty sure in the UK, after a certain age you've got to renew your license every 5 years or so.

Sexy Panda
09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
When I'm on my motorbike I'm looking out for every driver. Everybody is dangerous behind a car, the elderly just have a bad reputation..............because noboby likes the elderly.

calichix
09-20-2006, 10:50 AM
dude, I've pondered the very same thing. and innit weird how people start off needing assistance for eating, shitting, getting into bed, etc. then whabam..?

noodlesfan
09-23-2006, 06:07 AM
I've always suggested that there should be a manditory re-take of the driving exam after you turn 50, and every 5 years after that.