PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Album of All Time

Thomas
09-13-2006, 08:52 PM
You read it right. What do you think is the greatest album of all time?

I'm torn between The Beatles' Abbey Road because it was just plain amazing, Please Please me, not because of it's musicality, but rather because of how much it changed music forever, Led Zeppelin's IV, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and (even though I'm gonna get flamed for this) Rush's Moving Pictures because it is just plain phenomenal.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Best album in past 10 years (maybe shorter): Billy Talent II

Best album: Led Zeppelin IV, for sure.

DeAtHsTaR
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Why would you be flamed for liking Rush? They are an incredible band, but I think the earliest albums were the best because Geddy could sing better.

All About Eve
09-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Version 2.0 - Garbage
Scenes from a Memory - Dream Theater
REM - Automatic for the People
Michael Jackson - Number Ones

0r4ng3
09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Best album in past 10 years (maybe shorter): Billy Talent II
Dammit, beat me to it. Another contender is "Everything Goes Numb" by Streetlight Manifesto.

I don't mean of all time, of course. I'm talking about in recent years.

Thomas
09-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Why would you be flamed for liking Rush? They are an incredible band, but I think the earliest albums were the best because Geddy could sing better.

Because they are considered far from the greatest band ever. I consider them to be the most talented band in the world, but not the best. There is a difference. And I just thought that no one would really consider a Rush album to be the greatest album of all time.

coke_a_holic
09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
London fucking Calling.

DeAtHsTaR
09-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Dammit, beat me to it. Another contender is "Everything Goes Numb" by Streetlight Manifesto.

I don't mean of all time, of course. I'm talking about in recent years.
Seconded.

(10)

wheelchairman
09-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Musicality must be the stupidest word ever.

Acoustic1804
09-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Led Zeppilin IV vs ACDC Back in Black

nieh
09-14-2006, 05:21 AM
You really shouldn't call an album the best ever simply because of how influential it was so Please Please Me probably shouldn't be in the running.

Anyway, my favorites are Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante and the Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium.

opivy21
09-14-2006, 05:36 AM
The Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime

Overlooked masterpiece.

Marco
09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
The Plantinum Collection - QUEEN!!!

Sinister
09-14-2006, 07:30 AM
The Offspring - Conspiracy of One.

just kidding. Actually, probably Led Zep. IV

FrancoDaHui
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
FOR ME The New America by Bad Religion and London Calling by The Clash

miqal
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
ignition Or smash

bd007h
09-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Billy Talent II best album in past 10 years? WTF?

XYlophonetreeZ
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
What do you think was the best album in the past 10 years? I doubt it's anything less worthy of ridicule.

JohnnyNemesis
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Depeche Mode's "Music for the Masses" might be the greatest album of all time.

My favorites are that one, "Ignition" by The Offspring, "Feedback is Payback" by 1208, "Death is Certain" by Royce Da 5'9, "Straight Ahead" by Pennywise, and "Time is the Distance" by Deviates, all in no particular order.

bd007h
09-14-2006, 11:30 AM
What do you think was the best album in the past 10 years? I doubt it's anything less worthy of ridicule.

Weezer's Pinkerton ranks up there. It's on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 best albums of all time (not like that means much though), even after they orignally claimed it was one the worst albums of 1996.

Llamas
09-14-2006, 12:38 PM
My favorites:
offspring- ixnay on the hombre
natalie imbruglia- white lilies island
alanis morissette- supposed former infatuation junkie
sister hazel- fortress

basically, the four albums I've listened to the most/ love the most.

0r4ng3
09-14-2006, 12:40 PM
To be honest, it's my favorite of all time. I'm only saying in "recent years" because the oldest album I've ever heard is from 1982.

JohnnyNemesis
09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
alanis morissette- supposed former infatuation junkie

Joining You is one of the best songs I have ever heard ever.

BuddyHolly
09-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Ignite - A Place Called Home

Retard
09-14-2006, 01:08 PM
A few Contenders for me are

London Calling: The Clash
Fuck World Trade: Leftover Crack
Revolver: The Beatles
Punk In Drublic: NOFX
No Gods No Managers: Choking Victim
and maybe Combat Rock: The Clash

one of my favorite albums but certainly not one of the best is Enema of The State by Blink, because that was the album that started me on everything that i listen to now. before that it was only really Weird Al, and the two Space Ghost cds.

BREAK
09-14-2006, 01:29 PM
The White Album >>>>>> Abbey Road
Houses of the Holy >>>>>> IV
Meddle >>>>>>> Dark Side of the Moon
Everything >>>>>>> Rush

I refuse to share my opinion on the basis that even I don't care.

T-6005
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Muse - Origin of Symmetry

That's probably my favorite album of all time. It's hard to choose, though, because there are some albums that have been such a huge part of what I listen to that I feel bad kicking them out, involving everything from The Living End to Marc Lavoine, even to Coldplay's Parachutes.

I even still think that some Limp Bizkit albums are awesome (as long as I don't listen to the lyrics, anyways), or that AFI's Sing the Sorrow had me listening to it for months and months on end on repeat.

And I can't put down albums like Muse's Black Holes and Revelations because it hasn't really stood the test of time for me yet.

All About Eve
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Forgot to mention Throwing the Game - Lucky Boys Confusion. Not the best by any means, but definitely one of my favorites.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Exactly why I knew I was safe saying it.

"Ignition" by The Offspring, "Feedback is Payback" by 1208, "Straight Ahead" by Pennywise.

I second these choices. I'm also on my way to really starting to like Deviates.
--
Dark Side of The Moon is a beautiful album, but I like Wish You Were Here and Animals better.

Led Zeppelin IV is a fantastic album, but I like Led Zeppelin III and In Through The Out Door better.
--
If there is any band I really want to get into, it's Streetlight Manifesto. I'm going to look for a Streetlight Manifesto thread and ask for just a few uploads.

Edit: I forgot the Beatles. Now, I have tons of Beatles songs, but I don't listen to them that frequently, and I don't have the album names associated with the songs. When I do, I will get back to you all.

JohnnyNemesis
09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Sweet.

Also, bd007h is never, ever, EVER in a position to knock ANYONE'S taste in music, EVER.

Also, AFI's "Black Sails in the Sunset" is one of my all time faves.

DeAtHsTaR
09-14-2006, 05:22 PM
If there is any band I really want to get into, it's Streetlight Manifesto. I'm going to look for a Streetlight Manifesto thread and ask for just a few uploads.
Just download or buy Everythign Goes Numb. You will not regret it, I guarantee.

coke_a_holic
09-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Streetlight Manifesto is AMAZING. I don't have any uploads for you, but I agree with dain, get Everything Goes Numb anyway you can. Buy it, steal it from a store, steal it from one of your friends, download it, find the music for all the instruments and perform it to yourself, whatever, I don't care, just figure out a way to let the sounds flow into your ears, it's one of the single greatest cds I've ever listened to.

EDIT: that cd would definitely be in the groupings for one of the best albums of all time.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
That was my plan, but I usually try to listen to at least one song before buying an album, but I'll trust your opinion on this one as I heard this one was outstanding from many members here.

coke_a_holic
09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Here, I can upload the only song I have by them on this particular computer just so you can get an idea of what they're like.

Watch this spot, I'll edit it in when it's done loading.

DeAtHsTaR
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
That was my plan, but I usually try to listen to at least one song before buying an album, but I'll trust your opinion on this one as I heard this one was outstanding from many members here.
Free downloads of the song Everything Went Numb are all over the place, maybe even on the band's page, but it's not the best song on the album.

Here, I can upload the only song I have by them on this particular computer just so you can get an idea of what they're like.

Watch this spot, I'll edit it in when it's done loading.

What song are you going to upload?

nieh
09-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Everything Went Numb (http://download.yousendit.com/D35595C1063EC232)

I win!

coke_a_holic
09-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Here's to Life is the only song I have on this computer, so I'll be uploading that, but I wish I could upload Point/Counterpoint or A Moment of Silence. My favorite song by them changes so much; I just want to upload the entire cd.

Here's to Life! (http://www.savefile.com/files/71290)

DeAtHsTaR
09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Here's to Life is the only song I have on this computer, so I'll be uploading that, but I wish I could upload Point/Counterpoint or A Moment of Silence. My favorite song by them changes so much; I just want to upload the entire cd.

I'll edit the song into THIS post.+

I can upload A Moment of Silence.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
*purchases Everything Goes Numb online*

Thank you for the upload.

JohnnyNemesis
09-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Sweet deal, but let's move Streetlight Manifesto talk to an exclusive thread so as not to go off-topic too much. But sweet, I'm glad you're all gettin' hooked up!

DeAtHsTaR
09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
*purchases Everything Goes Numb online*

Thank you for the upload.
Haha, which song convinced you to buy it?

Thomas
09-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Just for the record, the greatest album ever doesn't have to be the best. Their is a huge different between best and greatest.

DeAtHsTaR
09-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Just for the record, the greatest album ever doesn't have to be the best. Their is a huge different between best and greatest.

Elaborate.

T-6005
09-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm switching to Pauline Hansen for the duration of "Please explain."

Thomas
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Elaborate.

An album could musically be the best thing you've ever heard, but it's could not have been as awe-inspiring, influential, or big as another album. It's kind of an abstract definiteion, but it's really not that hard to understand. For instance, I think that Rush is a better band than the Beatles, but The Beatles were a greater band. Comprendes?

RickyCrack
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
In that case is say "Cowboys from Hell" by pantera.

All About Eve
09-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Depeche Mode's "Music for the Masses" might be the greatest album of all time.

My favorites are that one, "Ignition" by The Offspring, "Feedback is Payback" by 1208, "Death is Certain" by Royce Da 5'9, "Straight Ahead" by Pennywise, and "Time is the Distance" by Deviates, all in no particular order.
I though you would support Version 2.0 =(

JohnnyNemesis
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
I really love that album, but I don't consider it an all time favorite. It's extremely good though; mindblowing, even.

Ninty Man
09-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Legend (or in another case, Catch a fire) of Bob Marley

Van Halen self titled

0r4ng3
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Also, AFI's "Black Sails in the Sunset" is one of my all time faves.
That's my favorite by AFI, but I think Sing the Sorrow is a better album as a whole.

My favorites (NOT ones I consider best) currently:
1. Billy Talent II
2. Everything Goes Numb
3. Sing the Sorrow
4. (with the exception of a few songs) Americana. No, I'm serious.

All About Eve
09-14-2006, 08:49 PM
STS gets an honorable mention from me.

T-6005
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
An album could musically be the best thing you've ever heard, but it's could not have been as awe-inspiring, influential, or big as another album. It's kind of an abstract definiteion, but it's really not that hard to understand. For instance, I think that Rush is a better band than the Beatles, but The Beatles were a greater band. Comprendes?
Even though yo te comprendo, I think you're wrong in your definition. As long as you push out current favorites, greatest and best should be synonymous.

lol jus mi opinon dun h8!

WebDudette
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Afi-Sing the Sorrow/All Hallows
Red Hot Chili Peppers-By the Way
Depeche Mode-Some Great Reward

These aren't albums I would consider the best or greatest. They are just albums that I listen to no matter what type of genre I'm into at the time.

Jebus
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Mahavishunu Orchestra - Birds of Fire is really a ground breaking album for the time it was made. I don't know if I could say it's the greatest, but it's definitely gonna be remembered through out the ages for those into that type of music.

Thomas
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Even though yo te comprendo, I think you're wrong in your definition. As long as you push out current favorites, greatest and best should be synonymous.

lol jus mi opinon dun h8!

Well, yeah, but I'm only talking about single albums, not bands.

ninthlayer
09-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Musicality must be the stupidest word ever.
Truth.

"Time is the Distance" by Deviates
I almost uploaded that album a few days ago after I saw it in my cd pile.

Also, bd007h is never, ever, EVER in a position to knock ANYONE'S taste in music, EVER.
Common knowledge, right?

But you guys completely neglected the best album EVAR:
Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight

Llamas
09-15-2006, 12:43 AM
omg I skimmed that at first as "dave matthews band" and I almost cried myself to sleep.

Not Ozymandias
09-15-2006, 12:46 AM
http://www.patmartino.net/images/AlbumCovers/Pesci_SongsForYou.jpg

Llamas
09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Forgot to mention Throwing the Game - Lucky Boys Confusion. Not the best by any means, but definitely one of my favorites.
I liked commitment and how to get out alive better. HTGOA is a great, great EP.

bouncingcoles
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
i dont wanna be cliche so im going to say my personal favorite album. The fragile by nine inch nails is a masterpiece.

Tigger Army
09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I've got no clue really. I could tell you my fav album by *insert band name* but overall?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Haha, which song convinced you to buy it?

The first five seconds of the title track. Edit: I realized it was "Everything Went Numb", so it really isn't a title track.
--
There are seven items on my favorite albums list: Billy Talent II, Billy Talent, Ignition, Smash, Make A Sound by Autopilot Off, Queens of the Stone Age, and Something To Crow About by Riverboat Gamblers.

Black Sails, Straight Ahead, Feedback Is Payback, Superunknown, and The Stories Are True by Time Again need a few more listens before they make the list. I even have a feeling sometime in the near future Everything Goes Numb will be awfully close to this list.

Jakebert
09-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't know what the greatest album is, but in terms on influence, I'd go with:

R.E.M.-Murmur. After this album came out, tons of tiny little alternative bands popped up out of nowhere, completely influenced by this album. Set the standard for modern alternative rock.

Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation. This album basically created the whole 90's alternative rock craze 3 years before the 90's even started. But, unlike all of that crap that came out in the 90's, this album is actually memorable, and is just plain amazing. Defininitive 1980's alternative rock album.

The Velvet Underground- White Light/White Heat. The first rock album to experiment with distortion on a grand scale. Obviously, very important seeing as almost every rock album made today has the kind of distortion this album pioneered, even if it didn't get any credit for it at the time it was released.

Come out and smash'em up!
09-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Nirvana - nevermind
Offspring - smash and americana
Metallica - Black album

offspring fan
09-18-2006, 03:53 AM
Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Leddy - IV
Beatles - That Good One
Queen - Opera

harmony
09-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Tough question. There are so many great albums out there; All most all Beatle, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd albums are great! + No Doubts "Tragic Kingdom" , Fleetwood Macs "Rumors", Tom Petty "Full Moon Fever" and Justin Timberlakes new one "Future sex/love sounds" are awesome too!
But when all is said and done, I am going to answer The Offspring's "Conspiracy of One" because I wore out my first copy. The first three years I had the cd, it was always in one of my cd players. I had to buy another copy, which is now again safely in one of many cd players.
But I have a feeling the new album will surpass all expectations, blowing away the fans.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-18-2006, 04:27 AM
we are talking about THE greatest not ones you like, nothing released since 2000 has been any good (excluding: AOLAD,IM)

harmony
09-18-2006, 04:33 AM
just my opinion, sorry!

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-18-2006, 04:44 AM
nothing against, just in the big picture nothing todays beats old school

Llamas
09-18-2006, 04:54 AM
we are talking about THE greatest not ones you like, nothing released since 2000 has been any good (excluding: AOLAD,IM)

It's obviously your opinion that nothing since 2000 has been any good. There has been a TON of stuff post 2000 that's downright amazing. And it is possible to define the greatest albums ever based on what you personally like. She listed her favorite albums of all time, which, in her mind, makes them the greatest ever.

I still can't believe that you think that no amazing music has been made since 2000. Just because none of it is old enough to become classic yet doesn't make it not as good as stuff from the 20th century.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-18-2006, 04:58 AM
It's obviously your opinion that nothing since 2000 has been any good. There has been a TON of stuff post 2000 that's downright amazing. And it is possible to define the greatest albums ever based on what you personally like. She listed her favorite albums of all time, which, in her mind, makes them the greatest ever.

I still can't believe that you think that no amazing music has been made since 2000. Just because none of it is old enough to become classic yet doesn't make it not as good as stuff from the 20th century.

i understand that but since Y2K all there has been is rap shit which completely sucks (my oppinion). The style has changed since the 70's. also i add Thriller and Back In Black which practically are the best records

harmony
09-18-2006, 05:03 AM
nothing against, just in the big picture nothing todays beats old school

I see what u are saying. I am an optimist and hope that music does improve. It is my opinion that there are a lot of great musicians out there that have the ability to create great music that is better than the classics.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

Llamas
09-18-2006, 05:06 AM
i understand that but since Y2K all there has been is rap shit which completely sucks (my oppinion). The style has changed since the 70's. also i add Thriller and Back In Black which practically are the best records

I think you listen to the radio too much. There isn't more rap being written now than there was in the 1970s... there's just more of it on the radio.

And what "style" are you talking about that changed? Music in general? Because that's pretty unrealistically broad.

harmony
09-18-2006, 05:24 AM
The only thing constant in life is change. Everything is in a state of change. So with free will musicians can decide if they want to write songs that are great or songs to fill space on a cd. Music has been evolving for many many years, just like everything else. All genre's experiment and try something different.
I don't think all music on the radio is great. When I hear some songs being played i think to myself 'who's dick did they suck to get this played or where was the muse during the writing process?' Music on the radio is suppose to be music that all people can relate to in general.
But i also know to each is it's own. People listen to what and who they relate too. so there is music for all folk. Back in the days, Bach took the chants of priest and added the orchestra.
Sorry if i babbled, didn't make sense or was grammatically incorrect, it's late and I'm high.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-18-2006, 05:25 AM
The only thing constant in life is change. Everything is in a state of change. Music has been evolving for many many years, just like everything else. All genre's experiment and try something different.

that is what i mean

harmony
09-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Thank god we live in a world that anything is possible.
I think having music talents is a true gift, and would love to see more artist develop their talent to the fullest. I hope with the explosion of independent labels that there will be a shift in the music industry that raises the standards of what music makes it to the radio airwaves. There is no limit in music on what can be done or created, especially with all the different instruments and different ways to create music.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-18-2006, 05:53 AM
haha, i can play the recorder and my head phone wire as a bass!!! It makes cool sounds

harmony
09-18-2006, 06:48 AM
I wish i could play the recorder. It was an assignment I failed miserably in college.

Llamas
09-18-2006, 07:04 AM
the recorder is one of those things that's super easy to learn, but way hard to master. My friend has a set of recorders- a soprano, an alto, a tenor, and a baritone. I didn't know they even made other kinds!! The tenor is really awesome. And he's like a whizz at recorder, and plays in a recorder ensemble. I was shocked that those existed. But recorder is very similar in fingerings to saxophone, so I picked it up really easily. :)

I'd love to hear a recorder ensemble do some cover songs of songs we all know... haha.

harmony
09-18-2006, 07:21 AM
i am better with pianos and string instruments.

coke_a_holic
09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow, Manic Subsidal Boy, way to be ignorant of underground music.

Plenty of albums have been made since 2000 that are simply amazing, you're just too into the mainstream stuff to see it. Look past the radio, you'll find a cornicopia of sounds that blow away your idea of what is good music.

Also: I can only really play guitar and bass (not like how other high school kids play the instruments, like I'm learning theory and jazz arranging for other instruments and all that stuff), but I want to pick up saxophone and piano and... well just about any instrument that I can.

Since I know enough about theory that I'm not incompetent, I feel like I just need enough lesson to really get techniques down for seperate instruments and whatnot, rather than taking it as my main focus. As of right now, I want to make enough money so that I can rent different instruments every month and just try them out and see how well I do with them.

Llamas
09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow, Manic Subsidal Boy, way to be ignorant of underground music.

Plenty of albums have been made since 2000 that are simply amazing, you're just too into the mainstream stuff to see it. Look past the radio, you'll find a cornicopia of sounds that blow away your idea of what is good music.

yeah, that's what I was thinking... there's no way that he could think that if he listened to music not in the mainstream.

Also: I can only really play guitar and bass (not like how other high school kids play the instruments, like I'm learning theory and jazz arranging for other instruments and all that stuff), but I want to pick up saxophone and piano and... well just about any instrument that I can.

Since I know enough about theory that I'm not incompetent, I feel like I just need enough lesson to really get techniques down for seperate instruments and whatnot, rather than taking it as my main focus. As of right now, I want to make enough money so that I can rent different instruments every month and just try them out and see how well I do with them.

omg I would so teach you saxophone :) Best instrument ever. It's a great, great starter for wind instruments... as in, it's the easiest wind instrument to learn (but the 2nd hardest to master) and will provide you with the basic background you need to work your way through the rest of the woodwinds, and then move onto brass. That's so cool! And Piano is very related to guitar. I doubt you'll have a terribly hard time picking up piano, especially with experience with Theory. Piano is the most theory-based instrument you can learn, right next to guitar.

I don't know how you learn, but my advice is not to get lessons. If you have the time to devote, the best way to learn a new instrument is to jump in. Get your hands on it, throw on your favorite song on cd, and start trying to play along. Start with trying to play simple melodies and such. If you're just learning wind instruments, you might have to get a book to teach you how to properly blow into the horn and to figure out finger position, but you can also figure that out online. Lessons are the most technical and unpractical way of learning an instrument for fun. They're for either people who are brand new to music, or who are pursuing professionalism out of it.

That's just my advice. :)

coke_a_holic
09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, my private guitar lessons have mostly become theory lessons where I get to have the guitar with me as an audio and visual aid. I planned on just renting a sax first, then trying to figure it out, but a book would be helpful, too. I'm gonna get a jazz arrangement book first, though because I'm going to try and learn how to write music for every type of brass instrument so that I can compose music for a band and have fun... doing that. Speaking of which: which saxophone is the easiest to pick up? My friend says that once you've got alto down, you can take up anything (saxophone-wise), so I was gonna start with that, then work my way down the octaves. Baritone sax seems like some of the most fun you could have playing an instrument, though I really want to try out a tenor.

...supposing that I can get the reed-blowing down. I had a hard time with the trombone, and I know it isn't the same, but I'm wondering if I'll have similar troubles trying to start an instrument with techniques I've never tried before.

opivy21
09-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I personally think that the trombone is a fairly easy instrument. I've had a lot harder time with piano (I don't take it any more) and guitar than trombone. Then again, I've been playing it longer.

But yeah, I would also like to know how to play sax, but I doubt I'll ever try.

Llamas
09-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Speaking of which: which saxophone is the easiest to pick up? My friend says that once you've got alto down, you can take up anything (saxophone-wise), so I was gonna start with that, then work my way down the octaves. Baritone sax seems like some of the most fun you could have playing an instrument, though I really want to try out a tenor.

...supposing that I can get the reed-blowing down. I had a hard time with the trombone, and I know it isn't the same, but I'm wondering if I'll have similar troubles trying to start an instrument with techniques I've never tried before.

As far as the easiest sax: any of them, honestly. The reason Alto is most common as a starter is because it's middle ground, and cheaper than a tenor. Middle ground is good because then you go either direction. I personally never liked playing the bari. I love tenor in jazz, alto in classical, and soprano only in saxophone ensembles. Start with alto, though, I'd say.

The reason I said "it's the easiest wind instrument to learn (but the 2nd hardest to master)" was because it's like this: brass instruments are hard to get a good sound on (buzzing your lips right and building a strong ambouschure is really hard), but once you get the sound and the positions, it's pretty easy. With woodwinds, getting a sound is pretty easy, but sounding good is much, much harder. Also the fingerings are a lot harder to learn. However, Piano and guitar are the easiest to get a good sound out of (pretty much anyone who can play basic chords sounds "good" on either of those), but not very many are, in my opinion, masters of them. I don't know how that may or may affect you.

Getting a sound on sax is easy. You just bite the top of the mouthpiece with your upper teeth, fold your bottom lip over your bottom teeth and press that against the reed... form a tight seal, and blow (making sure about 1/3 of the reed is actually in your mouth). You'll get a sound no problem. And building a woodwind ambouschure is so much easier than building a brass one. The hard part is making that sound you blew actually sound GOOD. It'll probably sound like a dying duck for a while, haha.

Once you pick this up, if you ever want any sax advice (assuming you don't get lessons), feel free to PM me or whatever. I'd be more than happy to give you as much correspondance advice as possible. :)

Llamas
09-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I personally think that the trombone is a fairly easy instrument. I've had a lot harder time with piano (I don't take it any more) and guitar than trombone. Then again, I've been playing it longer.

But yeah, I would also like to know how to play sax, but I doubt I'll ever try.

it all depends on what you start with. I started with sax, so woodwinds were the easiest to learn, brass was second, percussion was third, and strings/piano/guitar were the hardest. You know what I think THE hardest common instrument is without a doubt, though? HARP. Fucking insane.

opivy21
09-18-2006, 07:33 PM
My parents' friend was a harp player. She was very good.

Llamas
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
one of my good friends has been playing harp since she was 5, has been playing professionally since she was 14. she just finished her degree at Northwestern University in Harp. I drove to chicago to see her senior recital. Fucking amazing. She transcribed Dave Brubeck's Take Five for solo harp, including improve solos. She also transcribed Rhapsody in Blue/American in Paris for 2 harps. Best concert I've ever seen in my life. And that's a fucking hard instrument to play... I was just in complete awe.

All About Eve
09-18-2006, 08:13 PM
I played someone's harp once when I was 9, I figured out Ode to Joy in a couple seconds. I thought I was cool.

I'm best at piano; I can play by ear like no one's business.

On topic, a lot of good music has come out since 2000. My favorite stuff is 90s, but stuff like Dream Theater or Sonata Arctica as far as metal, or AFI or Lucky Boys Confusion in the rock genre.

opivy21
09-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Anyone who says that music isn't as good as it used to be needs to pay a little more attention. There is so much good stuff going on. Listen to the Giant Haystacks or the tons of awesome garage bands that are playing.

embryoyo
09-18-2006, 08:29 PM
The first Rage Against the Machine

Camilamazed
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Ilovellamas I didn't know you like Alanis nor Rick likes Joining you.

SFIJ is my favorite off all Alanis albums. I like them all but this one is goddam special to me.

Back to the topic

London Calling
Black Album
The Dark Side of the moon
The immaculate collection

Tigger Army
09-19-2006, 12:05 AM
black album by who? There are several black albums as far as I know

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-19-2006, 01:12 AM
black album by who? There are several black albums as far as I know

metallica

10 Fucks

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Top*gun Soundtrack!

Acoustic1804
09-19-2006, 02:18 AM
The first Rage Against the Machine

You claim this to be the greatest album of all time, yet you fail to even name it :confused:

ninthlayer
09-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Quoted for truth.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-19-2006, 02:35 AM
You claim this to be the greatest album of all time, yet you fail to even name it :confused:

ino eh

10 Fucks

That_Guy91
09-19-2006, 04:22 AM

Self-Titled!

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-19-2006, 05:52 AM
London Calling IS pretty qualifable

Llamas
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Dream Theater or Sonata Arctica

god damn, spot on. LOVE both of those. DT is amazing.

Jakebert
09-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Best instrument ever. . :)

Agreed. I've been playing sax since I was in 5th grade, and I still love it. The great thing about it is if you can play sax, you can play multiple types of saxophone that all sound different, so you feel multi-talented even if you aren't.

The thing I love about sax is the range. There's so many different styles of music that work with it that it's hard to get bored.

Llamas
09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
The thing I love about sax is the range. There's so many different styles of music that work with it that it's hard to get bored.

it's funny cause when I was in highschool and early college, I hated the span of the instrument. I hated that it wasn't common in orchestras (where classical has always been my favorite style to play on sax), and that you couldn't hear it in marching bands. I always felt like it only mattered in jazz band, and that the trumpet was equally important there but more important in classical and marching. Then I grew up a lot, and discovered how much classical repretoire there is for sax, how much color it adds to marching bands, that it sounds better in jazz than trumpet, that it's dominant in ska, and pretty much just sounds good in any style.

Also, when you said range, I think we had this "argument" before, haha... or I've had it with someone else. Range is really the range of notes an instrument can play... genre span I think is what you were referring to. I don't care if you use range to describe something different, but I was really confused! I was like uhhhhh saxophone has probably THE WORST range of all instruments in the world, hah.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-21-2006, 03:46 AM
Blood Sugar Sax Magik

Jakebert
09-21-2006, 05:05 AM
it's funny cause when I was in highschool and early college, I hated the span of the instrument. I hated that it wasn't common in orchestras (where classical has always been my favorite style to play on sax), and that you couldn't hear it in marching bands. I always felt like it only mattered in jazz band, and that the trumpet was equally important there but more important in classical and marching. Then I grew up a lot, and discovered how much classical repretoire there is for sax, how much color it adds to marching bands, that it sounds better in jazz than trumpet, that it's dominant in ska, and pretty much just sounds good in any style.

Also, when you said range, I think we had this "argument" before, haha... or I've had it with someone else. Range is really the range of notes an instrument can play... genre span I think is what you were referring to. I don't care if you use range to describe something different, but I was really confused! I was like uhhhhh saxophone has probably THE WORST range of all instruments in the world, hah.

Yeah, I ment genre span. Anyway, I'm not huge on classical, but my band directer has always been really big on finding classical stuff that fits sax really well. The thing that really surprised me about sax is how well baritone sax fits in with post-rock. I jammed with a band a month or 2 ago and didn't think it would fit at all, but it fit perfectly.

Autonomist
09-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Body Count - S/T

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-21-2006, 05:34 AM
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

2nd that

10 Fucks

grunge
09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
It's " Nevermind " by nirvana because the song " Smells Like Teen spirit " hold the first place in hit parade of songs which have change the world. And in spite of this album ithink it's the album " Ride the Lighting " by Metallika

Sinister
09-21-2006, 09:44 AM
You can't be serious.

Not Ozymandias
09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
http://www.patmartino.net/images/AlbumCovers/Pesci_SongsForYou.jpg

I'm pretty sure I already ended this thread.

Tigger Army
09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
It's " Nevermind " by nirvana because the song " Smells Like Teen spirit " hold the first place in hit parade of songs which have change the world. And in spite of this album ithink it's the album " Ride the Lighting " by Metallika

Nothing against Nirvana (besides the fact they're WAAAAY overhyped) but I fail to see the massive influence they had on music. They made a genre popular that basically died the same day Kurt died. It's decent stuff but influential? I see few bands that even try to sound like nirvana.

Jakebert
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
It's " Nevermind " by nirvana because the song " Smells Like Teen spirit " hold the first place in hit parade of songs

Hit Parade isn't the end-all opinion on music.

opivy21
09-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Nothing against Nirvana (besides the fact they're WAAAAY overhyped) but I fail to see the massive influence they had on music. They made a genre popular that basically died the same day Kurt died. It's decent stuff but influential? I see few bands that even try to sound like nirvana.
True that.

Also, there were lots of bands before Nirvana with a similar sound that were, in my opinion, a lot better.

DeAtHsTaR
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM

WRONG. Almost all the generic rock you hear on the radio today is influenced by grunge.

Before someone says something, I love grunge.

All About Eve
09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Exactly. Sex?

And grunge, could you please fill me on this Metallika? Do they have a myspace?

DeAtHsTaR
09-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Exactly. Sex?

And grunge, could you please fill me on this Metallika? Do they have a myspace?
Haha, I guess some Metallica songs could be classified as post-grunge.

All About Eve
09-21-2006, 07:16 PM
No no, I asked about Metallika. They sound interesting.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-21-2006, 08:16 PM
No no, I asked about Metallika. They sound interesting.

I've only heard a couple songs, but they have this one ("Enter Sadman") that gets stuck in my head every once in a while.

0r4ng3
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Really? I haven't heard of that one. I only have St. Anger, their debut album.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Really? I haven't heard of that one. I only have St. Anger, their debut album.

Didn't Metallica have a debut album called St. Anger?

DeAtHsTaR
09-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Didn't Metallica have a debut album called St. Anger?
Dude, St. Anger is their 8th full length.

coke_a_holic
09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
He's sargasming.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Metallica. Metallika. Gets me every time.

Oh, and AAE: http://www.myspace.com/metallika

0r4ng3
09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Metallica. Metallika. Gets me every time.
It just got me, too.

Edit: Still, that was a good sargasm. Anyone got a sargarette?

All About Eve
09-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I love how much Dain just embarassed himself. And the word sargasming being used. <3 Mike.

Jebus
09-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Female DT fan? AAE, get the fuck away from her! She's mine!

All About Eve
09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
I saw her first/made the connection first/am better than you. Step off, good sir.

Thinking about it, she likes Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Lucky Boys Confusion, Sister Hazel... I bet she'd like Matchbox Twenty and REM too... she quite possibly took Dr. Treez position over. Hm..

0r4ng3
09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Sonata Arctica? Great, now I want in this "competition". Thanks a lot!

XYlophonetreeZ
09-21-2006, 08:56 PM
I saw her first/made the connection first/am better than you. Step off, good sir.

Thinking about it, she likes Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Lucky Boys Confusion, Sister Hazel... I bet she'd like Matchbox Twenty and REM too... she quite possibly took Dr. Treez position over. Hm..

She does like LBC, but I seem to remember her saying she didn't like REM.

All About Eve
09-21-2006, 08:57 PM
she didn't like REM.
I don't see how that's possible for anyone.

/reference to my Automatic being one of the greatest albums post.

Llamas
09-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I suddenly feel embarassed about my dislike for REM :( but matchbox twenty was good on "yourself or someone like you" and I used to love "mad season" but I grew out of it.

Rag Doll
09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
I've only heard a couple songs, but they have this one ("Enter Sadman") that gets stuck in my head every once in a while.

Sadman? Are you sure they're not, like, emo or something?

Zack
09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Metallica-master of puppets

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-22-2006, 05:15 AM
it is rated one of the best albums MOP, but it's AJFA and RTL by Metallica re better

ninthlayer
09-22-2006, 06:14 AM
more acronyms plz

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-22-2006, 06:25 AM
it is rated one of the best albums MOP, but it's AJFA and RTL by Metallica re better

Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All
Ride The Lightning

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Sadman? Are you sure they're not, like, emo or something?

If I'm not mistaken, Metallika labels themselves as emo-hardcore. I think that's where I'm Some Kind of Monster :( comes from.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-23-2006, 05:18 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Metallika labels themselves as emo-hardcore. I think that's where I'm Some Kind of Monster :( comes from.

Metallica are just Heavy Metal, + all metallica's lyrics are screwed up

All About Eve
09-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Don't they also have one called, "I Don't Understand Sarcasm so I Should Probably Chug Bleach" ?

DeAtHsTaR
09-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Don't they also have one called, "I Don't Understand Sarcasm so I Should Probably Chug Bleach" ?

Yeah, but it was a cover.

Llamas
09-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Metallica are just Heavy Metal, + all metallica's lyrics are screwed up

yeah but metallika is just crazy. I think their best album was S & M... I think that stands for Sad and Torn. Their lyrics make me want to die cutting myself. Don't you agree?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-23-2006, 08:35 PM
yeah but metallika is just crazy. I think their best album was S & M... I think that stands for Sad and Torn. Their lyrics make me want to die cutting myself. Don't you agree?

I agree, except I think I like ...And Razors For All better. Metallika's new single "I Just Want To Disappear" isn't that bad either.
--
Back on topic, the new Fall Out Boy album is the greatest album of all time. Those lyrics that I can't understand make me want to cry myself to sleep.

Llamas
09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I went to Padelford boat dance last night, and the dj was horrible... we requested "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, and we were like the 4th request on the list... the guy didn't play it till a good 2 hours and 30 shitty songs later... not until he'd played "dance dance" FOLLOWED BY "I write sins not tragedies". Who the fuck thinks these are good songs, let along good songs to play at a DANCE?? I wanted to shoot the guy. And then I yelled at my friend for getting this guy for the dance, she said that if we had a DJ, we had to use the one they gave us. Maybe they could atleast give us a DJ that doesn't love shitty bands?

Oh, and that reminds me, they played a remix of "pretty fly for a white guy".

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-24-2006, 06:34 AM
S&M was shit, 2 ok songs

JohnnyNemesis
09-24-2006, 11:39 AM
You really are such an idiot.

Llamas
09-24-2006, 01:33 PM
wasn't he the same guy that totally missed a huge sarcasm rally before in another thread?

All About Eve
09-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Every thread**

Conspiracy of One
09-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I think the thread can be closed now.

Tigger Army
09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

That's not even the best beatles album

RickyCrack
09-25-2006, 12:12 AM
That's not even the best beatles album

I would disagree, however, the argument between sgt. pepper and abbey road still rages.

Llamas
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM
I only have "1". The only song I really love from the beatles is eleanor rigby.

Tigger Army
09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I only have "1". The only song I really love from the beatles is eleanor rigby.

well yes that song IS pretty much the best they ever did

Retard
09-25-2006, 01:14 PM
for what it is Sgt Pepper is alright, but its got nothing on Revolver, or the White Album. Or Abbey Road for that matter.

I seriously gotta rebuy Revolver soon.... maybe tomorow.

Jakebert
09-25-2006, 07:11 PM
As a whole, Sgt. Pepper's is better. Abbey Road has a few so-so moments in it's first half, while Sgt. Pepper's is better all the way through. But, the last half of Abbey Road is not only the most amazing thing the Beatles did, but one of the best things ever recorded period. A Day in the Life is probably my pick for best single Beatles song, but the Sun King Medly is just too perfect to not be considered better.

The White Album is pretty great too, but it's a little too schizophrenic. I like albums with variety, but some of the weaker songs are pretty forgettable. Luckily, for every forgettable song there's about 3 amazing songs to make up for it, but still they're there.

Ninty Man
09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Bob Marley Legend

Van Halen

Smash hits of Jimmy Hendrix

Demon Days

The meaning of life
09-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Cypress Hill - black sunday (insane in the brain you know^^)

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Rust In Peace - Megadeth (It's okay)

Jakebert
09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
How is it the greatest, or one of the greatest, if it's just okay?

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-27-2006, 09:15 PM
it's rated one of the best heavy metal album of all time, but it's not my favourite album

Jakebert
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Just because something is highly ranked doesn't mean it's anything special. Korn made VH1's list of 100 best rock bands, and they suck.

Floyd the Barber
09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I think Metallica's gems from the 80's - Ride the Lightning, Mater of Puppets, ...And Justice For All - are definitely some of the best albums.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Just because something is highly ranked doesn't mean it's anything special. Korn made VH1's list of 100 best rock bands, and they suck.

True korn are shit, but anyway that's VH1
Something that is highly ranked can oftenly mean it's something special

Llamas
09-29-2006, 05:46 AM
At the very least, though, no matter how you interpret "best" or "greatest", I think it's pretty obvious that the point of the thread is what YOU Think is the best or greatest, not what magazines, tv shows, or critics think is the best. This thread would be even more boring if everyone just started listing albums that they read somewhere were awesome.

Vera
09-29-2006, 08:51 AM
The Offspring - Smash

I'd say it's impossible to name without specificying. Best rock album, metal, punkrock, pop, electronic, hiphop, Christian music, world music, classical, jazz, film soundtrack... Just too grand a name.

Mooose
09-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Master of Puppets by Metallica

Tigger Army
09-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I'd say it's impossible to name without specificying. Best rock album, metal, punkrock, pop, electronic, hiphop, Christian music, world music, classical, jazz, film soundtrack... Just too grand a name.

BINGO! you're right

Jeff316
10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Mine would be:
Ixnay on the Hombre,Smash,Ignition and Americana (The Offspring)
S/T and Here's to the mourning (Unwritten Law)
Mute print and Ruiner (A Wilhelm Scream)
Hitler bad Vandals good and Look what I almost stepped in (The Vandals)
Canyoneer (No Trigger)
Dead Rythem Machine (The Letters Organise)
And a couple more ;)

Thomas
10-08-2006, 01:17 AM
As a whole, Sgt. Pepper's is better. Abbey Road has a few so-so moments in it's first half, while Sgt. Pepper's is better all the way through. But, the last half of Abbey Road is not only the most amazing thing the Beatles did, but one of the best things ever recorded period. A Day in the Life is probably my pick for best single Beatles song, but the Sun King Medly is just too perfect to not be considered better.

The White Album is pretty great too, but it's a little too schizophrenic. I like albums with variety, but some of the weaker songs are pretty forgettable. Luckily, for every forgettable song there's about 3 amazing songs to make up for it, but still they're there.

I see where you are coming from, but I have to disagree. There isn't a single song on Abbey Road that I dislike. Yeah, the second half of the album (Sun king-She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers-The End) is fucking amazing, but the first half has so much variety and really shows what The Beatles are capable of as musicians.

And I was torn for a very long time on whether I thought Abbey Road or Sgt. Peppers was a better album, but I finally decided on Abbey Road.

Jakebert
10-08-2006, 09:23 AM
It's not that I think there's bad songs on the first half, just some stuff that isn't quite up to par with the Beatles' normal quality. Something, Oh! Darling, and Because all kind drag a little bit to me. There's still some great stuff on the first half, but it's just not that great as a whole. I will still say that I think Here Comes the Sun is George Harrison's best song that he did with the Beatles.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Mine would be:
Ixnay on the Hombre,Smash,Ignition and Americana (The Offspring)
S/T and Here's to the mourning (Unwritten Law)
Mute print and Ruiner (A Wilhelm Scream)
Hitler bad Vandals good and Look what I almost stepped in (The Vandals)
Canyoneer (No Trigger)
Dead Rythem Machine (The Letters Organise)
And a couple more ;)

Oh, by far these must be the greatest albums ever to grace the human ear.

no_way
10-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Pulse - Pink Floyd
Memory of trees - Enya