PDA

View Full Version : Swing

Nina
09-21-2006, 02:46 PM
I discovered my love for Swing.
Any recommentations? Soulseek is open and ready!

coke_a_holic
09-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Like swing jazz or just any song with a swing beat? If you find old-style rock n roll (like Chuck Berry), it's got that swing feel, but with distortion. The Stray Cats generally have swinging beats in their songs and play blues with a jazz feel.

I don't listen to straight swing jazz that often because it usually has fusion in it (like Miles Davis), but Duke Ellington is great. A more modern swing jazz group that Per likes is the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, who are great fun, too. I wish I could remember more swing jazz artists right now, but all that comes to mind is fusion, sorriez.

Nina
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I actually mean anything with a swing-y feeling to it :]
Thanks for the names, I'll try them for now!

Nina
09-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Chuck Berry - Almost Grown
Since the users on soulseek suck I only got to hear a 59sec clip. But it was nice :] That's kinda what I mean, though that might be a little too old-school for me to listen to it very often.

Chuck Berry - Back In The USA
ha. Of course I know that song. I never knew how it was named or by whom it was. Niiice.

Chuck Berry - Let It Rock
Reminds me on the song above ;P I have the feeling his songs might be a little repretitive. But it's still good.

There are hardly any Stray Cats songs to find :[ Still am downloading what I could get.

coke_a_holic
09-21-2006, 03:52 PM
The two most well-known ones are the Stray Cat Strut and Rock this Town, I can upload them in a little bit if you have too much trouble finding them.

Endymion
09-21-2006, 06:25 PM
endy <3s brian setzer.

bd007h
09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Squirrel Nut Zippers

Llamas
09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
the squirrel nut zippers are terrific big band swing, but the best is the glenn miller orchestra. Glenn Miller is a great choice because you'll probably recognize a lot of his songs. Also, as cokaholic said, duke ellington is a great, great swing musician.

Rag Doll
09-21-2006, 09:49 PM
big bad voodoo daddy. i have their christmas cd. woo.

Llamas
09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
bbvd and cherry poppin daddies and brian setzer are a too pop-driven for me. I like my swing music pretty raw, so nina if you want pop-driven, don't look into those that I suggested (except squirrel nut zippers... they get pretty close to pop).

Nina
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
The Stray Cats - I Fought The Law
Absolutely to my taste. Thanks a lot again, coke_a_holic!!

Ella Fitzgerald & Duke Ellington - Lullaby of Birdland
Well to be honest, I dont see yet what's great about his playing. Maybe this specific song just wasnt impressive.

Duke Ellington ork. - East St. Louis Toodle
Like that one better but it's actually kinda boring ;(

I cant find a single song from the Cherry Poppin' Daddies!!! At least not after 10min of waiting. ppffff.

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Straight Up
Absolutely amazing. I looooove this type of stuff. It's energic and catchy.

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Caravan
This song has a very interesting sound to it. Impressive.

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Gloria
Awww. I dont like the vocals much but the music is amazing.

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Mack The Knife
I dont like this version of the song. I love Robbie William's version though. (he also made a swing album, for anyone who's interested)

The Squirrel Nut Zippers - Put a Lid On It
Seems kinda "darker" than what I heard before. It's refreshing to hear a different type of Swing.

I'm downloading some Glenn Miller atm.

wheelchairman
09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
The Cherry Poppin' Daddies are the best around. Not to mention they come straight from my home town. Tizz says she'll send you some, on cd or whatever. (or lolz you can get it when we meet up sometime in the new year.)

Nina
09-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Ooohh that sounds nice, thanks :D

Llamas
09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Nina, the thing with Duke Ellington is that he's one of the original founders of swing.

I'm uploading some of my favorite swing songs for you. You happened to choose two really crummy duke songs, but atleast that squirrels one is decent.

I'll upload a couple better duke songs, a few squirrels, and a couple big bad voodoo daddy. I'm not sure if I have glenn miller on my computer, but if I do, I'll upload him, too. :)

Nina
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Thats very very nice of you :] Everything I downloaded were the only songs available. And half of those were bad quality or not the songs described.

Llamas
09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
well here are what I've uploaded so far... still getting a few big bad voodoo daddies songs up. http://www.savefile.com/projects/1017662

coke_a_holic
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
I've been thinking about stealing some SNZ, and now I have a direct feed with plenty of other music that I've vaguely thought about downloading. Awesome, thanks for the upload!

Thomas
09-22-2006, 06:55 PM
I was gonna mention the Squirrel Nut Zippers because they are freaking amazing, but you all beat me to it.

And there is one swing song in particular that I love. It is called "The One O'clock Jump" by Buddy Rich's band, and I basically love tha song with all my heart.

Nina
09-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Server is not alive. Please try again later!

totally uncool :(

Llamas
09-23-2006, 02:57 PM
whhhhat?? well I just tried now (about 5 hours after you did) and it's working. that's shady.

Nina
09-24-2006, 05:09 AM
wtf! I just tried again and it doesnt work!
I seem to have the worst type of luck.