PDA

View Full Version : Best Modern Band

Acoustic1804
09-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Post who you think the best band is around this time era. It doesn't matter if they're old, just as long as they're still recording albums.

And I don't want to here some no-name crap like "Fetus Blender" or shit like that, that nobody has heard of, I mean like Green Day and Yellowcard etc. Get the point?

I think the best these days would have to be the Foo Fighters.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Iron Maiden (2006)

Endymion
09-25-2006, 10:10 AM
the locust, holy molar, xbxrx, man man, silver daggers, hello astronaut goodby television, an albatross, the flying luttenbachers, and das oath.

BuddyHolly
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Ignite :cool:

Nina
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
A Perfect Circle
Coldplay
System Of A Down

nieh
09-25-2006, 11:22 AM
And I don't want to here some no-name crap like "Fetus Blender" or shit like that, that nobody has heard of, I mean like Green Day and Yellowcard etc. Get the point?

So a shitty band like Yellowcard is automatically better than the tons and tons of awesome no-name bands simply because people have heard of them?

insaneChucky
09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Incubus
The Offspring
System of a down

The meaning of life
09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Incubus
The Offspring
System of a down

I think he know the offspring...are you retarded?!

Nina
09-25-2006, 11:56 AM

For once, I'll give a real reply to such a comment:
No, I bet he/she aint retarded. Just because we are on an Offspring message board doesnt mean that The Offspring is everyone's favorite band. In fact, he or she was the FIRST person to mention the band and it's absolutely not a given.
You're the retarded one for making such an assuption.

0r4ng3
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm gonna go with my typical "Billy Talent/Streetlight Manifesto" response.

insaneChucky
09-25-2006, 12:01 PM

No Im not retarded. And even if, what does it matter? :D

Tigger Army
09-25-2006, 12:17 PM
the offspring won't be in any list I'd write. Not among the best nor amongst the worst.

I'd go for the Cranberries but it's about time they start to record something new.

Ignite is a nice option but to call them (one of) THE band(s) of the moment... ah well they're great

opivy21
09-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Giant Haystacks are a good band.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-25-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna go with my typical "Billy Talent/Streetlight Manifesto" response.

And I'm going to agree. I might even add Anti-Flag and AFI.

HeadAroundU
09-25-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm adding Lostprophets because I'm in love with them the last month.

BREAK
09-25-2006, 05:50 PM

I'm gonna start a band by that name and head straight to the top of the pop charts solely to piss you off.

Anyway...

The Blood Brothers
Spoon
The Evens
Isis
Cave In
Clair De Lune
Converge
Fear Before the March of Flames

Lotta bands I like been breaking up lately.

sk8ter-hater
09-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I want to add Strike Anywhere. I hear they released their new album Dead.Fm, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Has anyone, by any chance?

bd007h
09-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace

Llamas
09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
A Perfect Circle
System Of A Down

omfg marry me. except APC is on an indefinite hiatus now... but that's alright cause I love tool, too!

0r4ng3
09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Is TSOL still around? I may have to add them to my typical "Billy Talent/Streetlight Manifesto" response if they are.

All About Eve
09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
R.E.M., Better Than Ezra, Dream Theater.

Llamas
09-25-2006, 09:27 PM
some of my favorite currently recording artists include:

barenaked ladies
tool
collective soul
better than ezra
sister hazel
offspring
natalie imbruglia
alkaline trio
alanis morissette
regina spektor
vanessa carlton
bif naked
no use for a name
system of a down
mudvayne

EDIT: just saw AAE's mention of dream theatre. 4srs.

there are a few that wanna add but I think broke up/quit, like

jay z
eve 6
lucky boys confusion
a perfect circle

+BadHabit+
09-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Umm I don't think anybody said Red Hot Chili Peppers so I'll add that... well The Offspring duh and S.O.A.D.

EDIT: I forgot to add Nirvana :)

RickyCrack
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Make like kurt cobain and blow your head off.

Unnatural Disaster
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
System of a Down

0r4ng3
09-25-2006, 09:38 PM
See, threads like this are why I try to avoid using the word "best" to describe stuff.

Which brings up another point: What's with all the "best" threads anyway? This is, like, the fifth one in the past couple of weeks.

All About Eve
09-25-2006, 09:42 PM
barenaked ladies
better than ezra
sister hazel
lucky boys confusion

Comletely agreed.

Llamas
09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Make like kurt cobain and blow your head off.

That made me LOL. Kurt Cobain wuz so lyk merderrd!!!1

System of a Down

Thank you so much for adding something to the thread that's already been said several times.

See, threads like this are why I try to avoid using the word "best" to describe stuff.

Which brings up another point: What's with all the "best" threads anyway? This is, like, the fifth one in the past couple of weeks.

I was noticing the same thing, and I was wondering how to define best... favorite bands? ones with the most musical talent? most famous? ones that have written some of the best music ever? ones that are currently writing the best music? It's so vague. And the "best" threads feel like people who are thinking "hmm, what can I do to make a new thread?? "top 10" and "best" threads are pretty popular..." I'm not saying I'm a good thread maker (farrr from it), but best and top 10 threads get sooo old... :-/

Comletely agreed.

and that's why we were meant to be togetha foreva.

All About Eve
09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I was noticing the same thing, and I was wondering how to define best... favorite bands? ones with the most musical talent? most famous? ones that have written some of the best music ever? ones that are currently writing the best music? It's so vague. And the "best" threads feel like people who are thinking "hmm, what can I do to make a new thread?? "top 10" and "best" threads are pretty popular..." I'm not saying I'm a good thread maker (farrr from it), but best and top 10 threads get sooo old... :-
Once again, completely agreed. I think threads of this type should be more about discussing what bands you like more than others, and why. Yeah, I know that's the whole point of an Other Bands forum, but if you do it by genre or era inside a thread, you get more comparisons, differences, and not just "yeah I like this song by that band" or "I haven't heard of them".

and that's why we were meant to be togetha foreva.
<3 ;)

XYlophonetreeZ
09-25-2006, 10:48 PM
lucky boys confusion
They are NOT necessarily dead yet! Latest update on MySpace made it sound like they're just taking some time off.

I agree with the above choice. Also gonna add:

Sponge*
R.E.M.*
Blood Brothers
Minus the Bear
The Cooper Temple Clause
AFI
The Mercury Program

* means that yes, this band still exists, and yes, this band has made better music than pretty much any other band that still exists. But the music they're currently making is by no means the best of today.

RickyCrack
09-25-2006, 11:41 PM
I would define best bands as being bands that have altered music for any band thereafter from that era on. Bands much like The Beatles, The Who, Grandmaster Flash, Woody Guthrie, etc etc. Sadly most the bands mentioned in this thread do not fit this title.

Llamas
09-25-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't think that being an influence necessarily makes a band good. Bands can have negative influences, like green day.

Thomas
09-26-2006, 12:04 AM
As far as sheer talent goes, Rush and Tool take the cake easily.

T-6005
09-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I hate to call Muse again, but... well, no I don't.

Muse.

I swear I have others, but this one has pretty much stayed constant throughout the last few years for me.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-26-2006, 02:15 AM
Social Distortion

Acoustic1804
09-26-2006, 03:33 AM
So a shitty band like Yellowcard is automatically better than the tons and tons of awesome no-name bands simply because people have heard of them?

I don't know how you interpreted my post like that, I just made an example of Green Day and Yellowcard because a lot of people know them so anyone can relate to the opinion of the poster. I did not even remember saying Yellowcard are good, though I am quite fond of some of their music, but I didn't mean to compare them to anyone. I hope that clears things up for you, and for a few other weak minded bafoons.

Dmarques
09-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Well...the Offspring of course and System of a down

SkunkIt
09-26-2006, 04:47 AM
I'd say one of the best is Streetlight Manifesto. It usally depends what genre you're talkiing about also, because there are different good bands for different genre. Most modern bands that are on the radio aren't that good. No offense to anyone unless they think Yellowcard is one of the best modern artists, but how the hell are Yellowcard, Green Day, or Our Lady Peace one of the best modern artists? And anyone that says Green Day was good before "American Idiot", sure they were a bit better, but they still weren't good.

Fetus Blender, huh? That sounds like It'd make a mighty fine smoothie.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-26-2006, 06:44 AM
NOFX

10 Fucks

The meaning of life
09-26-2006, 10:04 AM
No Im not retarded. And even if, what does it matter? :D

Haha it dosen't matter (damn old song with the rock^^) juste he want to know new band....so why mark the offspring we're on offspring board

[QUOTE]For once, I'll give a real reply to such a comment:
No, I bet he/she aint retarded. Just because we are on an Offspring message board doesnt mean that The Offspring is everyone's favorite band. In fact, he or she was the FIRST person to mention the band and it's absolutely not a given.
You're the retarded one for making such an assuption.[QUOTE/]
Yeah but HE want to know NEW band.....sooo is that difficult to understand to you?

Nina
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
The Offspring still makes albums. They're still around. The OP just ruled out bands that cant make albums anymore, The Beatles for instance.
You're an idiot.

0r4ng3
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I can understand why people say The Offspring, but why are there, like, 8 "votes" for System of a Down? They're still popular?

Nina
09-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Thats a question I never understood. What does liking them have to do with popularity? I personally have been a fan for years and thats because I really, truely enjoy their music. I also enjoy their lyrics to some extend. And the vocals grew on me a lot. I can see how someone can not like them, different tastes and all, but "they're still popular?" makes me sad ;(

mrconeman
09-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Iron Maiden, their latest album is easily the best new album I've heard in a long time.
The Who, by default. Even if the new album sucks, they are still The Who.
To be honest I haven't been excited about any real modern bands (as in new ones) before or since Velvet Revolver.

Llamas
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I can understand why people say The Offspring, but why are there, like, 8 "votes" for System of a Down? They're still popular?

They don't have to be popular to have a lot of votes... I wouldn't consider lucky boys confusion to be popular, but they got a few votes... and streetlight manifesto isn't popular, either.

I've liked system of a down since they released their self titled album in 1998, and I've liked them since, even though I don't care for anything they've released after that album as much.

SkunkIt
09-26-2006, 02:39 PM
NOFX

10 Fucks
Why?

Oh my fucking shit....WHY?

coke_a_holic
09-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Streetlight Manifesto, Primus, and The Who.

All of my favorite bands are broken up except for those 3.

Does The Clash count, though? I mean, they're going to go on tour soon with the guy from Rancid in the place of Joe Strummer. It just won't be the same, though. :(

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-26-2006, 08:51 PM
cause nofx are a good modern band...

0r4ng3
09-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I have an idea. Let's rename this thread "Favorite Modern Band", so some people's choices are partially justified, and there's no need for excessive arguments.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-26-2006, 09:49 PM
good idea, lets move on now

Tigger Army
09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Is TSOL still around? I may have to add them to my typical "Billy Talent/Streetlight Manifesto" response if they are.

TSOL hasn't been recording and Jack Grisham announced that it was unlikely that they'd record another album. However the band still tours and stuff...

0r4ng3
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM
That still counts. They're still active.

Corpse
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
That still counts. They're still active.

If your talking about activity, SOAD are inacitve. They have taken a break for a while.

suckmyass
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
green day all of green day to not just ONE time period

and dont even accuse me of being a poser cause im not or a prep

coke_a_holic
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
It doesn't matter if you're tru punx or not, you still have shitty taste in music.

Have a nice day! :)

Corpse
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
It doesn't matter if you're tru punx or not, you still have shitty taste in music.

Have a nice day! :)

Amen to that.

I'm sure the title read Best Modern Band, not most over-rated garbage.

Come out and smash'em up!
09-30-2006, 03:01 AM
system of a down (hypnotize and mezmerize)
Children of bodom (are you dead yet?)
Exodus (shovel headed kill machine)

Jakebert
09-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Amen to that.

I'm sure the title read Best Modern Band, not most over-rated garbage.

...says the kid who lists off bands because a magazine rates them highly.

...says the Metallica fan.

Llamas
09-30-2006, 01:49 PM
...says the kid who lists off bands because a magazine rates them highly.

...says the Metallica fan.

I think you're confusing Corpse with Manic Subsidal Boy.

Jakebert
09-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Oh well. The Metallica thing still stands.

Corpse
09-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh well. The Metallica thing still stands.

Wow. I am a fan of Metallica. Your sole opinion says they are over-rated. The fact they are better than most other metal bands would mean you think that Metal music is over-rated, am I right?

Llamas
09-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Even though Jakebert attacked you wrongly, your response saying that it's a fact that metallica is better than most other bands is false. That's not a fact, that's your opinion. I think there are many metal bands much better than metallica, and the two best are dream theatre and iron maiden.

Endymion
09-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Wow. I am a fan of Metallica. Your sole opinion says they are over-rated. The fact they are better than most other metal bands would mean you think that Metal music is over-rated, am I right?

i generally dislike metal, and rarely listen to it, but i can say in solid fact that not only is metallica one of the worst metal bands ever, but they are probably the worst band ever and they are among the worst human beings alive.

Tigger Army
09-30-2006, 03:37 PM

infact most metal from the USA sucks, Metallica having a prominent place on the list of sucky bands. There WERE a few bands that actually are good but metallica is definitely not one of them.

Jakebert
09-30-2006, 08:40 PM

No, I love metal, but Metallica really aren't as amazing as people make them out to be. I think they had some decent stuff, but for the most part, there wasn't anything amazing about them, and everything they've done since 1991has been complete garbage. Oh, and even though I usually don't call bands sell outs, Metallica is the one exception to that list. Any band that sues it's own fans for downloading their music are sad, pathetic money whores.

Oh, and it was your opinion that Green Day are overrated. So why is your opinion so important that it's not "just your opinion", yet mine is?

Corpse
10-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh, and it was your opinion that Green Day are overrated. So why is your opinion so important that it's not "just your opinion", yet mine is?

More people would agree.

GBH2
10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
back on subject...

Social Distortion

new album next year, can't wait!

Jakebert
10-01-2006, 12:12 PM
More people would agree.

That's because Metallica aren't as popular as they used to be. If this discussion were to have happened around the time St. Anger came out, Metallica would win hands down.

I didn't know about the new Social D. album. Is there a date set yet?

Corpse
10-01-2006, 12:22 PM
That's because Metallica aren't as popular as they used to be. If this discussion were to have happened around the time St. Anger came out, Metallica would win hands down.

Some time 2007.

GBH2
10-01-2006, 01:35 PM

here's all i know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Distortion%27s_seventh_studio_album)

Italia311
10-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Tool.

And thats a fact.

Zack
10-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Godsmack-avenged sevenfold

ninthlayer
10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Matthew Good is the only acceptable answer.

Llamas
10-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Tool.

And thats a fact.

oh damn. you must be a real tool fan, because you appear to be closed minded and think your opinion is fact. tool is good, but I don't see why they're so certainly the best.

LOL

0r4ng3
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Haha.

Oh wait. You're serious.

Allow me to laugh harder.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

IAmARevenant
10-01-2006, 10:42 PM
The Distillers

Jakebert
10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
The Distillers

You're too slow. Someone already made the joke of naming a crappy/mediocore band for this thread.

Llamas
10-02-2006, 06:33 PM
it still remains remotely funny, as it's coming from iamarevenant... who NEVER passes up the sad oppurtunity to brag about his love for a crappy rancid duplicate.

IAmARevenant
10-02-2006, 07:23 PM
haha you too are so funny

mrconeman
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
haha you too* are so funny

*Two .

IAmARevenant
10-02-2006, 07:32 PM
*Two .
typo............

XYlophonetreeZ
10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Man, I sure am glad I opened this thread to see what the new replies were!

And so as not to be equally worthless as you bumbling dicklords, I shall get the thread back on topic.

Tool fans are fucking annoying.

Oh, all right, I'll REALLY get it back on topic. I also wanna add Sonata Arctica and The Mars Volta, to whom I have resumed listening for the first time since I got my new laptop. De-Loused is amazing. It's actually worth all the hype.

Camilamazed
10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Art Brut.

Modern bands do not draw my attention very much. This one surprised me though.

That_Guy91
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Valient Thorr.

Nina
10-04-2006, 05:04 AM
So..what's wrong with Godsmack?!
I like them.

Llamas
10-04-2006, 05:14 AM
meh, nothing wrong with liking them, it's just that they're far from being a talented band, and it's just really funny that he listed two bands that lack a lot of talent as the best modern bands of all. There's a difference between liking a band, and thinking they're the best thing on earth. The other fact is just the bands that Zach likes in general... they're all pretty low on the talent scale, yet he speaks of them like everyone needs to realize their awesomeness.

Nina
10-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Well, I guess I see where you're coming from but my problem is that the people who reply with "LOOLLZZ" are like him.
Obviously they are talented enough for him to call them his favorite band, and the best modern band in his eyes. That's already a success for the band, isnt it? I can understand how people disagree with that (hell, I myself disagree with them being the best) but I dislike that people look down on others for that type of stuff. That's exactly why I got tired of sharing with others what music I like. I personally think you are just as bad for expressing like this that you find his decision ridiculous as he is for being closed minded (I didnt see it, but I believe you) about his choices.

Llamas
10-04-2006, 05:27 AM
I wasn't LOLing his taste in music... I was LOLing his predictable response, seeing as he's made so many threads about the same bands over and over again. I mostly reacted in a "this guy is really annoying" way, and in that if he's going to repeat the same band names over and over again, it's especially annoying because they are well-known bands that people already know. It's not like he's pumping up some indie bands or something, he just keeps posting and making threads about the same ones. Do a search for threads he's started. Slipknot, Godsmack, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica.

There are a lot of bands mentioned in this thread that I like less than the bands he mentioned, and I didn't respond negatively to their posts. It was 99.99% a response to him as a poster.

Nina
10-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Well that was kind of difficult to see when your only response is lol.
I still find it annoying that most people in this thread/part of the board/board generally think they are superior to others based on their taste in music only. I've always had the impression that you are also one of them. I'm sorry if I was wrong..but I hope you see your post could have been misunderstood!

Italia311
10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
oh damn. you must be a real tool fan, because you appear to be closed minded and think your opinion is fact. tool is good, but I don't see why they're so certainly the best.

LOL

No...Im right.

Oh and I dunno if ninth was jokin about Mathew Good, but hes awesome.

bouncingcoles
10-05-2006, 08:52 AM
nine inch nails

Melissa_ab90
10-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Radiohead.

Manic Subsidal Boy
10-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Guns N' Roses