PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Black Parade

All About Eve
09-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Anyone heard My Chemical Romance's new song? It's actually really reall good, and I previously hated everything by this band. It sounds a lot like a Queen type song, plus almost a Blink edge, and almost none of MCR's style.

coke_a_holic
09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
ur a fgaot!

Jebus
09-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Faggotron activate!

EDIT: I think I have my power rangers and transformers terminology confused.

I mean... upload?

coke_a_holic
09-28-2006, 09:07 PM
The beginning is actually kinda cool, then it goes like, "hey, let's stop playing Queen-like music and start playing powerchords! yeah!" =(

Here:

www.myspace.com/mychemicalromance

Jebus
09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Yes, I agree.

All About Eve
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
The ending's good too.

Llamas
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't think it sounds anything like Queen, but I do really like the beginning. I've always thought that Gerard was a much better singer than their music actually showed, and this is a good example. However, after that 1:45 beginning, I got really bored. The beef of the song is really generic and lame. Toward the end, it goes back into the intro... and then back into generic lameness.

The intro/part of the outro remind me much more of "Believe" by Savatage... and progressive rock in general, than of Queen.

However, I think this song might be a step in the right direction for the band, if it's actually a step and not just a fluke.

All About Eve
09-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm going to probably download the cd when it's out.

H1T_That
09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
It seems to be a lot better than their other stuff. I still don't like it though.

I also think Gerard's new haircut makes him look like an albino rat.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 10:09 AM
he looks a hell of a lot better than he did before, though.

Yatesy
09-29-2006, 11:18 AM
This is actually quite a good song and seems to have a good concept which may lead me to download the thing. They seem more grown up and I agree huge Queen influence.

bouncingcoles
09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
god how i hate that band

All About Eve
09-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Dude, listen to the fucking song. I don't like them either, but it's a great song.

mrconeman
09-29-2006, 05:37 PM
A piano accompanied by drums, bass, guitar and vocals does not equal Queen, that sounds nothing like Queen at all. Apart from the guitar tone a few times, but that has nothing to do with the actual song structure.

To me it was cheesy as fuck, with very predictable melodys and whiney singing, I concede this is an improvement on their previous music, which I wouldn't even bother to try to put into words how unbeleivably crap it truely was.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 05:40 PM
A piano accompanied by drums, bass, guitar and vocals does not equal Queen, that sounds nothing like Queen at all.

To me it was cheesy as fuck, with very predictable melodys and whiney singing, I concede this is an improvement on their previous music, which I wouldn't even bother to try to put into words how unbeleivably crap it truely was.

I can't agree with you more on the first part. I don't hear any resemblance to queen.

It was pretty predictable, but I *kind of* liked it. I wouldn't rush out to buy the album, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. However you have a good point in that it's being compared to the last stuff...

mrconeman
09-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah, I can see how people are into that sort of thing at least. (Unlike their previous works, it's beyond me how any of that is enjoyable to anyone)
Just not my cup of tea really.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 05:57 PM
To be frank, gerard has the vocal ability to do that kind of a song, but the background music itself was very rough and shakey. I don't think they're talented enough as a band to really pull off something like that well. I could've liked the song a lot more if another band had done it, I think.

All About Eve
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Not the whole song is Queenish of course, but the piano, the drum cadence, the unpowerchordish guitar... THAT'S the Queenish part.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Not the whole song is Queenish of course, but the piano, the drum cadence, the unpowerchordish guitar... THAT'S the Queenish part.

I have heard many, many, MANY bands use pianos, a marching snare drum (which is not a drum cadence), and no power chords. Barenaked Ladies have done it in numerous songs. It didn't sound anything like Queen.

All About Eve
09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Just because it doesn't have to be a cadence, doesn't mean it's not. There was something like it in the song. Idk if it's the word I'm looking for, but it was more than a marching snare.

And I'm a Barenaked Ladies fan, they're easily one of my favorites. I haven't heard any of their songs with any drums or guitar quite like this.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 06:13 PM
quite like this? Sell Sell Sell fits the description that you gave perfectly.

All About Eve
09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
It hardly sounds anything alike.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 06:20 PM
and this song sounds nothing like queen.

All About Eve
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, I think it does, so I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Llamas
09-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I just don't see at all what makes them similar. you listed three things that also exist in barenaked ladies songs. what is it that you find distinctive between this song and queen? I just don't see it.

All About Eve
09-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Well, the things I described are very broad and can be done a lot of different ways. I can't say what it is that I think is essentially Queenish, my first thought when I heard it was "sounds like a non-Queen Queen rockepic type song"

mrconeman
09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
The only resemblence to Queen I heard was when the guitar first came in with its lead part, it sounded some what Brian May-esque, but even then it was only really the tone of the guitar, not the song itself.
I'm just not hearing it *shrug*

petey
10-11-2006, 07:15 PM
It seems to be a lot better than their other stuff. I still don't like it though.

I also think Gerard's new haircut makes him look like an albino rat.
yeah, the hair cut is lame, but their new song is pretty good. i started to listen to them when their last album came out, then quit listenin to it, then welcome to the black parade came out, now if they can keep up the good songs, ill start listenin to them again.

WebDudette
10-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm not going to lie it is a decent song, but I get the feeling I wouldn't want to listne to it more then like once a week.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge was one of my guilty pleasures, and I really don't like this new song.

DeAtHsTaR
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I saw them play it on tv live, but I haven't heard the studio version. I thought it sounded pretty good though.

T-6005
10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I really don't like how they go into the "main" song, or the powerchords part. It sounds kind of... almost Billy Talent-ish at that point, though, I think. That's not right, but it's the closest I can come up with.

The guitar tone is very Brian May, I have to agree. Extremely so. And I think it's pretty clear MCR aimed for the sort of "epic" tone that made Queen so famous.

nameless
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
their latest song is ok but from what id heard of the old stuff, i didnt really like any of it and cant see why people rated them so highly!

i heard on kerrang something about them being voted best band on the planet recently! im assuming this was some stupid poll where anyone could just vote as many times as they like, anyone else hear about it?!

DeAtHsTaR
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Haha their myspace says they're a metal band.

Kathy
10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't like them...but I dunno, "Welcome to the black parade" its kinda..good.

bd007h
10-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Well, at least with the new hairdo he looks less like a faggoted version of Billy Corgan with hair.

DexterWannabe
10-13-2006, 01:59 AM
i didn't like MCR before, but now they're kinda like Green Day all over, look at the outfit, the video, Green Day, and i HATE HATE Green Day

Marco
10-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Hahahaha how can you compare MCR to a band like Queen? It's just impossible...anyway for the piano part:I've never heard a song that's more simple than that...you could learn it to children on their first piano lesson! But I have to agree with the guitar part...it is Brian May-inspired...

meaning_of_life
10-16-2006, 03:56 AM
The song is cheesey. But i have a soft spot for cheesey songs. Im still having a hard time coming to terms with admitting i like anything MCR.

Autonomist
10-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Well I'm glad the concept of irony isn't lost on you people.

meaning_of_life
10-17-2006, 05:18 AM
i didn't like MCR before, but now they're kinda like Green Day all over, look at the outfit, the video, Green Day, and i HATE HATE Green Day

Well the album was produced by Rob Cavallo, the fella that produced American Idiot, plus Black Parade is also a concept album apparently, based on a character named 'The Patient.'

All About Eve
10-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Concept albums are popular these days. Not to mention lots of times better than normal albums.

.:SMASH:.
10-18-2006, 01:07 AM
The song is better than their previous work, but I find it boring to sit through, it's too long.

mrconeman
10-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Concept albums are popular these days. Not to mention lots of times better than normal albums.

Yeah, unfortunately pop-punk bands couldn't think of a single decent concept between them.

- -Lauren- -
10-20-2006, 05:18 PM
I heard this song, and I've been counting down the days until The Black Parade comes out. I have a deep love for MCR, so I was super excited.

I liked Gerard's hair the way it was during Three Cheers, but it's about the music, not his hairstyle.

The song is just...amazing. I am in LOVE with it. And I did find that little bit of Blink in there...

DeAtHsTaR
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm liking it more and more every time I hear it.

All About Eve
10-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Are there any other songs from the album out yet?

DeAtHsTaR
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
The entire album leaked yesterday. I haven't heard it though.

greek
10-20-2006, 07:15 PM
there is a site where you can hear the album but i don't think that i'm "allowed" to write it in the forum. i did once and my thread dissapeared. it's the name of the album though. hope it won't be deleted again

Llamas
10-20-2006, 07:32 PM
don't make a thread about it, just put the link in this thread. :)

greek
10-20-2006, 07:36 PM
the site is www.theblackparade.com hope you like the songs.

Yatesy
10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I really despise this song now after hearing it live. They cannot perform live to save their lives.

FrancoDaHui
10-22-2006, 08:32 PM
i just heard the new album and i must say that it's not that good. It has some good songs, some average songs and only one song that i think it's HORRIBLE, but maybe i'll buy the album.....in the next 2 years

Rag Doll
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I really despise this song now after hearing it live. They cannot perform live to save their lives.

Same for me. I really liked the studio version of the song. But jesus christ, they were on SNL last night and they were just terrible. I've heard worse live performances from them before (leno? i think it was on leno..)....but it was still pretty bad.

Llamas
10-23-2006, 12:16 AM
god, I hate when people judge a band's live performing ability based on SNL. Or any awards show. They're invited to come play ONE song, so they're not exactly gonna put everything into it... plus it's always their single that they've been playing to death all the time... sure it's nationally televised, but are you going to put more preparation into one song or a full concert? You can't expect that much from one song on SNL... plus, they don't have the time or atmosphere to really get into it, and most of the people there aren't their fans that they can feed off of. I dunno, I've seen a lot of people on SNL give awful performances who I know are actually quite good live.

Anyway, I listened to the whole album twice, and I give it a 6.5 out of 10. A 5 means it's listenable, but in the background.... 6.5 means there are some songs on it that I think are good, but as a whole, it's not that great. The theme is wayyyyy too emo/depressing, and it's very clear that he doesn't mean a word he says. Lyrically, it blows; Gerard can't write for shit, plus his voice sucks. However, the music itself is a great deal above the stuff they've written in the past. Musically, this album is quite above average. I would buy it, but only if it was used for like $7.

Rag Doll
10-23-2006, 12:19 AM
god, I hate when people judge a band's live performing ability based on SNL. Or any awards show. They're invited to come play ONE song, so they're not exactly gonna put everything into it... plus it's always their single that they've been playing to death all the time... sure it's nationally televised, but are you going to put more preparation into one song or a full concert? You can't expect that much from one song on SNL... plus, they don't have the time or atmosphere to really get into it, and most of the people there aren't their fans that they can feed off of. I dunno, I've seen a lot of people on SNL give awful performances who I know are actually quite good live.

Uh. They played 2 songs.

But seriously, I've seen them live on a lot of things and heard a LOT of live stuff from them (my friend was dating the drummer's cousin, she has tons of live recordings of them)....and they suck live in general. That song was just a LOT worse live than it is on the cd.

Llamas
10-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, I watched them perform an entire concert on VH1, and I thought they did quite a good job. Also, I think they sound just fine in this live performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHSmbfWsz30

Gerard's voice isn't that great, but that's nothing new.

I think this performance of "cancer" off the new album is quite good, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTA3EVH14HY

ninthlayer
10-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I've seen MCR live twice. Gerard tried too damn hard to work the when they opened for Green Day and the entire performance was kind of painful to endure. I also saw them at Warped Tour, which wasn't too bad. This, of course, could have been because I only watched them for a little while and then headed to the MySpace tent to watch Reggie and the Full Effect.

Lars
10-23-2006, 05:20 AM
I saw them play it on tv live, but I haven't heard the studio version. I thought it sounded pretty good though.
Really? I was flipping through channels this weekend and happened across them playing it live and I thought it was even worse than when I saw the video. I wasn't even sure it was them when I saw the actual video until the name popped up, I thought it might be them though. I genuinely don't grasp how this song is a single? I don't really feel like its catchy or anything. Apparently its the number 1 single over here :confused:

ninthlayer
10-23-2006, 05:32 AM
It's okay Kid Rock, you wouldn't understand.

Yatesy
10-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Apparently its the number 1 single over here :confused:
Yeah, for the 2nd week in a row.

I guess I went a bit too far saying they are a bad live band in general. What I meant to say was that it was really badly performed the other night and it was that bad it put me off the song in general.

Revolver-2005?
10-23-2006, 03:32 PM
wow, im ashamed to say that song wasn't entirely fagrific.

H1T_That
10-24-2006, 12:48 PM
They're invited to come play ONE song, so they're not exactly gonna put everything into it...

Since it is only 1 or 2 songs, don't you think they put a shitload of effort into it?

I certainly think they would.

0r4ng3
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I'd think that they wouldn't. 2 songs isn't enough for a real show, so it doesn't really count as a show. They're playing for people that didn't specifically go to see them, also.

H1T_That
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
They're playing for people that didn't specifically go to see them, also.

I agree with that, but i think their attitude SHOULD be more like "c'mon guys, one song lets give it all we've got"

Yatesy
10-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Tbh I think bands should put more effort into tv performances as a lot of people will judge them as a live band in general.

Llamas
10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I disagree with that. I think that a band should put more effort into a full concert that they are doing for people who care about them and give them money, than they put into trying to get new fans. What do you think is more important to an artist- the people that love them and support them and put time and money into them, or people who are there to see a comedy show that might potentially like them? I don't know, I just think that, to any artist, their fans are far more important than a bunch of strangers that might like them.

Also, think about the situation: in a concert, the band has a stage that's set up specifically for music. They have hours ahead of time to set up, opening bands, crowds of people who are there mostly for them, the chances to get the crowd going, and a better atmosphere. A lot of bands that aren't musically that great are still able to put on a GREAT performance through the use of atmosphere (say, green day).

On top of all that, if you're a famous band who has a huge single that they're playing over and over and over again, you start to get sick of playing it. I know a lot of bands that choose not to play some big singles at their concerts, because they get so tired of playing those songs. You get invited to however many award shows to play the same song over and over, it just gets old and you're not going to put that much passion into it.

I just don't think you can judge a band's live ability based on a one-song-gig at SNL or an awards show.

DeAtHsTaR
10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I just bought the cd at Sam Goody for 9.99. It's great so far! DOes anyone know the difference between the black and white cd cases, if any? I got a black one.

EDIT: Well I just finished the album, fucking excellent. They really have shed away all of the emoness for this album. Teenagers is the best song. I'm thinking it's about kids shooting up schools. For some reason it reminds me of WHy Don't You Get a Job, mixed with Aerosmith before they sucked.

IAmARevenant
10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm listening to the album on http://www.theblackparade.com

I've only listened to it about 3 times through, but I really like it. My favorite song is This Is How I Dissappear. The Sharpest Lives is also pretty sweet. Hell, the whole album is great.

Llamas
10-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Alright, I've listened to it a few times, and my song ratings (because I'm bored):

The End: 6/10. kind of a slow, boring intro. However, lyrically it works well, and it builds well. I also like the alternative styles they throw into it.

Dead!: 6/10. Generic, sounds a lot like their old style. However, I like his voice in this song, and the guitarwork is well-placed.

This is How I Disappear: 8/10. Very cool rhythms and cool vocals. guitarwork is very plain.

The Sharpest Lives: 9/10. Extremely interesting styles. The whispering is well-suited. Nice harmonies. The phrasing is cool, too. Finally, I'm quite a fan of the chorus.

Welcome to the Black Parade: 6.5/10. The beef of the song is so generic and boring. The lyrics are annoying. I like the intro and outro.

I Don't Love You: 4/10. Uninteresting. His voice is too harsh for the sound. Also very generic and plain.

House of Wolves: 6/10. The chorus sucks and is very generic, but the verses have sort of a cheeky, jazzy sound to them which I like a lot. His voice doesn't suit this song, though, again.

Cancer: 8.5/10. I really like this song. The melody is smart, and he actually does a good job of making the vocals fit with the ballad-like song. His voice sounds too produced as a result, but I really enjoy this one.

Mama: 8.5/10. LOOOOVE the verses to this one. Doesn't sound like an MCR song at ALL. The chorus is quite lame (and the transitions from verse to chorus could've used a lot of work), but the verses are worth it. I love how he makes his vocals work with this song.

Sleep: 7/10. Generic, but I like it. It has a cool dark sound. Sounds a little anthemic.

Teenagers: 7.5/10. I like the quirky sound of the song... but his voice is way too harsh in this one in the beginning. Once the sound gets thicker, it works.

Disenchanted: 6/10. Much worse attempt at a ballad. Cancer should've been the only slow song on the album. This one is too generic.

Famous Last Words: 8/10. Love his voice in this one, and the overall feel of the song is strong. The guitarwork is interesting. Still a little generic, though.

And there's my pathetic lameness for the day. :)

All About Eve
10-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Someone needs to put it on yousendit.

/hint.

Llamas
10-25-2006, 09:46 AM
zip files okay?

DeAtHsTaR
10-25-2006, 03:52 PM
So a band I always used to talk shit about has made the best album of the year IMO. It's amazing really.

barangatang
10-25-2006, 05:54 PM
I still don't like them, or the album but I can smell some Billy corgan (not really at all, but they're heading in the direction corgan being smelled)

All About Eve
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM
I love ilovellamas.

DeAtHsTaR
10-25-2006, 06:32 PM
I still don't like them, or the album but I can smell some Billy corgan (not really at all, but they're heading in the direction corgan being smelled)

Maybe the fact that Gerard way looks like him?

H1T_That
10-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not impressed with the album.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Does anyone have the any info on these guys? i got a school project on them and have no idea what they are except that they are some band?
i have their official site but any info would be good thanx

What kind of a teacher assigns projects on My Chemical Romance?

IAmARevenant
10-26-2006, 10:06 PM
What kind of a teacher assigns projects on My Chemical Romance?
Yeah I know, that was fucking weird. Still, if I was assigned to do a project on MCR, I'd do it.

henderson.mark
01-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey MCR Fans -

(I hope this doesnt get taken as spam)

Im selling a signed poster from right before Demolition Lovers was released on ebay - all four members of the band signed it and keep in mind this was back when they had Matt, the old drummer!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180075989247

I'm the seller so let me know if you have any questions! Thanks!

DeAtHsTaR
01-18-2007, 04:05 PM
What the hell is Demolition Lovers?

ZagmenO
01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Bumping threads is awesome!!! :p

henderson.mark
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
bump. the price is now $1.99

Sorry, Demolition Lovers is the name of the piece of artwork - I meant to say Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge :rolleyes:

Llamas
01-19-2007, 12:25 AM
So, if it's signed by all the members, why isn't that mentioned in the ebay ad? Shady.

Tom
01-19-2007, 05:08 AM
The whole song is fucking gay.

henderson.mark
01-19-2007, 06:58 AM
So, if it's signed by all the members, why isn't that mentioned in the ebay ad? Shady.

look at the picture - you can see all of the signatures :mad:

ZagmenO
01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
look at the picture - you can see all of the signatures :mad:

How do we know you didn't just forge the signatures yourself...?

WHERE WERE YOU ON THE NIGHT OF THE BIG FIASCO!?

Sorry, that just kinda slipped out! :rolleyes:

henderson.mark
01-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Look, my girlfriend worked at a college radio station, she got the poster in the mail as a Promo and it was before they 'hit it big.' Why is it so hard to believe that they signed it?

henderson.mark
01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
well, regardless - bidding has begun!

24 bids, $26 !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180075989247

there's the link again

henderson.mark
01-22-2007, 04:00 PM
the money from this will help pay for a trip to scotland me and my girlfriend are planning :)