PDA

View Full Version : TSOL, 1984-91 era.

Hypodermic_89
10-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I love TSOL, and I recently found out that the band once consisted of no original members, and that Joe Wood did vocals between 84-91. I think the Joe Wood material is awesome, although I prefer Jack Grishams style.

What do you guys think of the music TSOL recorded with Joe Wood?

Sinister
10-03-2006, 10:39 AM
All I can say is I really like Code Blue, but I don't know what era it's from.

Amiralanal
10-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I love TSOL, and I recently found out that the band once consisted of no original members, and that Joe Wood did vocals between 84-91. I think the Joe Wood material is awesome, although I prefer Jack Grishams style.

What do you guys think of the music TSOL recorded with Joe Wood?

i have ''Dance with me''. who sings on that album?

0r4ng3
10-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Code Blue is on Dance With Me, released in '82, and Jack Grisham did vocals.

I hope I answered both questions.

I actually don't have any albums from the Joe Wood era. The only albums I have are Dance With Me, Disappear, and Divided We Stand.

Amiralanal
10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
dance with me is pretty good.

You can definitly here that The offspring was inspired by TSOL.

nameless
10-03-2006, 04:08 PM
did they get their gigs sorted?! i remember they had to cancel a load recently!

I don't know
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
the joe wood era is good, but TSOL is much better with jack grisham

DeAtHsTaR
10-03-2006, 05:29 PM
I heard that The Offspring's self-titled was basically Dance With Me. Anyone agree with that? I haven't heard it.

0r4ng3
10-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Not really, but there are some similarities. Code Blue and Beheaded are essentially the same song, though.

opivy21
10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
The Offspring's self-titled is a little different, but the influence is obvious.

I don't really care for the Joe Wood period. I heard one really good song from that time, but I've heard plenty of not so good ones. They really changed the style up. Also, I think it's pretty stupid that the original line up couldn't even play shows with their own name.

Just for laughs, take a look at the band then:
http://www.geneticdisorder.net/Rock%20On%20Web%20Photos/tsol.jpg
That picture has two of the original members (Roche and Emory), but they still all look like douches.

DeAtHsTaR
10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Not really, but there are some similarities. Code Blue and Beheaded are essentially the same song, though.
Haha, I just downloaded Code Blue, and holy shit, two songs cannot be more similar.

Well except for Metallica/Battery and Sum41/Bitter End but that's not the point, lol.

Emily_offspring_fan
10-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Haha, I just downloaded Code Blue, and holy shit, two songs cannot be more similar.
Yes, I thought the same the first time I listen to it.
TSOL is an excellent band, I like them very much. But I don't like the songs with Joe Wood. He has a very different voice, and the group started to play a different style and I don't like it.
Here is the complete history, it explains the deal with the new members and all that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSOL#Biography .
I have some songs of that period with Joe Wood, like Strange Love or Hit and Run. I can upload them, if you want.

Kitten
10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Truthfully, I feel that the Joe Woods led TSOL should have changed it's name, since the thing that made TSOL so distinctive was Jack Grisham's voice.
As for shows cancelled, what shows? And where did you hear it?
And Dance With Me is siad to be one of the influences surrounding the self-titled album.

Tigger Army
10-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Code Blue is on Dance With Me, released in '82, and Jack Grisham did vocals.

I hope I answered both questions.

I actually don't have any albums from the Joe Wood era. The only albums I have are Dance With Me, Disappear, and Divided We Stand.

I actually own ALL joe wood era cds and the stuff is actually pretty decent, though the Jack Grisham & Todd Barnes (let's not forget they quit together) period was better. I especially like the songs:

Red Shadow
In the wind
Flowers by the door

dance with me is pretty good.

You can definitly here that The offspring was inspired by TSOL.
Inspired most of the songs were direct rip offs really. The guitar sound is the same half of the drum beats are the same, a couple of the riffs are at least similar and the issues dealt with in the songs are pretty much exact the same.

the joe wood era is good, but TSOL is much better with jack grisham

agreed, though I have some doubts on the 'much' part.

I heard that The Offspring's self-titled was basically Dance With Me. Anyone agree with that? I haven't heard it.

Yes, very true (as mentioned above)

Truthfully, I feel that the Joe Woods led TSOL should have changed it's name, since the thing that made TSOL so distinctive was Jack Grisham's voice.

actually in some songs I barely notice the difference between Jack in 1981-83 and Joe Wood. I do think the 'new' TSOL had every right to have that name at least till Ron quitted concidering he wrote most of the music (though jack was responsible for the lyrics). Besides Jack basically gave the name away. (Ironically Joe was apperantly an asshole when the band wanted their name back in 1999).

Oh and there are actually no recordings of the band without any members of the original since Mike Roche only quit right after the last album (Strange Love) was recorded. (And Ron slightly before that).