PDA

View Full Version : Hey Anyone got Guitar tips?

Rayn671
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I've been playing guitar on off for 5 or 6 years.....obviously now i don't play the offspring much as i perfer to learn stuff that challenges me like Dire straights but i've been song writing allot and i just wanted advice for good scales to play power chord songs though or any tips really.....my lyrics and singing are good enough i think its jjust my riffs sound like 3 or 4 chords played over and over. i taught myself guitar and music theory....my advice to ANYONE is learn a bit of theory cause it helps so so much. anyway i'd appriciate some advice.

Andy
xXx:D

Sinister
10-03-2006, 10:13 AM
pentatonic minor scale on top of powerchords is the way to go - most (if not all) Metallica solos, for example, are done that way.

Rayn671
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
:) i've gone off metal now more into Ska-punk and Grunge...but offsprings stil my favorate band! anyway i'll have a try and see what sounds i can jam out :D maybe the offspring should do a song with Less than Jake one day?? :D

offspringing
10-03-2006, 11:42 AM
this is in the wrong section

Tijs
10-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Moved to Your Band, you'd probably get better replies there.

coke_a_holic
10-03-2006, 12:35 PM
5 or 6 years and still working with powerchords, dude? I've been playing about 2 years, and I've started experimenting with really odd chords and with strange modes. What you REALLY want to get into is the modes. They're what scales come out of, and they're really interesting.

Ionian (major scale) has a very happy sound and is used in basically every song you knew as a child: twinkle, twinkle little star, happy birthday, etc. These are the note names for all the modes that are based out of C major.

C Ionian: C D E F G A B C
D Dorian: D E F G A B C D
E Phrygian: E F G A B C D E
F Lydian: F G A B C D E F
G Mixolydian: G A B C D E F G
A Aeolian: A B C D E F G A
B Locrian: B C D E F G A B

You can do this with ANY major scale (like G Ionian is the same as B Phrygian).

Now, these can be expressed as intervals to make them easier and more accessible.

Ionian: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Dorian: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 8
Phrygian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8
Lydian: 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Mixolydian: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 8
Aeolian: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8
Locrian: 1, b2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7, 8

This should be right, but there's a huge chance I made a mistake. T-6005 and Jebus know more about music theory than I do, so go by what they say, not me. If you have any questions (which I'm sure you do), feel free to post them in this thread and someone will answer them.

If you can, check out barre chords, 7th chords, and triads, they'll help you out a lot.

T-6005
10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
To be honest, I've always hated thinking of modes as modes. I don't know why, it just annoys me. I just generally think in aeolian and simply decide to start on a different note.

Anyway, for developing what I think the original poster is talking about, 7ths are where it's at in a major way. If you ever get tired of power chords (which isn't hard), I very much doubt standard major and minors will cut it, so it's best to bring it 7ths for the little bit extra. It adds a lot.

Think about inversions as well. It's not as obvious on guitar, since you just think of them as different ways to play chords, but they can also add a ton of diversity to your sound.

And Mike, I probably don't know as much theory as you do - my knowledge isn't expansive in that area.

ygokazuki
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Mr. Coke know what he's talking about. :)
You might also want to check out diminished and augmented scales. In jamming, you might only use them for a couple of beats as a transition, but they're still neat and sound super wierd.

coke_a_holic
10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
In any case, you have much more experience than I do, and much MUCH better aural skills. I would trust your opinion over mine on theory, anyway.

But yeah, I usually think in Ionian and just change the root note; I was just writing it all out for him/anyone else so that they could get a better grasp on what it means. And my guitar teacher tried to show me inversions once and I got completely lost. I have no idea why, as looking back it was extremely simple, but I just... couldn't do it a couple months ago.

So yeah, I mean, regarding the original poster, just start off with the basic pentatonic scales (I'm going to assume that the minor pentatonic is in every rock song you know, so you'd use it there). They share a group of notes which I will capitalize, so you'll be able to see how they're connected. O's represent root notes (where you start on the scale), they change for the major and minor, the o's don't fall on top of each other.

minor major
o| | |X| |O| |x|
x| | |X| |X| |x|
x| |X| | |X| |x| |
x| |O| | |X| | |x|
x| |X| | |X| | |x|
o| | |X| |O| |x|

EDIT: Don't get him started on diminished and augmented just yet... you might blow up his brain.

Rayn671
10-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Narr man, i wasn't just playing powerchords....but i love punk, grunge and Ska so its a bit difficult using full barre chords and sticking distortion over it especially when you want a nice cutting sound, well i exclude my Ska songs from that....it seems like any chord played with Ska on-off strumming seems to work :D i know all about modes mate its just for example the major scale and you start on the 2nd note, i never used it really it seems like i might as well say i'm playing on the C scale rather than complicating it by saying what mode and stuff i'm playing in lmao! anyone agree?

anyway my original question was about chord progressions :D lmao! as i'm a rythem Guitarist/singer/songwriter and my brother does all the lead stuff...sorry i can't stop myself saying that i play stuff like 'let it be' and 'blackbird' or accustic finger plucked songs nowadays when i'm practising don't get me wrong i'm not still playing just power chords after 5 or 6 or however long i've been playing i moved away from that a long time ago, i love mixing power chords with lead tho like 'money for nothing' etc.....ok sorry i've gone way off subject, what was i saying??
A xXx

T-6005
10-04-2006, 07:50 AM
i know all about modes mate its just for example the major scale and you start on the 2nd note, i never used it really it seems like i might as well say i'm playing on the C scale rather than complicating it by saying what mode and stuff i'm playing in lmao! anyone agree?

For guitar, I'm definitely willing to agree. Although if you're using a different note as your root, you should probably mention that rather than saying just "in C."

I think modes are probably far more important on other instruments.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
10-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a tip:

Lay off the doobie! :)

German Andres
10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey! I have played the guitar for...8 months(don`t laugh) and I started with the powerchords, then I left them to play hardest notes, but finally I learned that the powerchords are the best notes.

ygokazuki
10-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Another thing about modes: as Coke said, if you use the little chart he gave you, they'll always sound perfectly diatonic and in key.
BUT, if you want it to be more interesting, play the mode whose sound you want over the key chord of the song.
For example, Come Out and Play is in Bm (if I remember correctly). Now, if Dex wanted to sound perfectly diatonic and in key and well, boring, he would right G phrygian. But he wanted that sound to reflect more, so he used B phyrgian DOMINANT, right in the key, so that b2 and major are really highlighted.