PDA

View Full Version : Offspring=Metallica

Come out and smash'em up!
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Lets look at the albums in time order

kill em all and S/T, kill em all is really raw trash metal as S/T is a raw punk album.
Ride the lightning and ignition, a bit more artistic albums, both have a great slow song RTL has fade to black as Ignition has dirty magic, both appreciated songs by the fans.
Master of Puppets and Smash, bought albums are Breakthrough albums, and both albums have a classic song MOP has Master of puppets and Smash has Self esteem.
...And Justice for all and Ixany on the hombre, both albums have caught in the middle of the succesful albums, both albums have long name, and both albums have a song about somebody who has died, for metallica it is to live is to die, and for offspring it is Gone away.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black album and Americana, both albums brought the bands to real mainstream success as for metallica the first big hit was Enter Sandman and for the Offspring it was Pretty fly, bought songs are disliked by the "true fans".after bought albums there was long tours and bought bands performed in woodstock 99.

Load/Reload and Conspiracy of one: bought albus are disliked by the true fans, and the style has changed has changed from the past.

St.Anger and Splinter: bought albums start with letter "s" and they came out in 2003, bought records have a new member in it,metallica Rob Trujillo, offspring josh freese, bought albums have 2 singles, and have a different style from the past and divide opinions among fans.

the line in the middle shows what is the old style of the band as for the metallica it means thrash metal and for the offspring it means Pure Punk rock.

if u have other similarities list them here :D

btw: Big four of modern Punk and Trash metal

The Offspring - Metallica
Green Day - Slayer
Bad Religion - Anthrax
Rancid - Megadeth

Jakebert
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
You tried so hard to make this work that I almost don't want to point out that you failed.

Little_Miss_1565
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
That's a bit of a stretch...

NachoS_Ixnay
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
First of all, try to learn how to type in english, just after that start speaking your mind

DeAtHsTaR
10-04-2006, 03:04 PM
You missed out on how Ixnay and Justice both were very underrated and didn't do well commercially. (Yes, they both had a big single, but they didn't sell very well)

The Offspring - Metallica
Green Day - Slayer
Bad Religion - Anthrax
Rancid - Megadeth
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! Green Day rules but that comparison just made me laugh.

Also, why do people always type thrash as trash?

10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
First of all, try to learn how to type in english, just after that start speaking your mind

what did i type wrong? maybe it's just your imagination?

yeah it's a bit streched but, still they have many similarities.

NachoS_Ixnay
10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
what did i type wrong? maybe it's just your imagination?

ok, ok, maybe it was my imagination:D

KoX
10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
St.Anger and Splinter: bought albums start with letter "s" and they came out in 2003, bought records have a new member in it,metallica Rob Trujillo, offspring josh freese, bought albums have 2 singles, and have a different style from the past and divide opinions among fans.

Well, St. Anger had 3 singles (St. Anger, Frantic, The Unnamed Feeling) ;)

thecavedog
10-05-2006, 01:16 AM
The Offspring and Metallica are much the same to me in the sence of them being the best in their geanre(what's the plural?)

Manic Subsidal Boy
10-05-2006, 04:53 AM
the idea of Kill 'Em All and Self Titled works!

Corpse
10-05-2006, 05:47 AM
FFS dude. Learn to spell fucking both.

B-O-T-H. BOTH!

sad_statue_27
10-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Well, St. Anger had 3 singles (St. Anger, Frantic, The Unnamed Feeling) ;)

Actually I don't think St. Anger or Frantic actually were released as singles. (Yes I know they made a video for St. Anger, but I've never seen a single. Only promos) There were 2 singles from the album though, I believe they were The Unnamed Feeling and Some Kind Of Monster.

Amiralanal
10-05-2006, 09:17 AM
fuck a duck

Corpse
10-05-2006, 10:25 AM
All 4 were released ad singles.

http://www.metallica.com/Media/Albums/albums.asp?album_id=11

H1T_That
10-05-2006, 10:38 AM
St.Anger and Splinter: bought albums start with letter "s" and they came out in 2003

I laughed at this one.

BustedKnuckles
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I hate how people constantly use "real fans". What is a freaking real fan? Does me liking CO1 make me not a real fan? It IS an Offspring album after all.

I think the real fan stuff is just real nonsense.

Corpse
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
A real fan starts with actually understanding a bit about the band.

For example, if you claimed to be a fan off Offspring, yet the only songs you like were Want You Bad, Original Prankster and Pretty Fly For A White Guy, I would say you're not a real fan.

Hell, liking Conspiracy of One makes you no more or less a 'real' fan of Offspring as liking Ignition, as long you understand that they're not the only songs.

BustedKnuckles
10-05-2006, 01:38 PM
For example, if you claimed to be a fan off Offspring, yet the only songs you like were Want You Bad, Original Prankster and Pretty Fly For A White Guy, I would say you're not a real fan.

Hell, liking Conspiracy of One makes you no more or less a 'real' fan of Offspring as liking Ignition, as long you understand that they're not the only songs.

That's what I'm getting at a little. I think for the most part CO1 is a great album...

But the thing is this:

Load/Reload and Conspiracy of one: bought albus are disliked by the true fans, and the style has changed has changed from the past.

That's what I don't like. Who says "true fans" dislike CO1 I have to question what a "true fan" is because you have great songs like Living in Chaos, One Fine Day (Should be The Raider Fans Anthem), Denial Revisited, Vultures, Dammit I Changed Again and Million Miles on it. To me that's 6 of 12 songs...1/2 an album of good tunage.

Corpse
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Haha. Honestly, don't take notice of what he said. You know in your heart if you truly are or not. Don't listen to someone who can't even spell both :p.

And also, alot of people didn't like CO1, but the majority of people did. Maybe it wasn't their favourite, but still...

OffspringPhreak
10-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow, and I thought I had free time.

All that nonsense about true fans is BS. Like what you like, and if you don't like it, it's your loss.

Venom Symbiote
10-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok, I won't get into this too much, because the entire thread is a load of camel shit, but...

CaveDog, Metallica are absolutely not the best in their field. No way. Lars is a helluva drummer, and Hetfield is a great singer when he's not cheesily laughing like an idiot in between verses.

But Hammett is a fucking average guitar player as far as thrash-metal goes, I really don't know where his high status in the music community came from. He's ok, but fuck - compared to Dave Mustaine or Kerry King? Fuck no.

Hell, even some power metal bands out there (traditionally fairly simple in construction as far as metal styles go) have better guitarists. Hammerfall and Dragonforce guys come to mind.

Whereas punk rock is traditionally shitty easy guitar music, Noodles absolutely owns everyone in his "punk rock" field. Hammett, put simply, does not.

Hetfield can do a good metal voice, and Ulrich and Hammett are both above average too, but fuck. No way. Metallica is outdone by so many other groups out there, and always have been. The only reason they're seen as "complicated" or elite in musicianship is because they hit the mainstream and more people knew about them.

Megadeth as a band, as just one example, have always pissed in Metallica's open mouths, for lack of a less derogatory metaphor.

That_Guy91
10-05-2006, 07:17 PM
For the most part, I agree, but

Lars is a helluva drummer

Not really. Of what I've heard. Unless you tell me a song to change my mind.

Noodles absolutely owns everyone in his "punk rock" field.

I wouldn't say everyone. Most of 'em, though. Warren Fitzgerald, Stephen Egerton, Brian Baker, Greg Ginn, and a few others I've heard are better. He's pretty far above average for a punk rock guitarist, though. (I know you probably didn't mean this literally, I just wanted to point it out)

DeAtHsTaR
10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok, I won't get into this too much, because the entire thread is a load of camel shit, but...

CaveDog, Metallica are absolutely not the best in their field. No way. Lars is a helluva drummer, and Hetfield is a great singer when he's not cheesily laughing like an idiot in between verses.

But Hammett is a fucking average guitar player as far as thrash-metal goes, I really don't know where his high status in the music community came from. He's ok, but fuck - compared to Dave Mustaine or Kerry King? Fuck no.

Hell, even some power metal bands out there (traditionally fairly simple in construction as far as metal styles go) have better guitarists. Hammerfall and Dragonforce guys come to mind.

Whereas punk rock is traditionally shitty easy guitar music, Noodles absolutely owns everyone in his "punk rock" field. Hammett, put simply, does not.

Hetfield can do a good metal voice, and Ulrich and Hammett are both above average too, but fuck. No way. Metallica is outdone by so many other groups out there, and always have been. The only reason they're seen as "complicated" or elite in musicianship is because they hit the mainstream and more people knew about them.

Megadeth as a band, as just one example, have always pissed in Metallica's open mouths, for lack of a less derogatory metaphor.

Kirk is just a good guitarist, not great, but James Hetfield should be given credit for making some of the best riffs ever.

DeAtHsTaR
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
For the most part, I agree, but

Not really. Of what I've heard. Unless you tell me a song to change my mind.

Download Dyers Eve, listen to the whole song.

Venom Symbiote
10-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Kirk is just a good guitarist, not great, but James Hetfield should be given credit for making some of the best riffs ever.

Doesn't Kirk write most of the riffs anyway? And if you're talking about the bands memorable riffs from the really early albums (maybe just the first two?) they were for the most part written by Dave Mustaine anyway. Pssh.

Meh, I guess Steve Edgerton and Brian Baker would definitely be up there with the best too, ThatGuy. They're great at what they do, in terms of punk-rock guitar. Noodles just seems to go up and above that though, it's hard to explain. Noodles can play a lot of styles, whereas The Descendents have only ever really dabbled in the one kind of musical vibe. Noodles can do the cheesiest ballads right up to something like "Mota" or whatever, I have no doubt he could play some decent metal tunes with a bit of practice too.

The other guitarists mentioned are amazing musicians, but kind of...within their limitations, if you know what I mean. Noodles has more range, which I think probably makes him just edge them out in terms of proficiency.

thecavedog
10-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Doesn't Kirk write most of the riffs anyway? And if you're talking about the bands memorable riffs from the really early albums (maybe just the first two?) they were for the most part written by Dave Mustaine anyway. Pssh.

Meh, I guess Steve Edgerton and Brian Baker would definitely be up there with the best too, ThatGuy. They're great at what they do, in terms of punk-rock guitar. Noodles just seems to go up and above that though, it's hard to explain. Noodles can play a lot of styles, whereas The Descendents have only ever really dabbled in the one kind of musical vibe. Noodles can do the cheesiest ballads right up to something like "Mota" or whatever, I have no doubt he could play some decent metal tunes with a bit of practice too.

The other guitarists mentioned are amazing musicians, but kind of...within their limitations, if you know what I mean. Noodles has more range, which I think probably makes him just edge them out in terms of proficiency.

I agree with you here, but saying that Megadeth is better than Metallica hmmm. I've given Megadeth a few shots, but their music sucks. It's just how I feel. Not telling anyone how they should feel.

Venom Symbiote
10-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah, well, that would all be well and good if this was a matter of opinion.

But see, here's how it works in the real world: Megadeth are more inspired, creative, socially relevant, and yes, technically proficient than the Mighty Lords of Being Overrated, conveniently known as the four guys in Metallica.

Opinion doesn't come into this, I'm afraid.

DeAtHsTaR
10-06-2006, 06:59 AM

No, James writes almost all the riffs. On the first two albums Dave wrote about half of them.

Corpse
10-06-2006, 07:53 AM

Well, I do disagree with most things here, however, I do agree that Noodles owns most people. HOWEVER, I think one of the best punk-rock guitarists Dave Baksh, even though Sum 41 are pretty bad.

Little_Miss_1565
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
FYI, this thread is thisclose to being moved to "Other Bands"

Corpse
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Ok. I think it should be there anyway really.

DeAtHsTaR
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, I do disagree with most things here, however, I do agree that Noodles owns most people. HOWEVER, I think one of the best punk-rock guitarists Dave Baksh, even though Sum 41 are pretty bad.

I agree, Baksh is pretty damn good.

10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
the "true fan" thing is just a sarcastic word about those fans, that only like the old stuff, because it's true "punks", i like all the albums, and still think i'm a true fan.

Maby the guitarists aren't steve vais or satrianis, but they sure can make hell of a riffs and solos, which is the main thing, and they can play the songs live with minimum mistakes.and i think both bands are best of their genre.

Venom Symbiote
10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Oh, come on. The Sum 41 guy is good for a Sum 41 type band. Not much more.

As for the guy in the last post saying both bands are the best in their genre, you're wrong. For the metal side of things, anyway.

grunge
10-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Returning to the top. I can find similarity beetwen Offspring and Nirvana:

Dirty Magic - Come As You Are

Self Esteem - Smells Like Teen Spirit

These songs are similar by the guitar riffs and style of playing.

P.S. You cannot have another opinions because I absolutely right. :)

Ninty Man
10-06-2006, 10:56 PM

DON'T EVER, EVER COMPARE THE SHIT OF NIRVANA WITH OFFSPRING

EVER

Venom Symbiote
10-06-2006, 11:04 PM
*smirks*

You tell 'em, Mexi!

Manic Subsidal Boy
10-06-2006, 11:08 PM

You can tell with those two songs, the riffs and style but one thing's for sure, deffinatley NOT by vocals;)

DeAtHsTaR
10-06-2006, 11:14 PM

Have you ever heard 88?

Venom Symbiote
10-07-2006, 12:46 AM
I've heard all of their stuff, yeah. And don't get me wrong, I really like their "Does This Look Infected" album (even though it's basically "Conspiracy Of One v.2" by a different group). But sure, their most complicated stuff is off the newest album ("88" is on "Chuck", right?), the Master Of Puppets-esque riff and all.

And, I mean, like I said I don't hate them, but that's what that album is. Watered down simplified Metallica stuff.

The Indian dude is a good enough player, he's very proficient for the type of music he plays, but really...he's nothing special up and above that.

10-07-2006, 02:12 AM

don't forget

Come out and play - love buzz

vultures - come as you are

killing joke - eighties = come as you are

grunge
10-07-2006, 03:44 AM
I can't say that Come Out And Play and Love Buzz are similar maybe just some parts of each songs are similar but in general they aren't similar.

About Vultures and CAYA you are absolutely right. Vultures more similar with Come As you Are than Dirty magic.

Corpse
10-07-2006, 05:07 AM

Just cause the guy plays in Sum 41, doesn't mean he is restricted to that kind of music. He is a very good metal guitarist, which is the reason why he left Sum 41 really.

DeAtHsTaR
10-07-2006, 09:13 AM
They didn't just rip off Metallica, they ripped off Linkin Park, Oasis, Papa Roach, and SOAD!

Haha and I'm supposed to be defending them.

Venom Symbiote
10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
He's a huge classic metal fan, Corpse, I know. So is Derryck (or however that douche decides to mis-spell his name).

But he's hardly an awesome guitar player for that genre. He's an awesome metal guitarist for someone whose been in a power-chord pop-punk band. He's hardly as much of a virtuoso as you make him out to be. After all, they got Kerry King in to do the solo on their Spiderman track because Dave couldn't play it himself.

DeAtHsTaR
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
He's a huge classic metal fan, Corpse, I know. So is Derryck (or however that douche decides to mis-spell his name).

But he's hardly an awesome guitar player for that genre. He's an awesome metal guitarist for someone whose been in a power-chord pop-punk band. He's hardly as much of a virtuoso as you make him out to be. After all, they got Kerry King in to do the solo on their Spiderman track because Dave couldn't play it himself.
I think he could do that solo, Kerry King just lieks to guest play on albums. He played the solo on No Sleep Till Brooklyn by The Beastie Boys too, even though one of them can play guitar decently, but I guess that guy's probably not too good.

thecavedog
10-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Yeah, well, that would all be well and good if this was a matter of opinion.

But see, here's how it works in the real world: Megadeth are more inspired, creative, socially relevant, and yes, technically proficient than the Mighty Lords of Being Overrated, conveniently known as the four guys in Metallica.

Opinion doesn't come into this, I'm afraid.

Isn't this just your opinion? Try not to be an asshole

The Noose
10-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Coincidently, the guy who made Metallic suck and sell out is producing their next album.:eek:

RickyCrack
10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/comics/20060109.jpg