PDA

View Full Version : Instrument poll

DeAtHsTaR
10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
What instrument do you play? I play bass, keyboard, and occasionally the acoustic guitar.

coke_a_holic
10-08-2006, 06:43 PM
How much proficiency are we talking?

I can play: guitar, bass, and drums.

I can "play": keyboards, vocals, various percussion instruments, the xyblowphone (it was a project in 4th grade that I'm going to recreate as soon as I have more bottles... you'll all see it eventually).

EDIT: I thought there was an "other" section. I guess some of those don't count.

That_Guy91
10-08-2006, 06:44 PM
You left out woodwinds, douche!

NachoS_Ixnay
10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Electric Bass 4 Ever!!!!

and also i play the piano and sometimes the acoustic guitar

NDM1
10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I can play guitar pretty well, hold my own on drums, and barely get by on bass.

FrancoDaHui
10-08-2006, 10:05 PM
only guitars for me, i tried the drums but i gave up.......after 5 minutes

0r4ng3
10-08-2006, 10:08 PM
What about the Holophonor? You forgot the Holophonor.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/6f/180px-Holophonor.jpg

Sinister
10-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I can play electric/acoustic guitar (three chords on the latter, I don't focus on it), and electric bass using an octaver, baritone (though I stopped since I left high school), and I like to think I sing well.

coke_a_holic
10-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Uh, if you can play electric guitar, you can play acoustic guitar. They're tuned the exact same way and stuff...

killer_queen
10-09-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm pretty good at playing piano and flute. I also can play cello but I'm not really good at it.

JoY
10-09-2006, 06:37 AM
I can play violin, viola, a bit of piano, a bit of cello & I have a guitar, but I barely know how to play it.

Edit: oh right, & I like to sing. I have a low voice, though, so it's mostly suitable for jazz. conveniently that's what I enjoy singing most.

Manic Subsidal Boy
10-09-2006, 06:38 AM
i can play all, but lack of skills the problem

killer_queen
10-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Edit: oh right, & I like to sing. I have a low voice, though, so it's mostly suitable for jazz. conveniently that's what I enjoy singing most.
I really really want to hear you sing right know.
And I really want to sing but I have this very disgusting voice and I'm just too shy for it. I can't sing even when I'm all alone. It's just weird.

Duskygrin
10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I love singing. Not that I can sing, though.

I play the piano. And that's it. I'm not musically versatile. But as Google says, better to do one thing, & do it well.

mrconeman
10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Electric guitar, Acoustic guitar. Those are what I play properly.
I play bass when I'm in any of my friends houses (I know about 50346503476 bassists). And occasionaly fool around with a keyboard in school.

opivy21
10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I play electric guitar, bass, and trombone. I like to sing but I'm not very good. Also, I took piano lessons back in the day, but quit.

Apathy
10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
both basses, + Vocals.

I play bari sax too. You don't have any kind of woodwind or sax section, so I just put voted brass.

Thomas
10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I play drums. You can see a really old video of me in my sig, but it's not that good. I also took piana for a few weeks, but that ended quickly.

T-6005
10-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I see no reason to post every one of my instruments on here, seeing as it's an open poll.

I'll just say that I can barely pull off a decent drumroll on the drums, although I can technically play, and that my bass skills are limited to Hysteria by Muse - which I can only play because of loving the bass line and playing it to death on guitar.

Tigger Army
10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I can play violin, viola, a bit of piano, a bit of cello & I have a guitar, but I barely know how to play it.

a BIT of piano? at least call it reasonable. Unless you've unlearned it over the last few years.

offspring fan
10-10-2006, 11:11 AM
i play banjo too! you forgot Banjo!

Tigger Army
10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
i play banjo too! you forgot Banjo!

it's not exactly a usual instrument to play (though it's cool people play instruments such as the banjo)

randman21
10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Err, I sing, play guitar (electric and acoustic) and piano the best, in that order. I will also pick up the bass (and maybe drums), once I get enough loot to buy one.

Hmm, also, if "Woodwinds" was on there, I'd choose it, for clarinet.

0r4ng3
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM

I also forgot to mention the Ocarina. Time, and otherwise.

randman21
10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
...Ocarina. Time, and otherwise.
:D :)

Unnatural Disaster
10-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Acoustic/Electric Guitar

no_way
10-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Acoustic guitar, piano/keyboard and I sing aaaalllllll the time, and I think I'm pretty good at everything. Althuogh I do need serious practise with keyboard. And buy a regular size one... And start going to keyboard lessons... Oh man...

opivy21
10-10-2006, 04:45 PM
I forgot to say ukulele. I play that even though mine is cheap and I suck.

petey
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM

haha. yeah i play the drums and the electric guitar. i can also play various percussion (bells, xylaphone, i think thats how you spell it, timpani, and other stuff).

petey
10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Acoustic guitar, piano/keyboard and I sing aaaalllllll the time, and I think I'm pretty good at everything. Althuogh I do need serious practise with keyboard. And buy a regular size one... And start going to keyboard lessons... Oh man...
well...
(ten characters)

no_way
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
well...
(ten characters)

Well... What? Will you buy me a keyboard?? *shiny eyes*

German Andres
10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I play the acoustic guitar and I`m planning to buy an electric one. I also sing, ocasionally.... and I know a little bit about the bass.

JoY
10-24-2006, 05:05 AM
a BIT of piano? at least call it reasonable. Unless you've unlearned it over the last few years.

awwies.<3 okies, maybe I'm pretty "reasonable" at it.

I taught myself to play Amelie! I'm nowhere near playing it entirely correct yet, but it's becoming better & better. (thanks to Maria, by the way)

Kathy
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
I just can play acoustic guitar, I tried electric one once.. but I suck a it.

weird..:s

Original prankstA
10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
i play guitar, acoustic guitar (i don't really like it tho), drums, you could call me a vocalist- im not the best, and i try to play bass (i try means i suck)

Ryder1234
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
i play electric guitar, acoustic, alto sax, and vocals

Llamas
11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Electric Guitar
Acoustic Guitar
Electric Bass
Acoustic Bass
Keyboard/Piano
Brass instrument (Specify)
vocals
string instrument (ie violin, specify)
Drums

This poll sucks. If you can play electric guitar, you can play acoustic. A bass that's not electric is not called acoustic; it's called upright. Guitar and bass are both stringed instruments. There are many, many percussion instruments that aren't drums, so that's a bad option. In any case, I can play:

Alto and tenor saxophone
Flute
Trumpet
Guitar
Drum set
Snare drum
Clarinet
Mellophone
Mandolin
Voice
Bass

Professor Chaos
11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
A bass that's not electric is not called acoustic; it's called upright.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/navigation/acoustic-acoustic-electric-bass?N=100001+306323

Llamas
11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the insight.

Regardless, what if you don't play electric or acoustic? What if you play the real bass? Then what? you can't vote.

Apathy
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
This poll sucks. If you can play electric guitar, you can play acoustic. A bass that's not electric is not called acoustic; it's called upright. Guitar and bass are both stringed instruments. There are many, many percussion instruments that aren't drums, so that's a bad option. In any case, I can play:

You have an impressive list of instruments, however you're wrong about a few things.

Saying that if you can play electric, you can play acoustic is usually right, but not always. Besides, you had Alto sax listed in your list and not Bari Sax. The Notes and fingerings are essentially the same and if you play one you should theoretically be able to play the other one with no problems whatsoever. Yet, you did not list it for whatever reason. This points that you consider yourself someone who plays Alto Sax, not Bari. Isn't it quite possible that someone considers themself an Acoustic Guitar player, and they hate Electric Guitar?

There are acoustic basses as professor chaos pointed out, and an upright bass would most likely go in the stringed section. As for the string section itself, he said 'Ie violin' indicating he was asking for orchestra instruments.
Besides wouldn't it be an even shitter poll if he didn't classify Guitars from Violas from Pianos, all of which are stringed instruments technically?

And also, drums isn't a bad option. Percussion was never mentioned, and nothing implied that he was grouping it together with drums. You made that connection yourself.
He ommitted percussion entirely, perhaps because a list of fifty or sixty instruments would be tedious to read through and no one would really want to waste their time reading it.

Other than that, how did you come to be proficient at so many instruments? Are you majoring in music? If so, I've heard it's actually very hard compared to what people expect.

You really ought to finish that list out and learn how to play slide trombone, I've been told it's the most fun of the horn section.

edit: To your reply above, yes, yes you can. An upright bass is an orchestra instrument that would be classified as a string instrument, much like a cello, viola, or violin.

Llamas
11-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Saying that if you can play electric, you can play acoustic is usually right, but not always. Besides, you had Alto sax listed in your list and not Bari Sax. The Notes and fingerings are essentially the same and if you play one you should theoretically be able to play the other one with no problems whatsoever. Yet, you did not list it for whatever reason. This points that you consider yourself someone who plays Alto Sax, not Bari. Isn't it quite possible that someone considers themself an Acoustic Guitar player, and they hate Electric Guitar?
Those types of saxes are much different than electric and acoustic guitar. The differences in guitar come down to the strings on acoustic being harder to press down. On saxes, there is a LOT with the ambouschure/mouth/breathing/etc. I play alto and tenor sax. I am NO good at bari, soprano, contra bass, etc. I fucking suck at bari and would not consider myself proficient.

There are acoustic basses as professor chaos pointed out, and an upright bass would most likely go in the stringed section. As for the string section itself, he said 'Ie violin' indicating he was asking for orchestra instruments.
Besides wouldn't it be an even shitter poll if he didn't classify Guitars from Violas from Pianos, all of which are stringed instruments technically?

And also, drums isn't a bad option. Percussion was never mentioned, and nothing implied that he was grouping it together with drums. You made that connection yourself.
He ommitted percussion entirely, perhaps because a list of fifty or sixty instruments would be tedious to read through and no one would really want to waste their time reading it.
All of this stuff was coming down to me thinking it was a shitty list, and would have been better as "woodwinds" "brass winds" "stringed instruments" "voice" and "percussion". Otherwise, no poll would've been just fine. Listing such random instruments in such weird groups I just found annoying.

Other than that, how did you come to be proficient at so many instruments? Are you majoring in music? If so, I've heard it's actually very hard compared to what people expect.
Not a music major, but I wanted to be from like 5th grade til college. Then I realized music was a hobby and not a career. I pick up instruments for fun.

You really ought to finish that list out and learn how to play slide trombone, I've been told it's the most fun of the horn section.
I have a trombone and know the basics of how to play it, but I'm not proficient on it. Also, one of my goals in life is to become proficient on every common instrument. So that'll come in time.

Apathy
11-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Those types of saxes are much different than electric and acoustic guitar. The differences in guitar come down to the strings on acoustic being harder to press down. On saxes, there is a LOT with the ambouschure/mouth/breathing/etc. I play alto and tenor sax. I am NO good at bari, soprano, contra bass, etc. I fucking suck at bari and would not consider myself proficient.

I guess I can agree with this as I can play Bari Sax quite well but every note that comes out of an alto when I play it sounds squeaky and fucked up.

After playing bass so long, regular guitars in general piss me off. The strings and frets are so close together in comparison and I always forget where my fingers are.

Llamas
11-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I guess I can agree with this as I can play Bari Sax quite well but every note that comes out of an alto when I play it sounds squeaky and fucked up.

After playing bass so long, regular guitars in general piss me off. The strings and frets are so close together in comparison and I always forget where my fingers are.

haha that totally happens to me switching between alto and tenor sax and back.

T-6005
11-15-2006, 05:35 PM
The differences in guitar come down to the strings on acoustic being harder to press down.
That's completely untrue - if you're good at either, or even at both, you know that they're played differently. The basic difference is the pressure, yes, but generally different styles are played on acoustic and electric, leading to an entirely different set of (mostly picking hand) skills. Just for a tiny example, you're a lot more likely to slap-mute chords on acoustic than on electric, but the different could be between just barely being able to do it and practicing on how to incorporate it within different strumming rhythms.

Apathy
11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
T-6005: The true Guitar Hero.

On a semi-related note, I really despise that game.

Llamas
11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
That's completely untrue - if you're good at either, or even at both, you know that they're played differently. The basic difference is the pressure, yes, but generally different styles are played on acoustic and electric, leading to an entirely different set of (mostly picking hand) skills. Just for a tiny example, you're a lot more likely to slap-mute chords on acoustic than on electric, but the different could be between just barely being able to do it and practicing on how to incorporate it within different strumming rhythms.

that comes down to the style of music, not the instrument itself. classical guitar is physically nearly identical to acoustic, but the style you play on it is much different, and therefore you use different skills and such when playing it.

T-6005
11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
that comes down to the style of music, not the instrument itself. classical guitar is physically nearly identical to acoustic, but the style you play on it is much different, and therefore you use different skills and such when playing it.
I'm not saying that - however, considering that acoustic and electric guitars have a different way of being played (whether that's due to a rift in style or not), they can't be considered identical instruments. Similar in certain ways, certainly. More alike than most other instruments? Also possible. But either way, the differences between acoustic and electric guitars are due to more than string pressure.

Llamas
11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm not saying that - however, considering that acoustic and electric guitars have a different way of being played (whether that's due to a rift in style or not), they can't be considered identical instruments. Similar in certain ways, certainly. More alike than most other instruments? Also possible. But either way, the differences between acoustic and electric guitars are due to more than string pressure.

Other differences, though, don't lie in ability to play the instrument. They lie in the ability to play the style that is most common to the instrument. If I play electric guitar, and pick up an acoustic guitar and start playing bad religion, physically it's going to be the same besides the string pressure.

T-6005
11-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Other differences, though, don't lie in ability to play the instrument. They lie in the ability to play the style that is most common to the instrument. If I play electric guitar, and pick up an acoustic guitar and start playing bad religion, physically it's going to be the same besides the string pressure.
Of course - however, I'm saying that you can't overlook massive differences because of basic similarities. It's like calling trombone and trumpet mouthpieces the same because you do the same thing.

opivy21
11-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Anybody besides ilovellamas play trombone? Or low brass of any kind?

coke_a_holic
11-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I played trombone about... 7 years ago? I could probably pick it up and be just as disgraceful now as I was as an 8 year old.

Also: I wish I was ilovellamas because I want to play lots of instruments as well, I just don't have the means to picking them up. Luckyyyy :(

Llamas
11-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Of course - however, I'm saying that you can't overlook massive differences because of basic similarities. It's like calling trombone and trumpet mouthpieces the same because you do the same thing.

That's not true at all. Those differences are much more drastic. But anyway. I'm bored of this. :)

Nick Morgan
11-16-2006, 02:33 AM
i play electric/acoustic/bass guitar, cello, trumpet, keyboard and the harmonica its frikin awesome lol:D