PDA

View Full Version : I know, I suck...

Llamas
10-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Some of you might have already heard my versions of "the kids aren't alright" and maybe even "basket case". I'm not good, I have a really bad guitar that doesn't tune, and a shitty computer program plus a shitty microphone... but I sing (and play guitar pretty poorly). I'm really building this up here for you. ;) Anyway, on my MySpace, I have a cover of The Kids Aren't Alright by the offspring, Basket Case by Green Day, Broken Angel by Hanson, and my own song called "Myself". I'd really appreciate people listening and giving feedback. Thanks!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=58022206

Marco
10-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Sing louder...that'll make it much better!:)

Mr. Noodles
10-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I agree with Marco - louder singing would help.
Even though you're not good at guitar, you still have a good voice.

no_way
10-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I didn't know you sang and played guitar! Anyway, I like it. You have potential, you just need more practice. I liked the song you wrote too.

EDIT: I added you as a friend. myspace.com/eugeniaromero it's me :)

Jebus
10-14-2006, 12:30 PM
You have a decent singing voice but it's extremely weak like everyone said.

T-6005
10-14-2006, 12:57 PM
The guitar on Kids Aren't Alright hurts my ears from the start. I can't even listen up to the singing.

Tune the damn thing, for God's sake.

The beginning to Myself sounds alright. The guitar is more faded out, which I like. Your voice sounds better when not cloaked in your guitar. And I really like the harmony - it's really nice. The voices are occasionally slightly out of time with each other, but I still think that the way you did your harmony was really well chosen.

In retrospect, though - there's maybe a little too much of it. I think it's in the second verse that it really comes out. The chorus sounds nice, but the verses have too much. A lot of the dynamic choices that you make with your voice in the choruses are great, although I think they could be more pronounced.

The ending's a little weak, but I couldn't tell you why. One of the voices sounds like it's making things up, I think.

Overall, though - I was very impressed with the vocal harmony in the chorus. Definitely made the song completely worthwhile.

Keep at it, I'd like to hear more like that whether you take my feedback into account or not.

Llamas
10-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Sing louder...that'll make it much better!:)

I don't know how to make it louder without holding the mic too close to my mouth... :-/

I didn't know you sang and played guitar! Anyway, I like it. You have potential, you just need more practice. I liked the song you wrote too.

EDIT: I added you as a friend. myspace.com/eugeniaromero it's me :)

The guitar on Kids Aren't Alright hurts my ears from the start. I can't even listen up to the singing.

Tune the damn thing, for God's sake.

The crappy thing is, the low E on this guitar physically can not be in tune. If I Tune it on the 5th fret, it'll be out of tune open. The reason it sounds alright in "Myself" is because it's power chords, and the E string is never played open... but in TKAA, it's real chords, so the E string is used a lot.

The beginning to Myself sounds alright. The guitar is more faded out, which I like. Your voice sounds better when not cloaked in your guitar. And I really like the harmony - it's really nice. The voices are occasionally slightly out of time with each other, but I still think that the way you did your harmony was really well chosen.

That's good to hear. I know my voice is definitely much better than my guitaring (hey, it's my 8th instrument -give me a little credit ;)), but I guess I never really realized that the guitaring was too strong for how poor it is.

In retrospect, though - there's maybe a little too much of it. I think it's in the second verse that it really comes out. The chorus sounds nice, but the verses have too much. A lot of the dynamic choices that you make with your voice in the choruses are great, although I think they could be more pronounced.

I didn't harmonize at ALL in the verses... I did in the pre-choruses and the chorus. Did you mean the pre-choruses?

The ending's a little weak, but I couldn't tell you why. One of the voices sounds like it's making things up, I think.
No, you're right. I've recorded this song before, but in the past recordings, the intros sucked and the ending was strong... this time, I recorded it while not being able to sleep, and at 6am, I realized I had to head out the door, but wanted to finish it up, haha. So the ending harmonies ARE horrible.

Overall, though - I was very impressed with the vocal harmony in the chorus. Definitely made the song completely worthwhile.

Keep at it, I'd like to hear more like that whether you take my feedback into account or not.

Thanks again. My problem is my attention span... when I record a song, I don't like to redo anything, so I go at it in one bout, even if stuff sucks and I know it. I didn't realize until I was done and listened to it that the vocals were REALLY REALLY quiet. It wasn't that I was singing softly, it was that the microphone was far from my face.

Hopefully I'll get around to re-recording... I've meant to sit down and make really strong careful recordings of all of my own songs and my covers for a LONG time.. it just hasn't happened. :-/

T-6005
10-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I didn't harmonize at ALL in the verses... I did in the pre-choruses and the chorus. Did you mean the pre-choruses?

Must have been the pre-choruses, yeah. Sorry about that.

mrconeman
10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Your voice is definatly good. I enjoyed the singing on basket case most probably.

The crappy thing is, the low E on this guitar physically can not be in tune. If I Tune it on the 5th fret, it'll be out of tune open. The reason it sounds alright in "Myself" is because it's power chords, and the E string is never played open... but in TKAA, it's real chords, so the E string is used a lot.
Well that's odd. It probably has some kind of solution though, I think the guitar might have a problem in the neck or bridge or something.

T-6005
10-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Well that's odd. It probably has some kind of solution though, I think the guitar might have a problem in the neck or bridge or something.

It could be a multi-part neck with the bit under the E string having odd warp or an anomaly or something. I'm not so good with the physical aspects of guitars.

Llamas
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
So, I recorded a couple new songs. I'm not exactly happy with the recording quality of them, but they're my first recordings with an acoustic guitar, and after 7 months of not playing at all. So, I'd love to get some feedback, good or bad. The two new ones are Blue in the Face and Gardenia. Thanks for listening. :) www.myspace.com/llamaoffspring

KyleW
08-29-2007, 02:26 AM
hey, it's my 8th instrument -give me a little credit ;)

woah... 8 instruments! im struggling with 2

Llamas
08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
woah... 8 instruments! im struggling with 2

Yeah, but I started my first instrument 13 years ago. And I was involved with like every music group in my school growing up. Plus I went on to study music for a bit. :)

mrconeman
09-01-2007, 05:31 AM
I think Gardenia is your best so far, guitar and singing wise. No real criticism, just it sounds like you didn't hit a full chord once or twice and missed a string or two, and the rhythm went odd a couple times when the vocal melody changed, but only a little. Good stuff.

DirtyYeso
09-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, but I started my first instrument 13 years ago. And I was involved with like every music group in my school growing up. Plus I went on to study music for a bit. :)

awesome, i also play and i wished i had lessons..

well, i agree with mrconeman that gardenia is your best or at least the one i like the most but you should play the riff in TKAA which isnt hard and with your mixing programm you can coordinate it with the chords

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2007, 06:41 PM
I would say that you need to treat yourself to a new guitar, or at least leave it at your favorite music store for a long-overdue set-up. It's so all over the place with the tuning that it doesn't give you enough to tune the vocals from, and doing harmonies in tune over a hideously out of tune guitar almost nullifies the whole thing. It could be really good otherwise.

Llamas
09-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I assume you're referring to the TKAA/Broken Angel guitar? Yeah, those recordings are a few years old, and were recorded with a really piece of shit electric guitar that doesn't tune. The other two songs were done with an acoustic guitar that (I believe) is in tune.

As far as TKAA goes, I recently re-recorded it with the acoustic. It's much better, but I might redo it again because I'm not really happy with it. But yeah, those two songs with the electric are like 2 or 3 years old.

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Hehe, yeah, forgot about the other songs. woops :)

nevo
09-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I liked I liked :o The other songs were nice too!

Llamas
05-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Hey guys...

I wrote a new song today, and I recorded it. It's a very rough recording, as I'm not used to playing it/singing it yet (my strumming is all messed up a lot, my voice doesn't hit a LOT of the right notes/I obviously improvised the harmony, the balance between voices is not right...). But before I record a more solid copy, I was looking for some feedback. Any suggestions you guys might have. And opinions on the song itself, as it's one of the first songs I've written in over two years.

The song is on my myspace, www.myspace.com/llamaoffspring
The song is called "Leave the Decisions to Me".

I've tried to take into account a lot of the comments people have made in this thread in the past, so hopefully some of those things aren't issues this time.

Thanks!!!

Superdope
05-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I thought I'd post this here, since this thread has been so aptly titled...

Today I made this cover of "Auto Pilot" by Queens of the Stone Age, and I'd love some feedback.

Everything on that track is done by me.

I'm well aware of the quality of the recording, or lack thereof, but this is the best I can do with my current setup. Oh yeah, and I have a sore throat from being ill, but I hope it's not that noticeable.

The file is in Wav if you're interested.

EDIT: Don't know how the hell the file became this big (Maybe I'm subconsciously sabotaging it :P) but here it is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mbih9p

Llamas
05-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Uhh, you do realize I made this thread for my own stuff, right? You should post your stuff in your own thread. :)

Anyway, I re-recorded the song today, so all the vocals are a hell of a lot better. But I reused the guitar track so that I wouldn't mess with the timing. Hopefully I'll re-record that soon, too.

Please guys, gimme some feedbakzzz!!! www.myspace.com/llamaoffspring

Superdope
05-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Sorry about that. saw the title and thought it was a free-for-all.

I really like the Broken Angel song. you're voice is very good on that one. Haven't really heard the others yet, but I'll get around to giving you some feedback on them as soon as I have ;)

randman21
05-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Hmmm, I swear I'd posted feedback a long time ago, like '06. Guess not. A few thoughts:

-Lyrics, plz! (For the originals, anyway)
-Umm, were you ever in choir? You have, like, perfect diction. It's kinda different to hear in pop music, but it's cool.
-I don't like the original "Broken Angel" so I guess that pretty much sets me up to not like the cover.
-I think "Leave the Decisions to Me" is okay, and I like "Gardenia," but please pleeeeease tell me "Blue in the Face" is one of yours! It's wondrous.
-About lyrics, I think I'll mention this because it it's worth saying: Heh, I can't actually hear the words of any of the songs, but the ones I said I like thrive on melody alone. "Leave..." kinda does, but I'd need to get the tone of it through the lyrics.
-Who are your influences?
-How do you record? Guitar + vocals on one track, then harmony, or each on its own? And what program do you use?

So, overall, besides the bad guitar playing (and I can say this without feeling like a jerk because I'm worse, despite playing now for five years;)), I see your music as a great encouragement of where you can still go with it.

Llamas
05-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Hey, thanks a lot!!

-Lyrics, plz! (For the originals, anyway)
The only original is "Leave the Decisions to Me". The rest on there are covers. But I plan on recording and putting up another original in a week or so.

-Umm, were you ever in choir? You have, like, perfect diction. It's kinda different to hear in pop music, but it's cool.
Haha, I was in choir when I was like 8... then I joined band when I was 10. So not really! But I was a music major for a little while and had to take ear training/sight singing classes, so that might be part of it?

-I don't like the original "Broken Angel" so I guess that pretty much sets me up to not like the cover.
-I think "Leave the Decisions to Me" is okay, and I like "Gardenia," but please pleeeeease tell me "Blue in the Face" is one of yours! It's wondrous.
haha... Blue in the Face is by Alkaline Trio. I'm at least glad that the song you dislike isn't my original. :P

-About lyrics, I think I'll mention this because it it's worth saying: Heh, I can't actually hear the words of any of the songs, but the ones I said I like thrive on melody alone. "Leave..." kinda does, but I'd need to get the tone of it through the lyrics.
I'll post the lyrics to the songs in a separate post in a minute.

-Who are your influences?
Well, some of the people I covered are clearly influences ;) The covers there were from Alkaline Trio, Mandy Moore (Gardenia), and Hanson (Broken Angel). I have way, way too many influences to list, though. I couldn't really say.

-How do you record? Guitar + vocals on one track, then harmony, or each on its own? And what program do you use?
With songs that are just one vocal track and guitar, it's all done in one bout. Usually when there's harmony, I do the melody and guitar in one, harmony in a second. In "Leave...", it was a guitar track, and then three or four vocal tracks because of the ending part.

So, overall, besides the bad guitar playing (and I can say this without feeling like a jerk because I'm worse, despite playing now for five years;)), I see your music as a great encouragement of where you can still go with it.
Haha, you're not a jerk, I know it's true. :) Thanks so much for the feedback!!

Is there a chance you could give more specific feedback about "Leave..."? That's really the one I was wondering about, cause I just wrote it yesterday and all. Why did you just kinda like it, what wasn't so good about it? Any improvements I could make?

Llamas
05-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Here are the lyrics to the songs.

Blue in the Face - Alkaline Trio (http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Alkaline-Trio/Blue-In-The-Face.html)

Gardenia - Mandy Moore (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/mandymoore/gardenia.html)

Broken Angel - Hanson (http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Hanson/Broken-Angel.html)

No link to the lyrics to my song... so I'll have to write them out :P

-----------

Away from you, though we've been taught
We dance in secrets no one knows about
How we feel, you disagree
We're not even sure that we agree

I can't explain, why this is
But I refuse to come from that mold
What you know, why is it so?
It doesn't matter, because we're here

It's so much tougher to not be ignorant
Not do what we were told, not believe what they think you should believe
Engagement, then permanence
Why do we need more of such absurdity?

Who are they, to tell us what we need?
You and he, him and not she
Now say I do, may not break these rules
Until you die

She said she did, but knew it false
Ignored those who saw through it all
Lonely heart, weakened pulse
Now she can't break through these ugly walls

Why did they, push her toward this
Couldn't have been lusted in her soul
Is it too late, might she escape
And if she does, will she be okay?

Some people grow up completely ignorant
It feels good but is it really any better?
Still asleep, you may never wake
Now you have to try to just live with it

Please tell me you'll try to decide your own lives
He and he, you and me
This may be, someone else's fate
But until I die, I want to feel free of this weight

I could wait, I could wait on someone else's fate
Leave me alone
I can't wait, I can't wait on someone else's fate
Leave it alone

randman21
05-16-2008, 03:39 AM
No problem:D I love feedbacking (feeding back?) because it gives me ideas on my stuff. The "Your Band" section is probably my favorite.

Thanks for the lyrics. The song goes in a different direction that I thought it did. Cool. I switched sound cards, too, and now I can hear everything well. I can't believe I forgot to say how much I like the end, starting with "I could wait". That's as good as anything in the covers. The rest of it is well-written, but I guess it's more of a taste thing. The only thing that I can say would improve the song would be recording the guitar over. But then, it'd throw the timing off, probably forcing you to record the vocals over again. So if you don't feel like it, don't worry about it. If there's anything else, I'll be around.

Llamas
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm glad the lyrics helped. It's hard to make sure the lyrics are understandable when you've got pretty shoddy recording equipment, haha.

I'm sure I'll redo the guitar part... in time, haha. :)