PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring Radio

78 Water
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't really get the radio thing. Does it just go through a random cycle? Is it the same for everyone?

Stranger With Candy
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
its just random.

no_way
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
It's like when you get from home tired and think "ooh man, I feel like listening to the offspring" and like listening to one album only have driven you sick and you just want to hear random offspring songs. Pretty cool actually.

78 Water
10-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks both of you. Yeah, it actually pretty cool. Infact, I'm listening to it right now!

Out on Patrol! Awesome!

Original prankstA
10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
i really like it too, only problem is they dont have rareities or b-sides, or any live recordings:( but it's still pretty awsome

Living in Chaos
10-29-2006, 02:32 AM
I think that one day that ought to put a song from thier new album on there, as a surprise. Now that would be cool.

darea
10-29-2006, 03:42 AM
I also think its cool, like when you're just surfing on the net, just put the offspring radio on and you can listen to it while your surfing, so cool

forcyn
10-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I like to listen to Offspring Radio when I just feel like listening to Offspring but unfortunatelly it just don't want to work for me since last month :/

F@ BANKZ
11-02-2006, 09:40 AM
its cool because when im on the pc sometimes i dont notice when the offspring go off but i enjoy them while they are playing, it's also really neat for when your playing a game on the pc or something where you wouldn't be able to choose indervidual tracks from the albums, i use it alot

nameless
11-02-2006, 03:03 PM
i think its a really good idea, i dont listen to it as much as i used to but it is still cool!

ZagmenO
11-04-2006, 11:58 AM
I'll sometimes listen to it while I play Nintendo with the TV volume down. (That's right. I'm a Nintendo freak. SUE ME!!!) The only probelm is that they'll have their joke tracks like "Time to relax" or "Intermission" or "When You're in Prison" so I"ll have to get up off my ass and actually skip over those!

Man I'm lazy. :rolleyes:

Emanem
11-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry for asking, and this will probably be labeled as a stupid question, but, ohh well, here it goes:

What are you talking about? What radio? How/where can I hear it?

Okay, so it´s more than a question, but, if anyone could answer them for me I´d apreciate it!

ZagmenO
11-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Sorry for asking, and this will probably be labeled as a stupid question, but, ohh well, here it goes:

What are you talking about? What radio? How/where can I hear it?

Okay, so its more than a question, but, if anyone could answer them for me Id apreciate it!

On the homepage of offspring.com, you'll see a little logo at the top right-hand corner of the computer screen that says "Offspring Radio." Click on that and Windows Media Player or whatever you have that plays stuff for you will play an enormous collection of Offspring songs that are placed in a random order each time! It's really fun for people who don't wanna listen to their CD's as they play those certain songs in the same order each time.

Emanem
11-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow!, Kudos to you dude, thanks a lot.

Offspring radio: ON!

H1T_That
11-05-2006, 05:07 AM
When i want to listen to The Offspring, I put the CD/MP3 on. Fuck the sites radio.

MaF
11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
esp 4 me, it doesn't work!:confused:

Vera
11-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Also a great way for people to listen to Offspring's music without having to pay for it - and if they can't bother downloading or don't know how to download. They can listen to some songs online & then buy a couple of albums etc.

DexterWannabe
11-11-2006, 05:51 AM
but the buffer-time is looong, sometimes it stops in the middle of a song, so i use itunes

AtomMasnyk
11-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I think that one day that ought to put a song from thier new album on there, as a surprise. Now that would be cool.

Thatd be kickass

Grabbal
11-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Its really a great addition to the site

78 Water
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, and I've never seen it before, either! It's really original and great.

Americana_Conspiracy
12-04-2006, 06:05 PM
i love Offspring radio the randomness makes it great....instead of just listening to one album after another you get them all at once

Camel Filters
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I listen to the offspring radio all the time because my windows media player doesn't read any Cd's anymore.

Manic Subsidal Boy
12-04-2006, 10:33 PM
It's great cause you can listen to it out and about when you don't have your collection with you. BTW Who's heard a new Intro type track on Offspring Radio?

So Elastic
12-20-2006, 11:42 PM
I definatley dig it, but one thing is very clear when you listen to Offspring Radio: they need to remaster S/T and Ignition because when you listen to a current song and then go into a song off of those CDs right afterwards and then to a recent one again, well it makes for a lot of volume changing! Lol still an awesome idea, more bands should do it, if they have enough material for it.

adombomb222
12-21-2006, 12:31 AM
ok, I'm pissed, why are [we] opening old threads again?

adombomb222
12-21-2006, 07:39 PM
I didn't do it this time!!!

Yea, good job.

Lodat225
12-21-2006, 07:42 PM
It's not that old, only like 15 days or so.

adombomb222
12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
That did not say "12-4-2006" when I looked at, have I lost my mind?

My bad, I'm sorry, I think.

Lodat225
12-21-2006, 07:52 PM
That did not say "12-4-2006" when I looked at, have I lost my mind?

My bad, I'm sorry, I think.

Oh well, happens to the best of all.

adombomb222
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Ha... you just implied that I was one of the best. That amuses me. I laugh at my own stupidity, and your own. I am nowhere near the best. But thank you, it made me happy.

Lodat225
12-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Whoops, i meant "happens to the best of us".

Which means the same thing.

adombomb222
12-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm still amused and laughing.

Iamstupid
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah the offspring's radio is really cool ! I listen to it often because I can listen a song from Ignition and then a song from Splinter without have to put an other cd in my euh...chaine hifi ? I don't know the english word but my machine for listen to cds :rolleyes:
But there is a problem : some songs are censured like Spare Me The Details or Never Gonna Find Me :(
Fortunetaly Bad Habit is not censured :)

Killboy
01-10-2007, 06:26 PM
The English word is CD player. And yea, what's up with songs from Splinter being censored on their own site but other songs being 100% unedited? That is fucked up.

Yeah, that's been discussed before... but, what the fuck, at least they're not charging us for listening to the songs, so Offspring Radio is a fucking awesome feature of the site, even when some songs are censored.

Agatio
01-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Splinter has more curse words. They are the easiest to hear and pick out. It is the album many young people would listen to on the website, if they had just first heard of the band. Popular albums need to be edited.

Iamstupid
01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
The English word is CD player

Ah yeah right it's that ! I had forgotten :rolleyes: so thanks

Splinter has more curse words. They are the easiest to hear and pick out. It is the album many young people would listen to on the website, if they had just first heard of the band. Popular albums need to be edited.

Young people ? Like how much years old ? 7, 8, 9, 10 ?
At this time in life they already know all the curse words and I'm sure that they know curse words that I've never heard

Killboy
01-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Young people ? Like how much years old ? 7, 8, 9, 10 ?
At this time in life they already know all the curse words and I'm sure that they know curse words that I've never heard

Well yeah... but it's not for them but their parents. They easily complain if they see their kids listening to such a "bad words" you know?

Iamstupid
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah yeah I know...But it's stupid, the parents are too idiots with their kids. They think that they are like angels...if they could just open their eyes...:(
But this is not the subject of this thread :D

Bazza
01-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Also a great way for people to listen to Offspring's music without having to pay for it - and if they can't bother downloading or don't know how to download. They can listen to some songs online & then buy a couple of albums etc.

Yeah, that's been discussed before... but, what the fuck, at least they're not charging us for listening to the songs, so Offspring Radio is a fucking awesome feature of the site, even when some songs are censored.

It's amazing and respectfull that they give people the oppurtunity to listen to them without paying, but surely there must be some sort of copyright infringement? Remember how jumpy their record company got when they were going to release Conspiracy Of One for free on the internet?

neocon58
01-15-2007, 04:33 AM
It's amazing and respectfull that they give people the oppurtunity to listen to them without paying, but surely there must be some sort of copyright infringement? Remember how jumpy their record company got when they were going to release Conspiracy Of One for free on the internet?

Not as many people downloaded (everybody downloads now...) and the offspring were actually still popular from Americana when they wanted to release CO1 on the net. Doubt Columbia give two shits these days.

Iamstupid
01-15-2007, 08:14 AM

I think they don't care if people download their music because I've heard somewhere that Dexter thought that people prefers to have a cd, something real that you can held in your hands while the music in your mp3 that you can't touch.

F@ BANKZ
01-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah that'll be why they were going to release Co1 on the internet.

Killboy
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
I think they don't care if people download their music because I've heard somewhere that Dexter thought that people prefers to have a cd, something real that you can held in your hands while the music in your mp3 that you can't touch.

Yeah that'll be why they were going to release Co1 on the internet.

Exactly... ppfff.... you can burn all your MP3s in a CD and that's it, "palpable music".
What I know Dexter said was that he supported Napster and free internet music. And yeah, if u think about it, the more songs people listen to, the more tickets they'll buy for their concerts, either way they win!

Little_Miss_1565
01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Exactly... ppfff.... you can burn all your MP3s in a CD and that's it, "palpable music".
What I know Dexter said was that he supported Napster and free internet music. And yeah, if u think about it, the more songs people listen to, the more tickets they'll buy for their concerts, either way they win!

And now Dexter runs a very successful label that has launched one major band already. Bottom line is that the digital age has really hurt record sales. Sure, the bands can find other ways to make money, but there are more livelihoods at stake than the band's here.

Killboy
01-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Bottom line is that the digital age has really hurt record sales. Sure, the bands can find other ways to make money, but there are more livelihoods at stake than the band's here.

Well, yeah, but... okay, I don't know too much about music business but I think all records still earn good money. I don't think digital age is that harmful, on the contrary, I think that if one really likes a song, there could be more chances for the record to be bought.

Llamas
01-16-2007, 01:52 AM
I bet the Offspring was okay with having their fans download their own music, because they were more into the idea of having more people hear their music than making more money. They've already got so much, and they know their albums will sell enough for them to live well, anyway.

Now that Dexter has his own label, his perspective on his own music is probably still the same, but I really doubt he feels the same about his own label and any band he signs to it.

I personally have a LOT of music (about 80 gigs), and if I bought every cd I wanted, I'd have to quit school. I buy albums of bands that: aren't on the huge labels (columbia, island, warner bros, arista, jive, epic... etc), and are my favorite artists (which includes a great deal of artists). I download everything else. I have a good 400 legitimate CDs (I say legitimate because I obviously don't count burned CDs), and I really value my CD collection. I will download music of my favorite bands if I can't get my hands on their albums right away, but I will ALWAYS go out and buy them later.

Bazza
01-16-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm just wondering how columbia feel it? Oh well one more album left on columbia (it was a 6 record deal right?), then they can move on to Nitro.

And from the dl music point of view, I received pirate copies of s/t and ignition ages ago, but I liked them so much I actually went out and bought the real cds (I've even gone to the point of getting two s/t, one pre-9/11 and one post-9/11).

Little_Miss_1565
01-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Well, yeah, but... okay, I don't know too much about music business but I think all records still earn good money. I don't think digital age is that harmful, on the contrary, I think that if one really likes a song, there could be more chances for the record to be bought.

You are wrong on all counts. I wish I could explain to you how all record stores are selling around half of what they did pre-Napster/etc., and how every week there's a new batch of them that have shut their doors. How labels post financial losses for years in a row. Seriously, the industry is in trouble right now and it's because of downloading. We can't stop it, so we have to figure out how to improvise.

I'm just wondering how columbia feel it? Oh well one more album left on columbia (it was a 6 record deal right?), then they can move on to Nitro.

And from the dl music point of view, I received pirate copies of s/t and ignition ages ago, but I liked them so much I actually went out and bought the real cds (I've even gone to the point of getting two s/t, one pre-9/11 and one post-9/11).

Columbia are 100% completely and totally dead set against downloading, like all major labels currently hemmorhaging dollars. That's great that you went out to buy the record after downloading, but that is not the case with far too many people. Even when Justin Timberlake's record debuted at #1 (keep your comments to yourselves), his sales for the week had been around 400,000. 6 or 7 years ago, it would have been over 1,000,000. Now tell me that downloading has done nothing. When Johnny Cash's record went #1, it was with sales of around 180,000, the lowest amount of sales for a #1 in the history of Billboard.

Bazza
01-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Columbia are 100% completely and totally dead set against downloading, like all major labels currently hemmorhaging dollars. That's great that you went out to buy the record after downloading, but that is not the case with far too many people. Even when Justin Timberlake's record debuted at #1 (keep your comments to yourselves), his sales for the week had been around 400,000. 6 or 7 years ago, it would have been over 1,000,000. Now tell me that downloading has done nothing. When Johnny Cash's record went #1, it was with sales of around 180,000, the lowest amount of sales for a #1 in the history of Billboard.

I would agree that illegal downloads have affected the number of record sales. However I feel that the industries need to do more to make music available cheaply, be it on itunes or other sites. I'm not too sure about in America, but in the UK download sales now count towards the charts. Also pre-ordering on the internet, even if it was for a download, can increase sales (the UK christmas no.1 sold something like half million pre-order copies). I think the main issue is price, if sales are down by half, why slash prices in half? (logic being twice as many people buy, great in theory I guess). I'm pretty sure I'd be tempted to buy more CDs if they were 5, rather 10/12.

^that may have come out as a load of bullshit, I tend to ramble on a bit... :confused:

Prox
01-16-2007, 04:55 PM
What does a pirate copy mean? What is a bootleg?

Bazza
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
What does a pirate copy mean?
In the southern seas there's a captain black beard who prints his own special copies of CDs, they are extreme rarities.

What is a bootleg?
It's a boot, that's not thigh high, not knee high, not ankle high, but leg high, or as known in the trade as a bootleg.

Prox
01-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I knew someone was going to say something like that...please give me the real answers:(

Bazza
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I knew someone was going to say something like that...please give me the real answers:(

Ok, a pirate copy is a copy of a published CD, ie a straight copy of Splinter for example.

A bootleg tends to be compilation material, not available as an official CD. Yet it could have tracks from various CDs, or live tracks.

Prox
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh thanks. So a pirate is when someone makes copies and sells them?

And a bottleg is when somebody somehow gets a recording or something that hasn't been released and sells it?

Bazza
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh thanks. So a pirate is when someone makes copies and sells them?

And a bottleg is when somebody somehow gets a recording or something that hasn't been released and sells it?

Essentially yes, although pirates don't have to be sold, they can be made available on download sites etc.

Bootlegs are usually sold, yes. But at the same time Bootleg CDs only really appear in a bands early years (and before internet became popualr), as a way of fans sharing the obscure stuff.

Llamas
01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Downloading has hurt the record industry. Personally, the people at the top of the industry need to stop being selfish bastards and pay their employees more instead of trying to stop something they currently can't. Someday they might figure it out, but until then, maybe they could just stop being so greedy. Bah. Stupid corporations. :P Of course it's never gonna happen... but I just don't feel bad that people download. I personally still buy albums because I like the artwork... I don't do it so those rich fuckers can keep making more money...

Iamstupid
01-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Yeah you're right. The problem with record industry is that they're only interested with money, money and money...and money again. It's a pity. Really. It's the reason for which I like the Dex's label, Nitro Records, because Dexter signs with bands who sounds pretty cool and no for have money anymore (hem...I hope :D )

F@ BANKZ
01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
If they wern't so interested in money there may well not be a motive for them to try so hard to get some of the bands that are so great today, still, it does mean the buisness as a whole can have too much image added without any great sound.

Llamas
01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
If they wern't so interested in money there may well not be a motive for them to try so hard to get some of the bands that are so great today, still, it does mean the buisness as a whole can have too much image added without any great sound.

Would be nice if their motivation was getting good music out and trying to spread art, rather than being able to afford their next mercedes. Dontcha think??

Iamstupid
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM

If I understand your post, you're telling that money is their motivation. You're not totally wrong, but for them it's not a motivation, it's an obsession.

Killboy
01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
You are wrong on all counts. I wish I could explain to you how all record stores are selling around half of what they did pre-Napster/etc., and how every week there's a new batch of them that have shut their doors. How labels post financial losses for years in a row. Seriously, the industry is in trouble right now and it's because of downloading. We can't stop it, so we have to figure out how to improvise.

Holy crap you're right!!! :eek:

I wish I wasn't such a downloading-music addict.
Yet I think labels keep being too powerful...

So Elastic
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I really wish the whole Napster thing wouldntve happened. Pretty soon CDs are going to be a thing of the past, just like VHS and record players. Pretty soon we wont even go to the music store to buy CDs we will just have to buy them on iTunes or whatever and a little part of me will die since theres nothing like ripping off the plastic of that newly bought CD and putting it in your CD player and reading the lyrics on the inside for the first time. That was a long sentence, Im gonna stop now!

Killboy
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I really wish the whole Napster thing wouldntve happened. Pretty soon CDs are going to be a thing of the past, just like VHS and record players. Pretty soon we wont even go to the music store to buy CDs we will just have to buy them on iTunes or whatever and a little part of me will die since theres nothing like ripping off the plastic of that newly bought CD and putting it in your CD player and reading the lyrics on the inside for the first time. That was a long sentence, Im gonna stop now!

If that's the sense, then everything is meant to disappear: from libraries to banks and DVDs. Nowadays you can do almost everything from the internet.

I don't really see CDs disappearing coming.

So Elastic
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Have you ever noticed that no one owns a portable CD player anymore? Remember when they were the new "hip" thing? Or maybe cassette tapes? You cant even buy those at Target/Walmart, where 90% of people buy their music now. Its really not that far-fetched to think that CDs will end up in the same place as the aformentioned things. I really dont want it to happen but I think it will.

Bazza
02-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Have you ever noticed that no one owns a portable CD player anymore? Remember when they were the new "hip" thing? Or maybe cassette tapes? You cant even buy those at Target/Walmart, where 90% of people buy their music now. Its really not that far-fetched to think that CDs will end up in the same place as the aformentioned things. I really dont want it to happen but I think it will.

CD's will probably only be released as limited editions alongside MP3 releases, like what currently happens with lps and picture discs! All of the CDs that I've bought I never use, simply because the music is either on my computer or mp3 player, so I guess to me they are becoming a bit obsolete. However I wouldn't like to part with my CDs, as it's now a collection of mine, something to be proud of.

Killboy
02-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Have you ever noticed that no one owns a portable CD player anymore?

*coughs*
I do....

Remember when they were the new "hip" thing? Or maybe cassette tapes? You cant even buy those at Target/Walmart, where 90% of people buy their music now. Its really not that far-fetched to think that CDs will end up in the same place as the aformentioned things. I really dont want it to happen but I think it will.

I don't really know but, I see it this way:
Do u imagine an artist making an entire MP3 album?? that's up to 120-130 songs, that's huge. They also need some agreements with the record labels, so everybody wins... Although I don't know too much, that's just the way I see it.