PDA

View Full Version : Oh great, Lauren's got another issue.

- -Lauren- -
10-28-2006, 11:16 PM
You're probably thinking, "what is it now?"

This time it's not whining about the world, volleyball, or having a problem with itchy legs. It's a bit more physically serious.

...I have a sprained foot/ankle. It hurts like a betch. I walk around looking like I have cerebral palasy because it's the only way I can walk without hurting my foot. And day by day it's getting worse. I haven't gotten a boot or splint yet, which I'm dying for to immobilize my foot so it won't hurt as much when I walk.

I'm always putting ice on it and taking Aleve twice a day, but I wish I had some other ideas. I'm officially out of PE for a week, too. At the end of the quarter. Bad timing.

Any experience with this? The sooner the better.

The story...
I was in a relay race at a birthday party and I had to make up time, for the teammate ahead of me got behind. I jumped off a bouncy castle in bare socks, and shocked my foot tremendously. It was in shock for 5 hours.

Felt better the next few days, until PE. PE made it five times worse, and I didn't have a note to get out of it. I asked my teacher and because I didn't have a note, she wouldn't let me sit out. Ironically, she's also the school trainer who helps out with injuries and is supposed to help. At least she'll know I wasn't lying when I come with an out for one week note from the doctor.

I would end up limping like a little begging poor boy at the end of the day. And I now walk retardedly until my ankle heals up.

I may have possibly semi-torn the ligaments and may even have a few small hairline fractures of the foot. We may go see a radiologist and get an X-ray done, because the pain is so unbearable. My ankle has swelled up and it's sure: it's sprained.

Apathy
10-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Damn.

Normally you're a nice person, but god, just post this on myspace or your livejournal or something.
It's a sprained ankle, asking people what to do is worthless because you're already doing all you can do, and you should know that.

Ice, Painkillers, Doctor Visit. Done.

- -Lauren- -
10-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Damn.

Normally you're a nice person, but god, just post this on myspace or your livejournal or something.
It's a sprained ankle, asking people what to do is worthless because you're already doing all you can do, and you should know that.

Ice, Painkillers, Doctor Visit. Done.

Myspace? Don't have one. Livejournal? Used it once.

I've gotten advice on here before, and I got good answers. So I'm asking again because a sprained ankle is a pretty common occurance and I'm wondering if people have any other remedies that may help.

That's all I was asking and apparently from your response there aren't any. It hurts like hell even in a relaxed state so right about now I'll try anything that sounds logical.

...Do you get me now?

Lizardus
10-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Drugs, lots of it.

Apathy
10-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Myspace? Don't have one. Livejournal? Used it once.

I've gotten advice on here before, and I got good answers. So I'm asking again because a sprained ankle is a pretty common occurance and I'm wondering if people have any other remedies that may help.

That's it.

Yes. It is pretty common.

Very common in fact. That's how I know it is probably insignificant and you're already doing all that you should be doing.
and if you don't use your Livejournal, then you should take it out of your sig.

- -Lauren- -
10-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Livejournal: I was just about to do that anyways.

However it's not insignificant enough to just let go. My ligaments may be partially torn and I may have a couple of small hairline fractures, so it's not just a small stretch. Aleve only helps for an hour, and I can't take more for I'll overdose.

Like I said, I'm hoping to see a radiologist soon and maybe get a boot or splint. In the meantime, anything anyone can suggest (within reason) could be helpful.

Apathy
10-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Where's Ms. Med Student Joy?

Accept the fact that you'll be gimpy for a little while.
Stay off your feet, Elevate & Ice your ankle, and go to the doctor. There is nothing else you can do.

Venom Symbiote
10-29-2006, 12:44 AM
If I were you I'd amputate it, just to piss Apathy off.

Then come back on the boards asking for advice.

'Twould be hilarity for all.

Linda
10-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Go to the doctor and have it x-rayed, you may have a cracked bone in your foot.

Endymion
10-29-2006, 01:58 AM
I'll overdose.

overdoses are overrated.

JohnnyNemesis
10-29-2006, 03:29 AM
If I were you I'd amputate it, just to piss Apathy off.

Then come back on the boards asking for advice.

'Twould be hilarity for all.

I agree/approve of this post.

JoY
10-29-2006, 04:31 AM
* give it rest. moving your ankle is good & will help against the swelling, like for instance drawing the alphabet with your foot in the air, but avoid pressure from for instance walking on it.
* hold it high, higher than the rest of your leg. put a pillow under it, or whatever. for the nights you can also put a pillow under your matrass on the side where you lay your feet.
* treat it with ice regularly, especially when you sense it's swelling up. about 10 minutes should be enough. after that, the ice has gotten too warm anyway. it's much better to use ice frequently, than to put on ice for a long time every once in a while. also, don't directly put the ice on your ankle, but wrap it in a towel first.
* use painkillers only if you feel you really need them, or else you might put too much pressure on it without noticing.

& if these things don't work & your entire ankle/leg/foot feels dysfunctional, visit a doctor. since you were able to walk on it before (in whatever way) & do stuff with it, it seems unlikely to me you fractured something. on an x-ray you don't see ligaments, so if you're going to get an x-ray for that, I can tell you it's useless. all you're going to see on an x-ray are bones. (unless we're talking angiography, but that's out of the question) most probably you're experiencing pain & stiffness from the swelling & that can be treated the way I just described.

one more thing; if it swells up like a motherfucker, you feel you can't move it at all, your ankle feels warm & you can feel blood pumping, buy some Voltaren. it's a creamy form of Diclofenac & it locally helps reducing the swelling & inflammation reaction.

Linda
10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
You can walk around with a hairline fracture in your foot. A couple years ago, I tripped over some grocery bags, and afterwards my foot hurt like a bitch. I walked around on it for about 2 weeks before I finally went to the doctor. It was x-rayed and there was a hairline fracture behind my big toe.
Lucky for me, it was a clean fracture and stayed together fine to heal, but it still hurt like hell. The bones in your feet are very easily fractured. If it doesn't get better, you really should go to the doctor and have it x-rayed, just to be sure and for your own peace of mind. You're gonna need your feet for a very long time yet! ;)