PDA

View Full Version : Cracking joints

Duskygrin
10-29-2006, 01:55 AM
. .

mrconeman
10-29-2006, 11:25 AM
I crack my back and thumbs all the time, I was always of the beleif that it was just gas bubbles escaping from joints or bursting that made the noise ..or something.

Well yeah, I've been doing it in my thumbs since my childhood and occasionally in my fingers these days, and I have skeleton hands, I heavily doubt it will bloat the fingers/thumbs.

I do it in my back when I've been sitting awkwardly for awhile, it feels and sounds very satisfying.

Yatesy
10-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I crack my fingers/thumbs/knuckles quite a lot and I rarely realize I'm doing it till someone points it out to me. I don't intentionally crack any other part of my body but every so often I'll move my knee or elbow and it'll just click it self so I'm not sure if it's good or bad, the fact some parts of my body clicking regularly without intending to gives me the impression it isn't bad though.

Preocupado
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I didn't know about the bubbles's cracking, that's a new concept to me. I can explain the snaps, though:

The noise comes out of the impact of the middle finger with the base of the thumb, and it is accented by the acoustic area between the palm of the hand and the bent toes.

Fantastic.

Preocupado
10-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Press the tip of the middle finger strongly against the tip of the thumb, then slide it to the side a bit and let it hit the palm. It's not as hard as whisteling!

edit: "but why can't I snap them then?"

Because you're not doing it right.

Llamas
10-29-2006, 01:12 PM
I snap my neck now and then. I used to snap my knees and fingers, but it grossed me out a lot because I've always known what was happening, so I stopped when I was like 13.

I used to be able to whistle, and then I got braces. When I got them off, I didn't know how to. To this day, I can't whistle anymore. :(

Venom Symbiote
10-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Exact same thing happened to me, Llamas. Braces taken off at 14, fuck. Can't whistle anymore.

That orthodontist was a meddling bitch.

bobinator
10-29-2006, 09:16 PM
i have braces and i have always been able to whistle

coke_a_holic
10-29-2006, 09:53 PM
I can crack my knuckles until they hurt, particularly the lowest one that seperates the fingertip. It's particularly disgusting for everyone, but unbelievably fun for me.

Preocupado
10-30-2006, 03:02 AM
Stick to the lie, it works and it's more cute.

T-6005
10-30-2006, 08:08 AM
I can't whistle.

I crack my knuckles loads of times each day, particularly when I'm about to sit down and play guitar - without it, my fingers feel clumsier.

But I have very thin fingers too.

JoY
10-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I have chubby fingers. I only deliberately crack fingerjoints, when they appear to be stuck somewhat when playing the piano. playing the violin they barely ever get stuck, except when I'm playing something that's very fast/with difficult fingerpositions.

it's kind of overfocuss, only in those situations, when I do something with my fingers I don't automatically do, something that's difficult to me, because I haven't done it too many times before (& another factor is stress), then they get stuck. & either cracking my joints, or drinking wine helps.

I hate the sound, though. I hatehatehate it. with every fucking bone AND joint in my body. plus I think it's an extremely bad habit.

Edit: I don't know how whistling sneaked into the conversation, but I can whistle. with my tongue+teeth & the normal way with my lips.