PDA

View Full Version : Take it like a man

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 08:09 PM
My questions:

"All your bows won‘t make it any better"
1) is bow similar to effort, I mean in the context?

"You need us to get a life"
2) Does it mean that the person depends on someone else to achieve his goals?

"So you‘d best go along"
3) Is it something like "You'd better go along"?

"Your life‘s a throw"
4) Didn't get much this sentence. Does throw here mean "chance" or "waste of time"?

I got this extract below from songmeanings.net. Do you agree with it???

"Everyone knows you've got to fit into the mainstream so save your woes"

This line explains it all... It's about how in order to get ahead you have to be like everyone else and do what the media says

randman21
10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Errr, I don't know this song well, so I don't get the context of numbers 1,2, and 4. You've got three correct, though.

And, about the quote from songmeanings.net, I don't think the person believes that, and I surely don't think the Offspring believes that (I know I don't). I think I know exactly what it means, but I just can't say it the way I want to.

EDIT: It's like "this is how it is, but not how it should be."

I don't know why, but I love the threads like these.;)

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 08:48 PM
I think I know exactly what it means, but I just can't say it the way I want to.

Please, let me know.

I don't know why, but I love the threads like these.;)

I hope it's not sarcasm.;)

randman21
10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
I hope it's not sarcasm.;)
Oh, it's 4 r34lz.:cool:

JohnnyNemesis
10-31-2006, 08:59 PM
"All your bows won‘t make it any better"

I think this refers to the bows and gifts you give to the deceased at funerals.

As far as the rest of the song, I'm not entirely sure.

Short_Attention_Span
10-31-2006, 09:05 PM
1. Um... I'm not quite sure. Here's what I think: if you're bowing, you're kind of submitting to someone. So, despite how often he conforms to the wills of others in order to get ahead in his life, it's really not going to get any better because of his conformity.

2. Pretty much. He needs other people to tell him what his life would be like--be it family, friends, or just society in general dictating what exactly it is he should do.

3. Yup. Conform, conform, conform.

4. Urm... I'm not all too sure either. I'm trying to link it with the previous line, "... it's like playing with fire..." and failing miserably. I probably shouldn't do that... but, anyway, for the most part, your interpretation of it sounds about right, as in something that you can throw away or extinguish easily.

And to the post somewhere above me, no duh the Offspring don't mean that. It's sarcastic.
________
HERBAL STORE (http://herbalhealthshop.com)

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 09:15 PM
EDIT: It's like "this is how it is, but not how it should be."

:confused:

I think this refers to the bows and gifts you give to the deceased at funerals.

I got it, but (in the song) maybe it means that it doesn't matter what you do, you situation won't change?

Short_Attention_Span

Thank you.

Also Rick and randman.

randman21
10-31-2006, 09:17 PM
1. Um... I'm not quite sure. Here's what I think: if you're bowing, you're kind of submitting to someone. So, despite how often he conforms to the wills of others in order to get ahead in his life, it's really not going to get any better because of his conformity.

2. Pretty much. He needs other people to tell him what his life would be like--be it family, friends, or just society in general dictating what exactly it is he should do.

3. Yup. Conform, conform, conform.

4. Urm... I'm not all too sure either. I'm trying to link it with the previous line, "... it's like playing with fire..." and failing miserably. I probably shouldn't do that... but, anyway, for the most part, your interpretation of it sounds about right, as in something that you can throw away or extinguish easily.

And to the post somewhere above me, no duh the Offspring don't mean that. It's sarcastic.

I'll let the EDIT speak for itself on that one.

About #1, the "bow" thing, I thought about what you said, too, but the word is bow, which rhymes with "go", not the bow that sounds like "how".

And #4, I think you were right. It has to tie in with the previous line, or else it's just a random, non-sensical phrase.

randman21
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
:confused:

Meaning, like, he's saying that in the world, you have to conform to a certain standard of behavior or whatever. The world is that way, but it shouldn't be.

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
And #4, I think you were right. It has to tie in with the previous line, or else it's just a random, non-sensical phrase.

I do that too, otherwise my translations would be terrible and totally nonsense.

the "bow" thing, I thought about what you said, too, but the word is bow, which rhymes with "go"

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't pay attetion to that. So the "bow" we're talking about means Bend or curve, right? Therefore, "All your bows won't make it any better" probably means that (again) it doesn't matter what you do, nothing will change. Right?

Short_Attention_Span
10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Whoops! Sorry. I didn't see that. *looks at the floor in shame*

Ohh... okay, I see it now. Just a situation that you can't change.

The only thing I can think of, is something like throwing away a match after you ignite it, or a bomb after it's lit. I'm probably missing something though.
________
LovelyWendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

randman21
10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Hehe, nope. The bow we're talking about is like the one JN said, like what would go on a wrapped gift.

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Hehe, nope. The bow we're talking about is like the one JN said, like what would go on a wrapped gift.

I see..:o

Does it change the meaning of the sentence anyway?

randman21
10-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Now that I read it, I take it to mean "when someone's life is wasted, all of the bows won't bring him back, so just let it go to waste."

Kinda like "...black roses and hail marys can't bring back what's taken from me."

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Now that I read it, I take it to mean "when someone's life is wasted, all of the bows won't bring him back, so just let it go to waste."

Kinda like "...black roses and hail marys can't bring back what's taken from me."

:)

Much clearer now.

randman21
10-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Good! Now, we just need to figure out about the throw thing. I've never heard it said like that before. I think SAS was closest to the right answer.

Did you understand that part that says "don't let on if you can't find your way"?

Camilamazed
10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Good! Now, we just need to figure out about the throw thing. I've never heard it said like that before. I think SAS was closest to the right answer.

Did you understand that part that says "don't let on if you can't find your way"?

( )"Don't pretend you're on the right way"
( )"Don't pretend you know what you're doing"
( )"Don't let them know you can't find your way"
( )None of the answer above.

randman21
10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
( )"Don't pretend you're on the right way"
( )"Don't pretend you know what you're doing"
(X)"Don't let them know you can't find your way"
( )None of the answer above.

At first, I thought it was the second one, but before this, he says "Make believe while you can." So it's like pretend that you can find your way, even when you can't.

randman21
10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Okay, think about this while I nap: When an inexperienced person plays with a match/fire, and it gets too close to his hands, he...throws it out. Maybe he's saying your life is like the match being thrown out.:confused:

Superdope
10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
You guys are on track with some of these things, but this is what i get out of it.

the song is meant to be like the "corporate suits" or "mainstream" whatever you want to call it is talking to this guy who dont want to be part of the norm.

shut up and take it like a man you need us to get a life

that sentence kind of sums that up, for me anyway. also

close your eyes look away now make believe while you can

the singing person is persistant, that you need to fit in, in order to have a life.
try listening to the song with these things in mind.
what do you guys think?

randman21
11-01-2006, 05:19 AM
Hmmm, sounds like you could be onto something. Luckily for Camila, though, it won't change the translation of the song, but it does make it much cooler.

Camilamazed
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Okay, think about this while I nap: When an inexperienced person plays with a match/fire, and it gets too close to his hands, he...throws it out. Maybe he's saying your life is like the match being thrown out.:confused:

I got it better now.

the song is meant to be like the "corporate suits" or "mainstream" whatever you want to call it is talking to this guy who dont want to be part of the norm.

shut up and take it like a man you need us to get a life

that sentence kind of sums that up, for me anyway. also

close your eyes look away now make believe while you can

the singing person is persistant, that you need to fit in, in order to have a life.
try listening to the song with these things in mind.
what do you guys think?

That's what I think of the song. The person is dealing with situations that he has to go through to get what he wants but at the same time he doesn't want to change some other things about him.

Hmmm, sounds like you could be onto something. Luckily for Camila, though, it won't change the translation of the song, but it does make it much cooler.

It is indeed understood now.

Thank you guys.

Camilamazed
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Forgot to mention this part:

"For your own good we‘ll take you by the hand
‘Cause you need a little more"

More what???

Randman, anyone?

Sinister
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
more help, as far as I know.