PDA

View Full Version : What do you lot think of Americana?

F@ BANKZ
11-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I've heard afew of wannabe Offspring fans around town recently talking about how crap Americana was next to Splinter and Smash because of all the childish songs in it, i assumed they were talking mainly about Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ. All the same there are people who think it's really good when they listen to Have You Ever, TKAA and Pay The Man etc... And those who it just doesn't work for.

I was just wondering what you lot thought of it because personally i think it was their damn best album but i know it's far from their most popular, was it the singles from it that let it down was the whole album after all basically just crap?

Hypodermic_89
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
The CD is not one of my favorites, but it does have one of my favorite songs.

Have You Ever.

Gayman
11-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Ddon't listen to the kids. I don't care what people say about them, I listen to them cause in my opinion they are the best band in the world. i don't care about the haters and the "popsong-lovers".

K1llboy Powerhead
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Well, it's not my favourite Offspring album either, but I really don't hate it. I mean, it has songs like The Kids Are Allright (one of my all time favourites) and End of the Line, so how could anyone truely HATE it, I wonder.

And I also kinda like Pretty Fly, so that's not really the problem. The big problem for me is that I find Why Don't You Get A Job (which was a pretty big hit, here in the Netherlands) is kinda an awful song, probably one of the worst songs The Offspring made so far.

But Americana is defintaly not a bad album, if you ask me.

F@ BANKZ
11-01-2006, 02:27 PM
The Kids Arn't Alright is actually my faveourite song too, it kinda gives a different edge to the elbum as a whole. And yeah kids are kinda gay, with the ovbious exception of me.

rlplaymaker
11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I've heard afew of wannabe Offspring fans around town recently talking about how crap Americana was next to Splinter and Smash because of all the childish songs in it, i assumed they were talking mainly about Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ. All the same there are people who think it's really good when they listen to Have You Ever, TKAA and Pay The Man etc... And those who it just doesn't work for.

I was just wondering what you lot thought of it because personally i think it was their damn best album but i know it's far from their most popular, was it the singles from it that let it down was the whole album after all basically just crap?

dude, my generation( 18 years old), when they think of the offspring, they think of americana. Its VERY popular! now i know smash was huge, but i would argue that americana might be the most popular

leibstandarte109
11-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I can't even bring myself to come close to disliking Americana. Sure, there was PFFAWG and WDYGAJ, but against that you had songs like Have You Ever, TKAA, Americana, and Pay The Man.

JohnnyNemesis
11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Americana is easily my least favorite Offspring album. I always talk about how some of the best songs I've ever heard on there, but the bad songs on Americana are just so much worse than the bad songs on other albums.

Since Smash, I had been in the habit of buying Offspring CDs on their release date. I remember buying Americana and being blown away by the first few songs, but from Pretty Fly to Walla Walla either fucking sucked or was totally lackluster.

HeadAroundU
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm sorry Rickito! The best offspring album. Amen.

Venom Symbiote
11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Agreeing with Johnny Nemesis here. Woah. Trippy.

I mean, I can't hate Americana: it has "Have You Ever?", "Staring At The Sun", "The Kids Aren't Alright", "The End Of The Line", "No Brakes", and "Pay The Man". A lot of people would add the title track "Americana" to that list of the awesome songs, but personally I think it's pretty much a ballsack of a track. Don't like it much.

The above tracks are 'tha fuckin' shiznit' as the cool kids would say. It's just...the others...oh Lord Mighty of Venereal Diseases the others...eugh...ugh. Kablaah.

They make me wish for death.

Conspiracy of One is a better album than Americana. Despite the best songs on Americana being better than the best songs on Conspiracy, Conspiracy was an album of pretty decent material, Americana was barely an album at all...since it was so hit-and-miss. Ignition, Smash, and Ixnay are of course better albums than Americana. Self-Titled may have been immature and a direct T.S.O.L. rip-off, but I still like its juvenile pissed-off qualities and rad guitar wailing better than Americana.

In short, Americana licks puppy-dog rectum. Despite its few gems, it bites the big one. Your friends are right.

Floyd the Barber
11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I like Americana a lot, with a few exceptions. "She's Got Issues" is annoying, so is "Why Don't You Get a Job" but I like it better. And I never really cared for "No Brakes". Everything else I like.

zacsta
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
well for me it is my least favourite album, the only decent songs on there i think are the kids arent alright, americana, staring at the sun and maybe the end of the line.

darea
11-02-2006, 04:26 AM
I like americana, the songs that I like on this album are Have you ever (already it starts with a great song), walla walla, the kids arent alright, the end of the line, americana, pay the man, my least favourite songs are she got issues, why dont you get a job and feelings. But I wouldnt say it was a bad album and none of the songs are shit.

I first new the offspring when I was 8 and smash had just come out and it was like the best band ever, smash just like made my childhood feel really kool because they were just awesome and I could just listen to it really loud cause my big sister and my parents found it cool too. anyway americana is definately not the best album the best is and will always be smash, whenever i ASK anyone if they know the offspring they say "yeah, the smash album" that how the offspring really became a big band and smash is like a legendary album, one of the best albums in the world, I guess

Killboy
11-02-2006, 05:05 AM
the only song I barely stand is Pretty Fly... other songs are just great, specially Have you ever, Kids aren't alright, Feelings, The end of the line, Americana and Pay the man.

It's true that this album is their popiest one, but it's also an excellent one... If others don't like it just don't listen to it!

randman21
11-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Ahh, It's my favorite album, but I possess enough reason to know that it's probably not their best. It has my favorite song, "Pay the Man," plus some other real goodies, like "Feelings" and "Have You Ever"/"Staring at the Sun" (I often consider them as one song). I must admit that Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ are the songs that showed me the Offspring, and I still love them both.

Venom Symbiote
11-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Ixnay urinates all over it, as far as maturity goes. It just kind of bothers me they hit their peak, then went backwards into more and more juvenile stuff again. I mean, they were early 40's writing a reggae song about hangovers, and an acoustic little ditty about your girlfriend spreading her legs to anyone and everyone.

I mean...yeah, what were they with Ixnay? About 29? Americana had a lot of serious themes too, but only about half the album.

Jojan
11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
It's a great political album that takes a shit on your head.

Venom Symbiote
11-02-2006, 09:54 PM
It's a great political album that takes a shit on your head.

You're a diseased decomposing testicle.

JohnnyNemesis
11-03-2006, 12:06 AM
I mean, they were early 40's writing a reggae song about hangovers, and an acoustic little ditty about your girlfriend spreading her legs to anyone and everyone.

Agreed. Still, at least "Hit That" was very well done. They used humor to discuss an issue without degenerating into a bunch of immature blink-182 clones.

Venom Symbiote
11-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Oh, for sure. I'm actually a staunch defender of "Hit That", it's just a fucking good song. Structure, catchy hook, clever lyrics, the whole package.

"Worst Hangover Ever", "Spare Me The Details", "Want You Bad", "Walla Walla" though?

Fuck dat shit, niiggaaaah.

JohnnyNemesis
11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
"Worst Hangover Ever", "Spare Me The Details", "Want You Bad", "Walla Walla" though?

Fuck dat shit, niiggaaaah.

Yet again, I'm with you on those!

offspring dude
11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I think Americana is an exellent album, i cant say its my favourite because i change my favourite things with time. I think that the fact that the music in the album flows so smoothly (until it gets to WDUGAY) makes it perfect, i like the energy it has, and its style.
Order of favourite songs:

1.Have you Ever. 2.TKAA. 3.Pay The Man. 4.Americana 5.Staring at the sun 6.The End Of The Line 7.Pretty Fly. 8.No Brakes 9.Walla Walla 10.She's got issues 11.Feelings 12.WDUGAJ

I use to hate feelings but it eventually grew on me. ive always disliked WDUGAJ

RageAndLov
11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Americana is on my top-three list of Offspring-albums..
Its really good, has great songs except She's Got Issue (I dont realize how that song became a single) Plus it got Offsprings biggest single ever: Pretty Fly. This song was the single who made offspring really huge, atleast in europe.
My fav song from " welcome to ameri-cana" is maybe TKAA or feeling or pay the man..

F@ BANKZ
11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Ixnay urinates all over it, as far as maturity goes. It just kind of bothers me they hit their peak, then went backwards into more and more juvenile stuff again. I mean, they were early 40's writing a reggae song about hangovers, and an acoustic little ditty about your girlfriend spreading her legs to anyone and everyone.

I mean...yeah, what were they with Ixnay? About 29? Americana had a lot of serious themes too, but only about half the album.

I'm not trying to spike your opinion or anything but don't think Ixnay was as mature as Smash, i mean if you like a young group with matureity then the Smash era was probably more for you, then again i do know Smash wasn't as popular as Ixnay amongst fans. All i'm saying is i wouldn't idolise Ixnay over the other albums too much

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
11-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Americana is my least favorite album, but that doesn't mean it sucks. It's not bad at all.

Pena
11-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Americana is one of my favorites albuns.

Same being a popular album I like it very much. Who listened Offspring at Americana in the first time, maybe wanted to know the others albuns.

I started at Smash but could be at Americana and no problem.

Tigger Army
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
For offspring standards it's a disappointment with a few nice highlights. For a LOT of other bands it would be a brilliant album really

Emanem
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Dude, when I first heard Americana, I just thought:

YOWZAA!!!

But then again, that was the first time I heard offspring, ever.

Now, and with a little help, I find out that americana is one of the most suckiest offspring albuns..., though it still has some pretty cool sounds, like the kids arent alright, americana, and the end of the line.

It´s still a reallly good album to me, but it just gets rammed by Splinter.

PS: Hiya guys!, sorry for knowing little more than nothing 'bout offspring, don't worry though, I'm tryin'.

Pena
11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
My daughter love's Americana very much. Mainly Have You Ever.

She has four years old!:D

Venom Symbiote
11-03-2006, 06:27 PM
All i'm saying is i wouldn't idolise Ixnay over the other albums too much

Why? It's their most critically-acclaimed album to date, it's still the most experimental with genres (Splinter my ass), it has the best production, all the songs have balls, it displays Dexter's best lyricism and songwriting skills...the list goes on.

I'd pretty much say it's to be idolised, wouldn't you chief?

Ninty Man
11-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Well... I really like it... quit She's Got Issues and you have a fucking good album

Jeff316
11-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Whoever thinks americana is crap isn't an offspring fan. Americana is one of there best.In fact The Offspring has never released a crappy cd.They all kick ass.

Ha Ha crap what a shitty word

Venom Symbiote
11-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Huzzah for objectivity!

Like, seriously, I'm going to kick you in the face then piss down your nostrils. That's how retarded thy be.

German Andres
11-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, Americana isn`t the best album, but it has a lot of awesome songs (staring at the sun, have you ever, pay the man, the kids...). However, there are also bad and boring songs (WDYGAJ, walla walla, pretty fly and others). But is is the most popular Offspring album for some reason...

Pena
11-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Well, Americana isn`t the best album, but it has a lot of awesome songs (staring at the sun, have you ever, pay the man, the kids...). However, there are also bad and boring songs (WDYGAJ, walla walla, pretty fly and others). But is is the most popular Offspring album for some reason...

It has the unique song of the Offspring that I don't like...Feelings. I know that a sarcastic cover but I don't like thus same.

Forza
11-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Americana is probably my favourite album ever. The only Offspring album I could listen constantly for a month long, despite the songs Pretty Fly and Why Don't You Get A Job, which quite frankly sucked both my balls. (Pretty Fly my left and WDYGAJ my right.)

Venom Symbiote
11-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Le sigh.

You couldn't listen to Americana for a month straight. Its fucked-uppery would force you to devolve into some kind of gypsy-monkey peddling wares on the sidewalk. And juggling water-filled condoms.

And stuff.

nameless
11-04-2006, 09:24 PM
it was only really pretty fly and shes got issues that i didnt think were that good, the rest of the album was amazing! on each of the last 2 albums i think half the songs are really good and the other half, although arent bad, i just dont really listen to much!

Venom Symbiote
11-05-2006, 12:35 AM
it was only really pretty fly and shes got issues that i didnt think were that good, the rest of the album was amazing!

Wrong. Now shoo.

F@ BANKZ
11-05-2006, 05:51 AM
I quite liked Pretty Fly and She's Got Issues myself, it wasn't bad it was just the band wern't trying too hard to sound like their older work

Jakebert
11-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Conspiracy of One is a better album than Americana. Despite the best songs on Americana being better than the best songs on Conspiracy, Conspiracy was an album of pretty decent material, Americana was barely an album at all...since it was so hit-and-miss. Ignition, Smash, and Ixnay are of course better albums than Americana. Self-Titled may have been immature and a direct T.S.O.L. rip-off, but I still like its juvenile pissed-off qualities and rad guitar wailing better than Americana.

I disagree and agree with your first point at the same time. I agree that Americana is less of an album than CO1, since it sounds like just a hodge-podge of material, but I still think CO1 is worse, which I won't get into why since this isn't a CO1 thread.

Americana is astonishing in the fact that it has some of their best songs, and some of their worst all on the same album. Normally a band has all of their best material on an album, and then the next stuff is mediocore to good, like the stuff on Smash.

The other thing I've noticed lately is that Splinter seems like Americana's little brother. They both have the same problem of being incredibly inconsistant.

Venom Symbiote
11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah, points taken. You definitely have a good angle there.

Agreed with Splinter. It is kind of similar to Americana, I've never really thought about it in that respect. I like Conspiracy more than Splinter, but I like "The Noose", "Never Gonna Find Me", and "Lightning Rod" individually more than any of the songs on Conspiracy. Just the same as I like "Have You Ever", "Staring At The Sun", "The Kids Aren't Alright", "The End Of The Line", "No Brakes", and "Pay The Man" more than anything Co1 can offer. Splinter's best is better than Conspiracy's best. But Conspiracy is more even, more "whole". The enjoyment is spread out, every song has at least a little to offer (maybe "Want You Bad" excepted), I don't ever find myself skipping through tracks. With Americana and Splinter I maybe listen to 3 or 4 songs at a time. Usually not even next to each other on the album, rather at the start and beginning.

Yeah, that's cool about disliking Conspiracy. A lot of people seem to. I don't really understand why (I mean, hell, personally I don't really like Smash too much, but Conspiracy I'd give maybe 7 or 8 out of 10, so I guess people differ greatly), but it's a common point of view.

Dr Appetite
11-05-2006, 06:52 PM
If It didn't have Why Don't You Get A Job I think It would be a whole lot better. I personally don't believe that they wrote that song. I believe it was a masked man from New Jersey who wrote it for them. He used their popularity to make a hit. Which in my opinion, which isn't very great in this huge, huge world is not ok.

Rockon3000
11-05-2006, 08:12 PM

I reckon its a cool album

bouncingcoles
11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
i think splinter has way more crap songs then americana. the only shameful songs on americana are pretty fly and why dont you get a job

Ninty Man
11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
i think splinter has way more crap songs then americana. the only shameful songs on americana are pretty fly and why dont you get a job

DOn't be a fool, Pretty Fly it's a good song... just overplayed. And face it: MOST OF FANS (LIKE ME) WENT OFFSPRING FANS FOR THIS SONG XD
She's got Issues it's a bad song

Venom Symbiote
11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
MOST OF FANS (LIKE ME) WENT OFFSPRING FANS FOR THIS SONG

Zomgz, wrongz. Omg.

The Noose
11-06-2006, 10:06 AM
I think Americana is a great CD, but it certainly isn't their best. I think it's towards the bottom of the totem poll on my list but it has some great songs on it. I especially love Staring at the Sun and Pay the Man, but most of all, Americana. It has the rebellious, action packed thrill that Staring at the Sun had.

As many people would disagree with me, not pointing fingers here or anything, it was one of their more mediocre albums.

:eek:

F@ BANKZ
11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Zomgz, wrongz. Omg.

Eh, i dunno, i probably be posting on The Elvis Forums right now if it wern't for pretty fly. I can see why people dont like WDYGEJ but i don't see so much why everyone has to dislike Pretty Fly so much, if it wasn't for that song Americana could have flopped and i don't think many fans would be here.

Venom Symbiote
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM
La la laaaah, "Pretty Fly" wasn't what made them famous, tra la lality laaah.

They got big four years before that, zomgwtfloltehbbq.

JohnnyNemesis
11-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Come Out and Play and Self Esteem had a MUCH bigger impact on the band's success than Pretty Fly. TRUST me. I'm not just saying that because those are what got me into the group when they came out; the Offspring-mania was just so intense back in '94. I was part of it.

The thing is, I'm convinced I'm one of VERY few people who got into the band with those songs that still likes them. Most people probably heard "Why Don't You Get a Job?" or "She's Got Issues" and probably went "CRAP ON DEES LET'S GO LISTEN TO FUGAZI LOLZ (we r white ppl)"

Etc.

F@ BANKZ
11-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Come Out and Play and Self Esteem had a MUCH bigger impact on the band's success than Pretty Fly. TRUST me. I'm not just saying that because those are what got me into the group when they came out; the Offspring-mania was just so intense back in '94. I was part of it.

The thing is, I'm convinced I'm one of VERY few people who got into the band with those songs that still likes them. Most people probably heard "Why Don't You Get a Job?" or "She's Got Issues" and probably went "CRAP ON DEES LET'S GO LISTEN TO FUGAZI LOLZ (we r white ppl)"

Etc.

Yup, the discription of those white guys suits me perfectly lol, i just started listening to them because my borther used to play Americana waaay back in '98 (omg i must've been 6, so i can now say i got into the Offspring from the age of 6, awww cool, oh right i was writeing something) and i seemed to remember it being like the only music of his i liked so i asked if he still had the casette like 14 months ago and when TKAA came on that was me. So i guess you do owe alot to Pretty Fly and Americana otherwise these forums wouldn't have the honor and *cough* privilage of having me here

Dr Appetite
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
How are there "wanna be" Offspring fans? People like what they like and are entitled to an opinion.

muddymascot
11-08-2006, 10:24 AM
americana is great
and there's the song americana, which has one of their best song-intros

Ninty Man
11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
americana is great
and there's the song americana, which has one of their best song-intros

And really easy to play XD

Venom Symbiote
11-09-2006, 01:39 AM

Finally someone with some sanity.

Llamas
11-10-2006, 01:50 PM

Etc.

the offspring mania in 94 was intense in a much stronger way. in 99 with pretty fly, it was a bunch of frat kids and nerdy girls (like me lol) dancing along cause it was a sweet tune. Most people who fell for pretty fly did not buy americana. in 94, the people who loved come out and play and self esteem were much different. it wasn't just the catchy pop gem of the summer... they were like anthems (especially self esteem). people who loved those songs went out and bought smash. really, those two songs made the offspring famous, and then pretty fly/get a job reestablished their fame 5 years later.

F@ BANKZ
11-12-2006, 03:12 PM
the offspring mania in 94 was intense in a much stronger way. in 99 with pretty fly, it was a bunch of frat kids and nerdy girls (like me lol) dancing along cause it was a sweet tune. Most people who fell for pretty fly did not buy americana. in 94, the people who loved come out and play and self esteem were much different. it wasn't just the catchy pop gem of the summer... they were like anthems (especially self esteem). people who loved those songs went out and bought smash. really, those two songs made the offspring famous, and then pretty fly/get a job reestablished their fame 5 years later.

I aint saying it was as big because it wasn't i'm just saying it was a damn useful asset that will be remembered by loads of people that heard it at it's release, then again, i was 6 or so when it came out so i guess it can't bring new fans in for too much longer before it becomes dated and spent.

powow
11-12-2006, 03:23 PM
i thought at the time it was a good record, not listened to it in a while now though, but i do have 2 white label 12" remixes of pretty fly i`m thinking of ebaying soon, these i was given by a rep who was in the shop that day i bought the album.

the remixes are crap mind you

Grabbal
11-28-2006, 03:30 AM
I still listen to a lot a Americana's song even if it's not my favourite album..

Swill
11-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Americana was my first flirtation with the band and still holds up as one of their best in my head........................have you ever, the kids, americana, pay the man all killer songs.............
________
Streaming Xxx (http://www.fucktube.com/)

ZagmenO
11-28-2006, 08:55 AM
I own every Offspring album, (including Club Me,) and the reason people hate the later ones is because of the so-called "childish" songs. I think the songs on those albums are funny. Maybe the reason people don't like those songs because it's a big contrast from what they used to sound like. But, if they just kept on sounding the same all the time then they wouldn't be as big as they are now, would they?

AtomMasnyk
11-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Americana was my first CD> I think its one of the good albums. They have a lot of good songs on it, especially punk songs. Plus it has the Kids Arent Alright which kicks ass