PDA

View Full Version : quick photoshop help!

Nina
11-02-2006, 06:02 AM
sorry if it's dumb.

How do I cut an entire selection out to make it a new picture? I have the problem that I want the picture to have the form of the selection (like a regular gif pic), and not have a background around it. I just dunno how to do that.

Tizzalicious
11-02-2006, 06:10 AM
I think you can copy the entire selection, and then paste it in a new file that has no background. You can set the no background thing like this:

File > New

and then in the box that pops up, where it says "contents" hit "transparent".

I hope that's what you mean!

Nina
11-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Hmm..I think I didnt explain it too well.
The problem is that making the selection itself is really fucking difficult if it's a complex object. I was hoping that there'd be a tool to automatically select everything except the background. I do it the way you suggest and I use the lasso but that makes everything look like shit and very uneven. hmpf.

Tizzalicious
11-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Oooh yes, try the...wand tool, it's next to the lasso. Not sure if it'll select everything though, I think it works by colour. I've never been good with the selecting, I always just erase everything around it.

Nina
11-02-2006, 06:18 AM
The magic wand tool is useless for me because all objects I want to isolate have multiple colors and even shadows :[
I also use the eraser, in fact that's all i've been using for two days now. But when I'm through all pics I want to use I want them to not have a white background, ya know?

Tizzalicious
11-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Well you can do that too! You can erase on the background picture, that way when you erase, the erased bits are transparent. Or maybe to do that you should Copy the Background picture, then delete the original background, and erase on the copy.

Nina
11-02-2006, 06:22 AM
omfg background eraser tool.

Remember when you introducted me to "dammit, right click on the icons, nina!!!!"? Well duh. I forgot about that again. Now I know and I saw it. I will try that today. thaaankkk yyyooouuu!!!!

Tizzalicious
11-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I never use that, but I think that IS what you are looking for :) But if that doesn't work, do what I just said, that will get rid of the background too.

RickyCrack
11-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Pen tool .

Lodat225
11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I think you can copy the entire selection, and then paste it in a new file that has no background. You can set the no background thing like this:

File > New

and then in the box that pops up, where it says "contents" hit "transparent".

I hope that's what you mean!

Nina
11-11-2006, 04:57 PM
That wasnt it. I figured it out, it's actually really easy. But thanks.

Lodat225
11-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Oooh yes, try the...wand tool, it's next to the lasso. Not sure if it'll select everything though, I think it works by colour. I've never been good with the selecting, I always just erase everything around it.

Nina
11-11-2006, 05:04 PM
yeah, I get it. stfu and stop spamming.

Lodat225
11-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Woah! LANGUAGE!