PDA

View Full Version : I hate the name of the Toronto Leafs.

T-6005
11-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I mean, I know it's a proper noun and therefore doesn't need to transit to Leaves, but it still annoys me.

What's your touchy little unimportant annoyance with something that probably shouldn't concern you?

EDIT - I also realize that it's the Maple Leafs, but it's Canada so that should be assumed.

Mota Boy
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Not to mention that you've gotta feel kinda gay yelling out something like "Go Leafs!"

RickyCrack
11-03-2006, 09:50 AM
My roommates favorite team is the Maple Leafs. I am in fact a Penguins fan. Needless to say I kick his ass alot for disagreeing with me.

HornyPope
11-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I hate the Toronto Make Beliefs, too.

Tired_Of_You
11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I hate most grammar mistakes (I'm obviously talking about French, because I must do tons of mistakes in English and it's more difficult to find them in English for me haha). I'm quite good in French and I hate to see sentences with blatant mistakes. Also, when people
pronounce things in a weird way, like saying "pâge" isntead of "page". wtf.

Going to see the habs tomorrow. The Canadiens of Montreal. That's not a good name either.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I went over sports teams' nicknames as a whole with my father the other day. Maple Leafs, Bruins, Flyers, Red Wings, Canadiens, Capitals, Islanders, etc. are quite strange nicknames. Baseball has some too: Phillies, Expos (now Nationals), Mets, Sox, Dodgers, Braves, etc. These are all teams where you have to guess what the mascot is.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
for football... steelers, packers, patriots, browns, oilers, 49ers, bills, jets, texans, giants, saints...

the toronto leafs is really annoying though.

there are a lot of petty things that annoy me... I can't think of any right now.

SkunkIt
11-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Now I know what a Boston Bruin is.

I'm used to saying Toronto Maple Leafs, I would feel weird calling them the Toronto Maple Leaves.

Speaking of them, Don Cherry should have his own game, like Jon Madden.

momo1tx
11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I hate some of the generic college "fightin'" names.

C'mon, is adding Fightin' to make the University of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens sound threatening really necessary?

SkunkIt
11-03-2006, 04:23 PM
The worst name for a school team, was probably my middle school's team name. "Holy Trinity Roadrunners"

But yes, the generic "fightin" names are very annoying.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Umm... roadrunners kicks the asses of:

the Everest Evergreens

the Watertown Goslings

atleast roadrunners are fast. and animals. a plant? seriously.

fightin' is annoying. I like the Ragin' Cajuns, though. And the Golden Gophers is horribly gay. We're already a fucking Gopher. Then our mascot is designed after a chipmunk. Then we're the GOLDEN gophers. God. Someone murder the person who came up with that.

Venom Symbiote
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Lack of apostrophes in business names. You see it all the time in fast-food places and such, "Joes Burgers", "Miguels Mexican Food" or whatever the hell.

Illogical, but it royally pisses me off. I swear a vein pops out of my forehead every time I see it on the side of the highway.

0r4ng3
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
A team name I have a slight problem with is the New York Dragons, the Arena Football team. Cool mascot and all, but what the fuck do dragons have to do with New York?

Not Ozymandias
11-03-2006, 06:38 PM
A team name I have a slight problem with is the New York Dragons, the Arena Football team. Cool mascot and all, but what the fuck do dragons have to do with New York?
Good call, they're indigenous to the Southwest.

coke_a_holic
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM

less than three

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM

You seriously just made milk come out my nose.
--
I was going to respond with something how Detroit has a good team name because Tigers are just roaming all around Michigan.
-
I agree on the whole "Fightin'" thing, but it might just be because I hate the Fightin' Irish.

Twinkle
11-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh my. I know exactly how you feel. My biggest pet peeve is the little grammatical and spelling errors people make. It drives me ballistic. I have a chem teacher, who, first of all, has a lisp, and second of all is the worst speller of all time. The worst thing he's said that grated my ears was "unresponsible." I kindly and politely let him know after school that the correct term is "irresponsible." I must not have been a polite enough....but is it wrong to want to kill yourself when people say such things? And then when you correct it in class, everyone else goes, "who cares?" Well, obviously I do if I bothered to correct his spelling or mispronunciation.

bd007h
11-03-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm a HUGE Buffalo Sabres fan, and they're biggest Rival is the Toronto Maple Leafs. I fucking despise that team. They actually play eachother tomorrow. The Sabres are the best team in the NHL right now with 11 wins and one overtime loss.

wheelchairman
11-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Stupid team name?

Try the "Oregon Ducks."

:(

HeadAroundU
11-04-2006, 03:12 AM
with 11 wins and one overtime loss.
7 wins, 4 overtime wins and 1 overtime loss, actually.

H1T_That
11-04-2006, 03:19 AM
We don't seem to have the problem in the UK with football teams. There are some gay hockey team names though.

momo1tx
11-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I was on wikipedia, and found out about the basketball league in the Phillipines... all the team names are sponsors, and some of them are downright terrible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_N%27_Text_Phone_Pals

That's their full name, the Talk N' Text Phone Pals. The only cool team in that league is the Beermen,

bd007h
11-04-2006, 11:49 AM
7 wins, 4 overtime wins and 1 overtime loss, actually.

a win counts as a win no matter how it was earned

Llamas
11-04-2006, 01:08 PM
the Talk N' Text Phone Pals.

that's the gayest name I've ever heard in my life. I don't know how anyone could ever possibly cheer for them.

JohnnyNemesis
11-04-2006, 01:10 PM
It's not really a "win" if it happens in a sport like HOCKEY though. Everyone loses.

bd007h
11-04-2006, 02:31 PM
It's not really a "win" if it happens in a sport like HOCKEY though. Everyone loses.

Ouch ....

skiddles824
11-04-2006, 02:39 PM
heh heh good time to bring bak my hockey form posts
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=807942#post807942

HeadAroundU
11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
a win counts as a win no matter how it was earned
I know but it's fucking disgusting to hush it up. 7, 4, 1 is not as bad ass as 11, 0, 1.

Bazza
11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
The one thing that gets me is when people say "very unique"
Its either unique or not, end of....

Venom Symbiote
11-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I totally agree with that nomination, "Bazza". But since your name is "Bazza" you just downright piss me off too, and are just as bad as the "very unique" and "over-exaggerated" folks.

Now drown.

Izie
11-04-2006, 09:10 PM

I must question your sexuality. Papers, please.

-HP

XYlophonetreeZ
11-04-2006, 10:16 PM
The one thing that gets me is when people say "very unique"
Its either unique or not, end of....
I'll take that to another level and say that most of the time I hate it when people say "unique" at all. Seriously, can you possibly think of a more undescriptive word??

SkunkIt
11-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I totally agree with that nomination, "Bazza". But since your name is "Bazza" you just downright piss me off too, and are just as bad as the "very unique" and "over-exaggerated" folks.

Now drown.

I like the username, Bazza.

Bazza
11-05-2006, 01:05 AM
^cheers mate

A names a name, grammar etc doesnt come into to it. And what sort of username is Venom Symbiote, sounds like a little goth kid trying too hard

Dr Appetite
11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Go Oakland Athletics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!