PDA

View Full Version : Video Game system War!!

Jeff316
11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Allright well all Know that the New Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3 comes out in a couple of weeks and the 360 has been out for a year.So what system well you guys or girls be rollin with

I will get the Wii and probably in the future get a 360 when fable 2 comes out

Llamas
11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm partial to the Sega Genesis, myself.

Jojan
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Jag hoppas att jag kommer att få en Wii i julklapp. Jag har skrivit upp det på min önskelista, men den lär vara svår att få tag i till jul eftersom den släpps till jul och många lär ju vilja ha den.
I hope that I will get a Wii for Christmas.

offspring dude
11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
SONY fanboy 4 lyef mofuker.

PS3 all the way.

god damn release date delay in europe

Tigger Army
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
the only good thing PS had was FF part 5-12

since FF is now back on nintendo the last good thing about the playstation is gone

0r4ng3
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
There was also Grand Theft Auto, but now that's simultaneous with the Xbox360.

mrconeman
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I'll be getting a PS3 anyway, I may venture for a Wii way in the future if it's control system turns out to be good, I won't be going anywhere near an X-box.

EDIT: Metal Gear Solid.

Stranger With Candy
11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
im gonna get a Wii. cant whait for The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
PS1 had crash bandicoot, jet moto, tekken, twisted metal... crash bandicoot and tekken take the cake, though.

Endymion
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
wii4thewin

offspring dude
11-03-2006, 02:19 PM
EDIT: Metal Gear Solid.

i second that massively

coke_a_holic
11-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon created my childhood. Jet Moto was pretty awesome, too, I loved the Nightmare level where it was just like a highway 80,000 ft above a city.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon created my childhood. Jet Moto was pretty awesome, too, I loved the Nightmare level where it was just like a highway 80,000 ft above a city.

I forgot about spyro. crash and spyro are the best ever. and YES Nebulous from jet moto... best level EVER. dude, now I wanna go home and play spyro and jet moto all night.

wheelchairman
11-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm planning on buying a Super Nintendo system sometime soon. A good final fantasy game would be nice, maybe a mario one or two.

SkunkIt
11-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm sticking with a Play Station 2, but I might get a Wii, If It has some good games.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
how much $ are the new systems supposed to be?

Stranger With Candy
11-03-2006, 03:57 PM
how much $ are the new systems supposed to be?

Wii (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Release_date_and_price)

PS3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Release_data_and_pricing}) .

SkunkIt
11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I think G4TV said PS3 is about 700-750, but I'm not sure. Also, they said only a few PS2 games are playable on the PS3 and the few games they picked to be playable are all horrible games.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 04:06 PM
OH MY GOD. I figured that if I bought one, it'd be the PS3... but fuck no. No damn way. Anyone who'd pay that much for a videogame system needs a life. :( :( :(

killer_queen
11-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm doing great with my brother's ps2. I like just a few games anyway, spending 700$ for a videogame system is stupid. I can buy much more useful things with that money. Like... a pair of designer jeans.

mrconeman
11-03-2006, 04:12 PM
It's actually only $500 (not that that makes it much better though)
And as far as I can see, there is no reason it won't play every single PS2 game, except maybe some of the early edition ones with the blue/purple colored disks

0r4ng3
11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Actually, the PS3 is only $600. Yeah, like that makes a difference.

The Wii is gonna be about $220, and the Xbox360 is currently about $400.

mrconeman
11-03-2006, 04:17 PM
To clarify orange and I are both right about price, you can buy two different kinds of PS3, different memory space.

0r4ng3
11-03-2006, 04:18 PM
From what I heard, the basic PS3 was $500. It may have changed since I last heard of it.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 04:19 PM
god. the ps1 was like $200 at first, and dropped to $150 right away. the ps2 was like $300 at first. now $500? I find it very difficult to believe that it actually costs them $200 more per system than the ps2.

mrconeman
11-03-2006, 04:21 PM
The price is a fuckin' rip off, they can get away with it though, it really won't stop people from buying it unfortunatly..and saying that I do plan on getting one.
Though not 'till the price drops

Jebus
11-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I was a computer with a QX6700 cpu, 2 8800GTXs in SLI, and 2GBs of G.skill memory as a gaming system. Of course, I can't afford it. $250 Wii here I come!

Side note: Spyro and Crash were indeed awesome games.

0r4ng3
11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Side note: Spyro and Crash were indeed awesome games.They were, until Nintendo ruined both franchises.

coke_a_holic
11-03-2006, 04:36 PM
They were, until Nintendo ruined both franchises.

No, the developers just sold the rights to other companies, and THEY ruined the franchises. The platform developers didn't do anything but pay them to make the game.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
crash and spyro were sold? BS. *clings to Crash Bandicoot: Warped and Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage for dear life*

Tigger Army
11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I think G4TV said PS3 is about 700-750, but I'm not sure. Also, they said only a few PS2 games are playable on the PS3 and the few games they picked to be playable are all horrible games.

what the fuck? Last estimation I heard was about half of what you're saying

coke_a_holic
11-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Year of the Dragon > Ripto's Rage

Both were fanfuckingTASTIC, though.

Haha, this thread got me to get back into Crash 2: Cortex Strikes Back. Warped may have been better, but I've beaten it like 20 times, whereas I never actually finished CSB. I would get to the last level, not have a memory card, and have to turn it off. Mind you, I was like 8 years old at the time.

Endymion
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
what the fuck? Last estimation I heard was about half of what you're saying

it's 500 for the basic, 600 for the premium.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM

Haha, this thread got me to get back into Crash 2: Cortex Strikes Back. Warped may have been better, but I've beaten it like 20 times, whereas I never actually finished CSB. I would get to the last level, not have a memory card, and have to turn it off. Mind you, I was like 8 years old at the time.

I never played year of the dragon... just ripto's rage.

and the crash games got considerably easier over time. I can beat warped 100%... I can beat cortex strikes back but not with 100%... and I can NOT beat the first one.

My favorite levels are the ones where you ride the polar bear or tiger... LOVE those. I hate the ones where you fly, though.

I have a crash game for PS2... I think it's the wrath of cortex. It's good, but there are too many "special" levels... none of them are just straight up platform walk through the place and get stuff levels anymore...

WebDudette
11-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I didn't read anythign but ther first post so I don't know if it has been mentioned or not but, good computer>any system.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 06:30 PM
I disagree. I prefer the simplicity of having the controllers right there and not having to deal with keyboards and stuff. Plus I like having a big tv and couches... I definitely don't have a huge computer monitor or couches by my computer.

Jebus
11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I didn't read anythign but ther first post so I don't know if it has been mentioned or not but, good computer>any system.
word

I was a computer with a QX6700 cpu, 2 8800GTXs in SLI, and 2GBs of G.skill memory as a gaming system.
---------

I disagree. I prefer the simplicity of having the controllers right there and not having to deal with keyboards and stuff. Plus I like having a big tv and couches... I definitely don't have a huge computer monitor or couches by my computer.
I read an article somewhere saying that Microsoft is gonna start porting some of their Xbox 360 games to PC. Also, there's either gonna be a usb Xbox controller for PC or just a attachment that converts the controller to USB.

As for the TV thing, you could hook up a pc to a television if you want.

All About Eve
11-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I might be getting an XBOX 360, since my PS2 died. I want one that can double as a DVD player.

Professor Chaos
11-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I'll be sticking with my PS2 for awhile. I just got one, and Guitar Hero has owned my life, and in a few days, Guitar Hero 2 will do the same thing.

And the price of the PS3 is fucking ridiculous, and I pity the fool that buys one. The only real reason to get it would be Metal Gear Solid 4, but that's not worth 600 dollars. Far from it.

Also, there's either gonna be a usb Xbox controller for PC or just a attachment that converts the controller to USB.

They already have the converter things. My friend uses an Xbox controller when he plays Battlefield 2142.

0r4ng3
11-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I talked to some people at my school. The only ones buying a PS3 are immediately selling them on eBay for thousands. Because, remember, not only is it overpriced, it's also going to be low in supply!

Jebus
11-03-2006, 07:26 PM
They already have the converter things. My friend uses an Xbox controller when he plays Battlefield 2142.

playing a computer FPS without a mouse? eww....

Speaking of Wii, anyone catch the last south park episode?

Llamas
11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
word

---------

I read an article somewhere saying that Microsoft is gonna start porting some of their Xbox 360 games to PC. Also, there's either gonna be a usb Xbox controller for PC or just a attachment that converts the controller to USB.

As for the TV thing, you could hook up a pc to a television if you want.

I do realize that you can hook things up. However, a system is always hooked up to a tv; I don't want to have to lug my computer around and mess with cords. With a controller, you have to unplug things and switch things around. I'd rather just have them be seperate entities.

Professor Chaos
11-03-2006, 07:37 PM

Whoops, forgot to mention he only uses it for piloting vehicles.

Jeff316
11-03-2006, 09:14 PM

Speaking of Wii, anyone catch the last south park episode?

Yeah funny as hell. The coolest thing about the wii is your going to be able to download nintendo game from the Regular nintendo to the 64.(The wii will accept gamecube disks)And will also be able to download games from the sega genises and turbofax.Kick ass There will probably be people buying the wii but never play a wii game.They'll get it just to play the old games.

GreenTerror
11-03-2006, 11:05 PM

The first Spyro was the very first video game I have ever played on an actual game system. I remember being like 7, staying up until the sun came up just sitting in front of the TV in the living room with my Playstation. [Awwww <3]
I've beaten Year of the Dragon and Ripto's Rage both like 10 times. I can't get the First one or Enter the Dragonfly, though. But, I haven't played either one in quite a while.

Yeah funny as hell. The coolest thing about the wii is your going to be able to download nintendo game from the Regular nintendo to the 64.(The wii will accept gamecube disks)And will also be able to download games from the sega genises and turbofax.Kick ass There will probably be people buying the wii but never play a wii game.They'll get it just to play the old games.

I was thinking while reading this whole thread how pwning PS3 is going to be, until I read that. I want a Wii now, and I'll probably have more of a chance of getting a Wii, since it's waaaaaay cheaper. If I do end up getting a PS3, it won't be for a few years until the price DRASTICALLY drops. $500-$700? That's just ridiculous.

Llamas
11-03-2006, 11:18 PM
you people make me feel old... the original nintendo came out while I was alive... sega genesis and SNES came out when I was already 5. :(

wheelchairman
11-04-2006, 02:11 AM
I'm planning on buying a Super Nintendo system sometime soon. A good final fantasy game would be nice, maybe a mario one or two.

This is still the best reply, don't worry Llamas.

Llamas
11-04-2006, 02:17 AM
haha, I missed that one. I played some sega genesis tonight. best system ever.

WebDudette
11-04-2006, 02:23 AM
My computer doesn't weight a whole lot more then a X-Box. I remember my sister bought me a SNES when they where fairly new.

wheelchairman
11-04-2006, 02:30 AM
The problem with the sega genesis is that there were no good games for it.

That's pretty true of everything that ever came from the Sega corporation. Man it sucked. :(

WebDudette
11-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Sonic !

wheelchairman
11-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Sonic !
Has nothing on Mario.

Llamas
11-04-2006, 03:09 AM
The problem with the sega genesis is that there were no good games for it.

That's pretty true of everything that ever came from the Sega corporation. Man it sucked. :(

oh you poor unexposed soul.

sonic (can't be compared with mario... much different game)
road rash
mortal kombat
micro machines
toy story
lion king
aladdin
double dragon
NBA jam TE
plus a bunch of great games released on both SNES and genesis.

plus random games I loved that weren't popular (indiana jones, 1994 olympics, columns, etc).

sega has always owned Nintendo in sports games, too. well, nintendo has always failed at sports games... and I really enjoy sports games. sooooo that's also including hockey, soccer, football, baseball (WORLD SERIES BASEBALL FTW), golf, tennis, basketball...

<3s for sega genesis.

Birks
11-04-2006, 03:16 AM
Playstation - NEVAHR!

Viva la Wii ^^!

Endymion
11-04-2006, 07:06 AM
the only problem with the genesis was that Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker and Shaq-Fu were both better on the SNES.

wheelchairman
11-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Mortal Kombat later went on to the Nintendo and playstation systems I believe. As well as double dragon. Even Earthworm Jim and all it's fun.

And sports games on systems were something I've never thought was fun (except FIFA 2003).

However the SNES has the best rpgs ever made. And some of the best platform based games as well as racing games. Yay!

Cartridge based systems just made so much sense. No loading times.

mrconeman
11-04-2006, 08:31 AM
I was thinking while reading this whole thread how pwning PS3 is going to be, until I read that. I want a Wii now, and I'll probably have more of a chance of getting a Wii, since it's waaaaaay cheaper. If I do end up getting a PS3, it won't be for a few years until the price DRASTICALLY drops. $500-$700? That's just ridiculous.

Are you serious? You're considering buying a Wii only for its back console ability?
Seriously, download a few console emulators entirely free, download all the roms you need, entirely free, and buy a USB control pad adaptor for whatever gaming control you already have for maybe around $20. Hell if you really wanna go all out buy one of those leads (forget the name) that connects your pc to your TV and you pretty much have every console before the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox right there for free, including arcade games.
That's what I did, and I can tell you it's fucking fun.

EDIT: To add to current debate, the Super Nintendo is the greatest console ever made.

0r4ng3
11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
With the Wii, you can download that stuff legally.

mrconeman
11-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah at the cost of buying a Wii.
I'm just pointing out that the back console ability shouldn't really be the swinging point of choosing which console you're going to buy.

SuperKnux
11-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Sega Dreamcast forever.

I grew out of the video game fad after the Dreamcast demise, but I did see that Wii thing.

Do people really like it, or is it one of those internet fads like Snakes on a Plane where it's so bad, it's good sorta deal? Cause the Wii looks like ass to me.

Stranger With Candy
11-06-2006, 02:49 PM
i just pre ordered the Nintendo Wii and The Legend of Zelda :D i cant whait.

Lodat225
11-06-2006, 02:50 PM
The 360 is a good system, the Nintendo Wii will have the best sales of the 3, and the PS3 is the superior console.

Lodat225
11-06-2006, 02:51 PM
i just pre ordered the Nintendo Wii and The Legend of Zelda :D i cant whait.

Yeah, i am getting the Legend of Zelda TTP too.

Venom Symbiote
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
The 360 is a good system, the Nintendo Wii will have the best sales of the 3, and the PS3 is the superior console.

La la laaa, WRONG, la la laaaaah!

Nintendo is, always has been, and always will be the superior console-manufacturer. Sony is a bullshit company when it comes to videogames. Their other appliances are quality, but their forays into the game world have been tainted by their shitty attitudes towards just about everything. The Playstation name brand will bomb this time, trust me.

The PS3 will come on strong until early next year, but it'll drop off.

In the long haul the Wii will win out. And still have the best games. And interface.

Innovation, mother-bitches.

Lodat225
11-06-2006, 03:03 PM

I'm right. Laaaah!

Acoustic1804
11-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I hear the graphics for these new Xbox 360's and PS3's will be better than computer graphics....for about a month. Computers will always be superior. Don't waste your money.

Llamas
11-06-2006, 10:54 PM

Nintendo is, always has been, and always will be the superior console-manufacturer. Sony is a bullshit company when it comes to videogames. Their other appliances are quality, but their forays into the game world have been tainted by their shitty attitudes towards just about everything. The Playstation name brand will bomb this time, trust me.

In the long haul the Wii will win out. And still have the best games. And interface.

I'm interested to find out how close to the truth this is. I'd like to quote you on it. Because I think you're wrong. I think PS3 will be way better than the Wii, and the only reason Wii will sell more is because of the cost.

Tigger Army
11-06-2006, 11:05 PM
I hear the graphics for these new Xbox 360's and PS3's will be better than computer graphics....for about a month. Computers will always be superior. Don't waste your money.

ah yes, the new generation where graphics mean more than gameplay... indeed

wheelchairman
11-07-2006, 01:43 AM

I'm quoting you, as a former business student, I am telling you that you are dead wrong and your bias comes from personal experience. The consumer market will react differently.

It'll be interesting though. Which of the 3 will be more popular. I don't have any numbers, but I think in Denmark in the last generation of systems, the PS2 was a lot more common than the Xbox.

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 02:21 AM
PS2 was the clear worldwide market leader this generation, yes.

But people are going to be buying two consoles this generation, that's the deciding factor. Maybe not straight away, but over the long-term, definitely. People who own PS3s and 360s will be purchasing a Wii as a secondary machine.

It's a different audience entirely, Nintendo finally has their shit together this time around.

Oh yeah, and why the fuck do I care whether or not you're a business student? That doesn't give you much authority here.

wheelchairman
11-07-2006, 02:25 AM
No, I just think that I understand the way the business market works slightly better than you.

I don't think that the people who buy the 360 and PS3 will go out and eventually buy a Wii. I don't know any Xbox owners who went out and bought a PS3 because it was superior.

You haven't even played the Wii. I just think that you've fallen for their marketing. And they do have some nice design on the system so it's understandable.

Lodat225
11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
PS2 was the clear worldwide market leader this generation, yes.

But people are going to be buying two consoles this generation, that's the deciding factor. Maybe not straight away, but over the long-term, definitely. People who own PS3s and 360s will be purchasing a Wii as a secondary machine.

It's a different audience entirely, Nintendo finally has their shit together this time around.

Oh yeah, and why the fuck do I care whether or not you're a business student? That doesn't give you much authority here.

The Nintendo Wii will have the best sales. PS3 wont. The 360 sales was dead in Japan. The Nintendo Wii will own them both,

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
No, I just think that I understand the way the business market works slightly better than you.

Wow! Way to be condescending. I mean, hey, I have a dual journalism/marketing degree with some minors in psychology, but hey, whatever. You're the boss.

I don't think that the people who buy the 360 and PS3 will go out and eventually buy a Wii. I don't know any Xbox owners who went out and bought a PS3 because it was superior.

The PS3 is $600. The Wii, my friend, is not.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I think what will happen is that ps3 will flop in the beginning due to price, and so they will cut the price drastically. then it will kick the ass of the wii. playstation has been known to do that with both of their old systems... overpriced at first, then slash prices and it kicks ass.

Lodat225
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow! Way to be condescending. I mean, hey, I have a dual journalism/marketing degree with some minors in psychology, but hey, whatever. You're the boss.

The PS3 is $600. The Wii, my friend, is not.

Who cares? Anybody with a good paycheck could afford a PS3 in a week's pay.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you don't have better things to spend your money on. Yes, I could afford to spend $600 on a video game system, but if I can get a video game system for half the price, and then spend the rest on something else, I'm going to. It's simple logic.

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I think what will happen is that ps3 will flop in the beginning due to price, and so they will cut the price drastically. then it will kick the ass of the wii. playstation has been known to do that with both of their old systems... overpriced at first, then slash prices and it kicks ass.

You do know it's already being sold at a loss, right? They pretty-much can't significantly cut the price of the PS3, as they're already losing like a hundred bucks on each one purchased. They're hoping to make money through the software. Which, without a huge installed userbase like the PS2 had, they won't be able to do.

And as for the second part, nope: Nintendo's mistake in the past few generations has been overpricing. The N64 was always more expensive than the PSX, and people went to the PSX because of it, among other things. Software was cheaper for the original playstation too, adding to the situation.

Lodat? Like Llamas said, that's really not the point.

People can buy both an Xbox 360 and a Wii for the price of Sony's machine. It simply doesn't make any sense to go with the PS3, since the Xbox and PS3 are so similar in terms of capabilities anyway (Blu-Ray excepted). You get both the raw power of the 360 AND the innovation and hardcore games of the Wii for the same damn price.

I mean, fuck, FINANCIAL ANALYSTS who have dumped all over Nintendo in the past decade are saying the Wii is going to be an overwhelming success. In the same vein as the DS, which is kicking people in the tits all around the world.

The Wii won't be losing this generation, just trust me on that. The Xbox will, with the PS3 surviving on its raw horsepower. The Wii appeals to a completely different market, it's NOT dividing its marketshare up with Sony and Microsoft. That's not even the intention. It's going after people MS and Sony don't have their grasp on, making a new demographic.

It will sell like goddamn hotcakes, if the pre-orders and buzz are anything to go by. I mean, I'm trying to remember the analyst predictions here: 800, 000 PS3s shipped by December, 4 million Wiis. Something like that. :rolleyes:

Sony have fucked up their production lines, marketing, and price figures. They have an uphill battle to fight here, it's really as simple as that.

GBH2
11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
i'm going for the xbox 360 probably, because the ps3 is out of my price range. i would think about coming up with the money to get it, but i wouldn't be suprised if the ps3's power will turn out to be as much of an advantage over the 360 as the original xbox's was over the ps2 (very little). with so many publishers simply doing multi-system ports, i doubt the ps3's superior technology will be pushed to its limits for years down the road.

and the "wii" is simply out of the question. it is just a stupid gimmick, and is basically nintendo raising the white flag to microsoft and sony.

thats my 2 cents

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
and the "wii" is simply out of the question. it is just a stupid gimmick, and is basically nintendo raising the white flag to microsoft and sony.

Can I ask how long you've been gaming? Because the D-Pad, Analogue Stick, Inter-console Connectivity, and Rumble Pack were all considered "gimmicks" too. All designed and implemented by Nintendo. Also the dual-screen handheld system, which hasn't been ripped off by anyone else as of yet, but is extremely successful.

0r4ng3
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I hate it when people say they don't like the Wii because it's a gimmick. That's basically what innovation is. What do you think people thought of the first NES when it first came out? Gimmick. How about the rumble pack for the N64? Gimmick. Dual Screen for the DS? Gimmick. All of which work very well.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM
orange, great job saying the same thing VS said, 7 minutes later. ;)

But I agree. It's all about coming up with new, innovative ideas. I think the wii controller looks interesting. the Rumble pack became standard- playstation controllers now come with that feature built in. playstation and sega used the "gimmik" of using discs instead of cartridges... everyone else realized that was a good idea and conformed. and how about the online competition capabilities? gimmiks? If you're going to avoid something because they dare to try something new, then you shouldn't be buying things anyway. :)

0r4ng3
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM
orange, great job saying the same thing VS said, 7 minutes later. ;)
But...I thought of it 7 minutes before that. He just kind of said it better and got the ball rolling.

Personally, I think that buying the PS3 is paying 600 dollars for bragging rights, nothing more.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 08:51 PM
If I was into buying systems the day they come out, I'd be all up on the ps3. But I like to wait until they're decent in price (I waited till sega genesis was about $60, and both PS1 and PS2 were $100). PS3 seems the best to me, though. However, that price is ridiculous.

Isolated Fury
11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
My views have been thoroughly expressed in the previous post.

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Thing is, like I said, the PS3 won't come down in price. Not for years. At a significant level, anyway, I mean...you might have it dropped fifty bucks for Christmas next year, but the fact that they're already making a loss on each one sold (never a good sign for any company) doesn't give them any room to move.

The Xbox may see a price decrease within the next year, and the Wii will probably stay the same price for another 3 years (maybe with a game or something bundled in occasionally for crucial sales periods). Although, the Wii's only $250 US...with a goddamn game, so you won't get a better deal than that.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
do keep in mind that, at $600, the ps3 probably won't sell that well, and they will be desperate to make sales. Do you think they'd rather sit on a bunch of PS3s they can't sell, or lower the price and take even more loss?

coke_a_holic
11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I considered quoting everything Llamas has said on this page and write "I generally agree" underneath, but instead I'll just say that I agree with everything her past 3 posts save space. The PS3 looks awesome, but until it has more games and less price, I'll continue using my Playstation 2 as a DVD player with occasional gaming. I just need more games, I've exhausted my library.

That's another thing, though. I'm not done with the Playstation 2 yet, why should I move onto another system when they're still pumping out games for the predecessor?

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Can I just ask how the PS3 looks any more "awesome" than the 360? I mean, aside from having a Blu-Ray drive and marginally better graphics?

That aside the functionality is essentially exactly the same, just a different brand.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Can I just ask how the PS3 looks any more "awesome" than the 360? I mean, aside from having a Blu-Ray drive and marginally better graphics?

That aside the functionality is essentially exactly the same, just a different brand.

Better graphics (marginally, too), bigger storage, HD quality, higher resolution, "In games, not only will movement of characters and objects be far more refined and realistic, but landscapes and virtual worlds can also be rendered in real-time, thereby elevating the freedom of graphics expression to levels not experienced in the past", better sound, much better/less obnoxious controllers, faster/raw processing power...

For me, the biggest things are the controllers (I've hated the microsoft and nintendo controllers since the N64/PS generation), and the fact that I've much preferred the playability of PS games over XBox games. I've also preferred the playstation game library to the xbox game library.

Venom Symbiote
11-07-2006, 10:23 PM
*sigh*

So says the Sony spin.

It's essentially capable of doing the exact same things as Microsoft's machine, with a little more storage space. The graphics aren't that much better. It's like with the GC and PS2: the GC was the more powerful console, but not by enough to matter.

And seeing how Sony's first-party games are shit and most of their third-parties are cancelling exclusivity on their big titles, doesn't look like they have anywhere near as much to offer this time around.

Be cautious, all I'm saying.

Llamas
11-07-2006, 10:33 PM
*sigh*

So says the Sony spin.

It's essentially capable of doing the exact same things as Microsoft's machine, with a little more storage space. The graphics aren't that much better. It's like with the GC and PS2: the GC was the more powerful console, but not by enough to matter.

And seeing how Sony's first-party games are shit and most of their third-parties are cancelling exclusivity on their big titles, doesn't look like they have anywhere near as much to offer this time around.

Be cautious, all I'm saying.

why should I be cautious? "If I was into buying systems the day they come out, I'd be all up on the ps3. But I like to wait until they're decent in price (I waited till sega genesis was about $60, and both PS1 and PS2 were $100)."

WebDudette
11-07-2006, 10:38 PM
The point is Wii has Brawl and that is the only game I'm looking forward to thus far. Other then Zelda but that is still for GC is it not?

wheelchairman
11-08-2006, 02:27 AM
I don't remember anyone who liked the rumble pack. Playstation also developed controllers like that, however I believe it was after the N64.

I'm not sure how well we can go on Pre-Orders. If people are to make regret decisions regarding the products who knows. Or how well the Japanese response will reflect the American.

What I'm more interested in, is how much will user loyalty to the brands apply. I think it will play a considerable role if already a lot of people think the Wii is a gimmick. When others clearly think the opposite.

Also a lot of the purchasers are gonna be people who just don't care about the battle of propaganda that flies back and forth, or will be too ignorant to really discern anything of use to themselves.

So how that will work out is interesting. If the nintendo wiii still has the majority sales 1½ and a half from now.Then I'll accept you are right, and post a sad face or something.

Endymion
11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
by the way, the PS3 and the 360 are completely different, hardware-wise. and it comes down to ps3 using a cell processor. in the end, however, they are approximately as powerful as each other.

0r4ng3
11-08-2006, 10:50 AM
One major selling point that the PS3 has is the blu-ray. The average blu-ray DVD players are going for $1000+. So buy it as a DVD player. As a console, though, it's not worth it.

Even so, I don't see the point in blu-ray. Sure, it holds more data, but do DVDs really need all that space? At least HD-DVDs are faster.

GBH2
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Can I ask how long you've been gaming? Because the D-Pad, Analogue Stick, Inter-console Connectivity, and Rumble Pack were all considered "gimmicks" too. All designed and implemented by Nintendo. Also the dual-screen handheld system, which hasn't been ripped off by anyone else as of yet, but is extremely successful.
can i ask how long you've been a condescending douchebag?

it is a gimmick.
from wikipedia:

In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries.

for now, no one can say if it [motion sensor technology in home consoles] will be successful. personally, i think it probably will be, but only after it is implemented into machines people actually want to buy. mostly, it is the games that draw people to the systems (that is why i am going for the 360 or ps3); you know, there is a reason why the gamecube sold poorly.

and the ds is retarded, so thats not a valid point.

0r4ng3
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
The DS being retarded is your opinion (or belief, whatever), but you can't deny that it sold well, so they must be doing something right.

Endymion
11-08-2006, 09:54 PM
and the ds is retarded, so thats not a valid point.

i agree. except the part about it being retarded, because it's actually the best system i've ever used. wireless connectivity + touch screen = awesometastic.

Jebus
11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
From a developer's point of view, both system (x-box and ps3) are about the same graphics wise. Although the ps3 wins in sheer proccessing power, the xbox is able to overcome that because it has more memory. Well, that's the best I could explain it from an article I read a while ago.

Stranger With Candy
11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
i agree. except the part about it being retarded, because it's actually the best system i've ever used. wireless connectivity + touch screen = awesometastic.

+ games like: New Super Mario Bros. Mario Kart DS, Phoenix Wright, Wario Ware Touched. etc.
the DS is awesome.

Llamas
11-08-2006, 10:19 PM
I'd like to get a PSP, but I know I won't be able to afford one before the next gen comes out. The newest portable system I have is a regular gameboy advance. I prefer the PSP to the DS, though.

sKratch
11-08-2006, 10:35 PM
wii4thewin

And that's why wii were meant to bii.

0r4ng3
11-09-2006, 10:23 AM
+ games like: New Super Mario Bros. Mario Kart DS, Phoenix Wright, Wario Ware Touched. etc.
the DS is awesome.
Also, Star Fox Command. Best handheld game I've played in a long time.

Stranger With Candy
11-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Also, Star Fox Command. Best handheld game I've played in a long time.

i have played that one yet. but as soon as i get my money im gonna buy it.

noodles_is_cool
11-10-2006, 12:17 AM
this is a tough descision because i would get the wii but i dont want to be dancing around the loungeroom because i look like a dick plus you get tired in 5 mins

i probs get PS3 ( exept the controller is basically a massive banana, kinda weird)

Professor Chaos
11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I can't believe how much Sony changed the design of the controller.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/PS3s_and_controllers_at_E3_2006.jpg/800px-PS3s_and_controllers_at_E3_2006.jpg

Jeff316
11-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I'd like to get a PSP, but I know I won't be able to afford one before the next gen comes out. The newest portable system I have is a regular gameboy advance. I prefer the PSP to the DS, though.

The psp sucks.Nothing but a bunch of shitty games.Graphics are good but thats shit when its not fucking fun to play.The DS kicks psps ass.

Kristi920
11-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Since I'm total sony fangirl I'll be going for the 3 when I have enough money.
Probably after I get Medal of Honor and Ace Combat fore the PSP.

0r4ng3
11-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I figured I'll bump this thread, seeing as this console war goes into full swing tomorrow. Actually, later today.

I still don't have a friggin' Xbox360. I'm going through Gears of War withdrawal and I've never even played the damn thing.

Rag Doll
11-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm going through Gears of War withdrawal and I've never even played the damn thing.

i take it that game is supposed to be pretty good? one of my friends has been talking about it nonstop and held off giving his friends money for their electric bill in order to buy it.

Venom Symbiote
11-18-2006, 11:37 PM
"Wii4thewin". Pssh, haha. Awesome-o.

That should be their marketing slogan. Almost as funny as the initial one for the DS, "Touching is good".

Or Microsoft's "It's good to play together".

Bwahahaha! :p I can't believe they chose those.

Harnum
11-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Me and a friend watched a PS3 climb to $7100 on eBay 2 days ago. Some people are nuts!

Ryder1234
11-19-2006, 04:41 PM
^^thats why im waiting 1-2 years before getting one, plus by then there will be more than like, 8 games like there is now

0r4ng3
11-19-2006, 04:45 PM
I played the Wii at my friend's house today, and I gotta say it's pretty interesting. I don't see myself actually owning one, though, unless my brother asks for it for Christmas or something.

Harnum
11-19-2006, 04:50 PM
I think I might actually want to get Wii. Seems interesting.

PS: HI JESSE! I AM BACK.

Venom Symbiote
11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I played it at the local mall today (it's not released here for like two weeks though), and the control scheme works even better than I'd expected.

It's fluid, it's tight, it's accurate, it actually enhances things to an amazing degree.

Nice work, Shiggy and Co.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Just to let you all know and to be nice, in less than 10 minutes, on Amazon.com (www.amazon.com), a thousand Xbox 360s are being sold for a $100.

Edit: Traffic is nuts. I don't think I'll make it. In other news, I really want a Wii.

Edit2: Sold out after less than ten minutes. :(

Lars
11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Lucky for those that are in amazon buildings they'll have very minimal fuss accessing provided they're on their internal network.

Venom Symbiote
11-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Shit, that's insane. That's like $150 here, I think they're about $450 at retail.

Anyhoo, played the Wii again today, good shit, good shit.

A few questions to you guys/girls in the U.S.:

- Is Zelda really Ocarina Of Time quality? :eek: Because that's what I keep hearing.

- And about the WiiConnect24 or whatever it's called, the Broadband thing. How does that work, you just can't turn off the machine or something? Or it just updates online every time you turn it on? I seriously know nothing about this stuff, I've never had to deal with consoles being online so far. And to set it up, what, you just use a normal computer router to send the connection to your living room or whatever?

0r4ng3
11-23-2006, 03:19 PM
From what I've been hearing, the Xbox360 is the worst of the three. Doesn't matter, I'll still be stubborn and get one.